Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
There's a lot I haven't seen, but I have this weird attraction to the genre despite so much of it being plain bad. There's a couple cardinal rules you have to keep to sustain the suspension of disbelief: 1. Always have a reason the cameras are rolling. Far too many have a character piss everyone off by filming when they have a hundred better things to do, and are often told stuff didactically. 2. Never make the "found" footage's finding feel implausible. If your ending has the final character drop the camera and get eaten in the monster's lair, how the hell are we watching this?? The Last Exorcism blows an otherwise great film by breaking this one.

I really appreciate when films can come up with creative ways of using the camera, such as the aforementioned Chronicle with the telekinetic camera angles. The Taking of Deborah Logan towards the end has one of the more believable cases of a camera's night vision replacing lost flashlights, and putting us in the protagonist's eyes. The House October Built, about a group of fools seeking out the most extreme haunted houses in the country and finding trouble for it has this incredibly creepy scene where someone breaks into their RV while they're asleep and starts silently filming them with their own camera. Grave Encounters 2 pretends to be a serious FF film, but is actually a tongue in cheek satire of the genre, culminating in the ghosts holding the cameras.

On the topic of non horror ff, how is End of Watch, the one that's a cop drama? I remember hearing mixed reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

didn't the WNUF Halloween Special do just that strategy at a VHS collector con?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Talking about atypical Found Footage, and bodycams, what is the consensus on Hardcore Henry another non horror film I haven't watched but heard a lot about. I mean, I would assume the conceit of literally seeing through a cyborg's eye-camera still counts as a FF technique, and I got the impression that was pure sci-fi action.

Also, unrelated, but several people have been recommending the Grave Encounters films. Just a heads up, if you go into part 2 expecting a sincere, straightforward horror film, you're gonna have a bad time. It's a very deadpan satire of the whole sub-genre that gets pretty ridiculous at times.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I ended up watching about half of The River when it was on. The doll episode was decent, and based on a real place in Mexico. For the horror october challenge, I just watched Mexico Barbaro literally in the last few hours, and one of the 8 segments based on Mexican folklore was about this island as well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Seriously, if you can't figure out they're deliberately taking the piss out of the sub genre In GE2 by the climax where the friggin ghosts start holding the cameras I don't know what to tell you...

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Spatulater bro! posted:

If you're implying the ending of The Blair Witch Project is weak, I will fight you.

If anything, it's the film's strongest part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

kinda surprised by how disappointing WNUF Halloween Special was. the whole "VHS copy of a cheesy 80s local news footage of a haunted house" thing had a lot of promise, but they filled it with way too many fake commercials, killing the pacing and rendering the payoff inconsequential. the frequency of the commercials got to a point where the repetition of the title card of "you're now watching the WNUF Halloween Special [thunder] [scream]" stops being funny.

other than Ghostwatch, which I've mentioned earlier, are there any other similar formatted shows?

Without Warning is kinda a similar idea, where CBS tried to ape Orson Wells' War of the Worlds a few decades back. It's not very good though.

• Locked thread