Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
My first experience with the new Hardmode desert content was during a Sandstorm. I think I was in cobalt armor, maybe? I got shredded in very quick, very short order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

It should be noted that the Steampunker's Teleporter is amazingly super useful to get. It (plus a pile of wires and a switch or two) drastically cuts down on travel time and you can create a network to your most traveled locations quite easily. I normally set up one in the Underground Jungle (near the temple) and one at the entrance of the Dungeon - that covers most of the upcoming major progression points. The ability to go from home to the Dungeon (and back any time since you've gotta have a Magic Mirror by this point) instantly rather than needing several minutes is a huge quality of life boost.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Teleporters are also key to some super cheesy boss farms that people should look up on youtube once the LP is over.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Teleporters are also cool as hell and make my inner ten year old so happy. You don't need more.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
They are also the reason you should cut down any wire you see. It takes several stacks of wire to hook up your entire world with teleporters.

Fortunately, you only need one horizontal backbone for your world. Teleporters can have three different destinations, so you just run two wires, one from each end of the teleporter, to the backbone and make a cut between the two junctions on the backbone. Put a switch on the left and right, and just keep clicking a switch to move in that direction.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Double Punctuation posted:

Teleporters can have three a staggering number of different destinations,

While I doubt it will be shown off, you can actually make teleporter networks of harrowing complexity if you're so inclined.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Without getting even too complicated, you can easily set up a hell of a network - one outside your base goes to three locales. Each of those can connect to two more. And you only need to make them one-way, as just Mirroring home gets you back to the central hub. By the time you get the teleporter, there's only maybe 4-5 places worth setting it up to. Maybe 2-3 more if you're doing a lot of fishing in weird biomes.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Never really bothered with teleporters. By the time you get them, your movement options are already pretty amazing.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
Teleporters are three blocks wide, so a single teleporter can have eight different connections to it. Four different colors of wire, coming from the two ends of the block:

But teleporters have an area of effect. They don't teleport whatever's directly on top of it, they'll teleport anything in the 3x3 space above them. So you can stack one teleporter on top of another to get twelve teleports, which is easily enough to hook up every important area in a large world:

While standing on the top teleporter, you'll still be transported by the bottom one as well.

You can take this a step further and put three teleporters together to get a total of sixteen teleports:

But that's not the end of it. Teleporters work while actuated, and you'll still be teleported even if you're standing in the middle of the teleporter. So you can place down a FOURTH teleporter, actuate it, and be in the range of twenty different teleports:

But wait, there's more! You can combine EIGHT teleporters, four tall and two wide, and if you stand on the two blocks right in the middle of the two stacks, you can be in range of a mind boggling thirty two teleports from a single location!

ousire fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 14, 2016

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Holy hell, that is insane overkill I am definitely going to use the hell out of for shits and giggles

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I never used teleporters because wiring them takes forever and it's pretty boring too.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Or you could use logic gates and go basically wherever you want.

Of course, with these setups, you still have to hit the right switch. Putting the teleporters in a line means you just put two switches in the same spots on each teleporter and spam the one you want until you get to your destination, like so:

pre:
━━━━┑ ┍━━━━━━━━┑ ┍━━━━━━━━┑ ┍━━━━
    <A>        <B>        <C>
    ╘═╛        ╘═╛        ╘═╛
< and > are switches. Just run wire over the switch and the part of the teleporter immediately below it. From A, you would click > twice to get to C, and from C, click < twice to get to A.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You should use Code not Pre

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
#34 - Jungle Boogie

Hello everyone and welcome back to Rivershire. Today we're catching a minecart track over to the jungle. We're also wearing the spider armor because I have an addiction to summoned minions.

Something about this shot brings to mind a quote from Robin Williams. Suddenly I feel right at home....

While you could visit the underground jungle at any point after entering hard mode, there's very little to be found here until where we are now. The enemies are heads and shoulders way above what you should be dealing with on a fresh hard mode character, and all you'd be doing is grinding these badass jungle creatures for a couple low percent drops.

The derplings on the surface are perhaps somewhat weak for our gear, but that will soon change. The hard mode underground jungle is one of the few places in all of Terraria that I give a wide berth until I absolutely have to. The hard mode dungeon and hard mode hell are the others.

Moss hornets are the most common thing to find down here. They're just souped up regular hornets with a lot more life and damage. They also have a 0.67% chance to drop a tattered bee wing that you can use to make your own set of insect wings. Their stingers deal 60 ranged damage, and if we didn't have our Ankh Shield, they would also poison us. They're also just as deadly in melee range, as contact damage with them deals 70 damage!

These guys here are going to account for most of our lost health down here. They're like winged venomous snipers in that they can perfectly aim those stingers to hit you from clear across the screen, while hidden by vines.

So if the underground jungle is so dangerous, why are we here? Well, three reasons. First are the boss fights I've been alluding to for half of hard mode. Those biome keys are locked by a boss fight down here, after all.

The second reason is pictured right here in the shot. See that weird little plant on the far right of the image?

When you've defeated at least one mechanical boss, these start growing down here. Life fruits increase your maximum HP by 5 points, and you can have a maximum of 500 HP. So, we need to find 20 of these bad boys.

That's easier said than done. Don't expect to see Sam with maximum HP until we're ready to actually fight that boss. It takes me a disconcertingly long time to find 20 life fruits.

:toot: 1 down, 19 to go.

While we're chowing down on healthy fruit, on the right side of the screen, a new enemy is reaching for us. This is the angry trapper and it has a unique weapon drop we'll see before too long. You do not want these guys to touch you, as they deal 100 contact damage.

Out of the darkness comes a new enemy. These spidery enemies have no worthwhile drops, and only exist to poison you. They deal 50 contact damage, which is honestly less than their black recluse cousins we test new weapons on. :psyduck:

Giant tortoises are the jungle version of the ice tortoise we saw last time. These guys are also pretty badass. Just touching them deals 80 contact damage, but these guys occasionally spin their shells around like a top and bounce around the environment. Touching them in this state deals 160 contact damage. Their only drop is a turtle shell item at a 5.88% chance.

You only ever need 3 turtle shells, and only to craft the next tier of melee armor. With that said, the turtle armor is awesome. It has 65 defense and has an innate 100% thorns effect. If you want to get up in an enemy's grill, it is absolutely the set you should pursue.

So you remember when I said we were down here for three things? Here's the third now. This green ore is Chlorophyte Ore, and it starts growing at the beginning of hard mode. It's the next step up the progression ladder, and is something you absolutely should build a farm for.

Chlorophyte has some very odd spawn conditions. It will grow on its own in underground jungle biomes, but only so much can be on a screen at once. So a patch like this is impeding the growth of other nearby Chlorophyte.

It's also the jungle's defense mechanism. Chlorophyte will actively resist the spread of evil and good, and in some cases even reverse it. Yes, nearby Chlorophyte can turn corrupted grass into jungle grass, and dirt into mud. It's not a fast process, but it can and will happen. Because of the weird limitations in how much Chlorophyte can grow on a single screen, don't expect to see the jungle overtaking the world anytime soon.

Before you get any funny ideas about running down into the jungle and mining out a bunch of Chlorophyte on a fresh hard mode world, hold up. While Terraria's progression can be bent and even snapped in a lot of cases, the endgame stuff is one area where progression is strictly enforced. To even mine Chlorophyte, you need a 200% power pickaxe or drill. That means you need a Drax or a Pickaxe Axe, which means the mechanical bosses need to die first.

We get a surprising distance down through the jungle before we finally see this. This cute little pink bulb is the spawning item for the next boss. Unlike the bee larvae, it can't be destroyed by an errant shot, but you still want to be careful around it all the same. If you destroy it with a mining tool, or destroy the block it's sitting on... well, I'm sure I don't need to explain what will happen.

Moving on, we have a new entry in the DoubleNegative is loving blind department. The yoyo on the ground in front of us that I only just now saw is the Yelets. It starts dropping from enemies down here at a 0.5% chance once a mechanical boss is dead. It deals 60 base damage.

However, not 20 seconds later we pick this up from an angry trapper. This is the weapon I was talking about, and you can get it as soon as you get into hard mode provided you're lucky.

We're packing heat now. Sure it's not as powerful as our Megashark, but there's a certain awesomeness in packing a machine pistol. Here's a fullscreen webm version if you're into that sort of thing.

Let's fast forward to the end of the first jungle trip. My inventory got full and there wasn't anything I could easily trash, so it was time to come back.

Requiring 6 ore per bar, Chlorophyte bars are one of the most expensive in the game. We have 197 ore, which is enough for 32 bars and 5 ore left over.

Like most other armors before it, Chlorophyte Armor takes 54 bars, so a suit of that is still out of our reach for now.

Chlorophyte digging tools only have a slightly increased range over the hallowed versions, so there's no point in upgrading there.

We can make an automatic hammer as an upgrade to... whatever the hell it is we're using right now. Probably the Hammush. But there's still better things to spend this precious green ore on.

This, on the other hand... this we can work with. It looks unassuming enough, but this crossbow is one of the best ranged weapons we've seen yet in the game.

I don't really have an opinion on these weapons. I've never used them before, to be honest. But my feelings on previous melee weapons still stand: namely, I don't see a point in using them when it's safer 100 times out of 100 to go with a ranged option. So we'll stick with our Shadowflame Knives and Light Discs for now.

For the next thing I want to show off, we're back down in Hell. This is the safest place to set up our next farm, which has to be underground to work.

I like building a 5x5 box out of mud, but other sizes will work as well. The key here is to use mud and to not make the box too big. Also be sure that you leave the center empty.

You then take a spare piece of Chlorophyte ore and stick it in the middle of your mud box. Congratulations, you've successfully set up a Chlorophyte farm. You'll want to place several such boxes at least half a screen apart down here in Hell. The distance is the key, so the weird growth mechanics don't impede each individual box.

Also just because you've killed a few bosses doesn't mean you should stop dodging. This is going to hurt. A lot.

Red Devils are dangerous as hell. Never let yourself get hit by their tridents.

Jumping ahead, something some of you in the thread said you wanted to see was Sam taking on a normal mode boss, just to see how far we've come. Given that when I played wow, most of my playtime went to randomly crushing old dungeons, I'm always happy to humiliate early game bosses for no particularly good reason.

To that end, I present to you the Queen Bee "rematch." It's guest starring the podcast I was listening to at the time.

Queen Bee Rematch

I mentioned these moths several updates back, but these are the last enemies in the underground jungle that we haven't seen yet. It has a 50% chance to drop the butterfly dust, which lets you make a set of butterfly wings.

:psyduck: I've never seen this item before in my life, and I just found it randomly in a jungle shrine while scouring the entire jungle for life fruits.

Finally, to end this update, on one of my return trips to the treefort, it's raining heavily. I've been waiting for this. Let's head back to the snow biome...

Heavy rain in the world means a blizzard in the snow biome.

Ice golems are miniboss enemies that only show up during blizzards. They have a 33.3% chance to drop an ice feather, a 100% chance to drop a frost core, and a 2% chance to drop a magic weapon called the frost staff.

We need 3 frost cores.

That's two down, as well as an ice feather. So we'll have all the drops that I care about once we get the last golem.

Let's get the hell out of here.

So why was I so eager to get ice cores?

We're gonna need about 54 titanium bars, but here's our answer. The Frost armor is good. It has more defense than the hallowed ranged set, and causes all melee and ranged attacks to inflict the frostburn debuff. Its equivalent is the set made from forbidden fragments in the desert, except that set boosts summon and magic damage.

We look awesome now.

Even our basic shots from our bag of infinite ammo have the frostburn effect attached.

Same with our light discs. Like I said, it's all melee and ranged attacks.

Because it's a shared melee and ranged set, it doesn't have any ammo conservation bonuses. It does, however, boost our damage output by quite a lot.

Let's have a little fun. Sure the magma stone only affects melee attacks, but our light discs count, which is good enough for me.

Now our chakrams have high damage, and inflict both frostburn and regular burn.

If you think back a ways, you may remember that I mentioned the Wall of Flesh can drop emblems that boost a type of damage by like 15%. Well, if you take one of those emblems and combine it with 5 of each type of boss soul, you can turn it into a universal emblem that boosts all damage types by 12%.

Also if you take a titan's glove (dropped by mimics) and combine it with feral claws (found randomly in jungle shrines), you can get a power glove.

You can then combine the power glove and the avenger's emblem into a mechanical glove that does everything both accessories did.

You can then combine that mechanical glove with a magma stone to create one of the most amazing melee accessories in the game. Sure you lose 2% damage bonus, but I think it's worth it, don't you?

NEXT TIME: We face the master of the Jungle.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 17, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've added a section for testimonials to the OP after I recieved some Twitter feedback on this latest update:

https://twitter.com/GrassLamb/status/809177667903881216

If you have a (funny) testimonial, post it and I'll add yours as well!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 15, 2016

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The Shadowflame Knife/Frost Armor/Fire Stone combo is absolutely awesome and can carry you through a LOT of Hard Mode. As the only thing that's even tough to get is the Titanium/Adamanite (and those, as demonstrated, can be gotten with crates), you can get it within an hour of starting Hard Mode and it doesn't seriously lose steam until a boss AFTER this next boss. (Though it is surpassed by other options by then, it's still quite capable.) You'd think Frost Cores would be hard to get, but Ice Golems are really easily stunlocked and can't touch you through solid blocks.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
One Chlorophyte option you neglected to mention, and my personal favourite use of the ore(as-is) is Chlorophyte Bullets. They have a middling damage level but their claim to fame is that they home in on enemies. Like, really well. To the point where bullets will curve around you to hit nearby targets behind you. This makes spraying, low-accuracy weapons like the Shotgun(in all its many wondrous forms) even more devastating. You can make 70 bullets per bar.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lazy Bear posted:

One Chlorophyte option you neglected to mention, and my personal favourite use of the ore(as-is) is Chlorophyte Bullets. They have a middling damage level but their claim to fame is that they home in on enemies. Like, really well. To the point where bullets will curve around you to hit nearby targets behind you. This makes spraying, low-accuracy weapons like the Shotgun(in all its many wondrous forms) even more devastating. You can make 70 bullets per bar.

Oh don't you worry. Given that Sam has become a ranged character instead of a magic based one like I was angling for, I have a specific gun I'm gonna show Chlorophyte bullets off with.

https://youtu.be/0T6ANbL3SMw?t=28

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

You can eventually make a potion that makes your melee attacks do cursed fire damage as well. One fun thing to do is to stack that with the frost armor and magma stone (or other suitable items), and your melee attacks will all glow with regular red flame, blue frost flame, and green cursed flame at the same time.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
It is worth pointing out that On Fire! is actually a pretty weak DOT, so the extra 2% damage can really matter, especially if you're playing on Expert mode where min-maxing is emphasized more.

...not to spoil anything, but have Flasks been covered at all yet?

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

DoubleNegative posted:

Oh don't you worry. Given that Sam has become a ranged character instead of a magic based one like I was angling for, I have a specific gun I'm gonna show Chlorophyte bullets off with.

https://youtu.be/0T6ANbL3SMw?t=28

Thank you. THANK YOU. If it's the gun I'm thinking of, you'll show exactly why I love them.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It is worth pointing out that On Fire! is actually a pretty weak DOT, so the extra 2% damage can really matter, especially if you're playing on Expert mode where min-maxing is emphasized more.

...not to spoil anything, but have Flasks been covered at all yet?

I mentioned they exist in an earlier update. I don't think I actually have a recording of making it, but a flask is part of my preparation for the upcoming boss. I'll talk more about it then.

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

One thing that's worth pointing out is that while you can't wear multiples of the same accessory, the different emblems should all still stack. So in theory if you really wanted to go for maximum damage, you could wear a warrior emblem, avengers emblem, mechanical glove, and fire gauntlet, which all should stack damage bonuses. You could even reforge them all with the goblin to have additional damage modifiers.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

We're also finally getting to some of what I would say are end game accessories (aside from Ankh Shield and Wings). Mech Glove or Fire Gauntlet are probably some of your best specialized damage boosting options for melee, and end game summoner accesories are not far off.. There's only maybe 3-5 more accessories I would consider to be basically staples for the end game further in the progression.

InternetOfTwinks fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 15, 2016

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
One other fun thing about the frost armor - while wearing it, it replaces the "URG" sound when you take damage with an ice shattering noise.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

If you have a (funny) testimonial, post it and I'll add yours as well!
I'll only say that you're an rear end in a top hat for making me play this again. :rant:

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I never used teleporters because wiring them takes forever and it's pretty boring too.

They made a new tool that places wire instantly,.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My testimonial is that it got me playing again, forcing me to relive the frustration of trying to find the goddamn Goblin Tinkerer so I can free up my inventory from the piles of accessories I'm toting around.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I took the tinker stuff out of an old 2013 world, gently caress waiting on finding that guy for the nth time.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Could you show off the star cannon? It used to be absolutely absurd but expensive, nowadays it's sorta eeh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

benzine posted:

They made a new tool that places wire instantly,.

I never made a Grand Design so that may just've been me not making the game easier because I thought something was unnecessary. :downs:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I took the tinker stuff out of an old 2013 world, gently caress waiting on finding that guy for the nth time.

It's funny, but I've never had a problem finding the Tinker. I always trip over the guy in the dungeon while clearing it out. :shrug:

RareAcumen posted:

I never made a Grand Design so that may just've been me not making the game easier because I thought something was unnecessary. :downs:

I'd never made the grand design till my last play through, and it's worth it. Really really worth it.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
People have brought up the ability to use the Grand Design as a light source to probe through walls, but it really needs to be stated again how amazing that is. Casually probing while exploring helps find those enchanted sword tunnels, buried sand pyramids, chests your radar detects but you don't see, etc, etc. Traps are much more survivable too when you can see wiring at all times.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#35 - Tarzan Boy

Hello everyone and welcome back to Rivershire. I don't think the winged look works for Classic Sam, so we won't be keeping this appearance for long.

We're gonna make some last preparations, and then we're off to fight the master of the Jungle. Pictured here, we're making Holy Arrows. These things are amazing. 200 regular arrows, 3 piles of pixie dust, and a unicorn horn allows us to make arrows that call down a hail of stars around the impact zone.

Daedalus Stormbow brings the rain...

And the stars follow. It doesn't look very impressive in still shots, and it's impossible to get a good gif of it. But trust me when I say that these things shred boss health pools like nobody's business.

I mentioned last time that the Chlorophyte Shotbow is ridiculously good. Let's explore why.

Each shot that you fire creates 1 or 2 additional arrows to fire with it. These free arrows, like the Daedalus Stormbow arrows before them, proc any effects your arrows have. So with the boss shredding Holy Arrows... well, you'll see shortly. We'll be keeping this bow for a while.

Something I briefly touched on was that the arms dealer now sells empty bullet casings. We can use these to craft more specialized bullets than the regular musket balls.

The demolitionist, since the start of hard mode, sells explosive powder. We can combine 50 casings with a lump of explosive powder to create this monstrosity.

Now our bullets explode. Take care, though, as these explosive bullets can and will hurt you if you shoot something point blank with them.

Though with only the cost of a few casings and some explosive powder, our Megashark is now even deadlier than it was before. Because the last thing we needed was a machine gun that shoots explosive frostburn rounds.

This is something we could have made a lot earlier, but I didn't think to do it before now. A dark shard, a light shard, and 7 souls of light and night will allow us to make this devastating flail weapon.

The little ball on the mace has a yin yang on it. So that's pretty cool.

It's another of those weapons that does a number on the Destroyer.

I also hope you like Sam's armor. I thought the Hallowed armor would look nice as the vanity set for a while.

While preparing for the boss fight, another pirate invasion showed up. This is one of the only shots worth showing from it, however. It just shows that I upgraded Sam's wings from faerie wings to frozen wings.

In addition to being all around better wings, they also look better with plate armor.

I also made the discovery that if you combine Shadowflame knives, the frost armor, and our fire glove, then whatever you hit has a bad day.

One of the pirates was also kind enough to drop his legendary weapon for us.

It swings super fast and is decently sized, and I really wish we had gotten one earlier. Right now it's too little too late.

Anyway, the invasion passes and I get an idea. A terrible, wonderful, gloriously dumb idea.

Sailor man beware.
When there's money in the ground
There's murder in the air.

I'm so stupidly, ridiculously proud of this dumb little joke.

Anyway, it took a while but we eventually found enough life fruits to hit 500 HP. So now Sam is completely maxed out on health and mana. We've also meticulously cleared out an arena in the bottom of the jungle, just above Hell. This is where we're gonna face the boss.

We're also as prepared as we can get. In addition to the usual round of potions (regeneration, ironskin, archery, shine, night owl) we've also taken along a flask for the first time. See the little weird yellow bottle under the two stacks of explosive bullets? That's an Ichor flask.

Ichor is effortless to get. From our adventures in getting the last drops for the ankh shield, we have enough ichor to last us the rest of eternity. So if we take two pieces of it, and a bottle of water, and combine them at an imbuing station (sold by the witch doctor for a nominal fee), then we get a Flask of Ichor out.

The flask lasts for 20 minutes and causes our melee attacks to also apply the ichor debuff, which if you recall, lowers an enemy's defense by 20 points.

Terraria Soundtrack vol. 2 - Plantera

Give this a listen. It's super buttrock-y and it owns.

Plantera Boss Fight

Plantera is a gigantic flower, and it has a lot of health to chew through. Unlike other bosses that float through the world, Plantera uses its hooks to crawl around the terrain.

Brushing one of the hooks deals us 40 damage, so be careful of those. Plantera is a boss you want to slowly kite around your arena. It doesn't move too fast at the start, so don't be in a rush.

For the majority of the fight, I kite it around the platform in the upper right while whaling on it with whatever I have handy.

Also take care. Plantera can still float across terrain. So when you're kiting it around, don't take shortcuts. This part of the fight is about being slow and deliberate.

Besides lazily chasing you around the world, Plantera will occasionally shoot giant spiked balls at you. They're an environmental hazard, so just dodge out of the way.

It will also shoot seeds at you, similar to hornets shooting their stingers.

Once I unleash the holy arrows, the fight starts going quickly.

When Plantera is down to half of its max HP, it decides it's had enough of our poo poo and sheds the bulb exterior to reveal the terrifying maw underneath.

In the second half of the fight, it moves a lot faster and is now actively trying to eat us. It also spawned a bunch of little minions on tentacles with the second half, and these guys act like the Hungry from the Wall fight. They deal 60 damage, so try and avoid them if you can. Though with only 1000 HP, it's probably faster and easier to just blast them out of the way.

I don't think it has a chance to start, but in the second half of the fight, Plantera will also start shooting little spores into the air that deal 70 contact damage but have almost no health.

That was a short but incredibly violent fight. How short? The video I linked above is 94 seconds, and almost a third of that is showing off stuff pre-battle. The actual fight lasted about... 63 seconds.

I also want to take this moment to mention that you under no circumstances should let Plantera leave the jungle. It will go berserk if that happens, and deal double damage, have double the defense (or quadruple defense in the second half), move super fast, and start charging directly at the player.

Plantera's body deals 70 damage by default. So you do not want it to enrage. Stay in the jungle!

The key on the bottom of the screen is a temple key, which will finally let us into that jungle temple we've been seeing. The pygmy staff is the next tier up of minion summoning weapons.

I really wish the Grenade Launcher were better than it is. It's just... well, a grenade launcher. The wiki claims it deals 60 base ranged damage, which isn't too bad. I don't know, though. I'm a big fan of grenade launchers in games. Ask me sometime how often I'm carrying the Tonkor, for example. I'm just not a big fan of this one, though.

Anyway, Plantera has a truckload of drops. It alone drops an entire upgrade tier's worth of weapons. So, let's run down the list...

Seedling - 5% - (Summons a pet sapling)
The Axe - 2% - (72 melee damage. It's an auto swinging guitar that can break Altars and cut down trees.)
Pygmy Staff - 25% - (34 summon damage. Covered above, but you also need to have this in your inventory for the Witch Doctor NPC to start selling the next tier of summoner equipment.)
Grenade Launcher - 14.29% - (Meh.)
Rocket I - 100% With Grenade Launcher - (20-49 ranged damage. Ammo! The NPC we unlocked from beating Plantera will sell these.)
Venus Magnum - 14.29% - (38 ranged damage. Pretty high damage for a pistol. Has a super high fire rate, so you can potentially manually fire at automatic rifle speeds.)
Nettle Burst - 14.29% - (28 magic damage. Vilethorn Mk. 3)
Leaf Blower - 14.29% - (48 magic damage. Now you, too, can use Razor Leaf.)
Flower Pow - 14.29% - (65 melee damage. The next step up from the Dao of Pow.)
Wasp Gun - 14.29% - (21 magic damage. Remember the bee gun we had in normal mode? This its bigger, nastier brother.)
Seedler - 14.29% - (50 melee damage. Shoots an exploding nut projectile, that then explode like a shotgun blast.)
Thorn Hook - 10% - (I didn't show it off, but you can make a hook in normal mode from jungle materials. It can shoot 3 vines simultaneously. This is its bigger brother. It reaches a little farther and moves a little faster.)
Plantera Mask - 14.29% - (Every boss has one. Each one is awful.)
Plantera Trophy - 10% - (Every boss has one.)

That's not good... :ohdear:

NEXT TIME:

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
So The Axe is, from what you've said, both a hammer (judging from its mentioned ability to break Altars) and an actual logging axe. Question is, how good is it at those jobs, relative to other modern hammers and axes?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

So The Axe is, from what you've said, both a hammer (judging from its mentioned ability to break Altars) and an actual logging axe. Question is, how good is it at those jobs, relative to other modern hammers and axes?

The wiki says it has 100% hammer power, which is all you need to break Altars. It also has 175% axe power, giving it the highest axe power in the game. To compare, the Chlorophyte Chainsaw has 115% axe power.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
So it's worth farming one up, huh? It certainly sounds like an endgame staple to me.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

CptWedgie posted:

So it's worth farming one up, huh? It certainly sounds like an endgame staple to me.

There are theoretical endgame tool loadouts that include The Axe, but unless you're doing really insanely ridiculous projects that require strip-mining several worlds of trees (and why wouldn't you just cheat it at that point?), The Axe is more a nice bonus than an item you're likely to care about farming up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mauman posted:

I'd never made the grand design till my last play through, and it's worth it. Really really worth it.

See, my problem was that I went to an old world where I already had all the NPCs so I wouldn't be building any more stuff so it seemed unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
It'd be a nice touch if the axe played a theme when you autoswung instead of it sounding like you're torturing a cat. Statwise I'm fairly certain its on par or better then all of the other hammers/axes.

• Locked thread