Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

real talk trains are way cooler than planes. also way more comfortable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Dial-a-Dog posted:

Yeah I can see how something that moves in two dimensions and is literally on rails could be more complicated than flying an airplane, makes sense

Here's what you sound like:

"I admit I know very little about this yet I am convinced my opinion is correct!"

Commercial airliners are mostly flown by autopilot. The trickiest part is take off and landing and dealing with weather.

Meanwhile on a train if you aren't paying attention to the bunching of the cars based on the incline of the slope and the weight of each car and all this other crap to be paying attention to with nowhere near the instrumentation a plane has, suddenly when you try to brake the train derails instead.

e: I mean really it's like "oh you're on a hill let us tell you how to handle that:"

e: Obviously things could be made safer and better and I'm sure computers can help but just saying it's not as simple as your LEGO train at home. It's more complicated than just 'hit the brakes' because there's 50 cars each weighing a few tons behind you that don't have independent braking systems.

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 29, 2016

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
The station should have obeyed the crossing signal, at that speed by the time the conductor sees you stopping distance is well past you.

No need for safety reform, let the transit authorities self-regulate and their ones who don't regulate their speed will go out of business when all their trains and stations are totaled.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Roylicious posted:

"I admit I know very little about this yet I am convinced my opinion is correct!"

Commercial airliners are mostly flown by autopilot. The trickiest part is take off and landing and dealing with weather.

Meanwhile on a train if you aren't paying attention to the bunching of the cars based on the incline of the slope and the weight of each car and all this other crap to be paying attention to with nowhere near the instrumentation a plane has, suddenly when you try to brake the train derails instead.

e: I mean really it's like "oh you're on a hill let us tell you how to handle that:"

e: Obviously things could be made safer and better and I'm sure computers can help but just saying it's not as simple as your LEGO train at home. It's more complicated than just 'hit the brakes' because there's 50 cars each weighing a few tons behind you that don't have independent braking systems.

I did forget to think about the treacherous terrain between Hoboken and Manhattan and the ever changing configurations of a commuter train you're right

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
this is a very compelling debate about trains

please, continue

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Roylicious posted:

Yes good thing planes need no calculations for weight, fuel, windspeed etc at all

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Please follow these instructions to get on top of the hill you're willing to die on

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Roylicious posted:

A train literally has two functions - going forwards and going backwards. Lets compare a controller for a scale model train with a RC for a scale model airplane:

versus

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
somebody please come up with a tasteful and classy joke about train disasters related to 'running a train', specifically in reference to continuous coitus with somebody's mother

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

935 posted:

A train literally has two functions - going forwards and going backwards. Lets compare a controller for a scale model train with a RC for a scale model airplane:

This is dumber than anything I posted for sure.

Vitamin Me posted:

Yes good thing planes need no calculations for weight, fuel, windspeed etc at all

Again, take off and landing are the hardest parts and the other 98% of the flight is cruising.

Dial-a-Dog posted:

I did forget to think about the treacherous terrain between Hoboken and Manhattan and the ever changing configurations of a commuter train you're right

I'm just trying to explain why we can almost be at self driving cars yet trains are still run manually by engineers a lot of the time. Obviously smaller commuter lines can (and have been in many places) be largely automated.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Looks like this thread has been derailed :twisted:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
this is why we can't have GBS

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
if you put wings on a train and put that on a conveyor belt, would it be able to stop before injuring hundreds in New Jersey?

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Parallax Scroll posted:

it crashed? must have been running windows :smug: *sips caramel machiatto*
Ruby off Rails

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
aspergers seems like a terrible thing to have to deal with on a daily basis

sounds exhausting

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

and

ArbitraryC posted:

Ruby off Rails

are some pretty good jokes. Thank you, goons

The Laughing Man
Sep 21, 2016

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Lucky it wasn't one of those trains carrying nuclear warheads in a Slav country. Imagine if two of those collided.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
if you put a train on a treadmill, will it derail into a hoboken station injuring hundreds?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
that's a really great question, in my opinion

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

hmmm....

"trains"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they should put parachutes on each end of the train to slow it down like they do for drag racing cars.

it wouldn't help but it would make the carnage afterwards look prettier, maybe entertain the kids a little as their lungs fill with blood

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ROFLburger posted:

this is a very compelling debate about trains

please, continue

autism reigns

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Roylicious posted:

I'm just trying to explain why we can almost be at self driving cars yet trains are still run manually by engineers a lot of the time. Obviously smaller commuter lines can (and have been in many places) be largely automated.
the job is literally so simple and boring that for a hundred years the primary safety issue has been keeping the operator from falling asleep

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Alereon posted:

the job is literally so simple and boring that for a hundred years the primary safety issue has been keeping the operator from falling asleep

Welp you're just wrong idk what else to say. I'm not even involved with engineering or trains and I know that's wrong. Just google 'train handling*' and see engineers talking about it.

* :wink:

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
Planes, Trains, and Aspergian Squeals

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bolywood reenactment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM1O4JkHK_I

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I get very anxious when trains behave unpredictably.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkKJfcBXcw

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully this clears things up !

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

More like crashes into the goldmine

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

unpacked robinhood posted:

but how does time factor into this

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

train lives matter

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I'm a train conductor ask me anything

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
Semi-automatic assault train kills; deadlier than 9/11 planes? Islam.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Im kinda jealous,
the last time we had a huge train accident in France the rear end in a top hat fuckers from the banlieues came immediately to loot the victims and I don't think it's happening in Hoboken

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Fixed that for you -

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Dayum! Looks like somebody zigged when they should have neither zigged nor zagged, but instead probably just stayed on the tracks.

They should add that to those fancy train pilot instructions posted earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

You have to watch Blaine all the time, Blaine is a pain, and that is the truth. I'm pretty sure that Blaine is dangerous, and that is the truth.

• Locked thread