Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Yeah I read it as "Don't let NATO escape, the plan is to eventually get the village" but I thought that might be campaign fluff. The only NOW objective I read was "Block the road, kill em as you see em, anything else is gravy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

sandorius posted:

"Your mission is to close the gap. Friendly units to our south-east have been pursing allied units towards the highway, estimated to be roughly a battalion's worth of mixed American and Ukrainian units desperately trying to make their way to friendly lines. We must deny them the use of the highway and destroy as many military assets as we can. Our ultimate objective is capturing the village of Bystryk on the opposite side of the highway in order to secure our own supply line while denying its use to the enemy. Should resistance prove too great, focus on continued denial of the highway to ensure no enemy units escape to Krolevets as well as the destruction of precious enemy assets. Reserve units are rushing to relieve the rest of the 20th Motor Rifles on the outskirts of the city and elements of 2nd Battalion will be joining you within the hour to help secure this strategically vital sector."

I hope I'm not being too notpicky here, but to me these orders read "stop NATO from moving off the west edge of the map at all costs, take the village as the (optional) last objective". Of course the Russians are going to try and set up ambushes on the highway first. The fluff implies that NATO is being chased through the village, they're not going to try and hold on to it, so why attack them head-on? Especially since my impression is that smoke doesn't work on modern IR optics, so they'd just be getting blown up by superior spotting/range.

In general, though, these new objectives are a great idea. Thanks for doing this LP, Generation Internet, I'm really looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Not too nitpicky at all, that's the kind of scrutiny that's warranted when I decide to make the objectives for both sides intentionally non-specific :v:

When writing them up I wanted to give each team general impressions of what they're supposed to be doing within the strategic context I gave them. For REDFOR I threw in the village objective to try and impress upon them that they should be more of the aggressor in this situation and put pressure on the BLUFOR forces. I also thought it could possibly draw some fighting away from the forests and into the open, but everyone is too scared of ATGMs and tanks, for good reason. Professor_Curly has adopted a way more defensive strategy than I would have imagined, but he's done so entirely in service of the large strategic objective which is denying the road to NATO. I'm not sure he picked up so much on the fact that this is also to be his main supply route for the strategic advance to Kiev, though, I think he'd mine the road and put tank traps on it if he could.

Regardless, hopefully the fact that they've each assessed the situation using what little I've given them and come up with their own solutions will give them more ownership over the scenario and help prevent burnout.

Right now both teams are going to be diving straight into the woods in the west.

Dtokozl NATO plan:

Jaguars! Diagram of Russian orders so far:

I don't know how this is going to go. Right now it looks like all three NATO companies will be engaged in the woods with only two of the Russian companies. With Russia hanging back their third company so far it also looks on paper like NATO has a decent chance of getting infantry overlooking the open plains in the middle, too. With NATO receiving all its reinforcements before Russia, it looks like they have pretty good chances of holding back two isolated companies of dismounts in the woods, especially because I think Russia is likely going to suffer more from traffic jams.

e: Pictured, a single bogged BTR holding up an entire company on one of those choke points highlighted on Jaguars! map. Russia is going to take 10-15 minutes to fully be in position.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 4, 2016

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I wonder if the issue might just be that REDFOR isn't willing to sacrifice a company to stall BLUFOR. Because a full-speed charge down the highway would probably shred whatever company did it, but it's also the only way for the Russians to get the rest of their troops to the east-west highway before NATO does.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Goon games are hilariously risk averse - which makes sense because no one wants to have their company of battle taxis blown to bits in the first six minutes and command a quarter platoon of guys too hosed up to move or take action hiding in some ditches in a field.

I feel like in this game that strongly benefits BLUFOR because of the differences in force composition, objective, and doctrine, but we shall see! It will be fun. When is turn one?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Ideally everyone will have their orders in by Thursday so I can roll out the first turn before going away for the weekend. I think almost the entire Russian team has orders in but almost nobody for NATO, so we'll see if we can run it. The first turn will probably end up being anti-climactic anyways, even for a first turn, because instead of five minutes it will end up being one since the Russians called in artillery on the roads out of the NATO spawn. I'll have to run the first minute, and if any NATO units can see the artillery coming in I'll give them a chance to decide how to deal with it.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

REDFOR is moving their entire battalion through two swampy dirt paths and have discovered this is an issue and are trying to traffic cop a solution and

:psyduck:

Clearly this is the result of too much planning time. At this rate they will spend more time planning a timetable for their troop movements than planning for the actual fighting.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Goons. Goons never change.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Generation Internet posted:

REDFOR is moving their entire battalion through two swampy dirt paths and have discovered this is an issue and are trying to traffic cop a solution and

Clearly this is the result of too much planning time. At this rate they will spend more time planning a timetable for their troop movements than planning for the actual fighting.

Don't want to say "I told you so", but... called it.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

loving lol :ussr:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Also, since I have nothing to do with this game until more orders come in aside from watch spreadsheets, I edited a whole bunch of loose HQ units in the game to have goon commanders. As in, if you've posted in this thread as an observer, you're now in the game as a random platoon commander and your personal pixeltruppen are in the hands of those goons actually playing.

If anyone else wants their name attached to an actual unit in the game, just post literally anything in this thread and I'll put you in if you make it before I run the first turn.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Nice touch!

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Ooo, ooo, I want to get killed!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Is that sort of bottleneck planning actually going to be useful?

Combat Mission has always seemed like the kind of game where a light touch was best when it came to movement orders, and incredible specificity just wound up with disasters.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Can't do any worse than my participation days :v:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

simplefish posted:

Nice touch!

I was pretty pleased when I found out I could name the unit leaders, just one more reason it's better to do these with the scenario editor instead of the quick-battle function. I'm working my way down the chain of command, so some people will be safer than others, say in the engineer platoon. If we get down to squad leaders, goon life expectancy will plummet.

BurningStone posted:

Ooo, ooo, I want to get killed!

Congratulations on your new Russian weapons platoon!

Cassa posted:

Is that sort of bottleneck planning actually going to be useful?

Combat Mission has always seemed like the kind of game where a light touch was best when it came to movement orders, and incredible specificity just wound up with disasters.

I ran some lazy tests a while ago and mass-ordered an entire company across the choke-points without making any way-points, and they actually sorted it out themselves in about 6 minutes, which is way better than I would have imagined. I don't think the insane measures Russia is taking will really benefit them all that much. No matter how staggered they start their units, they're all going to slow right down in the swamps and all it takes is one bogged BTR to throw off their entire schedule.

Personally I definitely prefer the light touch. It does everything a player would do to unfuck traffic, but in far fewer steps.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can't do any worse than my participation days :v:

I specifically made you a tank :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I specifically made you a tank :v:

Touché

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

I ran some lazy tests a while ago and mass-ordered an entire company across the choke-points without making any way-points, and they actually sorted it out themselves in about 6 minutes, which is way better than I would have imagined. I don't think the insane measures Russia is taking will really benefit them all that much. No matter how staggered they start their units, they're all going to slow right down in the swamps and all it takes is one bogged BTR to throw off their entire schedule.

Personally I definitely prefer the light touch. It does everything a player would do to unfuck traffic, but in far fewer steps.

I am by no means an expert, but multiple starting and end points, or just avoiding forests as much as possible.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
It also assumes that they aren't being shot at by anything. We know they won't be bombarded right from the get-go, but choke-points have a nasty way of bringing attention to themselves and it doesn't hurt to have a flanking force.

Alberto Gonzalez
Apr 28, 2008
I'm willing to trust these great goon commanders with my life.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It also assumes that they aren't being shot at by anything. We know they won't be bombarded right from the get-go, but choke-points have a nasty way of bringing attention to themselves and it doesn't hurt to have a flanking force.

True true, I mean this:

is better than this:

Assuming you don't get immediately artillery'd, and the more specific your order, the more likely there's going to be an error.

Just based on watching previous games, not trying to imply Generation Internet inept, just the more steps the worse.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cassa posted:

True true, I mean this:

is better than this:

Assuming you don't get immediately artillery'd, and the more specific your order, the more likely there's going to be an error.

Just based on watching previous games, not trying to imply Generation Internet inept, just the more steps the worse.

Yeah, I know what you meant.

Its funnier too because if they go with Diagram #2, it not only means they have a bottleneck at the woods, but a completely exposed force sitting in the open in front of said bottleneck :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Reminds me of that WWI board game LP where we spent like a week obsessing about timetables of breaching each individual layer of trenches, only to learn on turn 1 literally all our calculations were totally wrong and we were storming into our own artillery and gas.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
This is a post ensuring glory on the battlefield.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah, I know what you meant.

Its funnier too because if they go with Diagram #2, it not only means they have a bottleneck at the woods, but a completely exposed force sitting in the open in front of said bottleneck :v:

Technically behind. I'm still confused why REDFOR are loving off to the southwest through hill and bog when they know their opponents have actual roads they can use to get to the same part of the map. Deploying south of Eagle seems overly ambitious and can bite them in the rear end.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

What the hell is redfor doing?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'd prefer to be Ukrainian if I'm not in already

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Eastbound Spider posted:

What the hell is redfor doing?

I don't know, but this from the REDFOR thread is gold

Katznmaus posted:

What have we done?! :ussr:

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Also, since I have nothing to do with this game until more orders come in aside from watch spreadsheets, I edited a whole bunch of loose HQ units in the game to have goon commanders. As in, if you've posted in this thread as an observer, you're now in the game as a random platoon commander and your personal pixeltruppen are in the hands of those goons actually playing.

If anyone else wants their name attached to an actual unit in the game, just post literally anything in this thread and I'll put you in if you make it before I run the first turn.

Oooo ooo! Am I in coach? What's my position?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

give me a REDFOR ATGM team p l z

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

sign me up for naming glory

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Katznmaus posted:

What have we done?! :ussr:

VKing posted:

I don't know, but this from the REDFOR thread is gold

I loving love this so much. I need to figure out a way to mod the DC:Barbarossa German names to be whatever goons sign up and put them in charge of whatever decisions pop up related to them.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 6, 2016

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
So let me get this straight. Russian plan is to take the offroad route to stage ambush positions along the highway. Due to lack of supplies for 152mm guns, they're not going to put down any fires until they get eyes on the enemy. It is raining, they're going into a swampy forest and expect to meet the enemy at RPG ranges.

That's a bit close to start dropping 152mm shells, isn't it?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Oooo ooo! Am I in coach? What's my position?

You and everyone else who has posted so far is in! I've started inputting orders as of now, though, so that's it as far as editing names goes. We actually managed to fill every starting platoon level command plus a few reinforcements. Three people ended up as Russian squad commanders, so you'd best hope nobody gets their BTR shot up :v:

Also, Ace, I want you to know that it was incredibly hard not to send a winky face or something just now:

Hob_Gadling posted:

So let me get this straight. Russian plan is to take the offroad route to stage ambush positions along the highway. Due to lack of supplies for 152mm guns, they're not going to put down any fires until they get eyes on the enemy. It is raining, they're going into a swampy forest and expect to meet the enemy at RPG ranges.

That's a bit close to start dropping 152mm shells, isn't it?

Glorious first wave will pave the way for the second wave to secure the fields of burning forests and charred corpses.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Russian plan is some Vlasovite poo poo.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Russian plan is some Vlasovite poo poo.

The Volgograd RKKA Historical Reenactment Society welcomes you to their first commemorative reenactment of the Great Winter War.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I'm up for naming, preferably in something that goes fast so i get to Michael Bay it around the battlefield like that one jeep from an LP past.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

TehKeen posted:

I'm up for naming, preferably in something that goes fast so i get to Michael Bay it around the battlefield like that one jeep from an LP past.

You just missed me putting in orders :(

Also, I put in many, many hours to run five minutes of traffic hell and not much else:

Videos coming up tomorrow, but they're not particularly exiting. Looks like Russia will get troops in the woods first, but they might be crippled by deploying their entire third company in a completely useless defensive position. It's completely understandable from their perspective, but it's not going to have much to do. It's going to take NATO another five minutes just to get there, though.

Bogged vehicle count:

RUS - 1
NATO - 1

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

bet you cant wait for stuff to start dying so you have less units to input for.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Joke's on me, I made sure there's more coming :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Bogged vehicle counter should be an ongoing feature. The people demand maximum mud!

• Locked thread