Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn it American Horror Story, I thought I could quit you, but that looks so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jumping on the shark craze a little late here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KVkpQMSjHY

Plus, Open Water did this premise (minus the rogue wave) a little over a decade ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWBRpZhk_vA

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I wouldn't say it's great but the idea is great. The first half is structured a bit like The Fourth Kind (though not nearly as creative), but suffers a lot from the crushing blandness of its yuppie lead couple. The second part plays out more like Grave Encounters 2, but again nowhere near as good. There's also a terrible and boring subplot about a cannibal redneck family.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Bad Ben is a FF movie on Amazon Prime and if you liked the first Paranormal Activity movie, you'll probably like this one. It's one of the few clones that does it right, despite it's problems.

It's also the only movie I know of where you'll get to see a guy use a selfie stick to record himself exorcising his house.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The Last Broadcast is back on Youtube. If you haven't seen it yet, take a look. The first time I saw it was ideal: I got home alone and turned on the TV past midnight, missed the first 10 mins and had no idea what I was watching and if it was real. That creeped me out. Yeah, and then there's final scene. :shrug:

But hey, 95% of it is well judged and effective.

E: Bought the DVD of BWP and I think the film holds up well. The director's commentary adds a lot and the extras flesh out the BWP mythos. You don't need to know the extra stuff but it does contribute.

Happy Halloween!

:spooky:

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Oct 30, 2016

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i said this in another thread but back around when it would've come out i caught it on ifc or something and thought it was real so that final scene was a huge mindfuck.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I thought the twist of The Last Broadcast was super dumb, liked everything else about the movie. My favorite scene is the cop talking about IRC.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

precision posted:

Goddamn it American Horror Story, I thought I could quit you, but that looks so good.

So I started watching this last night, about 4-5 episodes in and they aren't really doing anything interesting with the concept yet.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

MacheteZombie posted:

So I started watching this last night, about 4-5 episodes in and they aren't really doing anything interesting with the concept yet.

the change in format starts at ep6

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was looking for the home invasion scene from Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer on youtube but couldn't find it. Watching that movie again (there's a 4K restoration that's been screening in select cities), I forgot how little violence you actually see. Most is either after the fact, off-camera, or it goes down so fast, you barely have a chance to register it as it happens. The two goriest shots in the movie are a slow pan across a mutilated prostitute in a bathroom and Otis' decapitation, but even then, you only see the head, and you can only hear Henry cutting the head off in the tub, you never see him sawing into the body.

I'm not sure what this poster is from (it's dated 2012), but it captures the aesthetic and feel of Henry the way very few other images do.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

the change in format starts at ep6

I've been sticking with the show, and am super disappointed by the lack of creativity with the hidden cameras. Some of the angles are quite nice, but then there's also like 1000000000 angles they cut to and most are uninteresting.

Every character running with their camera phone in front of them if hilarious though. Probably my favorite detail in this back half of episodes.

The "I survive" part of the first half was a let down though. They didn't make it trashy enough at all. It should have felt like "Paranormal Witness" combined with "Forensic Files" but it just never gets there.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009
I read through this thread really quickly, but I can't remember if anyone mentioned Ghostwatch:

Wikipedia posted:

The 90-minute film was a horror story shot in a documentary style and appeared as part of BBC Drama's Screen One series. It involved BBC reporters performing a live, on-air investigation of a house in Northolt, Greater London, at which poltergeist activity was believed to be taking place.

I think you can find it on YouTube or Vimeo, but it may be broken up into different parts. I haven't seen the WNUF Halloween Special, but from the description it sounds like a comedy version of Ghostwatch.

In a similar vein, there's Special Bulletin:

Wikipedia posted:

In this movie, a terrorist group brings a homemade atomic bomb aboard a tugboat in the harbor of Charleston, South Carolina in order to blackmail the U.S. Government into disabling its nuclear weapons, and the incident is caught live on television. The movie simulates a series of live news broadcasts on the fictional RBS Network.

Another one like Special Bulletin is Countdown to Looking Glass:

Wikipedia posted:

The movie presents a fictional confrontation between the United States and the Soviet Union over the Strait of Hormuz, the gateway to the Persian Gulf. The narrative of the film details the events that lead up to the initial exchange of nuclear weapons, which was triggered by a banking crisis, from the perspective of an ongoing news broadcast.

While not specifically "found" footage, all of these have the same "this is really happening" feel, since they are portrayed as live news broadcasts.

Although Ghostwatch was creepy in a :ghost: kind of way, I think Special Bulletin and Countdown to Looking Glass are scarier, simply because they could really happen.

edit:

If you like your "found/real footage" with a side of comedy, check out Sex House, an Onion-produced reality show in the vein of Big Brother. Although "dark comedy" may be a better description.

ZoeDomingo fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 9, 2016

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You guys weren't kidding, Troll Hunter is the poo poo. One of the most fun and exciting found footage movies I've seen.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Spatulater bro! posted:

You guys weren't kidding, Troll Hunter is the poo poo. One of the most fun and exciting found footage movies I've seen.

Between Troll Hunter and AASB, found footage really works for more adventurous movies as much or more than straight horror.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Spatulater bro! posted:

The Frankenstein Theory is a similar (though lesser) movie in that vein.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

alansmithee posted:

The Frankenstein Theory is a similar (though lesser) movie in that vein.

I liked the setting of Frankenstein Theory. It was also pretty low key if I remember correctly.

Dyatlov Pass is another decent snow setting found footage flick. A bit off the rails and questionable effects for some people though.

ZoeDomingo
Nov 12, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

I think my favorite thing in that movie is how mundane the title character finds his job. The scene where he's filling out his required forms is hilarious.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

Between Troll Hunter and AASB, found footage really works for more adventurous movies as much or more than straight horror.

Definitely more. I posted about this probably on the first page, but the best found footage uses creative locations. Its so wasted when the whole movie takes place in some house a school or a warehouse or the even woods. If you're putting me in the shoes of the people in the movie than they should go someplace ridiculous that a normal person could never go. Troll Hunter and AASB are prime examples, but Europa Report is another one like that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I just watched The Borderlands. Man, what a letdown. The set-up is fine, the pay-off could have been great just because the concept is so bizarre, but just doesn't get from one to the other in an even slightly interesting way. The title also made me wish it would turn out to be a stealth adaptation of The House on the Borderland or something. This movie is what happens when people believe that the point of found footage horror movies is "unscripted" banter.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Definitely more. I posted about this probably on the first page, but the best found footage uses creative locations. Its so wasted when the whole movie takes place in some house a school or a warehouse or the even woods. If you're putting me in the shoes of the people in the movie than they should go someplace ridiculous that a normal person could never go. Troll Hunter and AASB are prime examples, but Europa Report is another one like that.
Seconding Europa Report, the trailer pitches it like a horror movie but it really isn't. Like yeah some tense stuff happens, but it's no scarier than, say, Apollo 13 (the Tom Hanks movie, not to be confused with Apollo 18, which is a found footage horror movie and I do recommend).
Europa Report really plays up the awe and wonder of space exploration, while still reminding you that space is huge and dangerous and does not give a poo poo if you gently caress up.

ZoeDomingo posted:

I read through this thread really quickly, but I can't remember if anyone mentioned Ghostwatch:

I think you can find it on YouTube or Vimeo, but it may be broken up into different parts. I haven't seen the WNUF Halloween Special, but from the description it sounds like a comedy version of Ghostwatch.

In a similar vein, there's Special Bulletin:

Another one like Special Bulletin is Countdown to Looking Glass:

While not specifically "found" footage, all of these have the same "this is really happening" feel, since they are portrayed as live news broadcasts.

Although Ghostwatch was creepy in a :ghost: kind of way, I think Special Bulletin and Countdown to Looking Glass are scarier, simply because they could really happen.

edit:

If you like your "found/real footage" with a side of comedy, check out Sex House, an Onion-produced reality show in the vein of Big Brother. Although "dark comedy" may be a better description.

Sex House is loving great (pun intended :v: ), I need to rewatch it.

On the topic of faux news broadcasts, the Dawn of the Dead remake included a faux news broadcast about the zombie outbreak and the collapse of society as an extra feature on the DVD release (but not the bluray). It's also on YouTube.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 15, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

On the topic of faux news broadcasts, the Dawn of the Dead remake included a faux news broadcast about the zombie outbreak and the collapse of society as an extra feature on the DVD release (but not the bluray). It's also on YouTube: https://youtu.be/ly7Laj8Yp6w

Not trying to get you in trouble or anything, you linking this reminds me: is linking to this sort of stuff considered :filez:? I had a moment in PYF recently that would've been a lot easier to explain had I just linked to the episode of the TV show on YouTube, but I was too chickenshit to link it.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 15, 2016

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MisterBibs posted:

Not trying to get you in trouble or anything, you linking this reminds me: is linking to this sort of stuff considered :filez:? I had a moment in PYF recently that would've been a lot easier to explain had I just linked to the episode of the TV show on YouTube, but I was too chickenshit to link it.

I'll edit my post just to be safe. I figured it wouldn't be a huge deal because it's an obscure special feature on the DVD of a 12 year old movie, but better safe than sorry, haha. If you could edit your quote too, that'd be sweet. :cheers:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

It's not files afaik.

GenChat regularly passes around youtube links to full movies. Usually obscure stuff tho so i wouldn't link to something released this year or in the past few. I'm sure a dvd extra from Dawn of the Dead is fine haha.

Now if it's something brand spanking new like a youtube of Arrival or something than ya, that will probably get shut down.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I've never seen that taken down.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

For some weird reason, I decided to give Marble Hornets another try a couple weeks ago, and I've been watching, like, 5-10 entries a night. I'm enjoying it a lot more now that it's all complete and put into one single channel along with the totheark entries.

There were several entries with a very unsettling atmosphere, and i think they very effectively built a good sense of dread and tension in quite a few spots. My main gripe is that anytime Operator/Slender Man is within twenty feet of the camera, it looks very, very silly.

I'm sure the ending will turf out completely, but it's almost kind of the nature of any long narrative that the ending cannot possibly live up to your expectations, and they almost always feel kind of disappointing.

I haven't seen the movie, but I haven't heard very much positive buzz on it. I'll probably watch it anyway out of a sense of completionism.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

It's not files afaik.

GenChat regularly passes around youtube links to full movies. Usually obscure stuff tho so i wouldn't link to something released this year or in the past few. I'm sure a dvd extra from Dawn of the Dead is fine haha.

Now if it's something brand spanking new like a youtube of Arrival or something than ya, that will probably get shut down.

Not like it's difficult for companies to pull down stuff they don't want on youtube

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

ZoeDomingo posted:

I think my favorite thing in that movie is how mundane the title character finds his job. The scene where he's filling out his required forms is hilarious.

I'd say that was one of my favorite elements too. That guy was so cool.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

Not like it's difficult for companies to pull down stuff they don't want on youtube

True.

Trollhunter has some great moments. Hans trying to lure the bridge troll out using three billy goats is hilarious.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

MacheteZombie posted:

Trollhunter has some great moments. Hans trying to lure the bridge troll out using three billy goats is hilarious.

Yes! I was laughing as I realized the reference they were setting up. And I was delighted that none of the characters pointed it out.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yes! I was laughing as I realized the reference they were setting up. And I was delighted that none of the characters pointed it out.

The stuff about the power lines and farmers being unable to stop predators because of Norwegian regulations was pretty funny too, but I'm not familiar enough with their politics to know how much of that is satire of Norwegian politics.

E: the new episode of American Horror story (ep9) was really good. Had a new character that was right up CineD's alley. It also made good use of the ff format.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 15, 2016

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

While I mostly enjoyed how Marble Hornets wrapped up in the last 10 episodes, what I ended up completely hating was the constant wet coughing and ragged, phlegmy breathing. It actually got bad enough that I had to stop listening on headphones. I'm really not so delicate when it comes to human noises, but holy Christ it was just never ending and it started making nauseous.

It was part of the story they were trying to tell and everything, but it became too much fairly quickly.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Marble Hornets should have been about half of its length and somewhere near the end of season 2 it becomes abundantly clear they have no endgame.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I agree, but that's also true of probably 90% of all scripted serial entertainment.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
I just want to show some love for The Tunnel since I saw it got dumped on a little earlier. Maybe I'm looking at it from a different perspective since I'm a huge RPG nerd and consider it an excellent example of a clan Nosferatu vampire gone feral :v:

The opening interview with the homeless man sets up a very traumatizing creature, though the subsequent interviews with the main cast as part of the documentary portion was hit or miss for me. The parts of them listening to the audio and reacting was decent acting. The footage of the event itself was pretty good. A very creepy monster which you never really get a good look at. A lot of people give a movie poo poo for this, but I like that aspect of the unknown. Your imagination fills in the gaps and makes for a more terrifying monster.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

MacheteZombie posted:

The stuff about the power lines and farmers being unable to stop predators because of Norwegian regulations was pretty funny too, but I'm not familiar enough with their politics to know how much of that is satire of Norwegian politics.

E: the new episode of American Horror story (ep9) was really good. Had a new character that was right up CineD's alley. It also made good use of the ff format.

AHS went for broke with the final two episodes this season, but botched their Investigation Discovery pastiche by being waaay less trashy than a real ID show, their ghost hunter pastiche by being way less stupid, and their "it's not found footage anymore!" moment by redoing a shot they'd already done better like 47 times over the course of the season. I appreciate that the resolution is the reverse of The Ring 2/Orphan but go all the way and drop a I am your loving mommy if you're gonna do it. There's a great 4 hour mini series trapped in the bloated, dumped in the river corpse of this season, and it needs a lot more of the dickhead Ryan Murphy self insert character in it IMO

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Is it all done? If so it's time to binge.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Last night was the season finale, haven't watched it yet myself.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah it's done and probably better as a binge than it was week to week. I watched the last two episodes last night. I'll be very surprised if you don't agree about not-Ryan Murphy and especially the Investigation Discovery bit.

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 18, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ep. 10 is closer to how ep. 1-5 should have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah it's done and probably better as a binge than it was week to week. I watched the last two episodes last night. I'll be very surprised if you don't agree about not-Ryan Murphy and especially the Investigation Discovery bit.

Not Ryan Murphy is the producer guy right? What a great character.

Also the guy that does the narration for naked and afraid does the narration for some of ep 10.

• Locked thread