Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

The representatives of the Soviet Union Armed Forces were of one mind on the matter of sea-faring.

Boats and being on boats was not humanity's natural state. And the great sacrifice of their comrades in the Soviet navy should be all the more appreciated. For Izoldah, who was oh so proud of being oh so well acquainted with the terrain, being like a, hah, fish out of water was just about a worse sensation than the sea sickness. It was also, far, far too warm for her liking. Oh, she hoped the war to be over soon, and she could return to her village near the Urals and just leave a nice, peaceful and calm life. Well, the fascists were on their last legs anyway. Maybe this would be the final blow, right?

She looked at the others. A Red Army Lieutenant, she'd carefully saluted in case he was very strict on these things, and some others. Honestly, the Englishman who led them was almost walking caricature with his moustache, but if he was here, he was supposedly competent. Or at least hopefully. Regardless, they were all comrades against the fascists now, and political discussion interested her as much as deep see diving. More surprised was she with the presence of a non-soviet fighting woman. A French one. There hadn't been much time time to talk, but she wondered what story that might have been.

Then, there was the contents of the other boat. Something she really worried about. A bunch of soft city-folk, many of which non-military. Smart folks apparently, but honestly. Whatever ancient stolen art piece or artifact found there couldn't be that important they'd have to bring these people along. Shouldn't they be staying somewhere in their fancy cities waiting for fighting men to bring it to them? She respected their courage and all, she just worried they were going to slow them down something fierce. She figured perhaps there were some disputes about who was going to get these artifacts after the nazis were dead, and these people were there to keep track of what was found and keep careful notes.

Hah. There's the clear show fascism was dead. The vultures had stopped circling and came down to eat their meal. Well, she did not begrudge them any of their fancy things. As they approached their goal, she looked through her binoculars at the far island, keeping a good eye on it. It was time for the mission now. Another game of hide and seek with the fascists. No sniper support this time though, but this might be a bad place for it anyway. She climbed down the ladder, taking a position near the front so she could keep a good eye on their destination. She gave a wry grin at Irakliy. "Not quite as secure a place as a T34, eh, Comrade Leytenant? Hope we'll have good solid rock under our feet soon." She said in light-hearted Russian. If the guy was going to be very stiff about 'respecting rank' best fight out early.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at Sep 28, 2016 around 22:34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

Izoldah tried to follow the conversation the Americans had, figuring it was a good time to practice her English a bit. "I joined up just in time for killing fascists that were trying to send folk to Stalingrad. All men had gone to war, and I said. Fascists will kill women just as much as men. And I can track fascist as good as any man in my village. Was not at any big name battles though. Just walking after fascists all the way from Stalingrad back to Poland. But always made sure we knew where fascists were. I am... what is the word? Scout. I tell the men with the big guns were to shoot. They get all the medals, but ah, that is life." She nodded at the talk of specialities. "So I am good at seeing things. I am good at not getting seen. Good scout doesn't need to fire shot. I have become very good scout. Maybe not as good shot." She smiled wryly. "One of you maybe sniper? Maybe I make sure someone else gets medal again?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

"Hah, I agree, Victoire."" The name somewhat bungled as the Russian woman did not speak French at all. "I don't think the city boys should try this one." Even as the discussion happened, once it was clear they were not immediately under any threat, she lowered her gaze to the poo poo covered ground. "Let's see if the fascists frequent one of these paths." Keeping low she eyed the ground carefully, wanting to get it done quickly before the boots of her comrades would spoil any traces. Could be good to know if they could expect patrols on the routes.

<Shogeton> !wild d8+2
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d8+2) with wild die for Shogeton and got (9 4 ) Results: 9

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

"And that is why smoking is bad for health." She said quietly, with a smile. "Bad news. This beach not so private. Germans come here sometimes. Not for fun I think, so there is likely patrols. Came by easy path. Clearly no taste for rock climbing. Maybe German city boy." She grinned, then looked at the difficult path. "Hm, I know climbs like these back home. You have climbs that are good challenge for someone who does not climb. You have dangerous ones. This is dangerous ones. If you're not trained, better not do it. But I could, if you like me and someone else keeping watch from up there."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

"As you say, comrade sergeant. I'll move ahead a bit. If you see me come back and make this signal" Hah, well, if the Brit was going to call her 'my lady' she was going to call him 'comrade', that was only fair. She gestured with her hand. "Please stop and be quiet. I signal how many nazis come down and we prepare for ambush."

And then she moved. And it was like coming home in a way. After all the time on the ship, and on the little dinghy, she was very much like a fish out of water, but right now, right here, this was her home. Oh, it was entirely different than the Urals, but even if the cards were different, the game was the same. Keep to shadows. Be aware of where your feet are. Be aware of all the angles. Keep your body supple and relaxed and your motion constant, without sudden stops and jolts. The wind was her ally, muffling sound and blowing away from her. And in case the fascists had guard dogs, her smell would be hidden from them as well.

Calmly but steadily, as if she was just doing a training run she made her way up, seeing desolate black ground, jagged rocks to slice at the flesh of the unwary. The wind bit at her face, but she had gotten far worse in the past. A spectre is haunting Saxemberg Island.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

No fascists. Which was good. Unlike some of the others, she wasn't out for a body count. And the longer things were absolutely quiet, the better. That's when she came on her discovery. Very, very nice. But also, not osmething she should be trying to open without some back up. There might very well be guards around. Making sure there were no guards approaching down the path, she descended, smothering the urge to hurry and without a word, beckoned the 'first boat' closer, leading them towards that entrance. Her job was to find it, what needed to be done with it afterwards was the leader's task.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah

Izoldah held back as the place was revealed by the frankly ridiculous feat of strength, keeping her eye on the path ahead in case someone was going to come in. The place clearly hadn't been opened in a long time. Could be an emergency exit. But the facists
s usually weren't the type to let something just waste away like that. Could just be where they'd stocked something up? Well, clearly, they'd find out. The Lt. lighting up a smoke drew her attention. Moving next to him, she kept her voice low and her words Russian. She didn't want to embarrass him, but if there was one habit that was just lethal to moving unseen, it was smoking. It left tracks, the light could be seen, it could be smelled. "Sergeant, do you think smoking now is wise?" she asked briefly. "It might give us away at the worst time." She figured a tank commander wasn't usually the one with stealth on his mind. And they probably couldn't smoke in their tanks, so 'on foot' probably meant 'smoking time' to them.

She took position to the back of the group. Her rifle wasn't likely to be of help in hallways like that. So she switched to holding her pistol in her right hand, and the flashlight in her left. No sneaking around like that, but at least she'd be able to get a good look at things.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at Sep 30, 2016 around 03:41

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah

"I don't think this is going to get us into their base." Izoldah said. "But it doesn't seem like it'll let them attack us in the back either. Perhaps we look at this after we finish taking care of the fascists." The scout offered.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah

"Perhaps they were keeping some stolen riches here. And fascist soldiers think they should be rich instead of generals?"

quick phonepost

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah

Izoldah had mostly kept quiet as she traveled with them. She felt out of her element again. The discussion between Victoire and Richard was not given a comment on. It wasn't the first one a conversation like this had happened, and it wouldn't be the last. Then, she considers something and addresses their leader, Richard . "Sir, if fascist we shot at ran away, he could have run to armoury and try to take guns to fight us. Maybe we should go there and secure weapons?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah

Izoldah was a lot more concerned about the armory than looking at the markers, but talking back to officers was probably not the best plan, after the earlier tension. For now, she figured she should just take position in the hallway, and kept a close eye on that door, and the hallway coming from the other side. She hated indoors combat, but at least with the hallway, she'd have something of a line of fire if some fascist tried to make a move.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

"Moving, comrade sergeant. Quiet as mouse. Lethal as bear" she said, holding her rifle.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

Any trace of levity is soon gone from Izoldah's face as things go from eerie to outright brutal. The ever increasing stench cloyed in her nostrils. This looked very much like a trap. Signalling the others to hold, she switches to her sidearm, leaving the other hand free to discreetly go for the flashlight. She didn't turn it on yet, not wanting to give away their new position quite yet, even if the enemy was alerted, but she peered in the darkness of that vent, hoping to see something there.

<Shogeton> !wild d6+2
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d6+2) with wild die for Shogeton and got ( 99 3 ) Results: 9

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

There's some whispered Russian cursing as the corpse suddenly vanishes up the vent. The obvious, reasonable and no doubt in her mind true explanation were immediately said, and she nodded. "Yes. They use their buddy as a trap. Lure us in and shoot us when we check." She whispered. Because she whispered, they couldn't hear the tremor in her voice.

The angle had been wrong to see anything in the vent. But clearly, that was what it was. It had to be.

<Shogeton> !wild d6-2
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d6-2) with wild die for Shogeton and got ( 1 3 ) Results: 3


Technicaly that should be a -3, with the inherent penalty. I assumed this is something supernatural that triggers the Doubting Thomas extra -2? If it does I fail (and since I need a natural 6 on that reroll, I'll save my bennies) If not, I pass it.[/i]

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

Moments after this, there was the sound of bullets fired by the others. "There's others there." She reached to put her pack down. "I could go have look. Unless we go and meet up with others?" He looked at the American Sergeant, pistol and flashlight at the ready. Coudln't say she was looking forward to this, but it was the job.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

With some help from the sergeant, she got up there. She couldn't deny she was a fair bit nervous as she clambered up there. If there were others there, she couldn't really retreat easily. Well, she had a gun, a knife, and if it got really bad, a grenade to make a sudden exit from the vent. Holding her breath, she scanned the contents of the vent, her finger on the trigger of her pistol.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

"Ugh, filthy." she curses in Russian, then peers around, hearing nothing. Well, nothing until she hears more sounds of battle in a distance. She recovers the shred of cloth. Then hurriedly gets out of the vent. She was not claustrophobic, but being stuck alone in there without a clear exit was just a really bad idea in general.

"They'r a fair distance away right now already. They're pretty fast." She gathered her pack. "Especially carrying a corpse." Ronnie was given a look. "The others sound like they need help, comrade Sergeant, we should go to them." She said, already facing the direction they'd come from.

I'm thinking Loyal might start coming into play, considering the trouble the other group seems to be in?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

"Njet... Njet... Njet...." Izoldah just shook her head as she stood, feeling herhands shake. This was not something that could be. Her mind searched, struggled to find explanations, but found nothing. That... mass of flesh and faces. She had to get away from it. Couldn't let it get to her. She raised her rifle, finding her hands shaking.

Don't look what it is. Just imagine it's a target. Like you're shooting at a target in training. This is probably... hallucinations. Yes. The air was a bit foul wasn't it? Fascists just poisoned you a bit. Just think of it as a target, and shoot at it. When you look at it through a scope, all you see is some unpleasant coloured mass, and you're not distracted by that hallucination. It's just a target.

Her hands steadied as she pulled the trigger. Another shot finding purchase on the cre... target.

<Shogeton> !wild d4-2
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d4-2) with wild die for Shogeton and got (-1 21 ) Results: 21

@AchtungBot rolled a (1d8) for Shogeton and got ( 6 ) Total: 6
<Shogeton> !sw 1d8
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d8) for Shogeton and got ( 3 ) Total: 3
<Shogeton> !sw 1d6
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d6) for Shogeton and got ( 5 ) Total: 5

Shogeton fucked around with this message at Oct 6, 2016 around 21:48

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

The shot hit, and she looked at her rifle as she made sure to get the next shot ready properlY. It was just a hallucination. Maybe she was even just shooting at thin air. Just try your best, and it'll all be fine, it'll all be fine, it'll all be fine. "Just a hallucination." She murmured, only to look up to see one of those tendrils smack her, sending her to the floor.

She got up, holding the rifle in front of her defensively as she scrabbled backwards, trying not to look as that tendril struck at the place where she just was. "Just a hallucination, just a hallucination, just a hallucination." She said, as she got out of the line of fire.

I get hit, but only get shaken, on my turn, I fail to get unshaken, spend a bennie to unshake, and then parry to move awya iwht a +2 to Parry. Hit free attack misses. All this before the shots in round two.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

The smell assaulted her sense, and Izoldah felt the taste of bile in her mouth and her stomach churning. For a few brief seconds she swallowed, trying to hold her breakfast down, but then she leaned forward, the wet sound of her breakfast hitting the floor sounding through the place. Though even the pile of vomit was nothing in disgust compared to was the...

No. What she was seeing. They'd been poisoned. Clearly hallucinating. This was not a thing that existed. Of course, the vomiting probably matched it as well. She saw as Harry and Vic occupied themselves with it, then remembered where they'd been going to. "We need to find the others. Now." She said, wiping her mouth, and holding her gun. "There could be more attackers from the vents. We need to get to them." She peered fearfully at the vents, thinking she could hear more sounds from inside of them. It were all just hallucinations of course. And the poison was what made her heartrate spike when she looked at that dark hole.

Of course, then the other group showed up. "Are you alright? We should put gasmasks on. They are using some kind of poison on us that makes us see things."

Did not make the vigor roll

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

"They probably... hid things here and there. To make us think of things like that. Get us tense. Play with memory. I don't know how those things work. But more likely than... than whatever we thought we saw. Maybe some poor tormented victims that look horrified. We let smart scientists figure out. Get health check when back on boat. No such thing as demons so must be good rational explanation." She nodded, firmly convincing herself as she spoke. "Yes, they hang one corpse out and drag it off. We all start thinking and imagining stuff with gas going on. How do we even know we all see the same? They just need make something that'll look a bit like that, get minds to think like thing and bam, we all thing we saw same thing."

She shrugged. "Just what I think. You think what you want comrade sergeant. But whatever it is, I think we should go to power room. Block the vents, and lock the door If it goes dark here, we will have lots of trouble."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

"Right, right. We get going, all gather. Kill other one, and we all have people come here with gas masks on to make sure. Drink lots of wodka too." Izoldah said, feeling like she was getting a grip on everything. And then one of those heads started moving again. Moments later stopped in a permanent matter by Harry. "J... just hallucinations." She said, clenching her rifle, looking up at the vent, resisting the urge to close her eyes and shut out everything she was seeing.

"We need to go, we need to go. We need to get to the power generator. I don't want us to be in the dark here. We'll start seeing even weirder things in the dark." Her face was going ashen.


<Shogeton> !wild d6-2
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d6-2) with wild die for Shogeton and got ( 29 3 ) Results: 3
Does not even include the -2 from doubting Thomas, so taking a fatigue point

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

"Cigarettes. They leave traces. Ashes, smell, butts, a spark of flame." She was very much looking away from that thing.Focusing on other things. Trying to regain her cool, trying to undo the death grip she had on her Mossin. Her gaze was just at the vent. Something else, bigger. No, no it made sense. Hallucinations. Everyone would see it differently. "Comrade lieutenant, can you move? Considering our enemy does not use guns, it would be well served with cutting the electricity. We should secure the power generator."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

Izoldah noded, that all making sense. "Right, right, heavily armoured. I figured that fascist took a lot of bullets to go down." She looked at her rifle, then to the others. "Alright, it is time to make confession. I think I make lucky shot. I am scout. I usually try to be quiet and not noticed. Since loud bang and flash of light and fascists falling dead is not good for not being noticed, I not shoot very often. If someone think they good shot, I'm okay with switching weapons for bit."

"But I think we should secure power before we go to armory. Strong guns don't help if we can't see the enemy."

Shogeton fucked around with this message at Oct 7, 2016 around 19:34

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

"Dmitriy? poo poo! He's on his own! We gotta find him too after this." Izoldah said, moving along with the group. As Sgt. Willis spoke, she nodded, holding out her rifle. "This gun seems to hurt it. But I'm better at spotting than shooting. You want to trade for bit? Never got to use American gun before."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

If there is anything that the Eastern Front told her, is that you never leave supplies behind if you can help it. Not caring too much about who would actually wield it, she quickly grabs the other flamethrower, not bothering to strap it in or make it ready for use right now, just making sure it's being brought along. "Coming!" She calls out, moving to take the volatile weapon out of the command wing as quickly as she dared.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

As they rush outside, she hears the pounding in the walls, and has to stiffle a nervous chuckle. Hallucinations. Just noises, just unreal noises. The flamethrower was tied to her back, but she still carried the rifle. It had proven effective against the creature crazed fascists.

Then, the thumping became a tearing sound, and she turned around, having just gotten out of the door. Things were trying to grab at Vik. She'd let herself drop to the ground, aided by the weight of the flamethrower she was carrying. Once again, through the scope, all things seemed to make a lot more sense. There was just a target, and no need to think about what it was exactly, or what it meant. Just 'on target or 'off target'.

And she was on target.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov
3 bennies left

"Just a hallucination, just a hallucination." Izoldah was absolutely frozen, in a fugue like state as she just stared in nothing, the gun still held ready to fire. It was the explosion of the grenade that jolted her out of her paralasys. As the flamethrower she carried was handled, she once again looked through the gun and fired a shot, hitting in that massive mass of flesh without too much success. She woudln't move as long as the flamethrower she carried was ahndled. She sure hoped the heavy door would hold the figment of her imagination.

Hahah... holding the figment of her imagination. That was funny. She couldn't help to let out a slightly hysterical sounding chuckle.

Unshaking:
<Shogeton> !wild d6
* AchtungBot rolled a (1d6) with wild die for Shogeton and got ( 5 4 ) Results: 5
Shooting::
<Shogeton> !wild d4
* AchtungBot rolled a (1d4) with wild die for Shogeton and got ( 2 4 ) Results: 4
Damage:
<Shogeton> !sw 2d8+1
* AchtungBot rolled a (2d8+1) for Shogeton and got ( 4 3 ) Total: 8

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov
3 Bennies left

Once the door is closed and the creature is gone, Izoldah shivered as she got up, leaving the flamethrower where she was. Her whole body jittered, and she found herself constantly looking at the emptiness of the vent above them, half expecting another monster to come out of it. She cursed herself. She'd gone out on her own many times. Where one dog sniffing her out, when fascist seeing her footsteps would have been her doom, with her fighting skill just changing how many fascists she might take down with her. And she'd done just fine. She'd faced the depravities of the fascists as the Red Army had advanced on them. She'd seen the results of the siege of Stalingrad. She was a Red army soldier. She shouldn't be sitting here shivering and clutching her rifle while the others seemed cool as cucumber. 'she's from a little village. Cannot deal with all the things in the wide world' So she got up, her face still white as a sheet, still shivering a bit.

"I am not injured." She forced herself into standing at attention and nodded. "i'm ready to help fire fighting, or join the others in the power room." She tried to keep a veneer of calm,, but her lip was twitching a bit.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov
3 Bennies left

Izoldah jumped as if stung at that. "Of course, Comrade Lieutenant. I volunteer to go look for him. But as you say, perhaps best not alone." The thought of their fellow on his own in this place gave her a new jolt of energy.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov
3 Bennies left

The scout had very little time for looking for books, and only on order did she go through with the full searches, figuring they were looking for Dimitry, not more nazi books, new or old. She was walking beside Victoria, when the woman suddenly seemed to get an idea, and started running, following close behind. "What... you think... oh, you think he's using theb ig gun. poo poo... he might hallucinate too."

<Shogeton> !wild d6+2 notice
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d6+2) with wild die for Shogeton and got ( 7 4 ) Results: 7

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov
3 Bennies left

Izoldah noticed the handprints, and started to get very nervous. "Dimitry." She called out in Russian. "Dimitry, it's alright. It's all going to be okay. It's us. We've secured the base. We get to go away from this place. Say something!"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov
3 Bennies left

"Dimitry. It's Izoldah. Look, we can all go home. We were all hallucinating. You won't get in trouble for running away. I'll ask the lieutenant to leave some things out of the report." She said, knowing he might be nervous about getting shot for cowardice or something.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov
3 Bennies left

Izoldah looked at the door too, mindful that Dimitry might have laid a trap to deal with people coming after him. "Dimitry. We're coming in. You're injured. You need help. The Leytenant is here with us, it's going to be okay. They were just hallucinations!"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov
1 Bennies left

Izoldah cursed in Russian as Dimitry was attacked by a nazi. He was injured, but clearly maddened. She'd seen a fair amount of people that looked like they should be dead that kept going on determination and stubbornness. "DIMITRY!" She shouted, the scout charging forward, ramming her shoulder into the Nazi, forcing his hands loose from their companion's throat, glaring up at him with a determined face. They were ALL coming back from this alive! It lashed back at her with its bare hands, but while those scratches were painful, but nothing but a superficial scratch.

"Die, fascist scum!" She said, smashing the butt of the rifle straight into the soldier's throat, sending him stumbling back.


Sprit test-1
<Shogeton> !wild d6-1
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d6-1) with wild die for Shogeton and got ( 4 3 ) Results: 4
Fighting Test to free Dimitry:
<Shogeton> !wild d4 fighting
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d4) with wild die for Shogeton and got ( 5 5 ) Results: 5
Opposed Str check VS 4 Spent two bennies to get
<~Gaist> THREE IS COMPANY
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d6) with wild die for Shogeton and got ( 5 2 ) Results: 5

Second Round
Rifle Butt attack
<Shogeton> !wild d4
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d4) with wild die for Shogeton and got ( 11 3 ) Results: 11
<Shogeton> !sw 3d6
* @AchtungBot rolled a (3d6) for Shogeton and got ( 3 1 5 ) Total: 9
Shaking it and moving out of melee range.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov
1 Bennies left

"Lots of things to scare us. But in the end, bullets take care of things eh? We found a bottle of fancy drink too. Maybe we can enjoy that afterwards, if it's allowed. I think we all earned a drink, leytenant?" Izoldah helps supporting Dimitry and helping him out of the sub.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov
1 Bennies left

When Izoldah left the base and was out in the open, it was as if her body was a bound spring that could finally uncoil. She took deep breaths of clean air. Not the stale and hallucinogenic containing rot from down in that base. The smell of rotting fish was even welcomed. As foreboding and depressing as the island had looked when they had arrived, now it looked positively like a flowered filled meadow in her eyes. She stuck with Dimitry until she was sure he was alright. She'd also make a case to Starshiy Leytenant Irakliy Kuznetsov to try to make sure Dimitry would not come across as cowardly in the reports. She'd been in the Red Army long enough that an accusation of cowardice could be a death sentence.

There was also some time to think about what had happened. Clearly a lot of the things she had seen could not be. If they could not be, they weren't. It was that simple. And it all started when they went in a place where the fascists had good control over what was in the air. By accident or design there were some hallucinations. All of them saw mosnters, but could they really be sure they all saw the same monster? Or that they wouldn't influence each other's hallucinations and memories just by describing it to each other. A lot of the others seemed to be too eager to believe it though. She allowed herself a wry grin. City folk. Always like to look down on 'superstitious' people in the little towns, but they were the ones who was Baba Yaga in every moving shadow when out in the wilds at night.

Still, if she stressed it too much, she might make the others look unstable, or cause a rift. So she figured she'd keep those thoughts to herself. All in all, the mission was a success. One of the last rat's nests of the nazis got cleaned out. She figured the one that had gotten away might have run off to South America or something. There was that map in Antarctica, but she was skeptical about the fascists' ability to get anything done there. There whole country was falling apart, even these top secret bases, and they were gonna be able to keep a base there? She figured if they had a base there, it probably had run out of supplies months ago. If there had ever been a base there, probably just a bunch of starved corpses to mop up.

Her thought turn to the civilians and all the books that were apparently really important considering their excitement. She grinned wryly at that. Probably could be sold for quite some wealth, especially for the ones from the capitalist countries. Though maybe some would be claimed for the Soviet Union as well? Honestly, getting this base was in all likelihood more about getting all these fancy books for eager collectors rather than any military strategic objective. But hey, she was a good soldier and went where she was needed. And it was a good sign that the Fasicst Reich was dead if its spoils were already being divided up. Only spoils she hoped to get from it were a few drinks from that Cognac. (After maybe getting someone to test it for poison)

When the team to replace them came, she was eager to leave the little island behind her The way back was calm. Even the seasickness didn't seem to bother her that much anymore. She figured she'd vomited about all she could down in that base. She prepared her report, wanting to commit all memories before they started to get vaguer, and once that's done even managed to get a little bit of shut-eye on the way there.

...

Izoldah was no stranger to briefings. She was a scout after all. Giving detailed reports was part of her job.. She tried to give objective measures about size and weight, rather than just subjective impressions. She also added as much details as were possible, if they sounded like they might be the slightest bit relevant. She did not know the whole picture and she knew how much minute details could sometimes tell you. Depending on how detail oriented the people debriefing were, they might now and then have urged her to 'get to the good parts'. While she was happy about all her allies, she didn't really try to make them seem extra heroic or stress how much they deserved appreciation. Sometimes she figured if she'd stress her own actions a bit more, maybe she'd have gotten promotions, but bragging is for city-folk. Only Dimitry got some mentions about how he managed to get them safely on the island despite very rough weather.

She did very much stress the lack of working ventilation (to keep a gas in) and the smell of rotting vegetables (to hide the smell of any gas) without talking about the gas itself. And when the time came to give her description, she interrupted herself by prefacing it with the admission that she considered her testimony possibly under weird influences, and that she had no history of any delusions or sightings. She did not want to end up in an asylum. But with those prefaces, she described the horrors she had seen as accurately as her mind could take, though her matter of fact, objective tone suffered, that terror seeping into her voice, especially about how it lurked in the vent. Her story briefly derails when she describes how the hands of the first creatures had tried to grasp and grab her, and how she'd manage to scramble away. The fact that Victoria with her shotgun and medical skills was invaluable was mentioned. As were Harry's daring charges up close to the creature.

The second fight was not any more pleasant than the first. The story seemed absurd, insane while explaining it to very serious military officers, but she took her debriefing duties seriously. Her brief moment of freezing in panic was confessed. She could not really assume that nobody of her compatriots wouldn't mention it, and nothing bad had come of it, and being caught leaving out things seemed worse than just admitting a brief moment of weakness. Particularly since all had ended well. The following search was also described, ending with the fight aboard the submarine. She tried to make it sound more like her assisting Dimitry in the fight, rather than her beleaguered comrade needing rescue, making sure to mention he'd been planting his own knife in the maddened fascist, and likely helped kill him.

Her remarks on the technical aspects or the occult findings pretty much consisted of admitting her own lack of expertise on the matters, and saying that people seemed really excited about some of the findings.

Gonna give the OOC props to Victoria, since she managed some nice kill shots, kept us healed, and focused on the important matters of killing nazis.

As to the Spirit roll, I threw my last bennie on it.

<Shogeton> !wild d6+2
* @AchtungBot rolled a (1d6+2) with wild die for Shogeton and got ( 9 11 ) Results: 11 One short of healing 3 points, but still healing two points.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

Izoldah has felt a bit cooped up. There was an island with wilderness, but the Brits weren't too keen on letting her explore it at her leisure. So she'd rested, and talked poo poo with the others of their group, exchanging stories about evading fascists and messing with them. Her request of the bottle of brandy had been approved, so she'd invited all the others, even the bookish types to join for a celebratory drink, figuring it was well earned loot. It had been good, even if it was annoying to drink with little sips. She'd done her best 'rich capitalist' impressions in her rudimentary English, but didn't really discuss politics.

Of course, there had been the nightmares. And the fact that she couldn't help but avoiding any of the vents in the base, always remembering those... visions. (They were not real.) The offer of the chaplain was rebuffed. She was a rational soviet citizen, and a few visions weren't going to get her to go to a priest. But as it turns out, one of their companions was versed in psychology. The fact that she was a Brit was actually of help. She wasn't going to give away anything sensitive to the Soviet Union, but, well, you never know if you accidentally say something that casts suspicion on you.

So she'd paid some visits to her. She talked about Saxemberg Isle. About her conviction that it wasn't real. Or at least for the most part wasn't. About how she considered people who go and see all kind of ghosts in the wilds being foolish and easily intimidated people, and she'd always sworn she'd say away from it. She talked about the war, about how she'd joined up out of duty, and when the war is done very much hoped to go back to her village in the Ural, become a hunter, maybe mary Yuri at the mine who she'd always fancied. About the things she had seen as the nazis were chased back. Stalingrad, burned villages, and the evidence of the organized massive butchery in the camps. About how she couldn't deny that every fascist deserved the bullet they got, but how she wasn't that eager to wreck up a body count. How she'd seen some comrades who embraced it and relished their kills changed. She couldn't judge them evil, but she wouldn't want someone who had relished killing so much living next to her children. And how she wanted children once. And how she was a bit worried about Victoria in that respect, but how could she talk to her about that? She had an easy talk, with her family safely miles from the front lines.

The hours got pretty filled, but all of it did help Izoldah. So when that meeting was called, she felt as good as she had done all those weeks ago before the mission. "is Comrade s... I mean... is Sergeant Barton-Morewood leading again?" asked with curiosity, carefully making sure not to suggest displeasure with it. He'd gotten everyone out alive, hadn't he?

Since I started out at 4 Dementia Taking the time to rest, passed 2 of 3 of the tests I made, and had two shrink rolls heal me of 1 dementia too, getting Izoldah back on her feet sanity wise. For my advances, going to take Drive d4 for my first one (Izoldah learning how to drive dogsleds) and Antarctic Trained (prepping for it, and being somewhat used to cold environment from cold Russian winters)

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

Izoldah chuckled. "Hah, and here I thought. I have dealt with Russian winters. Now I go south and things will be warmer. Won't get as cold as I did back then." She grinned. "Well, good thing you have me. I should make sure you do not get your toes or other important bits freezing off. Boys remember to button up properly above and below." She grinned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Izoldah Rostov

Izoldah snorted as she listened. "Oh, I think I will keep that secret, yes. This whole mission, I think, will be very large embarrassment to a lot of very important people, and they will be very angry if I talk about the time they sent all these troops to go hunt for Baba-Yaga." She sighed. "Even if we believe what we saw in that base, even if we say Germans have some kind of... weird monsters they can make. Because of that we now believe bunch of city folk who got stranded in Antarctica and went crazy and are talking baout ancient monsters and alien cities?" She raised a hand. "I'll take cup of coffee. I'm starting to think a few important people on German side went bit crazy. Maybe even Hitler self. And because we assume important people are smart people and can't be crazy, everyone's going along in the craziness" She took a sip of coffee. "Well, I would not worry about aliens too much. Fascists and cold are things that will kill us if we'e not careful."

She looked at Yulia. "You see? This is example. We get papers from important city person, about what other city person says happened. And suddenly, everyone is 'oh no, it must be true'. If that paper said fascists use werewolves, or vampires, or werewolf vampires, would we all be looking for stakes and silver bullets?"

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«2 »