Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spatulater bro! posted:

I've been trying to think of notable non-horror found footage, and I just thought of one. Harmony Korine's Trash Humpers.

This is a bizarre, unsettling movie that I've been strangely fascinated by ever since I first saw it. It's composed of grainy VHS footage of a group of "elderly" people going around doing really strange, sick stuff. I put elderly in quotes because they're actually people wearing makeup/masks (think Jackass/Bad Grandpa). It's a surreal experience.

Interestingly, it almost ended up being "found footage" in the most literal way:

I mean, I would certainly call Trash Humpers a horror film, I don't know any other way to explain scenes like the pancake dinner.

A while ago SMG talked about Abandoned Grain Elevator and I actually sat and watched the whole thing. It's actually kind of great, except for the parts near the end where they attempt to make it an actual "horror film".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jonTL7R57A

And seconding that The Last Exorcism is phenomenal. I still love "banana bread sermon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension got put on Prime and, as a shameless apologist for that series (especially the first one, either the second or third one, I honestly can't remember which one is good, and The Marked Ones, which is great) it's still really dull. It shows a lot and hardly tells anything and just ugh, it was so dumb.

e: And I'll also be the crazy guy who goes to bat for REC 3. I loved it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Spatulater bro! posted:

Is Ghost Dimension the 4th in the series? I loved the first one, liked the second, and hated the third. Then I stopped paying attention to the series.

No, Ghost Dimension is the sixth. 4 is really bad (XBox!) and The Marked Ones was released between 3 and 4 I think?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've read some really well-argued posts about how bad REC3 was, but it's like reading a novel in a foreign language. I know just enough of the language to know it's making sense, but not enough to still really comprehend it. In fact I think I'm gonna watch it again right now, just thinking about the end of the first act when the "found footage" film actually stops and it becomes a "regular" film I'm like "uh huh, that's my poo poo".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Books On Tape posted:

If you haven't seen Troll Hunter, see it now. Great unique concept and great effects.

Oh yeah, it's absolutely the tits.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Books On Tape posted:

Long Pigs - A decent mockumentary about a filmaking duo who somehow gets a cannibal serial killer to allow them to follow him around as he "works". The dude playing the killer is well cast. He's certainly creepy but at the same time he's also just a normal guy. Worth a watch.

Speaking of which, I can't believe nobody has mentioned Man Bites Dog yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Popelmon posted:

Speaking of Man Bites Dog, I watched a very similar (killed is followed by camera crew) movie set in New York a while ago. Anybody remember the name? The killer was a British dude and in the end it becomes clear the the whole movie is just a statement against talking in movie theaters.

Not Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon?

Speaking of fake documentaries, The Fourth Kind was quite a bit better than it probably should have been. Especially that one scene. You know the one. poo poo that was creepy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zenguitarman posted:

Didn't see it brought up yet, but does anyone remember that found footage horror (?) movie set in the war in Afghanistan? I remember I really wanted to like it but it ended up being super anticlimactic and aliens

Are you thinking of Monsters: Dark Continent? I've watched that but can't even remember if it was good or not.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure every good found footage movie other than like, the first REC maybe, question mark?, all have like 10-20% on RT because critics haaaaaaaate FF movies.

e: or maybe I have it backwards, for reference I just looked up The Last Exorcism and it's at 74%, but has a 32% audience rating

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man Bites Dog is satire, not horror, but that's nitpicking really.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

This question is probably better suited for the general Horror thread, but could it be both? (See also: Shaun of the Dead, Cabin in the Woods, maybe Funny Games)

That's fair, it can be both. Naked is another example of a film being both horror and satire.

quote:

Johnny: Have you ever thought, right, but you don't know, but you may have already lived the happiest day in your whole fuckin' life and all you have left to look forward to is fuckin' sickness and purgatory?

Sophie: Oh, poo poo. I just live from day to day.

Johnny: I tend to skip a day now and again, if you know what I mean.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Goddamn it American Horror Story, I thought I could quit you, but that looks so good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You can stop watching Marble Hornets at the end of season 2, because nothing after that will satisfy or even entertain you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

Hey, found footage friends, guess what I just spent my B&N gift cards on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGm9o37BNjM

For anyone who hasn't seen this, the full movie is on YouTube as well. It's really good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

A good experiment and a bad game. Siren series has a strong FF vibe and is a much better game.

The Siren games are excellent, in fact I'd say they're all better than any Silent Hill bar 2.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yes! Thank you.

Not even 10 seconds in and I'm laughing my fuckin' head off.

Too bad the music wasn't better, because Garth Brooks doing Chris Gaines was decades ahead of its time and legit brilliant.

Except, you know, the songs just weren't any good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I gotta think the awful songs are part of the joke. I mean, look how the thing starts off. OTOH, he did legitimately put out an album. I wonder how they took that when he pitched this idea, did he go to the record label, put his dick on the table and say "I'm Frank Zappa now!"

I think you're right, which only makes it funnier that his fans took the Chris Gaines thing entirely (too) seriously.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not 100% sure as I'm not a Chris Gaines scholar, but Garth Brooks seems like a pretty down to earth and funny (well maybe in a dad humor way) guy. I assume he was taking the piss for the most part and it wasn't just like, his ego run amok. But he also had an exceedingly lame idea of what a cool rock star was, which is what I find funny.

Who knows though. The whole thing has always been sort of baffling to me.

At the time, he said that Chris Gaines was a reaction to Nirvana. The band, Nirvana. So. There you go, question mark?

e: Goodnight Mommy was like the most awesome horror movie I watched last year, what are you guys smoking because it's clearly better than what I have

precision fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 19, 2016

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Found Footage Horror Music Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMbPbFz8h0

Sometimes I'm pretty sure that's the most unsettling video I've ever seen. I fuckin love that band.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Never seen Liars (to my great shame, it's destroying me) but the most I've ever seen an audience hate a band was when Deerhunter opening for NIN and Brandon Cox was wearing a cheerleader's outfit. "Who the gently caress are these guys?" time a million. I wanted to harm people.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

You should've been there when Peaches opened for NIN.

Holy poo poo, that would have been great. I saw her back around 2006 and she was a delight.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, They Were Wrong So We Drowned is still my favorite album of theirs, and yeah at the time everyone was like "this is awful, it's just uncomfortable noise!" I also dig that it's a concept album about the Salem witch trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

This is excellent poo poo, reminds me of Wolf Eyes (though it looks like The Body was around first, so vice versa)

• Locked thread