Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
all right so this is my understanding:

radio waves, microwaves, gamma rays, light, etc are all waves- LIGHT is the only one we can see, the only visible wave. But radio waves are like the same thing, they're just invisible but they're also bouncing around in every single direction just like light.

And on top of that, we can send information on these waves. Therefore we have radio, WIFI via microwaves, etc.

So basically the earth is alive with invisible, vibrating information that is pulsating and thriving all around us? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
yep and your body emits this same information, these waves are read through walls using FLIR (infrared) tech

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yes. Someone can probably explain that for you. It's even pretty likely more than one person will.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

Twat McTwatterson posted:

radio waves, microwaves, gamma rays, light, etc are all waves- LIGHT is the only one we can see, the only visible wave. But radio waves are like the same thing, they're just invisible but they're also bouncing around in every single direction just like light.

And on top of that, we can send information on these waves. Therefore we have radio, WIFI via microwaves, etc.

So basically the earth is alive with invisible, vibrating information that is pulsating and thriving all around us? Right?

yeah you got it, or to put it another way "invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antennae bristle with the energy"

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
Is there anyone around who can explain the anatomy of an EM wave? that's a really cool facet of this but it's well beyond my expertise

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dookifex_maximus posted:

Is there anyone around who can explain the anatomy of an EM wave? that's a really cool facet of this but it's well beyond my expertise

It's light spiraling into a black hole.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Yeah just wait until you get to relativity at some point you'll just get mad and be like 'nah come on wtf is this.'

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
I dont understand the intuitive leap from "time is a vector" to "matter is energy"

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.

Twat McTwatterson posted:

yes

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

dookifex_maximus posted:

Well, are we discussing this from the perspective of wave theory or particle theory?

also that's as far as im willing to go

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

dookifex_maximus posted:

what do you mean by 'anatomy'?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Time is a cypher that creates depth. Vectors are curved along the plumb funnel of the time cypher at relativistic distances from origin and ultimately resolve to a 2D plane.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

what do you mean by 'anatomy'?

this stuff:

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Actually OP, it's a particle. No one has ever seen a light wave, light is just particles that move in some nonsense way and Bohr hosed up how to interpret the math.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Modest Mao posted:

Actually OP, it's a particle. No one has ever seen a light wave, light is just particles that move in some nonsense way and Bohr hosed up how to interpret the math.

It's actually all just waves.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

It's BOTH MANNN

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Fields are just things that people made up because they sound cool.

Real scientists know that the photon takes all possible routes at all possible speeds and polarizations, splitting into positron-electron pairs at all points in space, and casually reaches its destination precisely in a way that looks like it must have been a wave, but when it gets there it's just a particle after all.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Its proven to be both. Therefore its likely neither

But its easier to work with as waves, thus why your phone works (and why your Bluetooth butt plug vibrator pairs with it)

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 28, 2016

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Modest Mao posted:

Fields are just things that people made up because they sound cool.

Real scientists know that the photon takes all possible routes at all possible speeds and polarizations, splitting into positron-electron pairs at all points in space, and casually reaches its destination precisely in a way that looks like it must have been a wave, but when it gets there it's just a particle after all.

Lol.

naem
May 29, 2011

Modest Mao posted:

shakes head violently side to side no no no nooo no nooonooo nooo ioonoooaoo

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Literally no one has ever seen a light 'wave'. But every chemical process and your iphone camera and w/e are predicated on photons absorbing and emitting in a predictable way.

Wave theory is basically science in the same way creationism or vaccine induced autism are

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

dookifex_maximus posted:

I dont understand the intuitive leap from "time is a vector" to "matter is energy"

I don't think that is the direct leap on it's own, but in context it fits in with a couple other brilliant discoveries... I think it went something like the double slit experiment (light behaves both as wave+ particle), then Gold Foil experiment (matter isn't solid as we think it but small nuclei with electron clouds), Curie (understanding that there are certain elements which are unstable and decay emitting energy) and then to seal it up there was experimental proof when the nuclear process could be controlled (and designed based on the concept that radioactive decay results in changes of mass in the resultant isotopes, in miniscule portions of an atomic mass unit) and then wouldn't you know the energy that was being observed as output was aligning with the kinetic energy of that mass if it was travelling at light speed (as EM waves do)

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

dookifex_maximus posted:

i'd say you likely don't understand it because you're looking at an inaccurate characterization of relativity. the "leap" is really a series of small logical steps, and the starting point is really more like "the laws of physics have to be the same in every reference frame." from this starting point you basically end up realizing that energy is related to momentum similarly to how time is related to space, and this gets you the energy-momentum or mass-energy relation.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Modest Mao posted:

Literally no one has ever seen a light 'wave'. But every chemical process and your iphone camera and w/e are predicated on photons absorbing and emitting in a predictable way.

Wave theory is basically science in the same way creationism or vaccine induced autism are

utter nonsense.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
cool thanks, i'd also like to point out that if you follow my posting you'll know that i am not in fact a physicist, I am in fact a shitdick so i appreciate all the info

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
we call the extraneous paths the particles take "dark motion"

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

utter nonsense.

Name a single device that measures a light wave without backwards interpreting the wave from a photon counter

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

dookifex_maximus posted:

we call the extraneous paths the particles take "dark motion"

this is correct, but careful about terminology, we're talking about virtual particles

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

oh I see. yeah, so light is made up of electric and magnetic fields. faraday and others knew that if you changed a magnetic field it made an electric field, and maxwell came up with the idea that if you change an electric field you get a magnetic field. from there he was like "oh hey, you can make it so that these fields just keep producing themselves over and over" and that's what that picture shows basically. the red is the electric field and the blue the magnetic. I don't know if this is what you wanted but if want to know more just ask.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Grillary Clinton is trying to mislead you, an obvious troll, see my posts above

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Modest Mao posted:

Name a single device that measures a light wave without backwards interpreting the wave from a photon counter

get a green laser and shine it on a piece of gold. the EM field in the laser is in a coherent state so it doesn't even make sense to talk about in terms of photons. the piece of gold will start to heat up. congrats, you measured a light wave.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The only spacetime events relevant to electromagnetic phenomena were detailed by Feynmann in the 60s and 70s. They are:

1. A photon goes from one place and time to another place and time.
2. An electron goes from one place and time to another place and time.
3. An electron emits or absorbs a photon at a certain place and time.

Notice that there's nothing about waves or fields, that is because these are feel-good ideas that seemed to fit phenoma but later turned out to be bunk, much like the idea that heat was a material fluid or the earth was the center of the universe.

You can read more here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_electrodynamics

This theory is several orders of magnitude more accurate than wave theories.

"Richard Feynman called it "the jewel of physics" for its extremely accurate predictions..."

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
a lot of people rack their brains because they dont think about all the actual heat in the void. The noise floor of the quasars is bathing spacetime in heat. The earth casts a little shadow on them that has an exaggerated scopic resolution from our viewpoint. If you turned on a flashlight in an electromagnetically isolated vacuum at true zero temperature you would have little pieces of the filament forming on the outside of the lens, and you wouldn't see any light other than electrical arcing from the filament to the battery.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

oh I see. yeah, so light is made up of electric and magnetic fields. faraday and others knew that if you changed a magnetic field it made an electric field, and maxwell came up with the idea that if you change an electric field you get a magnetic field. from there he was like "oh hey, you can make it so that these fields just keep producing themselves over and over" and that's what that picture shows basically. the red is the electric field and the blue the magnetic. I don't know if this is what you wanted but if want to know more just ask.

yeah it owns. and then it makes it really obviously why a charged particle accelerating in a magnetic field will emit EM radiation, which is extremely sweet if you wanted to build a cyclotron or something

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Actually, god makes it all possible.

All answers can be found in god.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Modest Mao posted:

This theory is several orders of magnitude more accurate than wave theories.

lol, QED is entirely based on fields. try reading the wikipedia page you linked

Wikipedia posted:

In particle physics, quantum electrodynamics (QED) is the relativistic quantum field theory of electrodynamics.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
if you do that thing with ur pineal gland you can see the other wavelengths too

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

lol, QED is entirely based on fields. try reading the wikipedia page you linked

It is a theory of fields that is entirely devoid of a field permeatting all of space and instead it's just particles doing random stuff

Your arguments are at the level of saying 'Atheism is a theory of god therefore it admits god exists'

Also your gold example was pathetic as heck, a thing getting warm is not a direct measurement of a light wave lmao

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Modest Mao posted:

It is a theory of fields that is entirely devoid of a field permeatting all of space and instead it's just particles doing random stuff

Your arguments are at the level of saying 'Atheism is a theory of god therefore it admits god exists'

a 'particle' is just a particular configuration of the relevant field. QED is based on fields permeating all space that sometimes can be in configurations that correspond that what we think of as 'particles.' i know you're trolling but i'm not going to stop defending physics because physics gets my dick hard.

as a side note, there is a lot of serious discussion we could have about the ontological status of fields, but just saying "particles are real, fields aren't" is not clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
This year's nobel prize in Physics goes to Grillary Clinton for their experiment "I shined a light at a rock and the rock got hot a little bit" which proved the wave theory of light and ontological existence of electromagnetic fields.

• Locked thread