Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Lake Mungo and The Tunnel make a great double-feature. Both Australian found footage horror involving talking head style interviews, though Lake Mungo is a much slower burn.

Choco1980 posted:

On the topic of non horror ff, how is End of Watch, the one that's a cop drama? I remember hearing mixed reviews.
End of Watch is similar to The Chernobyl Diaries in that it's not actually found footage, but is filmed in a similar style. It's alright but not great.

I really wish FF would branch out to more genres like that though; I think End of Watch would've been better had the cameras been actually in the scenes, like the whole thing filmed via police body cams. But I'd love to see someone bring a camera into a magic fantasy world, or into space. I actually have a sci-fi script I'm trying to get produced where a bunch of hikers get taken by an alien ship, and the only reason anyone knows what happened to them is because their footage falls from space. Once I get paid for another script that's being developed, I might finance it myself because it's relatively low budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I feel like laptop/webcam horror is almost a different subgenre, though I guess there's little difference from a webcam aside from being relatively stationary. I still don't think I've seen it done effectively for the duration of an 80+ minute film.

The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger was V/H/S's weakest segment but still had a pretty good buildup of tension. My problems with The Den are mainly characters being stupid (don't use your laptop that you know is hacked to go looking for answers about your hacker), and its silly "gently caress you for enjoying horror" ending that takes the narrative out of found footage. Otherwise the content itself is pretty solid. I have similar problems with Unfriended; although the "I Never" scene is pretty well done, the characters are idiots for not just saying "let's just get offline and talk tomorrow guys" and its goofy attack-the-camera jumpscare ending. Also I just can't find Haunted Facebook scary.

Choco1980 posted:

Also, unrelated, but several people have been recommending the Grave Encounters films. Just a heads up, if you go into part 2 expecting a sincere, straightforward horror film, you're gonna have a bad time. It's a very deadpan satire of the whole sub-genre that gets pretty ridiculous at times.
Yeah, if the filmmaker's wannabe Saw film doesn't tip you off that it's satire, the "Vicious Brothers" that directed the movies being revealed as interns in a broom closet office should hammer it home.

I've shot at Riverview before, it's a legit abandoned mental hospital and it's creepy as hell there. I sat by myself in a dark boiler room recording ambient sound for several minutes with a boom mic and a pair of headphones, so every sound was amplified. :spooky:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I also really dig The Poughkeepsie Tapes because it scratches my trash itch like no other. It's a totally lovely movie though, I just like it.
It is pretty bad, yeah, but it does have a small handful of effective scenes. The interview with the woman at the end where she keeps asking "What do you want me to say?" is the creepiest part, because it makes you realize how psychologically broken she was by this guy rather than just showing a bunch of 2edgy4me torture.

• Locked thread