Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Cthulhumatic posted:

I'm a relative newbie to this and have this same problem, only mine is Corruption. In that instance, should I just...dig deep and dig greedily?

Probably your best bet. Eventually you're gonna have to take it on, but you really should have more than wood on your side for that. Once you start doing the Corruption thing, though, make sure you have plenty of rope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GirlCalledBob posted:

This LP reminded me to finally buy Terraria and try it out, and I feel like I'm doing okay with my first few attempts so far. Except it looks like my large world has Crimson on both sides of my spawn point, so I'm just a little bit trapped if I don't want to get my poo poo kicked in.

Cthulhumatic posted:

I'm a relative newbie to this and have this same problem, only mine is Corruption. In that instance, should I just...dig deep and dig greedily?

Either grin and bear it or just make a new world till that doesn't happen and you can actually explore.

The choice is yours.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Don't put up with mapgen loving you. That's how you wind up doing this bullshit using only Corruption-tier or lower equipment.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

GirlCalledBob posted:

This LP reminded me to finally buy Terraria and try it out, and I feel like I'm doing okay with my first few attempts so far. Except it looks like my large world has Crimson on both sides of my spawn point, so I'm just a little bit trapped if I don't want to get my poo poo kicked in.

Cthulhumatic posted:

My advice is the same in both instances, namely try and find a cave you can get into. Most caverns, as we're going to find out tomorrow, connect with each other. The Terrarian underground has more caves and chambers than you might think. If that fails, just dig down near your base and look for a cave to start exploring.

Though if the Crimson/Corruption are too close to spawn, then it probably is better to save that world for later exploring and create a new one that isn't quite so nasty.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Yes, keeping your inventory between worlds is a feature you are expected to take full advantage of. If your world is hosed, pack up and move to another one.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

My advice is the same in both instances, namely try and find a cave you can get into. Most caverns, as we're going to find out tomorrow, connect with each other. The Terrarian underground has more caves and chambers than you might think. If that fails, just dig down near your base and look for a cave to start exploring.

Though if the Crimson/Corruption are too close to spawn, then it probably is better to save that world for later exploring and create a new one that isn't quite so nasty.

I've got a pretty extensive cave system I'm digging into right now, so I guess hope I get something good down there. Thanks for the advice, I've got a nicely settled base coming along so I didn't really wanna move to a different world unless I really have to.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I like to make a Beeline to the tundra zone and jump into the nearest cave myself.

The weapons you can find down there are VERY good for early game shenanigans.

But yes, worldgen can really be a pain in this game.

Fish Noise posted:

Don't put up with mapgen loving you. That's how you wind up doing this bullshit using only Corruption-tier or lower equipment.

Now THAT'S some bad luck. Yuck.

mauman fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 13, 2016

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Fish Noise posted:

...That's HOW MANY blocks down?! Assuming each "floor" is about 4 blocks high, I count 240 blocks below ground level, and that's probably a CONSERVATIVE estimate! Plus there's the sheer WIDTH of the basement (which I'm estimating at around... 200-300 blocks?) PLUS the base above all that. How did that guy not just give up on that mess?!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CptWedgie posted:

How did that guy not just give up on that mess?!
It was my first singleplayer world, and I thought "grin and bear it" was a good idea when it started, which soon turned into sunk cost.

CptWedgie posted:

...That's HOW MANY blocks down?! Assuming each "floor" is about 4 blocks high, I count 240 blocks below ground level, and that's probably a CONSERVATIVE estimate! Plus there's the sheer WIDTH of the basement (which I'm estimating at around... 200-300 blocks?) PLUS the base above all that.
The ground floor of the base is only 5 high, all other floors are 6 high, which is jump height. The furthest down construction on that basement complex is 60 floors, so 360 blocks deep. I'm not sure how high the base goes but there's a tree farm further up, and a sky arena above that. That's not so impressive, placing blocks is easier than digging blocks.
The central shaft is 3 wide, the space between other torches is 10. The furthest left tunneling is 19 torches from center (11x19 for 209 spaces), and the furthest right tunneling is 13 torches from center (143 spaces), making the drat thing 355 blocks wide.
Also, that big plateau to the left? That was a mountain range. To be fair, that only happened at Corruption-level gear and beyond.

mauman posted:

Now THAT'S some bad luck. Yuck.
This base, like the majority of mine, was started right on my start location. Note how there are no decent cave networks in the general area under it for a loooong time.
Going right, the Corruption music would start at around where the lake becomes shallow again. Those fuckers would follow me straight back to base.
Going left, the first two surface caves go nowhere, and didn't even have chests in them. The third, however, is pretty decent! Except it's right next to Corruption. IIRC, the Corruption music would start when I hit about the bottom of that wide V tunnel that forms the top of the cave. "Just run in really fast and then run away from them while placing torches" some people are preparing to type in right now. Well hold onto your asses because I'm not done yet!
This was way back before there was even the normalmode christmas invasion, and I doubt the spawning rules are much different now, but at the time it basically went:
- Spawns are generally associated with music. Corruption music? Corruption monsters.
- The spawn area covers the onscreen area and extends off the visible screen for a bit, not sure about exact amount but it seems to be decent sized.
- Spawns appear where they can't be seen, that means offscreen or in the dark.
- Light sources with their illumination area offscreen are unloaded. Your tunnel network is fully lit and safe? Not when it's offscreen!
That means that as soon as I hit the bottom of the wide V tunnel, Corruption motherfuckers are starting to spawn in a lot of the tunnel network below that I'm trying to go into. Charging in means I'm not running away from the fuckers, I'm running INTO them, and because of offscreen torch unloading, the usefulness of kamikaze torch rushes is severely limited.

So, with death immediately to the right, and jack poo poo to the left until a single decent surface cave that filled up with more death whenever I tried to go in, I wound up rathole-ing straight down from my start position.

In conclusion: Don't let the game bullshit you. Go world raiding. Especially now that there are so many more and so many better surface or near surface items.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Expert World Report: Wearing a Tin Helmet, Tin Greaves and a 4 Def chest armor that grants 10% Melee and Movement Speed plus a 5% Damage and Crit boost. Accessories consist of a Warding (+4 Def Prefix) Flurry Boots (Running becomes extra fast), Fleeting (+2% Movement Speed) Climbing Claws (Jump on walls, cling to walls, slowly fall down walls) and a Menacing (+4% Damage) White String (+Yoyo Length, about 4-5 blocks)

Found a Snow Biome and am profiting heavily off it in the form of Iceburn Arrows which make my tin bow hurt a LOT worse than anything I have right now. Right now it's feast or famine in my world, I haven't hit any bosses yet, mostly because I'll just fuckin die if I summon any.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
We do have a Terraria thread in Games.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Huh. Never noticed that.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

haven't played in a few months but i'm back at it again now thanks to this.

not off to a bad start i'd say. corruption is immediately to my left, but i have plenty of space to the right. desert over there, pretty green place a ways past that. all this, lead pick included, without ever setting foot underground. i didn't get a pyramid though unfortunately. was hoping for one since the last time i played was before they were put in. oh well.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

So, this LP has put me in the mood to play again. Reinstalled it and setup a world before heading to work. I hope I have half as much luck as you've been having OP.

Minus the amount of black bars, newbie chat in an LP thread is usually cool and good and healthy for a thread.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

#8 - On Top of the World

Hello everyone. Welcome back to Rivershire.

I think before we get started with our expedition into the earth, we need to expand the base some. We now qualify for at least one more NPC, and once we make a little bit of progress in the game, we'll need a whole bunch of rooms.

First things first. The loom is another useful crafting station, and it will allow us to finally start processing all of those cobwebs we've been finding all over the caves.

7 cobwebs creates 1 silk. We have 225 cobwebs, so we can make 32 pieces of silk with a single leftover piece. For the most part, it's used to create furniture items. We can make sofas and beds, for instance. But you can also use silk with some materials we don't have quite yet to make cosmetic armor sets.

Basically you have no reason to not collect every cobweb you can find. We'll always have a use for it, even if it's just Fashion Souls.

In fact, we can already create one cosmetic item, and several banners. The banners have no use besides looking nice and colorful. We won't be making these, but the option is there.

This here is what our silk is claimed for. Like so many other things, I should have made one of these a very long time ago. "But DoubleNegative," you may ask, "what good is a bed?"

To you, my hypothetical friend, I answer this: beds let us move our spawn point. So once I put this down and use it, we won't respawn out in the middle of the forest.

So let's start expanding our home. After the discussion upthread, I've spiced up my building style with several new room types. Be sure to say which you like!

While out looking for more wood to build rooms with, I decided to spice up the little bridge I built a few updates back. It looks a lot nicer now.

I have at least 5 more hours of recordings after this one and these trees that I planted? They have yet to grow back.

I figure it the base is going to be a lovely giant tree, then I may as well own it. So the center of the base is now the tree's trunk.

It's difficult to get an idea of what the base looks like from these small screenshots, so I'm going to post a large picture of the finished product.

The first room is done! :toot: A simple pentagon shape is a good starting point and looks nicer than a box efficiency room.

A small stepped pyramid is my personal favorite of the four new rooms I built. Yes I know it's off-center. I've already fixed it!

The third room is a fatter stepped pyramid. I do not like it, to be honest.

The fourth room has boobs. :downs:

While setting up and putting finishing touches on the rooms, this notification pops up. Heather here will heal us and remove (most) debuffs for a nominal fee. She will show up once we have used at least 1 Life Crystal.

(Click for bigger version)

Here's the final base. Like I said, be sure to post about which of the four new rooms you like best.

Heather also has this to say. We haven't yet even found the dungeon, but it's something to look forward to. I've said several times now how dangerous the Crimson is. The Dungeon? It makes the Crimson look like child's play. Before the first major patch of the game, the Dungeon used to be one of the two places you went to if you wanted a challenge in the endgame.

And also to head it off, please don't take this as carte blanche to post all your thoughts about the dungeon or the other place. We'll find them in good time.

So, now that the base has been expanded, how about some of that spelunking I promised last time? And, to me, the best place to start is under the tree right next to our tree fort.

That Tungsten has laid un-mined for far too long. So that's as good a place to start as any.

I also can't adequately put into words how much I love the flying carpet. Being able to hover in midair makes getting stuff on the ceiling so much easier.

Only a little ways past that last shot, look what I found hiding in the darkness. That brings us up to 180 HP! That number is where I'm also going to put a hold on using any new ones. I said it before, and I'm going to repeat it now: 200 HP is when bad things can start happening.

This little trap marks another of the ones you can find underground. There's absolutely no chance this one could ever hit you, thankfully. This is a poison dart trap. Step on the button on the left side of the screenshot, and the stone head spits out a poison dart that will damage you for 40 HP, and then deal even more as poison tick damage. You won't often be killed by these, but they can be the start of a very painful chain reaction.

Here's what the world map has to say about where we are, versus where the other tunnels we've been exploring are. It's a bit of a ways, but there's no reason we can't manually dig a tunnel to connect the two.

This is as good a place to start as any other.

Digging in this game often involves long tunnels to nowhere, so don't be afraid to create them. You never know when a tunnel you're digging will connect to a larger cavern system.

After several solid minutes of digging, something pops up in the upper left corner. Let's make our way over and investigate it further.

Of course, be sure to keep your eye out for gemstones.

Success! The tunnel has finally connected to the chamber that weird red thing is in.

This is a Crimson Altar. These things are usually found in the Crimson underground itself, but they also uncommonly appear all over the rest of the world. They're typically used to create boss summoning items. So it's handy to have one relatively near your base.

Also, and this is very important, you should never ever hit them with a hammer, unless you feel like you need to be suddenly missing half of your max HP.

The Crimson Altar was about half a screen away from the other caves we explored previously.

Now we can access the large cave system from our base! :toot:

Shall we continue exploring?

Well that dead end didn't take very long to reach. There's an awful lot of water under us, though.

A little ways back in the cave, we find another passage hidden under some stone.

Ooh, devious. You see that chute in the ceiling in front of us? That's a hint that there's a boulder fall trap.

The local undead are not making things easy on us, though. Skeletons are another enemy type that only spawns underground, and they're also the embodiment of spiteful RNG. You see, skeletons and another enemy we haven't met yet both drop an item that is absolutely essential to making exploring easier. You can kill dozens and never see one.

Hello there sneaky boulder.

By mining out the "active stone blocks" underneath it, we can trigger the trap at no danger to ourselves.

:allears: I could watch this gif all day...

Hey rear end in a top hat, don't think I don't see you down there!

This is the other enemy that embodies spiteful RNG, and shares a drop with the skeleton. This is the piranha. They show up more often in another surface biome, but they do spawn underground as well... for some reason.

While exploring, we hit the motherlode of emeralds.

In fact, we have enough to get the thing I've been hunting for!

This guy here is gonna signal the end of this expedition. The Hoplite only spawns around an underground biome added in 1.3, the marble biome. This guy is not somebody you want to take on with our current gear level. Plus, y'know, we're utterly out of both torches and wood.

We'll put these Javelins to good use, but obtaining them cost us 122 health, out of the 180 we have.

Back at the treefort, we can finally build a grappling hook. The three easiest ways of obtaining one are as follows:

1) get 15 gemstones, craft at an Anvil

OR

2) get a 3% drop rate "hook" item from a skeleton, a piranha, an undead miner (the dude with the mining light we saw), a Hoplite, or an undead viking.

THEN

you combine that hook and 3 chains at an Anvil

OR

3) Buy from a mid-game NPC we won't have access to until sometime after the first boss for 2 Gold coins.

Hooks are so important, they have their own dedicated inventory slot as well as a dedicated hotkey to use them. By the way, there's also a second page of equipment. It's not used quite as often as the others.

I think the default keybinds put the hook key on E. But I've played too much Just Cause 2, so my grappling hook keybind is and will always be F.

Here's the hook in action. Because we made ours out of emeralds, it's a pleasant emerald green color. The hook is yet another item that will also let us trivialize falling damage, though you have to be careful when using it. Every Terraria player has at least one story where they were falling and went to use their hook to save themselves, only to splat on the ground because the hook moves somewhat slowly.

The hook will also let us even more easily mine anything in hard to reach places, as well as let us climb to otherwise inaccessible heights.

In fact, now that we have it, the era of using rope for spelunking is largely over. We'll still always carry some with us for the odd time we need it, but for the most part we'll now use the hook to climb out of and descend into pits.

Such a feeling's coming over me
There is wonder in most everything I see
Not a butt in the sky
Got the sun in my eye
And I won't be surprised if it's a dream

I'm on the top of the world
Looking down on creation!

NEXT TIME: Slime is falling from the sky!

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 8, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DoubleNegative posted:

1) get 15 gemstones, craft at an Anvil

Yo what the hell, how long has this been a thing?!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

DoubleNegative posted:

:allears: I could watch this gif all day...
I liked it enough to make a quick avatar-sized version!

Free to a good home.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 13, 2016

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Danaru posted:

Gem hooks? I think they've been around for a very, very long time; I'm pretty sure they were craftable when I last stopped playing...over a year ago, I think?

A lot of people seem to overlook them, probably because they're not a very obvious use for gemstones (and, yet, it's probably one of the best possible uses for them).

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Danaru posted:

Since 1.2 according to the wiki. So... 2013 or so?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Gem hooks have been a thing for a while, and it is of minor note that the higher tier of gem used, the better the hook. This makes a fairly significant difference in the early game, where you can have anything from an amethyst hook (18 block reach) to a diamond hook (28). DoubleNegative's is pretty decent, at 24. These early hooks are quickly trumped by later ones you can find though, so if yours is dinky it's not too much of a concern.
A much more recent addition shown this update was the equipment screen. It was only added in 1.3 just last year, and added dedicated slots for the hooks and a few other extremely useful things. Prior to that, using a hook required you to set aside a regular inventory slot for it and, if I remember correctly, even earlier builds required you to have it selected in order to use it, forcing it to take up a slot on your hotbar.
1.3 was a wonderful thing.

Also, after looking at the wiki page for hooks to make sure I got at least some of my facts right, I am reminded of a certain thing happening soon. I am super excited for it, and look forward to those unaware of it discovering its joys.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Would it be a good idea to mine that dart trap for future base-defense purposes? I'd expect so, since 40 damage plus poison would probably be devastating (or even instant death) for most monsters for quite a while; the problem would be setting up the trigger, I expect.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

Here's the final base. Like I said, be sure to post about which of the four new rooms you like best.

i'm a fan of the regular ol pentagon tbh. sometimes less is more

^^^ I did actually have a castle base I built one time where monsters would get onto the roof at night. So I built a dart trap up there. I put the pressure plate outside on the roof, the monsters themselves would set it off.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

Would it be a good idea to mine that dart trap for future base-defense purposes? I'd expect so, since 40 damage plus poison would probably be devastating (or even instant death) for most monsters for quite a while; the problem would be setting up the trigger, I expect.

It would, except it's gonna be a long time before you can set it up. You need a certain NPC's help, and that's all I'll say there.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

What if we moved the first step one block higher and the second step one block inward, making a dome? Would that look better?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Rather Watch Them posted:

What if we moved the first step one block higher and the second step one block inward, making a dome? Would that look better?

Personally I think it looks fine and it's my favourite out of the four new rooms.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

CptWedgie posted:

They seem annoying and utterly pointless after awhile, but get enough of those and you can make a building that will utterly ruin a fairly hefty speedbump later on in the game.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Mikl posted:

Personally I think it looks fine and it's my favourite out of the four new rooms.

Yeah, I agree the "dome" pattern looks best out of the four.

It also depends on which direction you want to take future expansion of the base. If you're building additional rooms on top, you'll probably want a flatter roof since it's more difficult to place furniture on a non-flat floor.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Another "this LP made me play again", started off between a desert and snow biome. Got lucky with a hook drop and a lot of silver and platinum so far.

As far as the rooms, the larger 'dome' one looks good to me.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Boy howdy did this game just dick me over. Can't give up on it though. Put to much effort into it :saddowns:

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 14, 2016

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
The first time I played Terraria and got the grappling hook, the first thing that popped in my mind was, "drat, if I start a new character, I will not be able to play the game properly until I get the grappling hook back." With all the mobility accessories you get in this game, it often made me wonder how I was able to get by without them.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Count me in as another "welp, now I wanna play Terraria again" victim.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I actually started playing for the first time thanks to this! No clue what I'm doing, etc. etc.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Count me in as another "welp, now I wanna play Terraria again" victim.

Me as well. I haven't played the game in something like three years, so it's interesting seeing how different it is from what I remember.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Danaru posted:

If you're not giving everything to the guide every time a new patch hits, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm sure it's nothing special for you but man, snails are one of those monsters that I just don't see much of.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Not gonna lie, I import a grappling hook on every new character. It's the only thing I carry over, but it's essential.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sure it's nothing special for you but man, snails are one of those monsters that I just don't see much of.

That's because those giant snail enemies are world-bound! There's three enemies, the giant shelly (snail), the crawdad, and the salamander, and any given world will only have two of them. They all fill the same role, (weak early-game melee enemy in the caverns), and they all have the same item drops so you aren't missing out on anything, but if you've never seen one of those three enemies that's why.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Lazy Bear posted:

Not gonna lie, I import a grappling hook on every new character. It's the only thing I carry over, but it's essential.

I kind of enjoy pre-grappling hook spelunking. It's kind of like a puzzle to solve. The addition of rope in 1.2 make it much more tolerable at least.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Yeah, thank God for the gem hooks. Trying to farm hooks was incredibly annoying.

Of course, my world is infested with piranhas, so I have about five spare hooks now.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I kind of enjoy pre-grappling hook spelunking. It's kind of like a puzzle to solve.

i enjoyed it, for awhile. i'm kind of over it now though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Kibbles n Shits posted:

The addition of rope in 1.2 make it much more tolerable at least.

Oh god, this. So much. Rope completely revolutionized exploring in this game. I don't have my release or 1.1 worlds anymore, but the tunnels beneath both were patchwork jobs with platforms and inexplicable dirt shelves everywhere. With all the quality of life changes added over the years, rope is easily one of the best.

I'm also happy that this LP has convinced so many people to start playing again, or even playing for the first time.

• Locked thread