Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
To be fair, there are a few dyes that look pretty good. Lord knows how popular the Hades dyes are. And I'm actually pretty fond of the Glowing Mushroom Dye since it doesn't sear a person's eyes like some do.

It does say something that some of the best dyes aren't from handing over strange plants but by making them yourself though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Useless Terraria Trivia: At one point early in development falling sand was the most damaging thing in the game. There is even a title bar blurb referencing it saying "Sand is Overpowered."

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I actually have glowing mushroom dye for my armor. It's the strange plant dye I find most tolerable. It is, however, also only a holdover until I can get enough of a certain gradient dye whipped up.

And you say cave bats spawn too often, but they also don't spawn nearly enough when you're trying to farm for their rare drop. I finally got it from the other thing that drops it while doing something entirely different. (Camping a certain NPC I have dubbed Skelebro, waiting for him to finally sell me a certain piece of equipment.)

Also sand is overpowered as all get out. I'm sure this will be expounded on later.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Is it just me or are the images broken in the last update? Then again, maybe it's just my computer's decided it doesn't like lpix.org.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

DoubleNegative posted:

So yeah, the Strange Plant dyes are for the most part butt ugly.
Except for the couple that are fabulous.

DoubleNegative posted:

As far as gravestones go, you can indeed mine them and pick them up. They don't really have a purpose, but if you wanted to create a mausoleum or graveyard, I guess you could do that.
You can use them as signs if you happen to roll one you think looks particularly nice. If you're carrying more than 10 gold when you die, you'll get one of the golden types.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is it just me or are the images broken in the last update? Then again, maybe it's just my computer's decided it doesn't like lpix.org.

It's you.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Pierzak posted:

It's you.

Yeah, I went and created an lpix profile and now it's all fixed.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Yapping Eevee posted:

You can use them as signs if you happen to roll one you think looks particularly nice.

I'm putting a graveyard in the town I'm making to acknowledge the sacrifices of all those who follow me. Like a certain trader who's pimpin' hat I now wear :downs:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
I happen to like reflective gold dye. But then I also acknowledge it's gaudy as all gently caress.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Of the strange plant dyes, I usually found myself using the reflective dyes the most. A lot of the others are indeed kind of ugly.

Most of the better-looking dyes drop after you get to Hardmode.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I managed to get two sets of reflective Metal dyes. They are actually pretty good looking if you stick wood armor onto the vanity slots.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Personally, as you go further into the game, those vanity slots will likely either A. be used to carry more poo poo to your base of operations or B. a second set of armor/accessories that you will swap between before boss fights. Also, for those intending to go further into the game Make sure your entire base is cordoned off from both sides, make it into a floating piece of land, take it to the skies or just dig two hellevators down on both sides to your preferred base, lets just say it's future proofing if you intend to go to mid-late to post-game.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

Kemix posted:

Personally, as you go further into the game, those vanity slots will likely either A. be used to carry more poo poo to your base of operations or B. a second set of armor/accessories that you will swap between before boss fights. Also, for those intending to go further into the game Make sure your entire base is cordoned off from both sides, make it into a floating piece of land, take it to the skies or just dig two hellevators down on both sides to your preferred base, lets just say it's future proofing if you intend to go to mid-late to post-game.
Yeah, the vanity slots are pretty useful for that, but early game I actually use them for their intended purpose of making things look better to my eyes... (I hate the cactus armor design...) But later on, being able to hotswap between magic, ranged, and melee builds (Well, two of the three at any rate) can be really useful.
Beyond just two hellevators, make sure you also dig a connecting tunnel between said hellevators that runs under your base. Because sometimes the two meet in the center and then spread upwards. loving PITA that.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Or just, not worry about it? NPCs block all spawns except during special events, and the mobs that spawn because of special events matter way more than what you're worrying about.

TheBlandName fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 11, 2016

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's all about the property values, man.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

TheBlandName posted:

Or just, not worry about it? NPCs block all spawns except during special events, and the mobs that spawn because of special events matter way more than what you're worrying about.

I have to "well actually" this one.

Houses stop being houses if there's too much corruption/crimson nearby. I made my home base a little off-center once, and a certain event instantly turned all my NPCs homeless, after which they were all slaughtered

Edit: Sorry. I just wanted to correct some misinformation in someone else's spoiler. I'll shut up now. Also, I removed some secondary spoilers that weren't necessary to my explanation.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 11, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Can we dial down the spoilers just a bit? We'll get there eventually!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#7 - Walk Like an Egyptian

Hello everyone, welcome back to Rivershire. Today y'all are really gonna hate me. Why? Just wait and see!

We rejoin Sam on top of the cliff that leads underground. Today we're going farther to the left, off into unknown territory.

I somehow managed to completely miss the blatantly obvious Strange Plant.

At the top of the hill just beyond the Strange Plant, we see something very interesting. Looks like I was right about the desert being near the cave. Anyway, this game has several different biomes, like the forest we've already seen. Most biomes are super major spoilers still. We'll cover them as we come across them.

The Crimson that I mentioned a few updates back is another biome, but it's an extremely dangerous one.

Terraria OST - Desert

For some reason, this theme isn't on any of the three Bandcamp pages. It's got a pretty desert-y feel to it, so give it a listen!

Here we can see some cacti, some growing coconuts, and a Waterleaf. Also the screenshot looks kinda wavy because the game simulates a heat effect while you're in hot biomes.

The cacti are mercifully changed from the super early versions of the game. See, before the first major patch, you had to painstakingly dodge cacti. If you ran into them, you took damage, which made getting around kind of annoying. Cacti are another building material that we can make furniture out of.

The growing coconuts are palm trees that I planted. Each surface biome has a different type of tree that grows in it. So you can harvest regular oak trees in the forest biome, and then plant the acorns in the desert to convert them to palm tree seeds. Each different type of tree naturally has a different type of wood associated with it, and each type of wood builds different-looking structures. The wooden armor and weapons even have different stats!

I like the palm wood look because it has a very beach-y feel.

Finally Waterleaf is the growable herb for the desert. Unlike Daybloom, we don't automatically get its seeds. No, it needs to be raining in the world for Waterleaf to drop its seeds when harvested. The good news is that we only need one seed to grow an infinite number of these plants. So I'll be back at some point when it's raining to get the seeds.

This is the Vulture, and it's the first desert enemy we've met. There are a couple others that spawn on the surface, and this one is probably the least dangerous of them all. A good ranged weapon, even our blowgun, will absolutely decimate its health.

This gigantic image shows the primary feature of the desert. The biggest desert in the game world will always have a massive antlion pit somewhere in the middle. The two antlions in this shot are just incidental, by the way. They don't necessarily spawn in and around the pit.

Because the underground desert is so dangerous, it's best to just wall off the antlion pit until you're ready to tackle it. Also I'm going to be honest here, the underground desert was very recently revamped - just over a month ago at the time of writing (Oct. 11, 2016) - and I'm not as familiar with the changes as I am with the rest of the game. Though just from a cursory look at the changes, they won't be affecting us for a long time.

The desert even has its own species of slime, which has 60 HP.

Anyway, are you guys ready for this?

Yeah. A lot of people reading this just got mad at me. This is the top of a pyramid, an incredibly rare structure in Terraria. Not every world is guaranteed to be generated with one. It's actually significantly more rare than the gigantic trees with hollow trunks that we've seen, and the treasures inside are a lot more useful than a couple wands that place decorative blocks.

This pyramid is unfortunately buried, so we're going to have to excavate the entrance.

At the time I thought the right side would be the one open. I don't know why I thought that, to be honest.

Mistakes may have been made in looking for the way in.

Waiting for us outside of the pit is a committee of vultures. I also hear the distant sound of a train again, and get complacent. After all what could a tiny "giant" worm do to us?

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

So you remember when I said that the underground desert was dangerous? This guy is a large part of why. He hits like a freight train and can pop out of the ground right under us.

Consequently, Sam got turned into dog food.

On the way back, the sun set and now the zombies have come out to play. If you're trying to dig a hole at night, your best bet is to do what I did here and wall yourself off.

This is much better.

The tragic part of all of this is that if I had just kept tunneling through the wall, I could have broken into the pyramid the hard way.

The pyramid's treasure room has a couple of decorative banners, some breakable urns, and our prize for all this effort.

This wasn't what I was expecting to see, but I'm not going to complain. The Magic Carpet is going to allow us to trivialize falling damage for as long as we have it equipped.

There's also this. The Shine potion is what the Night Owl Potion wishes it could be. This potion actually causes your character to become a mobile light source for 5 minutes. They are also hilariously cheap to make once we do a bit more spelunking and find a particular item.

Anyway, the pyramid continues down for a ways in a zig-zag pattern before finally emptying out in the underground desert. We don't want any part of that, so it's time to leave.

So the magic carpet. This thing lets us hover for "a few seconds." While hovering we can freely move left and right, just not up and down. The wiki doesn't have any information for how long it lets you float, but after extensive testing I've found that it's around 10 seconds of uninterrupted floating. A clever player can feather the jump button while falling from an impossibly high distance to reset their momentum and not take fall damage.

Basically we just hit the Terrarian jackpot.

We're also now up to 100 mana, which means we've found at least 15 fallen stars! :toot: In the old days, you needed 10 fallen stars per mana crystal, so we've come quite a long way since then.

To celebrate our good luck, let's make something we should have created a very long time ago. The furnace is one of the Big Three crafting stations, along with the workbench and the anvil. These three together will let us create the vast majority of items.

But first, a demonstration of the furnace is in order.

We have 14 tungsten ore, and each bar requires 4 pieces of ore, so we can make 3 bars with 2 pieces of ore left over. Mercifully, unlike many other games of the same type, we don't have to find any coal or use wood to power the furnace. It is always active.

Each iron and copper bar takes three pieces of ore per. We currently have 128 pieces of copper ore, and 117 pieces of iron ore. That means we can make 39 iron bars evenly, and 42 copper bars with 2 pieces of ore remaining. Neither is enough for a full suit of armor, but we can make some tools to tide us over. Our starting equipment has started to show its age.

For the moment, we move the workbench up next to the forge. Now we can make our anvil.

5 bars for one of the most useful crafting stations? That's one hell of a deal.

With the furnace, the workbench, and the anvil all placed together like that, we can use all three at the same time without having to move around.

Even though our blowpipe deals the same damage, I still make a tungsten blow to replace it. It gives us a chance to use something different for a change, and also to put to use all many the arrows we've been finding.

A new pickaxe is probably one of the most important investments we can make with our tungsten bars. It has 15% more pickaxe power, which means it can mine things much faster than the copper one we started with. It also swings faster, and is capable of mining Meteorite, for whenever we find that.

Our new bow, by the way. A 9% crit chance is nothing to sneeze at, and neither is another point of base damage.

We also get a new axe and hammer. Iron is just a single step up from copper, but these are also tools we don't use nearly as often as the pickaxe, so a single upgrade is fine.

Cactus, by the way, can also be used to create a pretty good early game armor. Our total defense has also increased to 5 points!

Chains can be used like ropes, but several very important things we need to craft also require them. So no reason not to be prepared ahead of time. 1 iron bar will get you 10 chains, and that should be more than we'll ever need.

In fact, here's one of those items now. The sawmill, like its description implies, is used to craft things more "advanced" wooden furniture items than what the basic workbench can handle.

Be sure to put a chair next to your workbench, and then slap a glass bottle on top. A couple items can only be crafted at the chair workbench, and the glass bottle on top lets us brew potions.

This is also a wonderful time to buy a piggy bank. We can't lose money on death if it's safely stored away.

We were quickly getting to the point where losing money on death was becoming prohibitively expensive. Sure we can get it back now, but later we might not be so lucky.

Now let's introduce the social armor slots. Goggles aren't very good at defense, but we don't have to wear them for their protective qualities. We can instead wear them because they look awesome. 2 lenses (from Demon Eyes, remember?) at a chair+workbench combo lets us craft them.

Back over to the equipment UI element. The far right column is naturally where we equip the stuff we want to actually use. The middle column is for "social" items. Anything we equip in the middle column lets us use the appearance of that item without getting stats from it.

The dropper/vial icon in the far left column, by the way, is where we put any dyes we want to use.

Finally we have the sawmill we built earlier. Like I mentioned before, most of what we can craft with this is furniture. So we can make benches and dressers, for instance.

But we can also make things like mannequins and weapon racks to show off the weapons and armor we've collected.

That's enough for now, though. We're considerably better equipped than we were earlier, though we're not quite ready just yet to take on the first major challenge of the game.

NEXT TIME: Spelunking 2 - The Search for More Tungsten

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 8, 2016

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
So... who here has made a mannequin museum? That certainly sounds like the kind of thing people would do in this kind of game.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Eh, I dunno about the rest of us but I'm not too mad about you finding a pyramid. If you'd gotten a certain something else instead of the carpet, then I would have been pissed.

EDIT:

CptWedgie posted:

So... who here has made a mannequin museum? That certainly sounds like the kind of thing people would do in this kind of game.

Hi! I went pretty bare-bones with it myself, I mostly used it for extra vanity items or old sets of armor that I liked the design of. Mind you, a friend of mine I played on a multiplayer map with went the whole nine yards by making a tower with mannequins of each armor and the weapons crafted from the same materials. It looked pretty nice.

Cador_2004 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 11, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

Um...

A gigantic skyscraping tower with every weapon and armor set in the initial 1.3 patch release.

Also each armor set has both male and female mannequins showing the armor off.

A smaller tower with every armor and cosmetic armor in the 1.2 patch release

It's kind of a thing that I do. :v:

Also super duper ultra mega DEFCON 1 level spoilers in both links.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I had a huge wizard tower that extended down and up as far as it could in my old save before losing it; one feature was a huge hall of outfits, yeah.

Also, finding the pyramid was decent luck (sometimes they're buried), and having a prize in it was nice too (as the treasure rooms weren't always guaranteed due to the pyramid getting cut off by biome features; that may have been improved over time). That magic carpet is a very nice early find, there aren't many things to replicate that effect until much, much, MUCH later.

Pyramids were a huge pain in the rear end when they rolled out, since, I think, only like 1/5 worlds had one and then about a third of those had no treasure room.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I feel like building a giant monument to one's own hubris is always the real end-game in terraria :v: I can admit to strip mining worlds to make gold bricks

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I started up a new file because of this, and I hadn't played since like 1.1 so a lot of this is brand new. It's awesome.

Is there anything else to the Pyramid other than that single treasure room? I actually found one in my main world and looted a carpet as well, though I honestly didn't find it very useful.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

StrangeAeon posted:

I started up a new file because of this, and I hadn't played since like 1.1 so a lot of this is brand new. It's awesome.

Is there anything else to the Pyramid other than that single treasure room? I actually found one in my main world and looted a carpet as well, though I honestly didn't find it very useful.

There is another item that you can get there that might not seem important at first (since a lot of items mimic it), but is part of possibly the most powerful item one can get legally for a VERY long time. It's a real pain in the rear end to make though, but dear god is it nice to have.

And yes, it's one treasure room at a time, so if your pyramid has the carpet (or if the RNG hates you like it does me, the useless vanity item), then you have to create a new world till you get both a pyramid and the right item. Hypothetically it's possible to have more than one pyramid per world, but I've NEVER seen it happen.

The carpet is nice, but I can live without it. Now if DN had gotten the other item.....yeah I would have burst a blood vessel :downs:

I had to create 15 worlds to finally get said item. :cripes:

mauman fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 11, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

mauman posted:

There is another item that you can get there that might not seem important at first (since a lot of items mimic it), but is part of possibly the most powerful item one can get legally for a VERY long time. It's a real pain in the rear end to make though, but dear god is it nice to have.

And yes, it's one treasure room at a time, so if your pyramid has the carpet (or if the RNG hates you like it does me, the useless vanity item), then you have to create a new world till you get both a pyramid and the right item. Hypothetically it's possible to have more than one pyramid per world, but I've NEVER seen it happen.

The carpet is nice, but I can live without it. Now if DN had gotten the other item.....yeah I would have burst a blood vessel :downs:

I had to create 15 worlds to finally get said item. :cripes:

I've tried about 20 times to get that item before giving up. I still haven't actually SEEN it, and frankly I'm not 100% sure it's not just a giant prank.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Your outfit makes me think you're some kind of post apocalyptic desert wanderer. It's an aesthetic I can get behind.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Out of interest, what item are people talking about? I got the carpet and I was more than happy with it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Out of interest, what item are people talking about? I got the carpet and I was more than happy with it.

The carpet is a good item to have. But the Sandstorm in a Bottle is a better version of another item and can be used to make a really good mobility accessory.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Dr. Fetus posted:

The carpet is a good item to have. But the Sandstorm in a Bottle is a better version of another item and can be used to make a really good mobility accessory.

I hate, hate, HATE you DoubleNegative! The one pyramid I've explored only had the loving pharoh vanity set! :argh: But seriously, the other item is probably a good one to have, specially for Early-game.

Kemix fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 11, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

Exactly. There's like 4 other versions of that item, but since you need it, two other specific versions of said item, and a few other not so easy items to make said super item, it might not seem that important.

Said super item is REALLY good though.

Kemix posted:

I hate, hate, HATE you DoubleNegative! The one pyramid I've explored only had the loving pharoh vanity set! :argh:

My sympathies friend.

First two pyramids I found for my recent character contained that crap set.

mauman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 11, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I've never bothered with that super item folks are talking about, since I prefer a different thing that can be made from the base item.

Also, I have had a few worlds with 2 pyramids, but every time only one of them had a treasure chamber.

Lache
Dec 17, 2006
Why yes, your suffering does feed me
My world has neither giant trees nor pyramids :sigh: I'm thinking I may roll another soon to see what that comes up with.

Regarding the spawn rates of uniques like the pyramid, does the red pyramid-like building that I have spawned in my Jungle with the ridiculously annoying trapped entrance count as one of those as well?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lache posted:

My world has neither giant trees nor pyramids :sigh: I'm thinking I may roll another soon to see what that comes up with.

Regarding the spawn rates of uniques like the pyramid, does the red pyramid-like building that I have spawned in my Jungle with the ridiculously annoying trapped entrance count as one of those as well?

That one is guaranteed due to reasons.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

You are aware you can craft that, right?

Because I have most of the materials already, I just would need to grind up the waterleaf for it.

EDIT: Wait, hang on.

EDIT 2: Yeah, nevermind, I'm using a Quality of Life mod that adds that recipe.

You should totally use it, it's good.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 12, 2016

InwardChaos
Oct 21, 2010

Before the beginning of great brilliance, there must be chaos.
One thing DoubleNegative didn't mention about the piggy bank is that unlike having money in a treasure chest, money in the piggy bank can be used at shops without being in your inventory. It will show up as your "Savings" when viewing a shop window.
Really, once you have a piggy bank, there is no reason not to deposit your money in it whenever you leave to explore. The only money you should be loosing on death is stuff you've picked up in your travels.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I decided to be retarded and started an Expert Mode Large World...needless to say within two nights of in-game time I'm getting my poo poo pushed in left and right. Can't even go out into the desert to farm up cactus for armor and other stuff.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013
This LP reminded me to finally buy Terraria and try it out, and I feel like I'm doing okay with my first few attempts so far. Except it looks like my large world has Crimson on both sides of my spawn point, so I'm just a little bit trapped if I don't want to get my poo poo kicked in.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

GirlCalledBob posted:

This LP reminded me to finally buy Terraria and try it out, and I feel like I'm doing okay with my first few attempts so far. Except it looks like my large world has Crimson on both sides of my spawn point, so I'm just a little bit trapped if I don't want to get my poo poo kicked in.

I'm a relative newbie to this and have this same problem, only mine is Corruption. In that instance, should I just...dig deep and dig greedily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
Either that and get lucky, or just try to sprint through the danger zone(s) and hope you survive/get really good at dodging.

• Locked thread