Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

"it is what it is"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fred
Jun 14, 2000
This thread.

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
"gently caress you"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dr. Fred posted:

This thread.

that is not an idiom

devin2 posted:

"gently caress you"

this one is actually extremely useful and versatile, and may actually be the MOST useful. Unless you were just being hella "ironic" haha

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sokrateez posted:

"it is what it is"

For some time now, I've decided that GBS went from a reasonable place to read about things to a burning garbage trash fire. I was happy when it got deleted and I hoped it would stay that way. Now the first post I come back to the in new GBS is a contentless repeat of the trash phrase Wal-Mart managers and teachers tell each other to pretend that things aren't poo poo? By some dickhead with a poorly spelled historical nickname. Why did this garbage forum come back from the dead?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

litany of gulps posted:

For some time now, I've decided that GBS went from a reasonable place to read about things to a burning garbage trash fire. I was happy when it got deleted and I hoped it would stay that way. Now the first post I come back to the in new GBS is a contentless repeat of the trash phrase Wal-Mart managers and teachers tell each other to pretend that things aren't poo poo? By some dickhead with a poorly spelled historical nickname. Why did this garbage forum come back from the dead?

that one's definitely overused

MiracleWhale fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 28, 2016

Dr. Fred
Jun 14, 2000

Sokrateez posted:

that is not an idiom

"This thread" is definitely an idiom in this online community.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Sokrateez posted:

"it is what it is"

That's a good idiom but a little awkward as a consequence of english sentence structure. If I remember correctly a bunch of other languages have very common phrases with similar meaning. Japanese definitely does but I can't remember it.

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's always in the last place you look.

much like the good content of this thread

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MiracleWhale posted:

that one's definitely overused

Look at this retard. He actually had an idiom, then he edited it out. gently caress, why did I even look in this shithole.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

litany of gulps posted:

Look at this retard. He actually had an idiom, then he edited it out. gently caress, why did I even look in this shithole.

i thought the edited version was funnier. got a problem, jabroni?

d00kiemastah
Jun 11, 2006
An afro is the symbol of a man.

litany of gulps posted:

You don't sound smart enough to criticize a forum full of the dumbest poo poo I've ever seen

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

litany of gulps posted:

Source your quotes

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"It is what it is" is how you say "welp" if you're not a goony internet nerd, OP. Therefore it is useful.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
At the end of the day

So he turns round and says

So, it's come to this

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

CJacobs posted:

"It is what it is" is how you say "welp" if you're not a goony internet nerd, OP. Therefore it is useful.
But what if you say "Whelp, it is what it is."?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Sokrateez posted:

"it is what it is"

I have this tattooed on my cock.

Jul 30, 2013

Sokrateez posted:

that is not an idiom

this one is actually extremely useful and versatile, and may actually be the MOST useful. Unless you were just being hella "ironic" haha

fair point and well made. but i'm trying hard to find one that is useless because per definition they make really good use of the language.

maybe "kicked the bucket" or "pulling my chain"? but those are both useful if archaic.

drat

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
"Does a bear poo poo in the woods?"

vs

"Piece of cake!"

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

symbolic posted:

But what if you say "Whelp, it is what it is."?
How about
Whoop there it is!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
pretty good

Jul 30, 2013
ok no one will ever win this argument so let's make this about the best idioms

my uncle once called something "as rare as rocking-horse poo poo" and it really doesn't get much better than that

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

devin2 posted:

my uncle once called something "as rare as rocking-horse poo poo" and it really doesn't get much better than that

king poo poo of gently caress mountain

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

think outside the box

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
agreed, op, but, c'est la vie, it's immaterial, that's the way the cookie crumbles. it can't be helped: poo poo happens; so it goes. there's no use crying over spilt milk. que sera sera. if wishes and buts were candy and nuts

Rubbergoose
Jul 13, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

I have this tattooed on my cock.

What size font?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Rubbergoose posted:

What size font?

36 Point Impact.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

36 Point Impact.

As seen on your mom's resume

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

devin2 posted:

ok no one will ever win this argument so let's make this about the best idioms

I always liked "colder than a witch's tit."

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
"Yah, and people in hell want ice water."

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

i'm partial to "i'll be there in a hot minute", which in my experience can represent a span of times ranging from seconds to several hours

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

"too pooped to pop" just sounds weird to me, a non-english language person. I wouldn't use it, personally.

Rubbergoose
Jul 13, 2006

VendaGoat posted:

36 Point Impact.

I had to use Courier New for mine

Basch lives!
May 31, 2011
Grimy Drawer
Dinosaur Gum
now you're on the trolley

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://twitter.com/levonwei/status/626573123534589952

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

litany of gulps posted:

devin2 posted:

"gently caress you"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if that guy is quoting someone ill lift the probe lol. Thanks Folks!!

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
like two mice in a fruit cake

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol this one is my favourite so far

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

"too pooped to pop" just sounds weird to me, a non-english language person. I wouldn't use it, personally.

and what the gently caress is this one even supposed to mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

litany of gulps posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

"Nice meltdown"

that's my idiom to contribute SEe y'all later!

• Locked thread