Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Lots of new frog species have been observed in the SW part of Finland lately. Environmental protection is certain that it's the work of someone deliberately releasing these frogs into the wild. (original in Finnish: http://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9166065)

Makes you think what other animals out there originate from something like this and will more people embrace the rare frog type of trolling in the future? Seems like an easy way to leave a lasting legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Finland is well known for its trolls, gnomes and goblins so frankly I'm not surprised, OP.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Pepe rides again.

White man ain't gonna keep Pepe down. He's going to scandinavia to show'em whats up.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
It's me, I'm the frog man

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It's me, I'm the frog man

"I did it for the lulz" - tombstone of frog man

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Eh, frogghetaboutit
*shrugs new yorkishly*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Rare Pepes... they're real...

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

Makes you think what other animals out there originate from something like this and will more people embrace the rare frog type of trolling in the future? Seems like an easy way to leave a lasting legacy.

There's a legend that some guy released starlings in the US because he wanted every bird mentioned by Shakespeare to also exist in the new world and then they destroyed the native ecosystem.

Also raccoons are tearing poo poo up in Germany and Japan, because they both had mildly popular shows that included a pet raccoon. People inevitably got their own pet raccoons but they weren't native and nobody knew that adult raccoons are huge assholes, so they just tossed them in the woods and that's that they'll have them forever.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

Dogmeat posted:

There's a legend that some guy released starlings in the US because he wanted every bird mentioned by Shakespeare to also exist in the new world and then they destroyed the native ecosystem.

Also raccoons are tearing poo poo up in Germany and Japan, because they both had mildly popular shows that included a pet raccoon. People inevitably got their own pet raccoons but they weren't native and nobody knew that adult raccoons are huge assholes, so they just tossed them in the woods and that's that they'll have them forever.

Raccoons sound really cool and a great way to troll a nation.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Man releases ultra rare, racist frog into Finnish woods.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Lots of new frog species have been observed in the SW part of Finland lately. Environmental protection is certain that it's the work of someone deliberately releasing these frogs into the wild. (original in Finnish: http://yle.fi/uutiset/3-9166065)

What kind of environmental impact will this have? I mean on the one hand releasing nonnative species in an area almost always results in one of two things happening, the new species either dies out in a generation or two or establishes itself in the ecosystem by displacing other species. But...frogs? They eat insects and stuff like that that breeds super fast anyway.

weirdly chilly pussy
Oct 6, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

What kind of environmental impact will this have? I mean on the one hand releasing nonnative species in an area almost always results in one of two things happening, the new species either dies out in a generation or two or establishes itself in the ecosystem by displacing other species. But...frogs? They eat insects and stuff like that that breeds super fast anyway.

They hybridize like hell, producing endless new versions of the original frogs in question.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
Unless those frogs are into death metal or were recently released after extremely lenient prison sentences, this doesn't sound very Scandinavian at all.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Raccoons sound really cool and a great way to troll a nation.

Oh most definitely. The urban ones also live off of leftovers from humans and are developing serious heart disease and diabetes problems so the trolling is like, many layers deep at this point.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What if an eco terrorist were to release cane toads worldwide?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Chomp8645 posted:

Man releases ultra rare, racist frog into Finnish woods.

Frogs aghast as Finns are even more racist

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Chomp8645 posted:

I think you can get on a watch list just for suggesting this.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
maybe this guy was just an avid Pocket Frogs player and he had a hole in his pocket and the frogs all fell out

Woodglue
May 8, 2008

Dogmeat posted:

It's not a legend it was some rear end in a top hat named Eugene Schieffelin. Not only do they out compete more desirable native species. They also are disease vectors for histoplasmosis, which can damage your lungs and eyes or kill you if you are immunodeficient. loving poo poo birds are the reason I'm partially blind in my right eye from scarring on the macula from histo.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
Spurdo Spärdes prefer to hunt in the wild, so Finland has to replenish their food supply.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

hey how do frogs survive the winter, anyway

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They probably inbred enough times to have mutants that took in the environment.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

FuhrerHat posted:

hey how do frogs survive the winter, anyway

arent there some species of frogs/some kind of amphibian who can get frozen all the way thru and then unfreeze later and just be alive and cool again

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

All those beautiful bogs, lost forever to eco terrorism

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Ribbit for her pleasure

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*
Time to break out the ol' whacking stick, methinks!

Should I whack slow or fast?

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Quickly! posted:

arent there some species of frogs/some kind of amphibian who can get frozen all the way thru and then unfreeze later and just be alive and cool again

Nearly all frogs

quote:

Frogs hibernate to escape the freezing temperatures of winter. Their heartbeats and breathing slow, their body temperature drops to nearly match the outside temperature, and they pass the time in a state of dormancy or torpor. Aquatic frogs hibernate under water and take in oxygen from the water through their skin.

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*
Well, according to the article in the OP one species of newly introduced frog is Pelophylax esculentus, the Edible Frog.
Apparently that's the kind they eat in France. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_frog

So I guess we could just.... eat them? :shrug:

Frogburger, anyone? :frog: :burger:

Another one is Lacerta agilis, the Sand Lizard. They look pretty. I want one.
Perhaps it's time to hop on a train to Åbo and go for a nature walk?

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009
I bet the frogs are more talkative than the natives.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

AAPsel posted:

I bet the frogs are more talkative than the natives.

It has been impossible to confirm or deny this as researchers cannot distinguish subjects; both croak incomprehensibly then leap for the safety of the bog when approached.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Chomp8645 posted:

what do we call anti-environmental sabotage anyways? eco-terrorism is about pro environment stuff (smashing up suvs and torching houses made up of crap that would never burn cleanly)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Boof Bonser posted:

Unless those frogs are into death metal or were recently released after extremely lenient prison sentences, this doesn't sound very Scandinavian at all.

That would be because Finland Proper, where they have been spotted, isn't in Scandinavia.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lamebot posted:

what do we call anti-environmental sabotage anyways? eco-terrorism is about pro environment stuff (smashing up suvs and torching houses made up of crap that would never burn cleanly)

Capitalism.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
racism on the rise in finland as unkown miscreant releases frogs, a symbol of white supremacy, into the environment

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

autoaim.cfg posted:

Well, according to the article in the OP one species of newly introduced frog is Pelophylax esculentus, the Edible Frog.
Apparently that's the kind they eat in France. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_frog

So I guess we could just.... eat them? :shrug:

Frogburger, anyone? :frog: :burger:

Another one is Lacerta agilis, the Sand Lizard. They look pretty. I want one.
Perhaps it's time to hop on a train to Åbo and go for a nature walk?

Edible invasive species are great cause then nobody feels guilty about genocide the whole lot. Its happening in Virginia with the whole Snakefish epidemic.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Woodglue posted:

It's not a legend it was some rear end in a top hat named Eugene Schieffelin. Not only do they out compete more desirable native species. They also are disease vectors for histoplasmosis, which can damage your lungs and eyes or kill you if you are immunodeficient. loving poo poo birds are the reason I'm partially blind in my right eye from scarring on the macula from histo.

i can see how this would be distressing for you.

sorry about your eye

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Lamebot posted:

what do we call anti-environmental sabotage anyways?

Capitalism

edit- gently caress someone beat me to it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Moon Atari posted:

Capitalism

edit- gently caress someone beat me to it

Congratulations you made the same joke as a guy with this avatar.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

BexGu posted:

Edible invasive species are great cause then nobody feels guilty about genocide the whole lot. Its happening in Virginia with the whole Snakefish epidemic.

Snakehead fish ate my family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Snakehead fish ate my family

The new hot single from Dr. Richmond.

• Locked thread