Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Starshiy Leytenant Irakliy Kuznetsov

After sixteen hours, Irakliy could confirm one thing he'd learned today.

He HATED boats.

Trains, he loved. Airplanes he admired, although long flying was something more to be tolerated. But if every ship in the world were to sink at the same time tomorrow, Irakliy felt, right now, that he would shed no tears. Certainly his drat stomach would rejoice.

It hadn't been hard to guess why he'd been wrenched off the Hungarian front and sent south on three planes and this hell-ship. What was still stumping him, as the lurching of the boat mercifully wound down, was why it had been HIM. There were clearly no tanks involved in this operation, and there had been other... experienced men who might have been more suited. So why him?

Second guessing SMERSH is like reading patterns in snowdrifts, his own voice chided him inside his head, and he straightened up, looking around the cabin for the first time since the first bit of chop had hit. Taking in faces, trying to lock them into his memory. He had spotted a few fellow Soviets in the initial briefing, but not many. Uniforms he didn't recognize... and quite a few people not in uniforms. Awful lot of civilians here. And of course, now the black togs obscured everything.

A call came from above, and he rose, a little shakily, grabbing up his Sten from where it had come to rest on the floor. Coming up top, the air was bracingly cold, thick with sea-smell, and as far around as he could see there was absolutely nothing but black ocean.

Save one. Off in the distance he could see an inconsistency, a spot of blackness that didn't reflect the moonlight back. That had to be it. But they were still far away from it, he realized as he was directed to the railing--and realized there was a ladder attached.

He peered down, spying the flimsy-looking rubber boat at the bottom, and looked up at the sailor with a dismayed expression. "You joke." He knew it wasn't, though, and resignedly climbed down, settling into a seat on boat 1. "What on Earth have I gotten into here..."

I think I'm the one carrying the radio, incidentally. Certainly I have the Communications skill for it.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy looked up at the woman, whose name he couldn't--Rostov. Like the city. Right. She'd been treating him almost like a commissar since they'd met, though in fairness, he hadn't exactly been TALKING much to dissuade the notion. He smiled weakly at her. "Sooner the better."

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 28, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Kuznetsov looks up at the big American, offering him a nod. "Thank you. I believe I can handle it, but I will not turn down help." He takes the moment to go over his pack, double-checking the radio--an unfamiliar make, but similar enough--and making sure everything on his harness was able to be reached easily.

He pulls out his cigarettes, and almost gets one into his mouth before looking back up at the darkened ship and thinking twice about it. After a moment's grumbling, he resettles the pack and tries to focus on anything that isn't the ocean.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

When the rubber boat scrapes onto the beach, Irakliy scrambles out, helping to haul it up but more for the sake of getting back onto solid ground.

It takes a moment, but eventually he straightens up, rising to his full height for the first time since Edinburgh of the Seas. "Ahh." A quick shake-out, resettling his pack, readying the Sten gun. Finally, he feels like a proper Soviet again.

Life returned, he directs his attention back to the mission and Izoldah's discoveries. "Well, Comrade Rostov, I am certainly not climbing cliffs with this beast!" He unlimbers the radio pack with a quiet chuckle, turning his attention to the Englishman with the walrus mustache as he warms it up. "We can be in contact with Atlantic Isle at any time, commander. Your call."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

"Bozhemoi. Remind me not to get on your bad side." Irakliy fishes out his cigarettes and, right next to them, his lighter. After taking a moment to light a smoke, he holds the lighter up, scanning around inside the recess for a switch or, possibly, some lanterns or hand-lights.

[17:29] <Redeye> !wild d8
[17:29] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d8) with wild die for Redeye and got ( 14 4 ) Results: 14
[17:29] <Redeye> Well holy poo poo
[17:29] <Gaist> hahaha

Irakliy grins around his cigarette as the lighter illuminates a cabinet labeled Sicherheitsausrüstung. Prising it open, he finds just what he was looking for--four of the boxy German flashlights. Keeping one for himself, he passes one to Izoldah and the other two to the group, to pass out as needed. "I vote we use these until we make sure there's no-one at the bottom. Then we can turn on wall-lights and bring down other boat."

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 29, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Shogeton posted:

Izoldah
The Lt. lighting up a smoke drew her attention. Moving next to him, she kept her voice low and her words Russian. She didn't want to embarrass him, but if there was one habit that was just lethal to moving unseen, it was smoking. It left tracks, the light could be seen, it could be smelled. "Sergeant, do you think smoking now is wise?" she asked briefly. "It might give us away at the worst time."

Irakliy offers a shrug, about to suggest that the flashlights and bootprints would be more likely to give them away--

quote:

pressed against the log wall, and suddenly the sound of it sniffing, smelling for blood and hot breath and

He blanches, and has to force himself to not wrench the cigarette out of his mouth. As the rest of the crew starts down the ladder, he looks down at it sadly. "I suppose."

He still waits at the top, dragging on it as long as he can before he follows the rest of the group down.

= = =

Irakliy climbs off the ladder and sighs, watching the crew move about. "Of course there is second door. Is not enough to have base on mystery island or behind just one hatch. Damned Nazis."

He walks over to the call box, stepping well around Harry's patch on the way to make sure he doesn't disturb anything and keeping his voice low. "Well, it appears I was wrong. Everything appears remotely triggered... not that a dead line will even let us bluff our way in." He takes a peek at the call box, anyway, to see what he can see.

[00:25] <Redeye> God knows if it'll do anything to a dead box but I'm going to roll K:Comm
[00:26] <Redeye> !wild d6
[00:26] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d6) with wild die for Redeye and got ( 2 4 ) Results: 4

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 30, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy takes one look at the vent, gauges the odds of making it down with all of his gear, radio included, and opts to wait for the main door. Standing around doesn't seem much worthwhile, however, and he finds himself staring at the clouds... and then something in his brain clicks. Storm means waves, right?

Quickly, he turns back to the group. "Commander, I think that storm will threaten our boats. Going to go help Dimitry, get them further up from water." He gives a look over at Victoire as he does--an offer to do something rather than just stand around.

Just a thought, probably won't require much rolling. But anyone who wants can come with me to help. After that, probably just going to go help group 2 get settled in the antechamber.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy nods, helping Sgt. Vasilevich up across the rocks. "Agreed. We have at least..." He chews on his words for a moment. "Ach, predvaritel'nyy, first look at base. Should satisfy command we didn't die on approach."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy sighs, giving the set a soft thump before powering it down. "Yes. Just one more thing to add to the list, I suppose." He steps over to the safety-equipment locker they'd already raided and places the set inside, just for the sake of getting it off his back. "I will keep trying, until the door opens."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy gives the radio one last tune, and then sets the receiver down. "Da. I will go. The radio can stay up here, maybe a signal will come eventually."

He gathers his equipment, and braces for going back out into the rain.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy claps Ronnie on the shoulder as the group emerges from the vents, speaking low. "So far, so good--aha! Cutter." He nods as Willis commandeers the gear. "Now we have more options if we want to save explosives. Or not risk cave-in."

He does, however, screw up his nose. "Ach. Any idea what is causing stench?"

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakly's eye involuntarily twitches as they open the blast door. "Ullch." He shakes his head. "A bad one." He pulls out a cigarette, not lighting it yet--though he'd really rather for the sake of his nose--simply flipping it between fingers as he steps just inside the door and slumps into a lean against the wall next to it.

He muses on the question. "I think... for sake of everyone it would be best if we could get power running. If there are stragglers we will face them better with all of us instead of just four of us, and we have to do something about this damnable smell." A pause. "Well. Smells, now." He puts the unlit cigarette in his mouth and squats down, staring emptily at the grotesque scene in the corner. "Kakova vasha istoriya, vy Bednyaga..."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

"That is problem, though." Irakliy gestures with his cigarette at the scene in the corner. "Is different smell. Meat. We have been smelling ammoniy, like Pripyat, marsh. Something else is causing greater stink."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy nods, rising to his feet and walking over to the machinery. "Understood."

Contributed to that roll. Lights, on!

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

When the smell finally doesn't go away, Irakliy decides "to hell with it", and lights the drat cigarette. After taking a good, long drag, he walks out of the power room, heading back towards the entrance--and spots Barton-Moorewood, coming down and looking properly soaked. "Ah, commander. Apologies for delay." He gestures around with one hand. "Welcome to Smell Zone. Still not sure what is causing stink." He fills him in on the expedition to the power room and the discoveries there.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 2, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Kuznetsov nods, taking the radio back over and leading the commander in the direction of what Dr. Khulanova had indicated was the command wing. He takes his cigarette out in two fingers, gesturing at the docks with it as they walk through them. "Never have I seen the like of this. To build space this size, yes, but sixty feet underground? In middle of nowhere ocean?" He takes another drag. "Ah, it would even stump my old fabrikant. I cannot say Nazis lack ambition. Or skilled architects."

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 1, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy frowns as they open the door into the Command Center, boots brushing through the ashes as he walks inside. "Well. So much for sudden evacuation theory. This is about as destroyed as you can get without caving in ceiling." He eyeballs the Enigma machine for a moment, before proceeding towards the radio room. "Hopefully whole base is not in such state. We could certainly use radio right now."

Almost unconsciously, one hand swings his Sten around to readiness on his strap as the other reaches for the doorknob...

Proceeding to the radio room.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

There's a brief moment of panic and dismay in Irakliy's mind as the door swings open, revealing the ruined console--and it is quickly replaced with relief when he finds the rest of the room intact. Peculiar... even for a situation as peculiar as the one he was in.

The tanker starts inspecting the machinery--how in God's name did they keep something like this hidden from a listening post that could hear South America? The inspection turns into a slow realization of thrill as he realizes that while the Germans have powered the machines down and destroyed their logs, the preset bands are still present. He can figure out what bands this Nazi station was using--

quote:

MOVEMENT

He freezes. Slowly his eyes slide over, to the vent, and do their best not to meet the eyes peering out from the darkness. Slowly, smoothly, he takes the cigarette out of his mouth, stubs it out in an ashtray perched on the radioman's desk, and straightens up, swinging around to face the vent, one hand bringing up the unfamiliar Sten. The flashlight strapped to his chest comes around, shining partly into the opening in the wall.

Irakliy never took proper German, but there are a few phrases that every Russian armyman knows these days. And one, at least, that he's memorized. He raises his voice to make sure they can hear him in the other room--as calm and level as he can make it.

"Ergeben Sie und Sie werden nicht geschädigt werden."

Surrender, and you will not be harmed.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 2, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy freezes for a crucial, painful moment. Then he lunges at the grate, attempting to get a closer look at... whatever it was, before it vanishes.

It proves futile. The adrenaline promptly decides to leave his system and the tanker collapses to his knees, clutching at the grate and the radio desk for support.

He looks up. "Nyet. On ne--" He catches himself, and lets go of the vent. "No. Just... eyes. In ventilation shaft. I called for surrender and it ran off."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

A Velociraptor! posted:

Richard 'Dicky' Barton-Morewood

He lets the French woman leave the room without another word. He'd said all he needed to. His eyes are turned to the radio equipment instead, but he still looks back every second or two to the ventilation shaft. "What can you make of this equipment, Comrade Kuznetsov? Sgt Willis? Anything left undamaged we can use?"

Irakliy hauls himself up from the floor, settling into the radio operator's chair and spinning it around to the consoles. "There is much good news here. Our Jerry friends forgot to flush the... ach, the radio history channels, before... whatever happened. I can determine what chastota they were using."

He gestures at the demolished console--it's the same two-fingered gesture he favors, just without a cigarette in it. "Whole set is unnerving. Very powerful. Very slozhnyy." He pauses. "It is like, fancy. Complex. But so close to British listening post, and undetected? I cannot figure out how. However, this is peculiar. Only to destroy one set of consoles? And so thoroughly? Very deliberate, but I cannot think of why."

He shrugs, and stretches his hands out. "However, whether set can be used... let us see."

[11:13] <RedeyeF> !wild d8 Smarts
[11:13] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d8) with wild die for RedeyeF and got ( 19 4 ) Results: 19
[11:14] <RedeyeF> Uh
[11:14] <RedeyeF> Well

So, uh, holy poo poo. I'm going to contact Atlantic Isle and give them an update on everything we've run across so far.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 2, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy's eyes can't help but bog as Sgt. Willis hefts the 88mm shell out from behind the console. Once it's been set safely aside, he claps the man firmly on the shoulder. "Bol'shoye spasibo. I owe you a very, very large drink."

Shaking his head slightly at almost dying to such an elementary trap, he sets to work at the consoles, and is shortly glaring frustratedly at what remains of the antenna attachment. "I was wondering how we could have missed antenna of such size. Now I know. Antenna is probably resting on seabed now." He finishes writing down his notes in a notebook, in the almost-illegible cursive Cyrillic. "Well, blasted Nazis could not hide all their secrets. I have discovered more hidden frequencies. Sadly, I think this is all radio room has to offer us."

He makes sure to lock the door behind him as he leaves, in the form of manhandling the hulk of one of the filing cabinets in front of it. "Well. Map room next, I think."

[16:52] <Gaist> Also no offense Redeye but putting a burned out filing cabinet in front of the Radio room is not really locking it
[16:52] <Gaist> But Irakliy can believe that for his own reassurance
[16:52] <Redeye> Have you tried to move one of those things?
[16:52] <Redeye> poo poo heavy
[16:52] <Mukaikubo> gahaha
[16:52] <FathisMunk> should have made a str check then
[16:52] <FathisMunk> :v:
[16:52] <Redeye> Speaking as a man who has moved house in the last few months
[16:52] <Redeye> !wild d4
[16:52] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d4) with wild die for Redeye and got ( 3 4 ) Results: 4

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 2, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

[17:00] <Redeye> !wild d8 Notice
[17:00] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d8) with wild die for Redeye and got ( 4 22 ) Results: 22
[17:00] <Redeye> WELL
[17:00] <FathisMunk> wow
[17:00] <FathisMunk> WOW

Irakliy walks in, boots crunching through splinters and brushing aside paper. He walks forward, leaning on the table and slowly scanning around the room.

Idly, his thumb moves, and he feels the table under it. At a thought, he brushes his hand over the rest of the map--and feels a return. He looks up, catching Victoire's eye. "Hoi." He taps at one point on the Antarctic coast, where the surface is pitted. "This part of map has been altered more than any other. Something is here." He continues moving his hand, and stops, looking. "And... this mark. It shows up repeatedly, and dug deep into table. Something is here that they do not expect to move."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy steps back from the armory control panel and drops into a crouch against the wall, leveling his Sten. Not going to be caught off guard a third time.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy just nods over his soldier, keeping his gun trained on the excruciating door. There may not be any vents in the drat thing, but he's not taking any chances. "Understood. Sukin syn, why would you put weapons behind slowest door in history of world?"

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy rises from his crouch, moving towards the door--and a rifle shot rings out. His head snaps around. "Chyort." A moment's pause. "Only one. They may have met our guest."

He shakes his head, as if to clear it, then nods to the commander. "First things first. Checking armory." He walks over to the door and ducks underneath, Sten raised.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 5, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

So the cupboard was bare all along, Irakliy thinks, finally manhandling the vast door open. What had once been an arsenal fit to stock a company was now pretty much gone. He scans the racks, frowning, trying to figure out a pattern in what remains...

[22:54] <Redeye> I'm looking for patterns or irregularities in how this side of the vault has been cleaned out and/or what's left
[22:54] <Redeye> !wild d8 notice
[22:54] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d8) with wild die for Redeye and got ( 5 9 ) Results: 9
[22:54] <Redeye> Like, what did this side contain primarily based on what's still here, and what's the best guess on what's been taken

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy tries to speed back down from the vault, and just about manages to get there in time to see Barton-Moorewood firing into the ceiling inside the map room. He ducks his head inside, trying to get a glimpse of... whatever's up there, and wishes he hadn't.

At the commander's call, he looks up and nods. "Yes. Unharmed. So there's... more than one in there? And not interested in surrendering." He gestures back out the door. "Armory is almost empty. Most guns and all explosives are gone--though I did only check one door in there." He re-readies his Sten. "No time to waste, then."

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 5, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Kuznetsov wracks his brain as they pass out of the command wing and back into the docks. He turns to Sgt. Vasilievich, catching Dicky in the corner of his eye. "Serzhant. When we reach power room bulkhead, you open door." He mimes with his hands. "Door opens outwards, will stay between you and whatever is inside. Myself and commander will cover you and fire on fascisti." He looks over at Barton-Morewood. "Acceptable, sir?"

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Kuznetsov levels his Sten at the door, watching as Dimitry approaches it--

Faces behind the glass. Several faces, horrified-- FACE--

Irakliy's jaw falls open, and his eyes gog. "Chto yebesh?!" He takes a step backwards, voice rising shrilly. "CHTO YEBESH?!' ETO PIZDETS!" Dimitry clips him as he runs past, screaming, and he staggers backwards, half-toppling into a stack of crates that thankfully keeps him upright. "Eto nepravil'no!"

Something in his brain takes control, and screams at his arms to rise or die. They do so, and the Sten comes to bear at the glass. Anyone next to him can hear the magazine rattling just slightly from shaking. "Gov'no! What IS it?"

[01:55] <RedeyeF> !wild d8-2
[01:55] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d8-2) with wild die for RedeyeF and got ( 4 1 ) Results: 4
[01:55] <RedeyeF> JUST BARELY.

So yeah, Irakliy's still with us, but that was close. I really do not want to fail a San check with Shell Shocked on the table, which makes it all the more likely to happen! :D

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 6, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Of course it knows how to take out the loving lights. It couldn't just be huge and wrong, it had to be smart, too. Irakliy pries himself off the crates as the door begins to wheeze open. "BACK! BACK! Out into docks, we need room, we need light!" He looks around--and sees Sebastian, frozen up. "Sukin syn--"

The door wheezes open. Irakliy throws himself in front of the academic and lets off a burst from the chattering Sten. The bullets spray wildly in the tight space.

Nothing hits.

[14:53] * AchtungBot rolled a (3d6) for Redeye and got ( 1 5 4 ) Total: 10
[14:54] * AchtungBot rolled a (1d6) for Redeye and got ( 4 ) Total: 4
[14:54] <Redeye> Fuckin' piss

WELP. Once this is done I'm moving out into the docks area with the rest of the group, but for now I'm in here, I just missed ALL the shots, and Bigguns is in melee range.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

PAIN.

The barbed whip smashes into Irakliy's right side, tearing through the soft fat of his outer abdomen and shredding his togs and combat webbing. The tanker spins around, dropping to the floor--the Sten gun goes flying out the bulkhead into the docks area.

tripped, and as he rolls over the thing is upon him and he sees flashing teeth and then

Irakliy draws in a high, screeching breath. Something feels very wrong in the wound. He starts elbow-crawling, the other arm reaching down to his waist and pulling off a canteen there--one of two. He splashes a shake onto his side, takes a drink, and then works his way forward.

Get out. Light. Space. Find the gun. Do not die. DO NOT DIE. THEY CANNOT SEE YOU DIE.

Irakliy is using all available movement to get out into the docks and find some cover.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy lets the doctor haul him to his feet. He half-turns, drawing his revolver and snapping off a shot at the creature. It goes wide, and he grimaces. "Chyort!"

He turns back to her, eyes serious. "I have... ow. A plan. We cannot let that thing live, but our guns cannot kill it. We need better weaponry. We have to get back to the armory and hope there is something better in there." He gives her a very serious look. "I need your help, comrade."

He turns away, south, taking a massive drink from his flask before replacing it on his belt. Suddenly his voice is loud and strong, if slow. "I need one... volunteer! We are going to armory! We are going to find... biggest gun in base! And we are going to blow this loving thing's heads off!"

He starts off south, at an astonishing pace for someone who just had most of his side torn off.

[17:53] <Gaist> What's all this now?
[17:53] <FathisMunk> also I am wondering about running dice exploding, because that could get hilariously dumb form time to time
[17:53] <FathisMunk> his running die
[17:54] <Gaist> Oh
[17:54] <FathisMunk> 10
[17:54] * AchtungBot rolled 10 for FathisMunk and got 10
[17:54] <Gaist> Do note, your pace is reduced by your wounds also
[17:54] <Gaist> So your pace went from 6 to 4

Chat mechanics got a bit hosed, but roll of 10 on moving at 4 pace. Going south to the armory. I will probably need help.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 7, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

Yulia

"A bigger gun? Are you..." She looks agog. Maybe to a soldier 'get bigger gun' makes sense, but to her, it seems folly. She stomps a foot but then relents, her heart following them before her head can have her mouth deliver a dissenting word.

Every step is pain. He ignores it as best he can, trying to bind his side up with what remained of his combat webbing. It was strangely not bleeding--something in that monster is a powerful coagulant, he thinks. Makes sense if it is mostly jelly. The alternatives were better left unthought about.

He looks over at Yulia, and it's clear to see that she's not convinced. He turns back partly as they reach the corner into the command wing. "Our choices now are to leave or kill these things, and we cannot kill them with pistols and submachine guns. If we leave, we have to hope they don't find us until the storm dies down enough for us to get back to the... submarine." He turns the word over in his mouth, and then raises his voice. "COMMANDER MOOREWOOD! CAN YOU SEE IF SUBMARINE HAS DECK GUN?"

He, on the other hand, keeps stumping towards the armory. Getting to a deck gun would involve climbing. He's not doing any climbing any time soon.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy staggers up just in time to watch Harry skewer the head to the floor, still thinking about the armory but in the end deciding that he can't really argue with Dicky's logic. "Ah. Good. This is good, they can... ach."

He takes the canteen off his belt and looks at it, sadly. Taking one last swig, he then upends the rest of his pilfered British rum over the top of the head. Dropping to his knees, he then sets the canteen back on his belt, pulls out his lighter, and snaps it against the floor.

As the alcohol catches, Irakliy climbs back to his feet with some help from whoever's nearby, and watches, slowly opening and closing the lighter with one hand.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy doesn't speak French, but he can get the gist of the message well enough, and he nods, lighting the cigarette. "Da." It helps take the edge off the renewed pain in his side, anyway. He looks down at what's left of north group's... thing. "This is... smaller than one we fought." He looks back up, around at Ronnie, at Izoldah clearly barely holding it together, at the strange stony look in the once-passionate Frenchwoman's eyes. A strange compassion enters his expression. "Ach, we have all gone through hell already."

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

"I can move, yes. But I do not want to fight them with this." He holds up his pistol. Izoldah is clearly having problems adjusting to this; he picks his next words carefully. "Our enemy has some kind of armor, like our SN-42 or flak jackets I have seen airmen wear. Stens are proving... ineffective." He gestures at her rifle. "We need more guns like your rifle, comrade. I strongly want to search armory for something heavier."

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 7, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy can't help but grin as they shove the shelf aside. "Ognemety!" He leans down, grabbing one up. "This is more like it. I doubt Franz can shrug these off."

Which is the point at which the lights flicker, and the agonizingly slow door to the armory begins to grind down. Irakliy's head snaps around, and thinks for a moment before he starts. "Bozhe-- the doors! We must go!" He wraps one strap of the flamethrower over his shoulder, gesturing to the group as they gather up the rest of the gear. "Hurry! Or we will be stuck in command wing!"

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Ah, good. Spared us the trouble. Irakliy notices that the thing has... changed, somehow, and simultaneously wonders and wishes he hadn't about what might have caused that.

Moorewood comes skidding back into the corridor, and Irakliy swears, setting the flamethrower down. "Ach, bozhe, this thing is like carrying child." He looks up at the commander. "Sir, I doubt I can properly fire this thing in my current state. I think you should give it attempt." He takes a quick look at the pack. "I have supported ognemety before. I will assist you."

Transferring the flamethrower to Commander Barton-Morewood. In exchange am now possessor of his MP-40.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy curses as the grenade explodes. He gesticulates wildly at the big Maori. "HARRY!" He gestures over at the frozen Izoldah. "PICK UP BACKPACK! POINT THROWER AT MONSTER! BURN THE SVOLOCH!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Irakliy cinches the straps, clasping a hand on the thrower itself. He has to raise his voice to speak over the sudden din. "Works like gun! Keep at waist height! Point at enemy, squeeze trigger!" He taps the trigger guard, keeping his fingers well away from the trigger itself. "Squeeze, not hold--is hungry weapon! Will kick like gun too, be ready! Mixture is tar and petrol, will stick and burn, so aim CAREFULLY!"

Explanation finished, Irakliy slides back down to something resembling a kneel, picking up the MP-40 that Dicky had grabbed in the scramble. Hefting the lightweight German SMG, he brings it to bear and tries to will his hands to stop shaking.

Taking aim.