Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Khan was cool and good and actually the most heroic figure in the film. I cried at the end when he was put back in storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
the engineered ideal of human genetics definitely looks like Benedict Pumpkinpatch

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
They should've cast a more charismatic actor as Khan. I liked new Trek 1 and 3, however 2 was almost completely forgettable in my humble opinion.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Kuato posted:

They should've cast a more charismatic actor as Khan. I liked new Trek 1 and 3, however 2 was almost completely forgettable in my humble opinion.

ive been thinking about this a lot lately and every thought exercise ends with the conclusion that jj abrams is a hack.

he remade both star wars and star trek films into new movies by shamelessly copying the old ones

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Kuato posted:

I seriously agree with you there. They should have cast a powerful, full-blooded, full-bearded Sikh in the role. Wanna see some Captain Nemo looking badass loving Kirk's poo poo up.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
really, any fit actor who doesn't look like he melted on a dashboard one day

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Hey while we're on the subject, why the hell is the name of Data's creator in Star Trek: TNG Dr. Noonien Soong? Khan's full name is Khan Noonien Singh. Was Noonien Soong like, a placeholder name they just forgot to fix?

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

hth posted:

ive been thinking about this a lot lately and every thought exercise ends with the conclusion that jj abrams is a hack.

he remade both star wars and star trek films into new movies by shamelessly copying the old ones

I see you have the lights on in a lot of your theories that aren't conspiracy and for that, I'm happy to browse these forums and read your expert words friend

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I think in the companion comic they explain admiral robocop gives Kahn plastic surgery so people think he is just some dude.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I think in the companion comic they explain admiral robocop gives Kahn plastic surgery so people think he is just some dude.

Ohh. Well that makes me feel slightly better.

But I still wish he'd been a monster-rear end Sikh.

Sikhs are cool.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
If I recall correctly Benicio Del Toro was initially going to be Khan. He might've had the charisma and gravitas to pull it off. Cumberbatch might've been good alternative to be Lex Luthor in Smallville but IDK about being casted as Khan, or Dr. Strange for that matter. :shrug:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kuato posted:

If I recall correctly Benicio Del Toro was initially going to be Khan. He might've had the charisma and gravitas to pull it off. Cumberbatch might've been good alternative to be Lex Luthor in Smallville but IDK about being casted as Khan, or Dr. Strange for that matter. :shrug:

To be fair lots of people say that he looks Strange so the last one sort of makes sense

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

The Laughing Man posted:

I see you have the lights on in a lot of your theories that aren't conspiracy and for that, I'm happy to browse these forums and read your expert words friend

yo thanks dawg i've been trying to step my game up lately like my homeboy Ricardo Montalbán

edit: if you're dare you can gently caress clean off though

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 28, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I agree OP. Khan ends up being basically justified, like he told Kirk he was just trying to save his crew and Kirk would do that same thing in his shoes.

Mange Mite posted:

To be fair lots of people say that he looks Strange so the last one sort of makes sense

:drat:

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
middle aged women find the "melted boy" look incredibly sexy.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
It was silly to see a whitewashed Khan because Hollywood in current year is scared to cast a non-white villain. Was probably the least of that movie's problems but still.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I was pretty pleased to see Benedict Cumberbutt playing Khan Noonien Singh. I mean I'm not one of those ra-ra sjw types but dang you couldn't have at least changed the character's name lol?

Went from

to

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 28, 2016

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Berious posted:

It was silly to see a whitewashed Khan because Hollywood in current year is scared to cast a non-white villain. Was probably the least of that movie's problems but still.

Yes except Khan was the hero so it wouldn't have been a problem.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Khan did space 9/11, never forget

e: you know, for the consistency in narrative across all the new movies with a jumpier, more military Federation brought about as a result of the Narada's time fuckery, they didn't really carry over the ramifications of Khan's insanely destructive spree from ST:ID into Star Trek Beyond

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 28, 2016

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
idc if he looks weird he's a fantastic actor.

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

hth posted:

yo thanks dawg i've been trying to step my game up lately like my homeboy án

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IdIoORhID8

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Roylicious posted:

I was pretty pleased to see Benedict Cumberbutt playing Khan Noonien Singh. I mean I'm not one of those ra-ra sjw types but dang you couldn't have at least changed the character's name lol?

But then no one could have said Khan which is a thing people remember from a much better film

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Applewhite posted:

Hey while we're on the subject, why the hell is the name of Data's creator in Star Trek: TNG Dr. Noonien Soong? Khan's full name is Khan Noonien Singh. Was Noonien Soong like, a placeholder name they just forgot to fix?

I read that it was because Roddenberry knew someone named Noonen or whatever and it was Gene's way of trying to get the guy's attention and say, "Hey! Hey! I remember you!" I don't think a reunion ever happened though.

Into Darkness deciding to poo poo on Khan as irredeemable is one of my main gripes with the film. It feels like such lovely "We gotta make Trek relevant in the post-9/11 era and remind everyone that some people like bin Laden are just bad forever." Except Khan doesn't really do anything that can't be negotiated with and old Spock is just a prick. It's such a forced plot point.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Berious posted:

But then no one could have said Khan which is a thing people remember from a much better film

Yeah but they coulda changed it to SEAAAAAAAAAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhG9D9UO7c

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

ElectricSheep posted:

Khan did space 9/11, never forget

e: you know, for the consistency in narrative across all the new movies with a jumpier, more military Federation brought about as a result of the Narada's time fuckery, they didn't really carry over the ramifications of Khan's insanely destructive spree from ST:ID into Star Trek Beyond

I'm fine with them OOC choosing to basically ignore the events of STID

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Applewhite posted:

No joke I think that was a reference to some Asian dude Roddenberry knew in WWII/Korea but lost touch with, and was hoping that the dude would somehow watch Star Trek and make the connection?

It's as plausible as most of the apocrypha that gathers around prominent media.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I'd be willing to bet that it was just a placeholder name used on the script and by the time they were all 'hey wait Noonien Singh?' they had already started filming.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

a bone to pick posted:

idc if he looks weird he's a fantastic actor.

yeah if you want an autist played he's great. poo poo range though.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

akulanization posted:

I love how he unhinges his jaw to say "Khan" when he introduces himself for the first time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3BGsew3Q2c&t=68s

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Aren't the last three all supposed to be like alternate universe or some poo poo because of things?

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Zorodius posted:

the engineered ideal of human genetics definitely looks like Benedict Pumpkinpatch

Ya. Benny doesn't even have bangin mams.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Ork of Fiction posted:

Ya. Benny doesn't even have bangin mams.

I also hear he has a tiny ding dong. And by "hear" I mean I've searched for him nude and was very disappointed by his tiny ding dong.

Khan should have a big dick IMO.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Scientist: We've created the perfect human specimen. I present to you...
General, exasperated: Where's The Titties?! You're fired! Shut this whole thing down!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7X01_j_oDA&t=95s

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

akulanization posted:

What an interesting opinion. Tell me how much you hate bitches, blacks, and homos now. :allears:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Applewhite posted:

I seriously agree with you there. They should have cast a powerful, full-blooded, full-bearded Sikh in the role. Wanna see some Captain Nemo looking badass loving Kirk's poo poo up.

gently caress. Yes.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
this movie (like most things abrams touches) fails the basic fiction test of "if the points of view are reversed is the villain more justified in their actions then the hero?"

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

a bone to pick posted:

What an interesting opinion. Tell me how much you hate bitches, blacks, and homos now. :allears:

i don't :shrug:

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

We needed something discreet, so we made him into a seven-foot-tall funhouse goblin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

this movie (like most things abrams touches) fails the basic fiction test of "if the points of view are reversed is the villain more justified in their actions then the hero?"

that test is so basic

• Locked thread