Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.

It's that time of the year again!

With GBS returning from the grave, so do we!

The dead are rising. Candy corporations are raising their expected quarterly earnings. Skeletons are pushing golden era Hollywood starlets into trapdoors of water.

Good stuff to post about
  • Skeleton chat
  • Skeleton posts
  • Trumpets
  • Costumes
  • Pumpkins & carving
  • Stuff from old threads
  • Trick/Treating/Candy stuff
  • Calcium
  • Anything really who cares ok? ok. :justpost:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's links to the previous threads:
Halloween 2013
Halloween 2012
Halloween 2011
Halloween 2010
Halloween 2009
Halloween 2008

Doesn't look like we had any decent Halloween threads in '14 or '15.

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
heh well I *snk* got a HAHA heh well I got a bone for ya op

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

costume chatte:

i'm still deciding what to do for a costume tbh. I might just rip off my skin and expose the skeleton that truly is. Otherwise a bunch of buddies and I were thinking of going as the classic group of booze-related mascots (captain morgan &c) but it sounds lame.

How can I counter the inevitable shitstorm of donald trump and harley quinn costumes, skeleton crew?

luv 2 date boys posted:

heh well I *snk* got a HAHA heh well I got a bone for ya op

noice

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I am thinking of being Snake Plissken or Thunderdome era Mad Max for Halloween since it's a costume I can do with poo poo I already own.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Skeletons are the trash part of the body, flesh forever.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I'm divorcing so a sad clown seems appropriate.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

:spooky: Dead, Gay, and Loving It! :spooky:

It's the Baron Samedi / Something Awful spooktacular don't-kill-yourself-a-thon, 2016!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yesssss, the annual GBS Halloween costume thread. :toot: If anyone is thinking of a particular costume but isn't sure how to go about making it then post questions here and goons will make suggestions.

Halloween 2013
Halloween 2012
Halloween 2011
Halloween 2010
Halloween 2009
Halloween 2008

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 28, 2016

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I would like to propose that no person uses the term "spoopy" in this great thread fill of potential, please.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

this thread is v spoopy

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
:hb:

Trying hard to get my kid to dress up as some bloody gore monster and not whatever lame rear end superhero thing is going on right now.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yesssss, the annual GBS Halloween costume thread. :toot: If anyone is thinking of a particular costume but isn't sure how to go about making it then post questions here and goons will make suggestions.

Halloween 2013
Halloween 2012
Halloween 2011
Halloween 2010
Halloween 2009
Halloween 2008

Thanks! Added to OP

ElGroucho posted:

:hb:

Trying hard to get my kid to dress up as some bloody gore monster and not whatever lame rear end superhero thing is going on right now.

I like dis guy.

Know how far you're going to take the costume? Like, we talking painting some cheap cloth, or molding silicone prosthetics?

I recall last year a bunch of kids had costumes that were insanely custom and detailed. Like, they must really have parents who get way into it, and also have the time/money/skills to make super custom stuff.

Does anyone have any neat neighborhood halloween stuff near them every year? I live in a city neighborhood where people put up haunted houses so big the police comes and closes off the street. Really looking forward to seeing what they manage to come up with this year.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Once i get this the right sizes its gonna be my AV

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If anyone wants to make a costume but is struggling to come up with an idea then te PYF Cosplay thread has lots of inspiration for creative/funny/cheap costumes.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Nothing wrong with the classics. From last year -

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
My boyfriend is letting me use him as Jason for a photoshoot, and now he's decided it's going to be his Halloween costume :3: He'll be trimming the beard and we have a better mask coming on Saturday that'll look so much better!

Here's some test shots from a corn maze:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

McKilligan posted:

Nothing wrong with the classics. From last year -

:stwoon:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

youareoffthehook posted:

My boyfriend is letting me use him as Jason for a photoshoot, and now he's decided it's going to be his Halloween costume :3: He'll be trimming the beard and we have a better mask coming on Saturday that'll look so much better!

Lol you should get him a bigger mask.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

Lol you should get him a bigger mask.

Yeah, this was just a test with a $5 mask and some paint we had at the house.

I did say we have a better mask coming in the mail, and he'll be trimming the beard as well.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Oh ok, I thought that was a normal-sized mask and his head just happened to be extra large.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

Oh ok, I thought that was a normal-sized mask and his head just happened to be extra large.

Haha yeah its mostly just the huge amount of facial hair he's got, and this was a 'hey, my company is having an event at a corn maze, let's go test this out to see if the outfit will work with the Jason theme!' kinda thing so he didn't trim the beard beforehand. But once we get the real mask in he will trim it down, and we also have a bald cap he'll be using which will help also.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Fiance and I are working a haunted house this year again. I will be wearing my face and she is gonna be on stilts.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

The 1st of Halloween is only two days away

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Straight man checking in to agree.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
My family thinks spray painting baby-dolls with glow in the dark paint and suspending them in mason jars would be "weird" as a Halloween decoration. But at the same time they think if I make them look like mutant babies by stitching them together or combine them with other toys and then spray paint them then whatever, it's fine. They're still babies though, they're just deformed. I don't think I understand the argument.

So now I have to come up with a creative way to Frankenstein some dolls so people won't get offended.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrSlam posted:

So now I have to come up with a creative way to Frankenstein some dolls so people won't get offended.

If you do a GIS for 'halloween scary baby doll' there's hundreds of examples of creepy-rear end baby dolls that people have made for Halloween. Buying up a ton of cheap baby dolls at the discount store, cutting them up and gluing them back together in weird configurations is always a good start.

And then you can take all the leftovers and turn them into a nifty costume for yourself!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

last year my gf and i went dressed as my friend and his dog. im pretty sure my friend fucks his dog so it was a good couples costume.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Now we're talking. What did you make that out of? Awesome detail too, did you sculpt it or was it captured in molding?

a bit fleshy though

youareoffthehook posted:

:spooky:

naem
May 29, 2011

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I put up my first outdoor decorations today. It's my first time being in a house for Halloween in nearly 10 years!

I got a few little tombstones and a giant ghost from the dollar store. The ghost is hanging in a tree above the tombstones and looks quite spooky.

Gonna host my first real Halloween party at the new house and my husband and I will be dressed as Gomez and Morticia. I found my Morticia costume at Value Village the other day. A long, black dress and mesh sleeves. Both pieces still had original price tags on them, so I ended up with $150 worth of costume for 28 bucks.

Gotta practice my Morticia makeup now.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Phraggah posted:

Now we're talking. What did you make that out of? Awesome detail too, did you sculpt it or was it captured in molding?

a bit fleshy though

:spooky:

My fiance made them. The mask is liquid latex and flour. The face is done in silicone and she casted my face to do it. Still needs hair and that has 17 layers of paint on it. Its kinda weird having like 10 copies of my own face laying around the apartment.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Polish posted:

My fiance made them. The mask is liquid latex and flour. The face is done in silicone and she casted my face to do it. Still needs hair and that has 17 layers of paint on it. Its kinda weird having like 10 copies of my own face laying around the apartment.

Crazy. Do you guys have much background in sculpting and moulding, or are you sort of picking it up as you go?

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

youareoffthehook posted:

Get him a darker or at least more raggedy looking jacket. That one doesn't look like it's spent enough time on the bottom of Crystal Lake.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Phraggah posted:

Crazy. Do you guys have much background in sculpting and moulding, or are you sort of picking it up as you go?

I have no background.. she is all the talent but with no background or art school. She basically just watched a ton of youtube videos and then is just naturally good at it. I tried to cast her face and almost killed her so I am just the test dummy, support, and ideas. The skin mask is actually pretty difficult to make.. she mostly is working with latex and tissues\cottonballs\tissues\etc. First day of the haunted house is tonight and its kinda a test run. I'll get finished pictures next week when were all ready to go.

If anyone has any tips on how to yell and scream for four hours without a headache and vocal chord damage I am all ears. I didnt get my full voice back for 5 months last year.

Here is what she used for the skin mask:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJTKlIjf8hY

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Polish posted:

If anyone has any tips on how to yell and scream for four hours without a headache and vocal chord damage I am all ears. I didnt get my full voice back for 5 months last year.

I have choir friends who have a bunch of tricks for stuff like this: screaming in the same vocal range that you speak in can reduce stress on your vocal chords, avoid rattling your vocal chords when you scream, do actual vocal warm ups if you need to go above your normal range, and try to relax the muscles in your throat.

They mention it may help to think of it less like screaming and more like singing.

The magic solution for their soar throats, all else failing, is a type of tea called Throat Coat. I'm not sure where you get it, but it comes highly recommended.

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 4, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

scuba school sucks posted:

Get him a darker or at least more raggedy looking jacket. That one doesn't look like it's spent enough time on the bottom of Crystal Lake.

So we did the final shoot last night, we definitely roughed it up and stuff so it looks more raggedy. That was the day we got the jacket so he wore it to work for a week (works with construction and stuff like that) and then tore it up more so it doesn't look new anymore. We'll probably do some more to it as it's now his Halloween costume as well, so it'll be improved on some more too :)

Plus, I have a lead on a summer camp property we can actually use for the final final costume so I'm stoked on that!

• Locked thread