Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I have sunk so many hours into this game. I've always started fresh with a new character every time a big patch came out, just to get a fresh experience.

It is absolutely worth the :10bux:, though it tends to go on sale on Steam for $2.50, which is an absolute steal.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, your items start with random modifiers, but starting with a copper short sword was added in a later patch.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Wooden Sword is actually a pretty decent starting weapon. Not super good, but it's capable of holding you over for a while until you find better things. It should be one of the first weapons crafted (Honestly I think players should have just started out with that instead of the copper shortsword.)

Shortswords suck. They only attack in front of the player, and have an extremely short range. Don't bother with them at all. Easily the worst weapon type in the game.

The first night is one of the roughest parts when starting out, so you should spend the first day preparing for it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Wow, talk about lucky. Finding a Magic Mirror that early makes things so much more bearable. Oh, and it doesn't have a mana cost anymore. That got taken out in 1.2. There's a slight edge the Recall Potions have over the Mirror, which is that they have a slightly faster use time to transport you. The mirror has a bit of a bigger delay, but that stops mattering pretty fast. Though the potions are a lot easier to come by than the mirror, and can hold you over until then.

CptWedgie posted:

That blowpipe looks REALLY handy. I mean, reasonable power, ranged attacks, and easy-to-acquire ammo? Lethal joke weapon! By the way, can you, hypothetically speaking, use plantable seeds as ammo, or is it just the seeds you get from grass? And how does it compare to the shuriken, statistically speaking?

And I'm sure this is also obvious, but you want ALL THE CHESTS, right? I mean, there's no such thing as "enough storage."

They have to be seeds you get from grass (Which you can't get without a blowpipe in your inventory.) Assuming the Blowpipe has no modifiers, they're actually more powerful in terms of raw damage, but their firing speed is lower.

You have no idea. :negative: I am so disorganized in my playthroughs and just hoard everything I find into chests.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'd love to help out too, and I'll also limit myself to the appropriate tier of gear.

Honestly, without heavily outclassing them in terms of gear, I'm not sure how some of the events in the lategame are possible solo. Hopefully you can get enough people to help out there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

EDIT: Also I had honestly forgotten that the spoilered item type even existed until earlier today.

Those item types are fairly decent, though it's not until later that they get really amazing, so I wouldn't worry too much about missing a few of those.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Out of interest, what item are people talking about? I got the carpet and I was more than happy with it.

The carpet is a good item to have. But the Sandstorm in a Bottle is a better version of another item and can be used to make a really good mobility accessory.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Lache posted:

My world has neither giant trees nor pyramids :sigh: I'm thinking I may roll another soon to see what that comes up with.

Regarding the spawn rates of uniques like the pyramid, does the red pyramid-like building that I have spawned in my Jungle with the ridiculously annoying trapped entrance count as one of those as well?

That one is guaranteed due to reasons.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

We do have a Terraria thread in Games.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Oh god, this. So much. Rope completely revolutionized exploring in this game. I don't have my release or 1.1 worlds anymore, but the tunnels beneath both were patchwork jobs with platforms and inexplicable dirt shelves everywhere. With all the quality of life changes added over the years, rope is easily one of the best.

I'm also happy that this LP has convinced so many people to start playing again, or even playing for the first time.

It's really nice at how the bigger updates streamline the early game experience, and makes it less of a hassle to go through.

1.0 Terraria is really primitive in comparison, and I don't want to go through its early game again. It's still rough even in 1.3, but not as much.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'm not sure whether you're lucky or unlucky, but you definitely have some form of luck. That was way too early to be taking on King Slime, especially since he can't be cheesed anymore.

Also yeah, only do Expert if you know the game inside out or want to spice up your multiplayer experience. It does have some benefits (A lot of items have higher drop rates there) but it would be absolutely miserable for a first time player.

Oh and the Ninja shirt isn't a vanity item anymore, they changed that in 1.3. It's actually a piece of armor now, mainly for the 5th class in the game, throwing. Though it's barely been implemented at this point.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 15, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm in the middle of doing some more recording because I was bored.

I had A Bad Time

Spoiler behind that link. It wasn't intentional.

I can only hope that your bad time went over quickly. :allears:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:argh: I can't believe you got that lucky. 2 pyramids, and both contained the useful items. :argh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I remember when the initial light pet used to be good/somewhat decent. Then it got nerfed to near uselessness a few months after release.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

1.2. made that light pet even more useless simply by changing the light's color to purple. Which barely helps you see anything and actually makes things worse in some cases. Before then, it didn't hurt to have around, even if it was questionably useful. At least the Crimson Heart is relatively fast, even if it doesn't provide much light in the end.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Nah, 1.2.3. changed the method from submerging it to when it rains.

You used to be able to harvest all the herbs at once and get seeds from them until they changed the blooming conditions in a later patch. Sadly, these conditions make that no longer the case.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh, that explains things. Also kinda figured you modded the game once you showed off the Corruption.

I'm curious, what does the game consider the default once you spawn in both the Corruption and Crimson? There are a few things in the game that kind of change depending on which kind of evil you have.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ah, that answers things.

Lazy Bear posted:

Are there? I'm trying to think of anything that's specifically independent of in-biome spawns/items.

To be vague, stuffing a certain type of key into a chest for one. Also, the V that spawns at the center after a certain point.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 30, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh, I mainly meant forced mimicry when I was talking about chests. Though that does answer something else I was wondering. :v:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Lazy Bear posted:

Yeah, my experience echoes this... Maybe something to do with an update? I s'pose time will tell.

Yes, it was added in 1.3, so it was a fairly newish change.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

mauman posted:

GODDAMMIT!! When the hell is this game going to let me go :negative:

Funny how a few years ago, 1.1 was what Redigit was considering to be the final update. And here we are now at 1.3, and still getting more stuff. All for free even.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

And 1.3.4 just dropped.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm thinking awful hard about recording my first experiences with the dungeon defender stuff and turning that into the next update.

Is that doable at the point you're at? Some of these updates to tend to be geared for the ultra late game, though I haven't fired up the game yet to see for myself.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

I do hope they don't decide that the Dungeon Defenders collab stuff will be limited time only, like a month.

They did a collab with another game before, and everything about it is still around.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Back when Terraria 1.1 came out, Redigit said it was going to be the last major update aside from some bug fixes. (Obviously he reversed that decision later on.) So Starbound came out at the perfect time for a lot of people.

I haven't really played much of it aside from when it was in Early Access, though from what I heard, it didn't improve too much and actually made a couple of things worse as time went on.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

You only need 20 pieces of Obsidian as well, and it doesn't require a special furnace.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

I fished up a Seedler. That was entertaining. :getin:

:raise: This shouldn't be possible anymore. 1.3.0.5. took out the ability to fish one up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I'd like to provide some assistance as well.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

queserasera posted:

Does the difficulty scale up in multiplayer? I would think more people means a tougher fight but earns a better reward. What about friendly fire?

If you're not playing in Expert mode, the only things that scale is the Goblin invasion and one other invasion. More enemies have to be killed for each player on the server.

In expert mode, certain enemies gain more stats for every player on the server. This includes bosses.

Friendly fire is not a thing unless you have PVP enabled for some reason.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Funnily enough, PVP originally doubled all damage outputs in earlier patches, probably to ensure that fights don't last for too long. Now PVP no longer does that, as there are far more powerful weapons to use.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Back during 1.1, Warding on everything was definitely the way to go. There weren't as many mobility options back then, so dodging attacks was really hard. You also didn't have much that warranted damage increases, as they didn't cut off that much time. Now you have more powerful weapons and actual ways to dodge attacks. Also the game progresses beyond this point, so things dealt way more damage, and -10 wasn't that helpful.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The Destroyer can't be hit by debuffs. Not since 1.2.1.2..

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The forums hiccup like that sometime. The only way to free the post is for another post to be made.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

If any of you weren't there for the multiplayer, let me just say that the event could only be described as a clusterfuck.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 30, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There was only one logical conclusion to the events that happened on that server.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Also I realized that I haven't played the game since May until the multiplayer event, so add me to the list of people that started playing again due to the LP.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, the moons turned my session into a slideshow of particle effects and sprites everywhere. I don't know how bad it was for the others, but was very laggy for me. I'm surprised I managed to avoid dying during those.

I decided to bling it up and use the gold dye and used a ring of fire to complete the look. :v: The Inferno Potion isn't really that great, though it does add some extra residual damage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Great LP! It definitely got me back into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

How, exactly? You mean they're not even grinding slimes for the slime staff or something?

Unfortunately, that's exactly what they have to do. Which is pretty terrible since that is the only summon weapon for the early game.

• Locked thread