Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«26 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Ronnie

He secures the rope around himself. It wasn't quite Italy-style climbing gear, but he had the vent itself to brace against, and at least one Superman-strength soldier helping lower, so he figures it'll work just fine. He steps over the vent, waits a moment as if expecting a countermanding order, then, absent that, starts down.

[10:48] <FractionJackson> !wild d4
[10:48] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d4) with wild die for FractionJackson and got ( 3 11 ) Results: 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Saxemberg Island - ??? Air Filtration
Ambience

With a swift decision made to attempt to enter the base via the ventilation system, S/Sgt. Thomas cinches a length of rope about himself in a makeshift harness before climbing over the edge of the shaft, coordinating with LCpl Manahi to brace his descent. Aided by the sizable New Zealander, Ronnie braces himself much as he is able as boots seek traction against the somewhat slick sides of the shaft's initial depth--precipitation having made its way through the ventilation. Lowering himself, Ronnie is soon plunged into darkness below.

Working the rope at a steady clip, S/Sgt. Thomas establishes a pace as he drops down approximately fifteen feet--at which point the shaft cants at an angle. Lowering himself a further five feet, the man is forced to maneuver to re-position himself as the ventilation levels off for two feet before another precipitous drop. Inch by inch, the man squeezes his way further--finding himself moving on his hands and knees to crawl over a sharp ledge, his light shining down to find another series of twists and bends in the ventilation beyond.

Minutes pass on the surface; Harry continues to feel tension in the rope from Ronnie's weight, intermittent tugs felt as the line feeds through the big man's strong grip; a stiff, biting gale blusters over those gathered, an all too keen reminder of the cold weather--while the light outside begins to dwindle. Off in the distance, dark clouds have begun to coalesce and blot out starlight above; it would seem that a storm is coming to Saxemberg Island in the near future.

Below, Ronnie's nerves are tested in his seclusion from the team; the circulation duct leads him through a tortuous series of shafts which twist and bend--his traversal now more than fifty feet and half of Harry's rope. The silence is broken solely by his own breathing and the shuffle and rustle of gear catching against the shaft's sides; it's a tight squeeze in stretches--and were Ronnie wearing full kit, he'd almost certainly have gotten stuck.

Soon, he catches a rank odor clinging to the air that reminds him of rotting vegetables; with it, Ronnie arrives at a large grating at the culmination of the ventilation duct: what appears to be an air filtration room within the base. Inside, a hanging bulb flickers weakly on for a few glimmering moments before going dark again. After, Ronnie hears a dull clicking from the filtration machinery before it grows quiet again.


Harry braced the rope successfully with a Strength test. Ronnie did swimmingly on his Climbing along the way. All told, he would estimate about 60ft of traversal involved to descend through the ventilation duct, much of it rather unpleasant. It was a tight squeeze in several places, threatening getting the man stuck altogether.

S/Sgt. Thomas has arrived at a large grate to an air filtration room which appears to be deeper in the base's interior. Intermittently, there are signs of brief bouts of power, though it appears to be on the fritz. Getting through the grating itself is not a particularly difficult challenge once Ronnie succeeds a Strength test (which he has).

While the rope can be tied off on the surface if so desired, the island mostly boasts volcanic rock; it's possible it could become shredded by such.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2016 around 19:10

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004


Harry

He ties the rope about his shoulders and waist, fastening the knot in front of his chest, then plays the line down as Ronnie disappears, leaning back against the man's weight and bending his legs slightly as he braces. Finally the line goes slack and Harry announces, "Looks like he's made it to the bottom."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?


Victoire Doucet, Maquisarde Medic

"Zat is a lot of rope gone into ze vent. Pretty long climb." Victoire remarks observing the left over coil.

She had been holding the rope too until moments before when she realized she wasn't actually adding anything, the team's very own Charles Atlas had things under control. Hoping no one had noticed her failed attempts she wandered over to the opening.

"Kind of a tight fit too. I wonder if I would not prefer to go pry open those blast doors." She shudders at the idea of getting stuck in the dark vent during the climb.

(19:52:16) FathisMunk: !wild d4
(19:52:17) ***AchtungBot rolled a (1d4) with wild die for FathisMunk and got ( 1 2 ) Results: 2

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Bradley Hewitt

While he waited on the strike team, Bradley began to look around at the area. Standing out in the open didn't seem like a good idea. The Nazis might spot them and there was the nasty weather. This little rock in the Atlantic didn't provide much, but it might have something to provide a wind break as well as some cover if any Nazis decide to go on patrol.

"Sergeant Barton-Morewood, I think it would be good if we found a wind break or some shelter from the elements for those of us who are just waiting around." Without waiting for approval, Bradley starts to look over the surrounding area. He wasn't sure if he was going to find anything in the immediate area, but he figured it was worth attempting.

After a couple minutes he realized the best shelter would probably be down the first shaft the group explored.

"Hey," He says to the soldiers. "Is the area under the hatch safe? If its safe, then I think we should send some people down to get out of the weather."

AchtungBot rolled a (1d4-2) with wild die for Docbubonic_away and got ( -1 6 ) Results: 6

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2016 around 20:50

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Ronnie

It was a long way down.

The nice thing was that it got him out of the cold even so. But it was a long way down, and not easy to navigate. The tight fit wasn't even the worst of it either - the vents were winding to the point that Ronnie briefly thought that without the rope he'd have a hell of a time finding the right pattern to get back out.

The grate at the end is easy, at least. It gives way in the wake of a satisfying kick. First blood. Ronnie 1, Cheap Nazi Grate 0. Even the good ol' abandoned warehouse stench isn't enough to kill Ronnie's happiness at being able to stretch his legs at the bottom. Dropping into a crouch, he lets the little flashlight do the work, and examines the room, listening carefully and scanning methodically to be sure that the coast is clear before he tugs on the rope.

[13:59] <FractionJackson> !wild d6 notice
[13:59] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d6) with wild die for FractionJackson and got ( 3 5 ) Results: 5

[14:11] <FractionJackson> !wild d8+1 stealth
[14:11] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d8+1) with wild die for FractionJackson and got ( 4 9 ) Results: 9

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2016 around 21:11

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Saxemberg Island - ??? Base - Air Filtration
Ambience

A decisive kick sends the grate popping free from the ventilation shaft, clattering against a concrete floor as flecks of rust and dust are dislodged. Maneuvering smoothly free from the cramped vent, S/Sgt. Thomas adjusts his posture and flashlight--finding himself in somewhat cramped quarters even now. Beyond the shaft to the surface is what is now clearly the air filtration room for the base--and while Ronnie is now able to stand, the room is crammed front to back with several large turbines designed to draw clear air into the facility.

Presently the turbines are dormant, leaving the air inside fetid and stale--but nevertheless breathable at the moment. Overhead, several sets of grated vents seem to sit to carry clean air throughout the rest of the facility. As Ronnie lingers for a moment, the service light above flickers weakly on in a few faint spasms of illumination, soft shadows dancing and wavering about the crevices among the turbines; he can hear further dull clicks within the filtration system itself before all falls silent--and dark--once more.

While the turbines are inactive, Ronnie finds the way to the room's entrance manageable with a bit of sideways squeezing to maneuver. With only the light affixed to his vest, illumination proves to be something of a challenge--and twice Ronnie's gear and garments catch against equipment, a pant leg snagging and a strap getting caught before he dislodges himself fully. Once clear at the opposite end of the chamber, he finds a steel hatch--a standard bulkhead door with a wheel mechanism in its center, presently closed. Even without electricity, Ronnie is confident he could operate the door with a few hearty turns of the wheel.


Ronnie has managed to make his way inside the base from another approach than the hatch and blast doors; apart from the intermittent and unpredictable flicker of power every now and then, it's pitch black here. Additionally, the air smells stale, but is breathable. There is a standard bulkhead door Ronnie can operate if he desires; currently there is no sound in the area, nor is anything heard through the door upon inspection.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Ronnie

It's pretty clear after a moment's examination that there isn't really enough space for the whole group to just huddle in the turbine room. That being said, there at least appears to be an obvious way out, and if there's any luck there still might be another exit nearby. So, the only thing for it is to - quietly as he can manage - turn the wheel and have a look beyond, as far as he can get without running into the end of his rope - or running into sentries.

Still, even as he does so, Ronnie can't quite help but think that this is perhaps one of the least intelligent things he has ever done in his years on Earth...

animedragonfly
Sep 12, 2016


Sebastian

Sebastian could not seem to stop the shivering and his fingers were starting to numb some "Bradly chap.. fingers are starting to get numb.. if I don't get out of this wet clothing soon i don't know if i will be any use" He didn't want to complain and sound weak but he figured he would let the one in charge know.

He tried rubbing his hands together and blowing on them as he paced back and forth doing anything he could to keep the blood flowing. He walked over towards the shaft looking down it then stepped away .. he didn't know if he could make it down there with how cold he was already but if that was the only way to warm up then that was what he would need to do

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Bradley Hewitt

"Everyone who went down came back. That should make it safe enough for a while." Bradley reached for his back pack. "O.K. head down and I can give you a dry pair of socks and my parka. I'll get by with this cloak."

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Saxemberg Island - ??? Base - Air Filtration
Ambience

S/Sgt. Thomas advances on the bulkhead door and squares off, gripping the wheel and giving it a turn; shielded from the elements as it is, there is thankfully little sign of corrosion--and though it takes a small measure of muscle, the mechanism shifts with purpose readily. After several taut turns Ronnie feels the door unlatch, drawing aside heavily with a light creak of heavy metal hinges. Beyond, a concrete corridor stretches more than thirty feet before taking a hard right out of sight. Intermittent lights are set along the span of the corridor--flickering on for a few sporadic moments of pale yellow illumination before guttering off, sending the hall back to darkness.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Ronnie

Satisfied that the coast is at least clear in the most imminent sense, Ronnie tugs on the rope once, to signal that he is down and it is clear. While he's not horribly keen on having the others go down this way, he also doesn't really want to leave them in the proverbial dark, either. For that matter, it would also be nice to have clear evidence that he is not the only living thing inside the entire facility.

After signaling, he starts to creep down the corridor, to at least get a peek around the corner...untying himself temporarily as he does so. Assuming it really is all clear, it'll be simple to fall back, help anchor the line, and send at least another couple down...

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2016 around 22:20

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010
I liked it--it was witty enough and a lot more impressive than I was expecting for a girl's toy cartoon. So I thought, "Hmm. I'm on Something Awful. I don't see a thread for this anywhere, but other people might like it--it's not like it would be the first cartoon for kids that SA's taken a shine to." So I made a real earnest thread and put it up in TV/IV. And I was both right and wrong, because the forum blew up and fell over, and the thread got raided to shit by FYAD, and in like I think two weeks the show was banned outright because people kept causing fucking drama.


Starshiy Leytenant Irakliy Kuznetsov

Irakliy takes one look at the vent, gauges the odds of making it down with all of his gear, radio included, and opts to wait for the main door. Standing around doesn't seem much worthwhile, however, and he finds himself staring at the clouds... and then something in his brain clicks. Storm means waves, right?

Quickly, he turns back to the group. "Commander, I think that storm will threaten our boats. Going to go help Dimitry, get them further up from water." He gives a look over at Victoire as he does--an offer to do something rather than just stand around.

Just a thought, probably won't require much rolling. But anyone who wants can come with me to help. After that, probably just going to go help group 2 get settled in the antechamber.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Saxemberg Island - ??? Base - Workshops
Ambience

S/Sgt. Thomas advances untethers himself after sending his signal before proceeding down the concrete corridor; midway down the passage the lights which line it flicker briefly again, that dull clicking heard whence he came--before returning to darkness as before, leaving only the man's flashlight to sweep. After thirty five feet, Ronnie rounds the corner and finds another steel door similar to the last; working the bulkhead as easily as before, the man makes his way past--presented with an enormous open space beyond.

Ahead, the span exceeds the capacity of Ronnie's flashlight--but his ears prick to the distant sound of water, acoustics carrying in such a way that he can tell a great cavern extends among the darkness further before him. To either side of the man stretches a broad series of workshops and workstations for the repair and maintenance of equipment and machinery. Most appear bare at a glance, though a few seem to sport larger bench tools as well as a smattering of electrical and mechanical components.


Faint dripping sounds can be heard; the air is rank with rotten vegetable matter, salty seawater and other unidentifiable odors.

The workshops extend more than thirty feet to either side of Ronnie, as well as ahead of him. There is an immense open space beyond the workshops, which he reasonable expects are underground docks.

GaistHeidegger fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2016 around 22:46

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."


Sgt. Willis

He was, frankly, happy enough to not be needed. He'd been able to see that both of those blast doors would take a chunk of his explosives to open- he could blast both down and give them an entrance, but he'd be pretty light on his charges after that if they found something else that was a priority target. Leaving and finding other alternatives made sense to Tim. While the other American explores on his own, he nods to the Russian. "Sir, I'll help," he says quietly. No sense just standing around letting the grass grow under his feet, and it should be simple enough and something that needed doing.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Saxemberg Island - Eastern Shore
Ambience

Lt. Kuznetsov and Sgt. Willis double-time their way back around the known pathway before proceeding to the eastern shore. By the time the pair arrive, those dark clouds above have all but blotted out the moon and starlight--leaving even the gentler approach from the north that much more treacherous. Below, Sgt. Vasilievich struggles to control the LCRS craft as currents swirl about his calves, cursing up a storm as the storm front itself begins to lurch over the island's periphery.

Hastening out into the waters, both men manage to avoid losing their footing against slimy, slippery stones and shifting sands beneath their boots. Ted strides with purpose in time to capture the LCRS beyond Dimitry's grasp before Irakliy arrives to help with the first; together, the three men are able to haul the rubber landing craft further still along the shore. It is evident, however, that the tide is rising now as the waters grow that much more tubulent: to launch these craft into the waves now would all but guarantee being dashed against jagged volcanic rock and lost beneath icy, churning depths.


Impressive rolls after a timely arrival by Lt. Kuznetsov and Sgt. Willis. Hitting with a raise, Sgt. Willis saves the second LCRS before it is swept out to sea.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."


Sgt. Willis

A little cold water spray never hurt anyone, and all he needed to do was wade out up to knee height, maybe a few inches deeper. Weren't gonna get hypothermia just from that, and so it was easy to lasso the academics' boat before it left their island and drag it a few yards higher onto the glassy beach. "Sir," he says after considering, "We are not leaving this island until the storm dies down, whether or not our mission finishes before then. I am sure that HQ knows the weather, but I think it'd be a good time to check in once sergeant Thomas comes back up the shaft. Let's get into the dry and I'll double-check that the radio's still working."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010
I liked it--it was witty enough and a lot more impressive than I was expecting for a girl's toy cartoon. So I thought, "Hmm. I'm on Something Awful. I don't see a thread for this anywhere, but other people might like it--it's not like it would be the first cartoon for kids that SA's taken a shine to." So I made a real earnest thread and put it up in TV/IV. And I was both right and wrong, because the forum blew up and fell over, and the thread got raided to shit by FYAD, and in like I think two weeks the show was banned outright because people kept causing fucking drama.


Starshiy Leytenant Irakliy Kuznetsov

Irakliy nods, helping Sgt. Vasilevich up across the rocks. "Agreed. We have at least..." He chews on his words for a moment. "Ach, predvaritel'nyy, first look at base. Should satisfy command we didn't die on approach."

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Grace

Gráinne hugs herself to suppress a shiver. "Good idea, sir. I'll climb down after the two of you," she answers Agent Hewitt with an enthusiasm mostly depleted by the frigid air.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Saxemberg Island - Northern Mantle
Ambience

Venturing back along the foot trail to the northern mantle, Bradley and the others return to the niche where the hatch had been discovered--though it now takes a bit of searching to zero in on it in the diminished light. Grace, Sebastian and Yulia are joined by Victoire, seeking to avoid the restrictive confines of the ventilation shaft. Once present, as the men and women begin to descend the latter after a cursory all-clear by Victoire, the gathering is soon joined by Irakliy and Ted returning from the eastern shore.

With a rumble of distant thunder and a brief flash of lightning from out at sea, frigid rain begins to fall. Using the niche as limited cover from the elements as cold winds buffet the officer and engineer, Irakliy attempts to summon a signal over the radio to report-in--but receives only crackling static in reply for his efforts, the device yielding little to the man.

Back at the ventilation shaft's exterior egress, Harry, Dicky and Izoldah begin to get soaked.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Ronnie

He wants to curse. Of course so much of it would be underground. And it quickly becomes obvious there's way too much ground to cover with as far as the cavern goes back. If it really is abandoned he could be wandering for hours or even a couple days without finding a better way to let everyone in. And given that he doesn't hear anyone coming down behind him, it doesn't seem they're too keen on following this way. Not that they could blame any of them.

Still, there had to be a path back up towards the surface from somewhere. Otherwise, what did that other hatch even connect to? Building a fake entrance to deter would-be snoopers for a secret base a good few hundred miles from the next dry land doesn't strike Ronnie as very likely.

He moves up a little further, keeping to the sides of the cavern, looking for any sort of side corridor that seems like it might lead upwards and outwards. If there's no other obvious way, he might have to backtrack and ask to get hauled up so that he can report...but he doesn't want to have to do that without having found a better way in. One last little look. That's all.

[17:01] <FractionJackson> !wild d6 notice
[17:01] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d6) with wild die for FractionJackson and got ( 4 2 ) Results: 4
[17:04] <FractionJackson> !wild d8+1 stealth
[17:04] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d8+1) with wild die for FractionJackson and got ( 6 3 ) Results: 6

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at Oct 1, 2016 around 00:04

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."


Sgt. Willis

Seeing the Russian's face as he works the radio, Tim steps in. "Sir, allow me-" before getting out his toolkit and shielding the set from the elements with his body as he levers open the set and begins poking around. After a minute or so, he closes things back up. "The radio is working. Storm may be ruining reception." He offers, stowing his tools in the repair kit with meticulous care.

20:00 Mukaikubo !wild d8
20:00 AchtungBot rolled a (1d8) with wild die for Mukaikubo and got ( 5 9 ) Results: 9

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010
I liked it--it was witty enough and a lot more impressive than I was expecting for a girl's toy cartoon. So I thought, "Hmm. I'm on Something Awful. I don't see a thread for this anywhere, but other people might like it--it's not like it would be the first cartoon for kids that SA's taken a shine to." So I made a real earnest thread and put it up in TV/IV. And I was both right and wrong, because the forum blew up and fell over, and the thread got raided to shit by FYAD, and in like I think two weeks the show was banned outright because people kept causing fucking drama.


Starshiy Leytenant Irakliy Kuznetsov

Irakliy sighs, giving the set a soft thump before powering it down. "Yes. Just one more thing to add to the list, I suppose." He steps over to the safety-equipment locker they'd already raided and places the set inside, just for the sake of getting it off his back. "I will keep trying, until the door opens."

animedragonfly
Sep 12, 2016


Sebastian

He was happy to be inside the dark sheltered alcove when the rain started. He took the parka and the extra socks from Bradley. His wet socks were taken off and replaced with the dry ones and then he wrapped up in that parka. He found himself a place to crouch down next to one of the walls pulling his knees up against his chest trying to get himself warm..

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Saxemberg Island - ??? Base - ???
Ambience

After long consideration, S/Sgt. Thomas begins to carefully creep along as he follows the wall of the workshop along his left flank. Treading some thirty feet, he reaches a corner and turns to the right and continuing to follow along--stepping over assorted mechanical leavings before proceeding for another thirty feet. By now, the man can smell salt water clearly on the air when he reaches a corner, flashlight catching fleeting glints of large, dark objects up ahead in the gloom. Distantly, muffled thunder only faintly reaches the man's ears.

Rounding the corner, it is quickly evident to Ronnie that he is traveling against a back wall of underground docks--yet the scale of the concrete is positively enormous by contrast to such facilities he had entered in the past. As Ronnie moves through the dark, he finds himself passing a huge gantry further off to his flank in the dark cavern--and in the periphery spies a collection of broken crates littering the concrete platform.

After fifteen feet, the wall to his left is interrupted by a concrete corridor--the entrance to which bears the track for an enormous blast door currently raised and out of the way.

The stench of rotting vegetables is getting worse.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Grace

She gazes over the green call box to the blast doors with portholes. "Hmm." Grace walks towards the sealed ingress then vainly tries to peer through its armoured glass.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Saxemberg Island - ??? Base - Northern Entrance

Making her way over to the blast door, Grace strains to peer through the porthole. Pitch blackness awaits her on the other side, the span imperceptible and impenetrable--until very faintly she catches glimpse of light briefly flashing at the far end of what appears to be a corridor some twenty feet long.


Razeam> !wild d6
* AchtungBot rolled a (1d6) with wild die for Razeam and got ( 3 11 ) Results: 11

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Grace

"Over here!" she blurts out a futile attempt to modulate her voice's volume. Grace breathes in to collect herself and then whispers, "A light. I saw a light through the glass."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Ronnie

For a brief second, S. Sgt. Thomas had actually thought about turning back, given the dawning realization of how big the base must actually be. But no, there's a corridor after all. He exhales sharply, examining the track along the threshold for a moment. A blast door like that - it'd make sense to have outer doors and ones further in as well, multiple lines of defense. Thinking about these things also helps take his mind of the smell, which, while he was not unused to less-pleasant olfactory experiences, was still pretty drat horrible.

So, light and rifle in hand, he elects to follow the new corridor and see what is what.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Saxemberg Island - ??? Base - ???
Ambience

Turning left down the corridor, S/Sgt. Thomas makes his way approximately ten feet before reaching another blast door to his right, also raised--before a twenty foot long corridor leads to yet another blast door. It is through this latter blast door's portholes that the man can see a face peering through the glass. Panels are visible for controlling the door, but present appear to be without power.

Saxemberg Island - ??? Base - Northern Entrance

After a lingering moment, the light becomes more intense as it flares up and points directly at Grace through the glass. Shortly after, S/Sgt. Thomas is visible to her on the other side of the blast door.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Yulia

She'd dropped to her haunches and taken out her journal, using the relative shelter of the passage to begin sketching out the shape and topography of the island as much as she could tell. A line for scale, the dimensions. A mark for the hatch, for the ventilation point, the cliffs, the beach landing point. At Grace's excitement, the doctor stands but not too quickly. As she watches her face, Yulia sighs, "It is the American, isn't it." She folds up her journal and tucks away the stylus.

Soberly, she approaches the blast door porthole to join the Englishwoman, marveling at the Yankee separated by armored glass. "Should we join him?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Ronnie

The original blast door from before was what S/Sgt. Thomas had hoped to see, and indeed it is. It gives him a rough estimate of the size of that part of the facility, and confirms that his sense of direction isn't utterly shot.

He makes a cursory examination of the dead controls, curses silently. Stepping up to the glass, he mouths the words, wanting to avoid any sound carrying too far: "Power out. Won't open. Area seems clear." He holds up a fist to emphasize, points back towards where the shaft was, then points down several times. "Send a couple more down."

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Yulia

It's hard to keep from being amused by the American's animated emoting through the blast door. There's a long pause of non-reaction, and finally she cracks a smile and nods. Turning back to the rest of the auxiliary, Khulanova raises a hand, "I will go."

Not finding fascists around the corner has eased some of the tension for her - plumbing abandoned sites is more familiar to her than raiding bases, but the difference is finer than one might think, once you find no one there. So she climbs back topside with more ease than she might have earlier, into the brisk south Atlantic evening and begins to follow the trek they'd made to the ventillation shaft. Kuznetsov gets a nod and she turns to Harry and the others, "The American has made a circle - he is at the blast doors. I believe, if I understand him, he wants assistance opening the doors."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."


Sgt. Willis

After rescuing the boat, he'd returned to the vent intake not minding the weather just yet and feeling like Harry needed to have someone with him. When Yulia delivers the news he nods. "I think that is my cue. We need to keep a few soldiers up here, at least. I'll go down, if you don't object, sergeant?" He looks at their mustachioed leader, gathering his tools and making ready to go join the other American.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010
I liked it--it was witty enough and a lot more impressive than I was expecting for a girl's toy cartoon. So I thought, "Hmm. I'm on Something Awful. I don't see a thread for this anywhere, but other people might like it--it's not like it would be the first cartoon for kids that SA's taken a shine to." So I made a real earnest thread and put it up in TV/IV. And I was both right and wrong, because the forum blew up and fell over, and the thread got raided to shit by FYAD, and in like I think two weeks the show was banned outright because people kept causing fucking drama.


Starshiy Leytenant Irakliy Kuznetsov

Irakliy gives the radio one last tune, and then sets the receiver down. "Da. I will go. The radio can stay up here, maybe a signal will come eventually."

He gathers his equipment, and braces for going back out into the rain.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Ronnie

With his message delivered - even if it took place slightly more in mime than he would usually prefer - Sgt. Thomas retraces his steps back to the turbine room. There, he posts up, keeping an ear and an eye out for anyone arriving from the base proper while being ready to help whoever comes down next get their bearings once out of the vent.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~


Grace

She wordlessly offers a few nods and smiles during the earlier exchange. "Was our Intel outdated?" Grace musingly mutters while keeping her vantage point near the porthole.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006



Yulia

Looking from Kuznetsov to Willis and back, the doctor lifts her chin up, "I have mapped the island we've seen - I will come." She has had her fill of standing about, and the prospect of seeing more of the facility is enticing - and if nothing else, she does at least read German.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Bradley Hewitt

He stayed down in the first discovered entrance. For the time being it was safe and kept them out of the weather. If everyone had to go through the air shaft, so be it. Until that becomes necessary staying where they were made sense.

"Miss Grace, I do not think the Nazis could have abandoned this base without us knowing about it. I think an answer to our mysteries lie further in the base."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"


Saxemberg Island - ??? Base - Air Filtration
Ambience

After rendezvous with Harry, Dicky and Victoire--the trio having taken modest shelter from the elements as the rain fell unabated--Sgt. Willis and Lt. Kuznetsov are accompanied by Dr. Khulanova arrive, ready to descend. As Ronnie had discovered before them, one by one the new arrivals begin to squeeze their way down the tightly angled and twisted path to the air filtration room.

Along the descent, Ted's gear requires some momentary pauses and adjustments intermittently to maneuver past particularly sharp shifts. S/Sgt. Thomas is waiting for the trio in the filtration room itself below, his flashlight offering a lead as each nears the bottom of the shaft's tortuous descent. That same reek of decaying vegetable matter greets each new arrival as well.

Irakliy is the first to emerge from the base of the shaft, followed by Yulia ducking deftly free--before Ted emerges last, his arrival marked by the flicker of the light overhead, a dull clicking heard from the ventilation turbines for a few moments before it all cuts out again. In that lingering span, Ted recognizes the timing sounds from the turbines suggesting the base's power facilities were still partly operable--but possibly were presently loaded beyond capacity in their current state.

Saxemberg Island - ??? Base - Workshops

Once the four have gathered and squeezed their way precariously past the heavy turbines, a return to the workshop space finds Lt. Kuznetsov, Dr. Khulanova and Sgt. Willis faced with that sizable spread of workstations Ronnie had perused earlier. Ted and Irakliy both recognize a number of the large bench tools and parts electrical and mechanical in nature.

Among the lot, Ted and Irakliy both recognizes a set of oxy-acetylene cutting equipment arrayed by one of the workstations.

The stench of rotted vegetable matter is strong on the air.


Irakliy, Ted and Yulia each navigate their way down the ventilation shaft to the base's interior, though Ted burned a benny in the process for a re-roll. After arrival, between Smarts and Notice from fresh perspectives some new discoveries were made.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«26 »