Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favorite minecraft lets player
bernie sanders
bernie sanders
bernie sanders
GIVE ME BERNIE SANDERS PUTTY YOU gently caress
View Results

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr.Kattykat posted:

perilous, exciting combat

I think Telltale may have kinda cheaped out on TWD Season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
To be fair it captures the spirit of Minecraft's combat perfectly in that it's so basic and lazy you wonder why they even bothered including it.

Katty!
Aug 26, 2015

Chillin'

I completely forgot that you get shot by a skeleton yet when you start combat you have full health. Choices Matter.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When that happened I was reminded of the opening segment of an episode of Telltale's TWD where a character takes a crossbow bolt to the shoulder in the exact same spot. I am sorely disappointed there was no minigame where you had to slowly wrench the arrow out of Jesse's shoulder only for it to poof out of existence in a pixelated puff of smoke.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I wonder how the people who made Telltale's other games felt about their next job being a Minecraft machinima.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I dunno the answer to that question, but totally unrelated, did you know that a mass grave recently sprung up just down the street from Telltale's HQ? Some kind of mass cult suicide or something I guess

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm normally a fan of Telltale's stuff like The Wolf Among Us, so I think their biggest hindrance with this is the subject matter itself. There's really no way to make a complex story that has any kind of adult appeal or difficulty when you have to base it on a game whose biggest fanbase is either:

1. Small children

2. Autistic teenagers

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
counterpoint: the lego movie

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mr.Kattykat posted:

I completely forgot that you get shot by a skeleton yet when you start combat you have full health. Choices Matter.
You regenerate health on a full stomach.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm normally a fan of Telltale's stuff like The Wolf Among Us, so I think their biggest hindrance with this is the subject matter itself. There's really no way to make a complex story that has any kind of adult appeal or difficulty when you have to base it on a game whose biggest fanbase is either:

1. Small children

2. Autistic teenagers

I mean if they ignored those two groups they totally could, but that would require a.) effort and b.) not making money hand over fist.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Genocyber posted:

I mean if they ignored those two groups they totally could, but that would require a.) effort and b.) not making money hand over fist.

Why would they be ignore those groups when making a minecraft game where you do not play minecraft
Who else wants to hear a story about minecraft

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

darealkooky posted:

counterpoint: the lego movie

That is true. I forgot about that one.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

ayyy lmao

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
These days, based on my experience with Telltale's games, I think the quality is pretty much entirely a factor of who they're working with. The Wolf Among Us was pretty good, if not anywhere near the same standard as Tales From The Borderlands, which was a motherfucking masterpiece. So, maybe don't let the actual Telltale staff be in charge of the writing...

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I haven't seen the Borderlands game, and have no desire to, but Wolf was pretty great in my opinion, because of a combination of an above just OK plot and dialogue with strong art direction.

I guess the lesson is let the Telltale people do their thing and deliver a product, instead of boxing them into using pre-made assets that look like they were designed by a three year old and have no story or lore attached to them.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

man, this thread has inspired me to learn more about Minecraft and its fandom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRdcptG365I

I survived 8 seconds

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

steinrokkan posted:

I haven't seen the Borderlands game, and have no desire to, but Wolf was pretty great in my opinion, because of a combination of an above just OK plot and dialogue with strong art direction.

I guess the lesson is let the Telltale people do their thing and deliver a product, instead of boxing them into using pre-made assets that look like they were designed by a three year old and have no story or lore attached to them.
Borderlands is actually a lot better than the shooters are and the game is pretty good. A lot better. Kaubocks has a pretty good LP of it. The engine definitely shows its age, however.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I enjoyed this game, though I am fully cognizant of the fact that most of my enjoyment was seeing all of the detail they put into the contraptions and world rather than the story being told. Also the meta knowledge nods they put in (even if some of them are outdated.)

Dr. Buttass posted:

These days, based on my experience with Telltale's games, I think the quality is pretty much entirely a factor of who they're working with. The Wolf Among Us was pretty good, if not anywhere near the same standard as Tales From The Borderlands, which was a motherfucking masterpiece. So, maybe don't let the actual Telltale staff be in charge of the writing...

Their source material has generally always had a big hand in the quality of the stuff they put out, especially since they pulled back on doing 'yea olde adventure' style games. Part of this is that they tend to match the target demographic of their source which leads to them tailoring the story they want to tell to that audience.

Considering they cycle their writing staff around a lot (quite a few of their writers on Wolf Among Us were also part of Tales of the Borderlands in addition to The Walking Dead: Season Two :psyduck: ) so to me that means it's less the writing quality that's an issue and more the method on how they go about their storytelling.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Hostile V posted:

Borderlands is actually a lot better than the shooters are and the game is pretty good. A lot better. Kaubocks has a pretty good LP of it. The engine definitely shows its age, however.

Yeah, I agree, and remember this is coming from someone who enjoys the shooters and thinks they're reasonably well-written, all things considered.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Imagine if Notch actually bought 4chen with all his Story Mode money then deleted his twitter anyway.

New episode in a few days.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
this game sucks way harder than i could have imagined, and i imagined it to suck pretty hard

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
RIP Patton Oswalt, may his spirit strangle his wife in heaven.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
New vid soon. I made the mistake of making a Dark Souls video instead of my bound by blood LPs :letsplay:

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Blind Sally posted:

man, this thread has inspired me to learn more about Minecraft and its fandom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRdcptG365I

Minecraft's just the low hanging fruit. There's always something farther down.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Lacedaemonius posted:

Minecraft's just the low hanging fruit. There's always something farther down.

Men slapping each other's tits will never not make me laugh.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

-Minecraft Story Mode Part 3 (w/ memelord CharlestonJew)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk9r3fKDAw0
(if embedded videos are ur thing)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
"he has all the ingredients for a wither and he's going to unleash it on this crowd!"
what? They just said they need THREE skulls for a wither and he had two before we got ours back, why are they acting like there's an immediate threat of a witcher

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

perfect for my minecraft indian burial ground

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

"he has all the ingredients for a wither and he's going to unleash it on this crowd!"
what? They just said they need THREE skulls for a wither and he had two before we got ours back, why are they acting like there's an immediate threat of a witcher

A player with a cool Geralt skin is coming to town, that's all they mean I'm sure

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game is bad and I feel bad for ever thinking about watching that video oh my god. Patton Oswalt why.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

God these characters are so whiny and incapable.
I guess the game is for kids who watch people playing minecraft on youtube instead of the game for themselves, so I guess the characters being that way kind of fits.

Also, the peril of making a story mode based on an inexplicably popular barely finished game: Recently, Lapis was made to actually be valuable, you cannot enchant your tools without it anymore, so that "joke" is ruined.

Recently? The drat game is still being updated? I remember hearing about how development was winding down in loving 2010.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Pollyanna posted:

This game is bad and I feel bad for ever thinking about watching that video oh my god. Patton Oswalt why.

Recently? The drat game is still being updated? I remember hearing about how development was winding down in loving 2010.

2010 is when Minecraft initially came out :confused:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Pollyanna posted:

yeah. hey just added mindblowing things like llamas. also they finally gave enemies attack animations and combat a cooldown bar

Team is basically scrambling to make the code work better and the gameplay features they add are things they think up on lunch breaks, only occasionally doing anything resembling adding reasonable gameplay content. The code base is notoriously lovely.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CJacobs posted:

2010 is when Minecraft initially came out :confused:

You know what I mean :shepface:

Hemingway To Go! posted:

yeah. hey just added mindblowing things like llamas. also they finally gave enemies attack animations and combat a cooldown bar

Team is basically scrambling to make the code work better and the gameplay features they add are things they think up on lunch breaks, only occasionally doing anything resembling adding reasonable gameplay content. The code base is notoriously lovely.

Yikes. I'd hate to be on the Minecraft team.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh gently caress minecraft has llamas now? Uhh, I might have to do a side feature of my own where I actually play minecraft, because llamas own

And yeah the code for Minecraft sucks, to the point where people have developed their own entire modding APIs so that the game itself isn't even touched because of how much like a wobbly house of cards it is

edit: Oh poo poo you can make llamas wear sweet clothes and add chests to their backs so you can use them to cart around a bunch of items

That's a pretty neat way to implement something the game really needed, it's a shame the game is so meh otherwise I'd be pumped about these cool furry friends. Ironically, Minecraft Story Mode existed before these cool llama friends did, so they will never come up in the game. Minecraft Story Mode is like a Minecraft time capsule.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 25, 2016

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Who in the gently caress thought this was a good idea? Did TTG ask the Swedes if they could make it or was it the other way around?

Also if you play as an African American Gentleman do you still get to be voiced by Patton Oswald?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
EDIT: Wrong thread.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: Wrong thread.

I'm sure whatever was posted here originally was better than Minecraft Story Mode.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You sure? It was about Warhammer 40K :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

• Locked thread