Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The Wendy's you were all summoned to is easy enough to get to. Technically not a part of campus it is the geographical center being on City Line road which cuts through. Since you all got the text at the same time it isn't too weird when you arrive at the same time. With a fifth chair pulled up to the table an odd girl waits in the corner of the sitting area. There shouldn't be anyone else waiting for exactly four people so she must be who sent that message.

The girl is hunched over in her seat. Her leg bounced anxiously as she stared out the window. When she sees you she leans back in her chair. She seems pleased but it is harder to tell with her mouth behind that scarf. She nods "Jesus, a little over dressed. We should make this quick before there's a lunch crowd. Everyone will be staring." Along with her slightly off appearance her voice is raspy and muffled. "Before you ask, I'm Poe. How I got your numbers is a trade secret. I am dead serious about what I am offering." She waits until everyone is settled into their seats before continuing. She pulled something out from her coat. It almost seems to be nothing, as if she's doing some weird hand gesture, but there really is something in her hand. The light bends around it and the air warps above it. "Call it whatever you want. This is raw possibility. Thirteen of these and only your imagination is the limit." She quickly puts it away before anyone else sees it. "In proportion to the reward the risk is mild. Are you all in for some big game hunting?"

She let's the sight of that impossible thing she held soak in as opposed to continuing. Regardless of what is going through your mind it is impossible not to turn your thoughts to the strange dream you woke up from. When you do you feel something in your ear that you didn't notice before. A small device which resembles a blu tooth ear piece, like was on your plate in the dream. Whatever insanity is causing these unbelievable things Poe seems content to leave out explanations until you show interest in her deal. You've certainly gained a lot to think about in a short time. It's a small mercy she isn't adding more to that while you collect your thoughts.

Cerise & Robert: Well at least you know someone who should have your back getting pulled into this. Of course you love your sibling but is splitting the spoils going to be a problem? Of course there's those other two as well.

Allison & Danielle: At least there's one person present that isn't a shady character. Poe hides her face and is playing her hand tight to her chest with information. Meanwhile the campus paparazzi and her brother are here. Even if you haven't met them, people talk and the two have rubbed enough people the wrong way. Does that influence how you intend to go about this apparent hunt?

Please include your character sheet in the first post for easy reference.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1qeltzqU8Em9InsYHhyxMDa3KCZPxUgBQ-iUk-IPK_JQ/edit Relationship map

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789788&pagenumber=3#lastpost Ooc thread

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Cerise Cooper

Oh, I'm not in this for the spoils. Not that I'd ever say no to a little something extra on the side, of course, but as far as you're concerned I'm just here for the story. After all, I am a journalist, aren't I?

Besides, it's a bit early to start thinking about stabbing people in the back. The money's not even on the table yet. We're just sitting in a drat Wendy's with a bunch of people we don't know listening to a Doctor Who cosplayer make cryptic promises about mystical crap. I'm willing to see where this goes, but I'm not making plans to cash my blank check at the wish bank until I know what the ironic monkey's paw twist here is. If one of these suckers (my money's on Robert) wants to screw the rest of us over just so they can be the first to learn the real reward is the friends we made, they're welcome to try, but I'm not gonna let this weirdo play me for a morality tale.

Don't get me wrong, though. Once all is said and done, I will get my taste, one way or another. That much I guarantee.

quote:

Name: Cerise Cooper
What kind of person am I? Mercenary as hell and proud of it.
Why accept a Persona? I never turn down a chance to shake things up.
What is your wish? I wanna live forever, baby.
Crisis: The big men on campus have it out for me.

Persona: The Red Death, Devil Arcana

Magical element: Plague
Magical weapon: Pistol
Magical power: Agility

Charm 5
Insight 3
Tenacity 6

Magic (Defense) 7
Heart (Support) 3
Fury (Attack) 9

Specialization: Witch

Hex
Minor Action
Place a Hex on a target within a range of 0-2. The target takes 1 point of damage at the start of each round until the end of
the scene. Damage from Hexes is not considered an attack. You can place multiple Hexes on the same target, but you can
only place one Hex in a round. On your turn, you may remove all or part of the Hexes you’ve placed on a target as a free
action.

Magical talents:

Boost
Free Action, 3/Scene, 1 Overcharge
When making a magical challenge, you can take 1 Overcharge on the magical attribute you’re using for the challenge to roll an additional die and add it to your result. This die will give you another die and another point of Overcharge if it rolls a 6 as usual, and if you use it for an attack it gives +2 to the attack’s damage as usual. If you have trouble keeping track of how many uses of Boost you have in a scene, you might set 3 special dice out in front of you at the start of each scene, and remove them as you use them.

Recover
2/Episode
While out of combat, a magical girl can use this to regain 1d6+2 Resolve.

Bypass
Minor Action, 1 Overcharge (Support), 2/Scene
Move 2 positions on the battlefield. This movement ignores magical barriers and difficult terrain, and can be used to move away from enemies without needing to Disengage.

Dash Strike
Major Action, 2/Scene
Move 1 position and make a basic attack.

Drain Life
Free Action, 1 Overcharge (Attack)
Deal half damage with an attack to heal yourself for the same amount.

Advances:
Tier 1:
*+1 to Magic

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 25, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Robert Cooper

All of this was of course, extremely weird. The dream. The odd way light turned around it. It was all so very unbelievable. Parts of him were still skeptical. it could just be some kind of weird technical... and then he feels the earpiece.

Aright. That was very weird indeed. But rather than making him worried, it made Robert hopeful. 'If only I had a wish' had been something he'd tormented himself with plenty. He didn't think about problems about sharing yet. For all he knew all of them would get one wish when thirteen were gathered. And even if not, well, if it was time for human nature to take its course, he had his sister backing him up and backed up his sister, and the other two didn't. Advantadge: Coopers.

Of course, there was the question of how to react to this offer. Besides being eerie, it also was suspicious as all heck. Posisbly immoral. Big game hunting? Was this some kind of assassin's contract? He looked at Danielle. They'd sure picked the wrong ones if it was that. Would they for him? Would he kill for such a wish? No, best not to let his thoughts stray too long on such matters. She sai 'big game' not 'the most dangerous game' right?

For now, he wasn't going to risk this opportunity passing by. If he'd have been the praying person, he'd have been praying for a while for something to undo the financial noose that he felt tightening with each day. And now opportunity knocked. "Very well." he said."I'm interested. What kind of big game are we talking about?"

quote:

Name: Robert Cooper
Arcana: Devil
Magical Element: Greed
Magical Weapon: Chain Whip
Magical Power: Nighmare

Charm: 5
Insight: 4
Tenacity: 5

Magic: 8 (Attack)
Heart: 3 (Support)
Fury: 7 (Defense)

Talents:

Damnable Usury (Hex)
Minor Action
Place a Hex on a target within a range of 0-2. The target takes 1 point of damage at the start of each round until the end of
the scene. Damage from Hexes is not considered an attack. You can place multiple Hexes on the same target, but you can
only place one Hex in a round. On your turn, you may remove all or part of the Hexes you’ve placed on a target as a free
action

Take on debt (Boost)
Free Action, 3/Scene, 1 Overcharge
When making a magical challenge, you can take 1 Overcharge on the magical attribute you’re using for the challenge to roll an additional die and add it to your result. This die will give you another die and another point of Overcharge if it rolls a 6 as usual, and if you use it for an attack it gives +2 to the attack’s damage as usual. If you have trouble keeping track of how many uses of Boost you have in a scene, you might set 3 special dice out in front of you at the start of each scene, and remove them as you use them.

No Rest for the Wicked (Recover)
2/Episode
While out of combat, a magical girl can use this to regain 1d6+2 Resolve.

Nothing Will Stand in my Way! Hate the World
2/Scene
You can willingly reduce the rank of a relationship by 1 to get +2 to the Result of a challenge (and +2 to damage if it is an
attack) or regain 1d6 Resolve

Mine! Drain Life
Free Action, 1 Overcharge (Attack)
Deal half damage with an attack to heal yourself for the same amount.

Wish: I want to be rich, really rich
Crisis: I'm not sure I have enough money to stay in this school

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Danielle Durant

What do you know, the text wasn't completely bull. Still suspicious, and I was approaching this situation with very careful hands, but this wasn't just some sort of prank. Or if it was, it was an incredibly elaborate one. I give the earpiece-like device a tap, confirming that it's real. How it managed to get there, I wasn't so sure. Maybe something to do with the light show her hand just did.

So, that was the situation assessed. Now the people. There was Chains, for one. Allison. Familiar face, and a trustworthy one. If things went south, I'd be glad he was here. Couldn't be so positive about Cooper 1 and Cooper 2 on the other hand. Cerise and Robert. Didn't like 'em, both from what I've heard and what brief conversations we've had. Had to wonder what exactly their "wildest dreams" could be. Something no good, or did they have a more of a heart than their reputation led me to believe?

Cut that poo poo out, part of me tells myself, you barely know them and you're already judging. Yeah, but I'm usually right, another part says. Then the rational side takes back over. So, what did she want from us? To accept this "deal", for lack of a better term. Then, what did I know about this deal? Jack and poo poo, ma'am. Great. Didn't like the fact that Poe used the word hunt though. Gave me a bad feeling. The fact that Cooper 2 was already interested gave me another one, even if he had the sense to ask for some more details. Didn't get the sense Poe was likely to answer, but better to try than blindly agree.

"Got a question too: this a team game, or a competition?"

On the one hand, working with the Coopers sounded like it was bound to be troublesome. On the other, going against Allison would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Lose-lose either way, so the question was, which poison was I tasting?

quote:

Name: Danielle "Dani" Durant
Kind of Girl: Quiet but Resolute
Reason for Pact: Power Inside and Outside the System
Wish: To create an utopia.
Crisis: Recently, I feel as if I'm being watched.
Attributes: Charm 2, Insight 6, Tenacity 6
Weapon: Double-Edged Sword

Persona: Ma'at
Arcana: Justice
'Element': Chains
Power: Feather of Ma'at - Able to tell when someone is being truthful or dishonest
Attributes: Magic 9 (Attack), Heart 6 (Defense), Fury 3 (Support)
Resolve: 18

-Weight of Sin (Hex) Minor Action: Place a hex on a target within a range of 0-2. The target takes 1 point of damage at the start of each round until the end of the scene. Damage from Hexes is not considered an attack. You can place multiple Hexes on the same target, but you can only place one Hex in a round. On your turn, you may remove all or part of the Hexes you've placed on a target as a free action.

-Quid Pro Quo (Boost) Free Action, 3/Scene, 1 Overcharge: When making a magical challenge, you can take one Overcharge on the magical attribute you're using for the challenge to roll an additional die and add it to your result. This die will give you another die and another point of Overcharge if it rolls a 6 as usual, and if you use it for an attack it gives +2 to the attack's damage as usual.

-Conviction (Recover) 2/Episode: While out of combat, a magical girl can use this to regain 1d6+2 Resolve.

-Null and Void (Purge) Minor Action, 1/Scene: Remove any number of status effects from yourself.

-Balance the Scales (All or Nothing) Free Action, 1/Scene: You may take up to 12 points of damage to boost the damage of an attack you just made by the same amount.

-Citizen's Arrest (Hamstring) Major Action, 1 Overcharge (Attack): Make a basic attack. If it successful, the target also takes the Bound status.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 30, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Allison Chains

Hm...That stance...This 'Poe.' From her body language, she's definitely wishing she'd picked a more discreet venue. From the sound of her voice, either a smoker or suffering from some kind of issue in the throat or lungs. Offering a hunt for impossible objects and claiming the risks to be "mild in proportion". Considering the facts, it seems obvious what needs to happen next: he needs to test her character, as well as everyone else at the table.

"I say, dear lady. I'd like to ask you something as well before we go further: do you intend or stand to gain anything from this?"

A simple question, with a deep meaning: if they choose to say that they personally gain from this, it means they intend to use us in this. And with three people who seem adept at using one another at this table, it seems only a matter of time before one attempts to betray another. Of course, that's not what's important. What's important is that, regardless of whether they stand to gain from this, this is more than a selfish endeavor. That this aids everyone somehow is the ideal situation.

quote:

Kind of Person?: Gentleman
Why take a Persona?: I refuse to let harm come to my family or friends again.
What is your wish?: A normal, peaceful life for myself and those close to me.
Crisis: Someone on this campus stabbed my little sister.
Normal Attributes: [6 Charm], [2 Insight], [6 Tenacity]

Asura of the Strength Arcana

Element: Physical
Magical Weapon: FISTS.
Magical Power: Balzac (Invigoration/Berserk status/etc)
Magical Attributes: [7 Heart (Attack)], [8 Fury (Defense)], [3 Magic (Support)]
Resolve: 18
Magical Specialization: Knight
Magical Talents: Guardian, Reflector, Boost, Recover, Empower, Second Wind, Aura of Strength

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Poe nods to each of your questions. Also her eyebrow twitches when Allison speaks up. "Well first, I'm... middle management. I get a finder's fee if you guys cough up the goods for your pay. Details of that isn't important. You guys can all fly solo if you want. But you'll be scraping up bottom feeders for chump change for a while doing that. Some people make it work but it's not easy. As for what you'll be ripping the seeds of possibility from?" She leans in over the table. "They're called ids. Dreams deferred, gone wrong, like living nightmares. Parasites that feed off the will to live. College is a natural hot spot of people burning out and a lot of abandoned dreams. Like some kind of lovely ouroboros. Now no one can see the things because they're not on our plane of existence. But you all have a... purity of essence and travel the psychic landscape of the school or whatever the hell it is."

She sits up straight. "Something kicked the hornet's nest. They're all riled up and multiplying so now's a good time to awaken and get in while the getting is good. As for how to fight the things, because that's obviously the next question, you're all already set. Otherwise I wouldn't be talking to you." She taps her ear, the one you have the blu tooths in. She shows an app icon on her phone that is a tilted tarot card. "But these are just tools. The weapon is inside yourself. A Persona is a way to project this strength and you have the means to invoke yours. Now we've been coming up with symbols and telling stories through characters for ages. Like archetypes and poo poo. Everything is just patterns in patterns and represents a greater whole. The trick is to recognize the patterns and wield that icon with all the weight it's been lent by the masses. Feel free to try it out, by the way. You can only perceive this stuff if you're woke as gently caress."

She leans back in her chair and waits. She seems to want to size each of you up in terms of persona. The Persona app has put itself on your phone like the earpiece put itself in your ear. When you activate it you feel a small jolt through your head.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Danielle Durant

So going solo was an option. From the sound of it, I'd be hurting myself if I did so, but it was an option on the table. Have'd to think about it. And then she goes on about these "ids," which I'd normally dismiss on the premise that it was absolutely insane. But somehow, this time I couldn't help but feel like there was something to it. Maybe it was because I was coming off of that dream. Maybe it was because I wanted to believe that this wasn't just some mystic nonsense, that there was a real possibility of a wish being granted. Only one way to find out, I suppose. My finger taps against the tarot card, a picture of a set of scales balanced on a sword-

-and a crackle of energy rushes through my head as I do so. Before I can process what's going on, a voice rings out in my mind as the image of a woman forms.

"I am thou...thou art I... from the sea of thy soul, I come... I am Ma'at, she who weighs the hearts of the deceased, and judges them worthy of Aaru..."

My eyes widened, and I'm guessing I looked more than a little dumbfounded. Ma'at was... both a set of moral principles and a goddess back in ancient Egypt, if I recalled correctly. Mostly I remember it because those who weren't worthy got their hearts eaten and their souls barred from Egyptian paradise. Not entirely sure what that said about me that she was my...Persona, did Poe call it? At least it explained her garb, stereotypical and gaudy as it was. I glance around at the others, giving a half-hearted shrug as I tried to recover from the unexpected experience.

"Well...that's it for me, looks like. Who's next?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Allison Chains

"I believe I'll try it out next."

So Poe was a middleman in this whole ordeal? That complicates things. We don't know exactly how she benefits, nor who this other party is or what benefits they gain from this agreement. That said, the idea of creatures running around stealing the will to live is troubling indeed. Putting these things down before they cause any damage is definitely a priority, especially considering little Josephine will eventually be released from the hospital and might try visiting again. The idea of something taking her powerful spirit causes something to burn within Allison as he looks at and taps the image of the card, itself being an image of a lady holding back some beast ready to pounce. Speaking of pouncing, a sharp tingle pounces into his brain...

...As a most angry-looking figure appears and strikes a defensive stance, before looking down at Allison, understanding in its eyes.

“...I see. From the sea of thy soul, I rise! I am Asura of the Strength Arcana. I pray to no one, and I will not be prayed to, but above all else, I will not forgive anyone who makes my loved ones cry. Be they humans, gods or demons, they will face my Wrath.”

Allison looks up at the figure. He can see the conviction in it's eyes. An Asura? His mythology needs some brushing up, but as he recalls, they're a god of light that can potentially lead the world to a good future. They also usually have...more arms than this. Oh well, he's not one to judge. Despite it not being physically visible to any onlookers, he offers a hand to the figure. An outstretched hand to shake. The figure looks down at it, confused for a moment. Allison seems confused as well, and begins pulling it back, only for Asura to figure out the gesture and reach out to clasp its hand with Allison's. The two share a very firm handshake.

"...I think I have as good a partner as I could have possibly gotten. Anyone else?"

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cerise Cooper

"Middle management, huh? Well, I certainly can't fault your ambition. But if you're looking for someone to go kicking hornet's nests, you made the right choice." Cerise watches Danielle and Allison summon their Personas and gives a long, low whistle. "Boy, aren't you looking regal? And methinks somebody has a few anger issues they need to work out." She feels something tugging at the back of her mind and closes her eyes for a second, mentally prodding at that sensation, feeling it out, while running a finger along her earpiece. "By the way," she says, opening her eyes to look back at Poe, "I don't especially appreciate whatever you folks are doing inside my head. Or my phone, while we're at it." She pulls out her phone and unlocks it. "That being said..." She presses the tarot icon.

A faceless, crimson monstrosity bursts out of her head. It is a tall, gaunt figure clad in loose, blood red cloth that subtly ripples and shifts even in the absence of motion or wind, creating a queasy, disquieting effect that makes the cloth look as though it is leaking some disgusting, viscous fluid. In one hand the figure holds a mask of the anguished, blood-specked face of a decaying corpse, but beneath the cloth there is no suggestion of a hand to hold that mask, or of any body or form at all. Beneath its wrappings the figure is nothing but a sickly, pestilent void, and where its face would be there is only a view directly into that void. It is a difficult thing to look at. Simply trying is enough to make a person feel sick to their stomach and all too aware of their own mortality.

Cerise twists in her seat and looks up at the thing, gazing into the hollow cavity where its face would be, then chuckles exactly once. She turns back around and leans back in her chair, lifting its front legs off the ground, hiding her eyes beneath her hat and smiling to herself. "What's it look like? I can't see it."

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 2, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Robert Cooper

"Never mind the details hm?" Which meant as much as 'don't ask anything more'. Don't read the fine print. Please sign on the dotted like. Limited time only offer. He was suspicious as hell. Oh, not that this wasn't supernatural. He was quite convinced. But he had no ways to enforce their part of the deal, now did he? He could dawdle and ask for guaranties, but if this Poe didn't give them, would he walk away?

He knew perfectly well that he would not do that. This was a chance. And any trails with better odds on it had gone cold. Despair had started to chew at the edges. So no point in asking questions where the answer did not matter. It doesn't do to make the other partner know that you're distrusting them. If the wish turned out to be a lie, he'd deal with it then.

He smiled as Cerise prickled and prodded at the others, at Poe and even mocked her own... Persona. He gave her a wry grin. "It's an impressive sight, no doubt of that Cerise. I suppose I shouldn't keep everyone waiting then." He said with a smile at all the others, then tapped the tarot cards himself, with two people chained to a horned person.

There was a brief moment of chill, like a winter wind entering the room as the middle aged, thin, sharp faced man appeared, dressed in 19th century clothing, wearing a cheap top hat. He looked around with annoyed contempt at most others there, until his gaze settled on Robert himself and gave a small, almost imperceptible nod. "I come from the sea of soul and all that humbug. There is work to do, so do not dawdle. Time is a precious thing. Work with others if you must. But do remember." That sharp gaze went to Poe. "Payment upon delivery. We do not provide credit."

And then it vanished, leaving Robert, whose wry smile had faded into a tight lipped scowl as he was likely receiving some looks. Then, it melted into a smile that looked as sincere as he could make it. "Well, I like to think I'm a bit more pleasant company that old Ebeneezer. But he does raise a valid question, Mr. Poe. How do we go about obtaining our reward? Does it manifest itself when we have the thirteen... whatever they are together? Or do we need to 'hand them in' to a certain party to receive what we are due?"

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Poe looks pleased with the display until Robert starts talking. "Mr? Excuse me?" She snorts. "Well first off-" she points to Cerise. "Don't blame me for that. I just scout the talent. You have no one to blame but yourself and god for getting caught up in this. I'm just offering some mutual profits off cleaning up the place. I'm sure you'd end up doing it anyway, the strongest personalities are the most attractive. This is a much better way to find out about this than something attacking you in the dreamscape yeah? As for payment..." She chuckles, "Heh. Heh. Heh. That's where I'm doing you a favor. Boss is at the top of the high tower. But I've already been through it, so I can fast track the goods to him so you can get what's yours. Speaking of the tower, it's a focal point of realities... or something. The point is the easiest way to get to the dream world shadow plane whatever the ids haunt is in Barbelin Hall. But maybe you can find other breeches. You and use that app to look into the other world, it's a good way to scope out id nests before bumbling into them." She stands up. "Well that should be the long and sort of it. You'll have to figure out how to fight the things on your own. Don't worry it's mostly instinct." She gives a mock salute. "So unless you got any last questions I got some more creepin to do."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Robert Cooper

"My mistake. With all this, I imagine I have the Edgar Allen on my mind." He said. But warning bells were ringing about him 'fast tracking' things for him. Oh, he wasn't handing those orbs to this woman to steal his wish. "Mostly the short of it, it seems to me. But yes, one last question. How many other people are searching for these things? Just so we have an idea what amount of competition to expect."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

"Already thinking about thinning the field? Ha. Ha. Ha." She shrugs. "Well I couldn't tell you about any free agents of course. But maybe I'll let you know if I run across any. There is bound to be some. Something is happening around here and it's causing a spike is psychic resonance I guess you would call it. Your little tricks you just picked up might spike out of control if you're not careful."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Robert Cooper

"Of course not." Robert said, his smile not fading a moment. "Just curious how thick the field is right now. And how careful we need to be. We wouldn't do such a thing, naturally...." he said with a look towards the the others. "But others might. 'Anything you want' is a big prize." Even as he kept his voice level, his hands were clenching the side of his chair. Part of him realized how.... insane all of this sounded. And briefly he wondered if this was just his mind snapping and having a complete delusional breakdown. But well, if that was the case, there was nothing to do except rant in his padded room. So he might as well soldier on and work with the facts as presented. "But you are not recruiting anyone else than the four of us then?"

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

"Who else does she need?" Cerise asks, still leaning her chair back. "I mean, we've already got the dapperest dandy and the goodiest two-shoes. Obviously we're not exactly flush with candidates here."

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Danielle Durant

If that was her trying to get under my skin, I was frankly disappointed, and I made it clear that I thought as much with a sigh and a shaking of my head.

"Cooper One's attempt at mockery aside, who is this "Boss" of yours, Ms. Poe, and how do they benefit from this...deal of ours? This isn't your average business transaction, after all. Also, what do you mean by our tricks "spiking out of control", exactly?"

What kind of person dealt in supernatural parasites and wishes? The kind of person that deserved looking into, that's who, especially if they were the boss of a shady individual like this. And if our powers weren't something we were completely in control of, I'd have to watch how often I called out my new partner.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Allison Chains

Allison just smiles and shrugs that the disparaging remarks from Cerise. "You can say whatever you wish, Ms Cooper. Just be sure that you put conviction behind those words instead of blustering for the sake of blustering." He has no questions for Poe, none that weren't already asked, anyway, and just reclines.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Poe shrugs. "I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Got to know who else has a spark. I've been told to gently caress off before, but I don't think they will be a problem for you. As for the clown fiesta of overclocking your pressure cooker I can't tell you what would happen. Obviously it hasn't happened to me. But with the veil being so weak here it could leak out. Just don't use a shotgun when you need a scalpel and it's no problem yeah? The boss well, he likes granting wishes it seems. He's a wish granter after all. Guess it's in his nature. He actually throws out freebees. But unless you want to try your chances in the lottery with six bil I'd collect those seeds."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Robert Cooper

"Is knowing when we are... overclocking our pressure cooper also one of those 'instinctual' things?" Robert said He leaned forward. "And how come you yourself aren't making a play for that wish? Middle management seems like an odd position when you're one thirteenth of the way already to getting any wish you want granted." Unless your plan is to find some rubes to do it for you, but Robert was happy to let the man think he hadn''t considered that yet.

In the mean time, he took his cell phone, and started the app. Might as well see if this thing worked, and what he'd see when he used it. "I've just realized checking this will make people think I'm playing Pokemon Go. But I suppose that's a sacrifice I'll just have to make." He said with a wry grin.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cerise Cooper

"Don't be silly, Robert. Everybody knows you're all about Candy Crush."

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

"Duh. I already got mine. Like I said, I've already met the boss. Okay 20 questions is over. I got things to do." Poe left before she could be grilled anymore.

The app gives an image of where the phone is pointed just like the camera. But other images are blurring over what Robert sees. Bright colored strobe lights and cash whirling around. Contrasting with that is the bleak landscape through the window. If he moves the phone around he'll see the images are more solid depending on where he points it, with the money swirling like a yawning maw in one corner.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Robert Cooper

"Keep in touch." Robert said idly, while checking his app. "Hm, interesting." He tried out a few different things, pointing it at people. Aiming it at his fellows there, then at the cash register, trying to compare how the app reacted to it. If he could use this app to measure someone's wealth or something, that might be handy. Then there was that one corner where the money seemed to gather. He briefly looked past the smart phone to see what was in the corner without all the money getting in the way.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Nothing in particular in that corner, except that the light seems to bend.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cerise Cooper

Cerise leans in over Robert's shoulder. "You should go poke it. Maybe it'll spit out some change."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Robert Cooper

Robert put the smartphone down. Before he was going to share this little tidbit, better start negotiations. "Alright. Now that it's the four of us, I suppose we should figure out if it's going to be 'the four of us'. I think it's in our shared interest to work together on this one. From what little information Ms. Poe was willing to give, it seems it'd be both safer and faster. For now, a straight up 25% division of these... tokens. That is, the tokens that we gather as a team. If some of us take some extra risks, put in some extra work, they reap the rewards. If someone has to pass on an opportunity, no hard feelings, but they don't get to take advantadge eitehr. But as long as you took part in the acquisition, even if you were less successful, you get your share. Does that sound... fair?" He looked around all the others.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Danielle Durant

Even split of the pot, huh? It sounded reasonable enough, and there was the fact that the Cooper siblings were liable to work together anyways if me and Chains refused. I still wasn't certain I had completely grasped what was going on here, but I knew that I preferred not to go into a 2 v. 2 or even a 2 v. 1 v. 1 situation if I didn't have to. Plus, it'd be easier to keep an eye on them this way. Just in case.

"Fair. If Chains is in too, I'll play ball."

For now, at least.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Allison Chains

"I'll agree. On two conditions. One, until all four of us have our thirteen, nobody goes about getting their wish granted and abandoning everyone. Second..." He offers a gloved hand forward to the center of the table. "I want to shake the hands of everyone I'll be working with. You can tell a lot about someone from how they shake hands." For those who do, they'll feel, for his frame, a very firm handshake, albeit no strain or aggression put forth into it. Meanwhile, with his other hand, he casually produces what at first looks like a cigar, but fails to match the typical look upon a second look. Considering the LED light up front when they start it up and lack of a flame, it's an e-cig alright.

Minor note that as far as I know it's not /illegal/ to vape at any fast food chain as long as you're not being obnoxious about it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cerise Cooper

Cerise looks at Allison's hand, then up to his face. She gives him a condescending smile and turns away, holding the brim of her hat and slipping out of her seat. "You all should get this in writing." She walks towards the corner with the bending light. "Anyway, keep on making your deals. I was gonna let Robert have first go at this, but now all those sweet sweet quarters are mine."

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 7, 2016

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Robert Cooper

"Very well then." Robert said, taking Allison's hand, and shaking it. It was a well practiced shake, with a well practiced smile. Practiced enough to hide the feelings, not practiced enough to hide the fact he was hiding them. Truth was, he didn't like the deal. He wanted to get out of, whatever this was, the moment he had his thirteen. But it would take too long. Besides, if they might have to deal with Poe trying to double cross them, it could be handy to have more people around. It'd be something to look forward to, whether betraying the other two and letting them get their own was worth the trouble. But at least Cerise would work together with him. Or at least he'd thought.

"I was getting to that, Cerise, if you would be so patient." He said in an exasperated voice. "But I wanted to make sure there was... agreement on the division of spoils first. If these two people had not wanted to collaborate with us, I wouldn't have wanted them to know about the light bending that is happening around there. Just in case they were prepared to fight over it. Now for peace's sake, could you sit down and shake the hand on this? It's in everyone's interest to work together on this. On your own, you are a lot more vulnerable. I don't want you to die, and I don't want to get in quarrels." He stood and got closer to her, keeping his voice low. "Come on, Cerise. Let's keep each other's back on this one. Not even thinking about these Ids, apparently this place is hunting central. People are going to come hunting here, and with what's at stake, one lone hunter is going to be REALLY easy pickings. Two is not much better there. You go out on it alone, they'll find you, take whatever of these things you've got and leave your corpse in a gutter somewhere."

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cerise Cooper

"I never said anything about going it alone. We'll work together so long as it's in our best interests, and once it's not in our best interests, we break off. No reason to pretend it'll go any other way just 'cause you have some silly accord. That's how you get hard feelings." Cerise pats Robert on the shoulder. "But if shaking Chains' hand really matters so much, little brother, I'll do it. Just for you." She turns back around and grips Allison's hand, squeezing just a little too tightly. "Partners. For now."

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 7, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Danielle Durant

Interesting. Maybe the Cooper siblings didn't get along as well as I thought. That, or Cerise was just being a pain in the rear end for her brother, which seemed the more likely answer. Ah, sibling love. I could understand that at least. Wasn't entirely certain what this whole light bending business was about, but I got the sense that it had something to do with Robert looking at his phone earlier. I'd need to take a closer look myself when I got the chance.

"If you're done making a big show out of a handshake..."

I give Allison a slight nod as I grab his hand, a simple and straightforward gesture without any hidden thoughts behind it. Because, y'know, it's a handshake. Pretty standard deal. Letting go, I turn my attention to Robert.

"...then what's going on about the corner? Something about quarters?"

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Robert Cooper

Robert grimaces a bit at Cerise. Yeah, that was Cerise alright. Of course she was right in what she said. She just wasn't right for saying it. Don't expose all the nice little lies society keeps going. It'll never forgive you for it. But at least Cerise had agreed. If Allison made that handshake his condition, then Robert would make sure to have her give a handshake.

"Looking through the app, a lot of the money that I see swirling around seems to congregate there. When I give it a closer look without the app, light seems to act funny around it. Much like it did around that token Poe had. So I wonder if we might get the first out of 52 relatively quick."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Allison Chains

Allison takes another puff, seemingly satisfied with the result. Hearing of the situation and their desire to investigate an object that they are in turn too anxious to actually investigate, he steps on over to the general area they're referring to. It seems he intends to put an end to this waffling.

"If it's so strange, just reach out and touch it. There's no reason to be so reserved about all this. The simplest and quickest means to learn about our situation is to tackle it head-on, and as a gentleman and a leader, I will take point where no one else will."

Taking a gloved hand, he attempts to find the trouble spot and, once he finds it, simply reaches out and makes to snatch up whatever is there.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

As soon as Allison reaches out he feels something off. The others see the image of his persona fade in for a moment over him and a flash of light and he's gone. Allison she's the whirlwind of bills appear before him and swallow him up.

The Nightmare

It's hard to tell what's happening right away. The bright colorful lights moving and flashing require Allison's eyes to adjust. He seems to be in a club, on stage. The lights are tastefully focused on the pole the stage extends to. The floor has money pilled up to to the edge of the stage. it shifts around like a sea of filthy lucre.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Allison Chains

Well this definitely isn't the humble burger emporium he was at mere moments ago. In fact this place looks like a hive of debauchery and poor decisions. With that in mind, he scans the horizon. Money as far as the eye can see, aside from the stage and a singular pole off in the distance. A gentleman's club of strange proportions indeed. His intuition tells him that stepping off the stage is a bad idea...although given that there's no immediate sign of the creature that haunts this place other than the possibility of it hiding under the bills, it seems center stage is the only real plan, especially given that he was alone in this matter.

...Alone? No, that wasn't quite true. He does have his new ally spirit with him, assuming the phone still works. All he has to do is open the application, take a quick scan of the horizon not unlike Robert did to find this in the first place, and approach the pole, ready to summon forth his companion at the next sign of trouble.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Cerise Cooper

"Boy, some people just want to keep all the fun for themselves, don't they?" Cerise says, looking at the space where Allison used to be. "Alas, poor Chains, we hardly knew ye." She approaches the corner, hoping to investigate the spot herself.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Danielle Durant

Can't say that I expected Allison to up and disappear on us like that. Jumping right in after him seemed like a terrible, terrible idea when we had no idea what was on the other side... but leaving him alone wasn't an option either. So, I follow up after Cooper One, reaching out towards the corner with a simple,

"Into the unknown then."

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Robert Cooper

"It seems caution is a trait more common to Law students then." Robert said with a wry smile. "I suppose we've already been rushing headlong into the unknown all day. Why stop now?" And he too reached for that corner.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

When Allison looks through the mind's eye lens of the app he only sees what is in front of him. He is immersed in the world it is meant to reveal. The others show up to see the gaudy scene themselves. Allison is already at the pole and when he gets there a set of poles shoot up from the floor to surround and cage him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

Robert Cooper

He arrived into the place, the wry grin vanishing from his face. Alright, that was it. If this wasn't real, he was clearly in a full break with reality. For a brief moment, he was blinded, blinking as the music filled his ears. When he caught vision, the first thing he noticed was the endless seas of money. Just a handful of those bills, if they were real, could make things a lot easier for him. He reached down. Was this real? He should just check. It would make things a lot easier, and he could take a little advance on his wish.

Because of this distraction, he noticed the poles appearing around Allison a fair bit later than the others.

• Locked thread