Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

If anything I think their very endings are a little weak, but that's a little bit systemic of "found footage" as a genre, and dates back to 'The Blair Witch Project'. Some found footage movies handle it better than others, though, notably 'As Above, So Below', 'Europa Report', 'Apollo 18', V/H/S 1 and 2, and 'Grave Encounters 2'.

Europa Report's narrative twist where the documentary portion ends and catches up with present time mid-story is one of my all-time favorite uses of FF.

BBC's Voyage to the Planets is done mockumentary style and is a surprisingly good drama in a similar vein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jenny Angel posted:

One of my found footage dream movies is some shitheaded but endearing kids sneaking out on Purge night in an attempt to capture sick murder footage that they can cut into Vines the next day

I thought REC2 handled this admirably, when the police footage stops and the narrative switches to a group of shithead teens setting off fireworks on a rooftop.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
In high school I made a movie where I had to track down a bomb hidden in my school, but I failed, so the ending was the bomb blowing up. I spliced in footage of a building exploding from some action movie, followed by the blast wave leveling the city from Terminator 2, followed by the planet blowing up from the beginning scene of Star Trek 6. It owned.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Didn't he actually get a musical guest spot on SNL once, in-character? Or was he hosting as himself and the character was the musical guest?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The 3rd act of Devil's Pass is goofy as hell but it's pretty good up until then. Bad CGI Gollums and a magic caveman Stargate kinda ruined it for me, plus like a 10 minute conversation in front of it that kills the pacing of the end. It has its moments though.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Megan is missing is like 90 percent boring garbage and ten percent the director jacking off gently caress that movie

It's also one of the worst-made movies I've ever seen and not in the funny entertaining way. But I'd wager it's way more than 10% of the director jacking off.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I mean proportionately the final scene can't be much more of the running time

Did you include the scene where a 14 year old gives a graphic description of a blowjob she gave when she was 9? That tacks on at least a few more minutes of the director jerkin' it.

• Locked thread