Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37503224

"He said the bill would set a "dangerous precedent" for individuals around the world to sue the US government.
Wednesday's vote was the first time Mr Obama's veto power was overruled.
CIA Director John Brennan agreed that the bill carried "grave implications" for national security.
He added: "The downside is potentially huge." ..."
- bbc news

Click the link!

Also

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

quote:

Reacting to the congressional vote on Wednesday, Mr Obama told CNN: "It's a dangerous precedent and it's an example of why sometimes you have to do what's hard.
"And, frankly, I wish Congress here had done what's hard.

:drat:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
owns

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Obama's right

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Congress is dumb

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

I like the linked WSJ article blaming Obama not doing enough to stop the bill

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol loving Schumer demanded it be open to all countries when the imbecile could have just limited it to terror-land

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

lol loving Schumer demanded it be open to all countries when the imbecile could have just limited it to terror-land

Schumer is um, not smart

He's also going to be the next senate majority leader

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I hope the world sues us for all the terrible poo poo we did. It'd be nice for some accountability to happen.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
It's great we finally have a Congress that is unified on something.

Too bad it's meaningless pandering to emotions and will probably hurt the country in the long run. No wait that's actually par the course.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
someone should forcibly stick food in the CIA directors arse imo. obama seems too nice for it but i reckon hillary would be for it

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My hours got reduced after 9-11 when do I get my oil well?

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

That comments section is epic

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

noooooo people will be able to sue countries for war crimes propagated against them noooo

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

quote:

"He said the bill would set a "dangerous precedent" for individuals around the world to sue the US government.

incredible self-own

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Karl Barks posted:

noooooo people will be able to sue countries for war crimes propagated against them noooo

the thing is that this also applies in reverse and the US has done an awful lot of war crimin'

basically:

Homework Explainer posted:

incredible self-own

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Elephanthead posted:

My hours got reduced after 9-11 when do I get my oil well?

:monar:

Gone Baptizin posted:

Yeah, you're not kidding :aaaaa:

Princess Di has issued a correction as of 20:58 on Sep 29, 2016

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gone Baptizin posted:

Symbolism features heavily in the occult
The Matrix #1 film (1999) is full of symbolism
NEO's driver license dob is 11th September 2001, the scene is revealing

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the fact the press secretary said this was the worst decision the senate has made in 20 years was pretty awesome

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This is cool and good both so people can sue the Saudis and people can sue the US

Karl Barks posted:

the fact the press secretary said this was the worst decision the senate has made in 20 years was pretty awesome

Literally worse than Iraq

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
When was clinton impeached, was that more than 20 years ago because if less than daaaaaaamn bill slam

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

I choose to believe that vetoing the bill most likely to deter us from committing war crimes was the actual 12th dimensional checkmate by Obama. Gonna be hard to walk it back when the legislative "Are you SURE you want to do that" was responded to with a legislative "gently caress yeah"

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I haven't done enough research to really get a good idea of whether this will be a net negative or positive in the long term but Saudi Arabia is really pissed so for now I'm happy about it :)

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Raiad posted:

I choose to believe that vetoing the bill most likely to deter us from committing war crimes was the actual 12th dimensional checkmate by Obama. Gonna be hard to walk it back when the legislative "Are you SURE you want to do that" was responded to with a legislative "gently caress yeah"

:pusheen: Awesome if true!

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

How do I even go about filing a lawsuit against Turkey for any wrong doing?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

935 posted:

How do I even go about filing a lawsuit against Turkey for any wrong doing?

Gülenist account spotted

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
just a reminder that there was never anything more than circumstance and speculation linking the Saudi government to 9/11 so letting people sue them would set a precedent that it's totally cool to sue entire governments based on your conspiracy theory about how the Swiss are putting chemicals in your drinking water to make your dick smaller.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
It'll be worth it if Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld get dragged into court and have to pay damages to the families of Iraqi civilian casualties.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Blind Pineapple posted:

It'll be worth it if Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld get dragged into court and have to pay damages to the families of Iraqi civilian casualties.

They won't.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
No they won't... But you can imagine what it'd be like if they did.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Constant Hamprince posted:

just a reminder that there was never anything more than circumstance and speculation linking the Saudi government to 9/11 so letting people sue them would set a precedent that it's totally cool to sue entire governments based on your conspiracy theory about how the Swiss Israelis are putting chemicals in your drinking water to make your dick smaller.

The alt-right will take their crusade to save the white race to the true battlefield, civil court.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So if the Syrian branch of my family is blown up by an errant U.S. missile strike, will I have standing to sue the U.S.?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Subterfrugal posted:

So if the Syrian branch of my family is blown up by an errant U.S. missile strike, will I have standing to sue the U.S.?

That depends, does president trump pack the supreme court full of ultraconservatives hand picked by the heritage foundation and ted cruz like he's planning to do?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone should sue everyone. Lawyering is the only government stimulus allowed.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Constant Hamprince posted:

just a reminder that there was never anything more than circumstance and speculation linking the Saudi government to 9/11 so letting people sue them would set a precedent that it's totally cool to sue entire governments based on your conspiracy theory about how the Swiss are putting chemicals in your drinking water to make your dick smaller.

discovery is a hell of a thing

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Raiad posted:

have any gitmo detainees sued the u.s. govt yet under this bill?

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Mo_Steel posted:

have any gitmo detainees sued the u.s. govt yet under this bill?

Not yet as its a new bill, or law rather.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Somebody help me out here. This sets a dangerous precedent because if the US government allows US citizens to sue foreign governments in US courts, foreign governments will allow foreign citizens to sue the US government in foreign courts? What was stopping these foreign governments from allowing their citizens to sue the US government before this? Just the idea that we would retaliate by allowing our citizens to sue their governments in the future? Are there any governments which have allowed their citizens to sue the US government in the recent past, and we're just ignoring them? Is this the same general idea behind Democrats keeping the filibuster completely intact because if they weaken it now, what's to stop the next Republican majority from abolishing it completely?

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

EngineerSean posted:

Somebody help me out here. This sets a dangerous precedent because if the US government allows US citizens to sue foreign governments in US courts, foreign governments will allow foreign citizens to sue the US government in foreign courts? What was stopping these foreign governments from allowing their citizens to sue the US government before this? Just the idea that we would retaliate by allowing our citizens to sue their governments in the future? Are there any governments which have allowed their citizens to sue the US government in the recent past, and we're just ignoring them? Is this the same general idea behind Democrats keeping the filibuster completely intact because if they weaken it now, what's to stop the next Republican majority from abolishing it completely?

I have no idea, but these are very smart questions that apparently people in the senate did not ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
I don't have a problem with foreign citizens suing the united states for war crimes, that seems totally logical cool and good

I guess if I was the one causing the war crimes I would be like noooo don't let them do that, because I'd be the sort of person committing war crimes so presumably I'd want to get away with it.

I think committing war crimes is definitely bad though, so people probably shouldn't be doing them at all

• Locked thread