Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Is the armor company reporting and deploying with the American or Ukrainian force?

Also, 2nd Platoon, D Company, 2nd Battalion, 69th Armor Regiment checking in. Something wrong with our bloody tanks today.

Ed: not sure I understand the deployment map. Is everyone deploying together in the lower right corner?

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Well I don't know about you but I'm prepared to follow the orders of Glorious Leader.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Go for it, we've only got three days to figure out a plan. IMO we should get the tanks into hull-down firing positions around Marukhy to exploit the Abrahm's range and let the russkies get stuck in with the rest of the main force approaching from the other side of the junction.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think getting our armor onto the high ground at Marukhy is our best bet to maintain control of the junction without a suicide run at it. Following ASR Sailor to where it turns and then going up the hill should leave us with a good field of fire. We'll be screened from the right by Ribeye Woods and the general mess of woods and creeks north of MSR Trump.

Thoughts?

Edit: let me be a little clearer why I think this is worthwhile. We can lay up our tanks there and have them hull down and quiet until they have several juicy targets. Knocking out a few T90s in rapid succession from what looked like a clear sector, followed by contact reports with tanks that the Reds don't think we have, could start a morale breakdown on their side.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 2, 2016

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

New uniforms for maximum appearing sort of like Marines??

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Are you 100% sure you want to piecemeal out the tanks like that?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Technically we're both under a completely different American armored formation than either the American infantry or the Ukrainian mechanized, so I think any orders to us are more like requests. And there's nothing like a confused NATO chain of command to make a confrontation with the Russians more fun!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

2nd Platoon, 2nd Company, Ad Hoc Armor Whatever

All units move fast along Route Purple on MSR Trump. At the junction with ASR Richman, the M1A2 and Oplot will turn left proceed fast partway up the hill on ASR Richman continuing to follow Route Purple and take up the marked positions and facings. Oplot uses the purple position and facing, M1A2 the light blue. Both tanks will use the hill elevation to ensure that they are clear of each other's fire lines in the direction of X-Ray Junction.

Meanwhile, 2nd Platoon's T-64 will break off and continue moving Fast (use secret Ukrainian NOS kit at this time) along Route Hot Pink to follow the Ukrainian 1st Company, then take up the marked position and facing between the Field of Dreams and Junction Wood.

See you at T+5, or in the afterlife if the Russians reach the junction early.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

No thanks, this is more fun.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hey uh, I just had a thought: if we're up against frontline Russian mechanized infantry, doesn't that mean they're all going to be in tracked BMPs that aren't going to bog down like this?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

2nd Platoon, 2nd Company, Ad Hoc Armored Whatever

Too much butt on the road ahead of me, going to use my big boy tracks and take the platoon offroad to reach my designated firing position. Fast move at each individual tank's best speed - I know that Oplot is a lot faster than the other two.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 8, 2016

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Possibly. On the one hand, it could mean that they're indecisive and constantly tinkering with their movement orders and their plans, which is good for us since it means it's more likely they're gonna be loving up. On the other hand, it could mean they've spotted something (Such as 1st Company HQ) and are shifting their orders to adjust.

But honestly, there's no sense worrying about it-the Russians will do whatever it is they decide to do, and we'll do what we need to do.

As to when the turn is run, I vote for running it tonight, if anything. 1st Co wants blood!

My guess is that they're tinkering. If it was some obvious change (ie, halt to fire) it wouldn't generate many more posts than we're doing.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I think the entire deployment plan for 1st/2nd co is DOA and 1st co is probably going to be occupying a mass grave very shortly. dtkozl secret contingency plan goooo

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hey guys, that tank is nowhere near MSR Eagle. It's sitting off MSR Trump at the NW corner of the Ballpark. It just has long sightlines. Unless there's a second tank I didn't see in the video.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

dtkozl posted:

Do we not have anyone with the game here? I've spent the last 20 minutes trying to figure out who is where and the video jumps around so much and is so zoomed out it really sucks. I need someone I can talk with who can actually see this stuff.

edit: who's tanks are those?

Mine are the three off-road SW of MSR Trump (2nd plat). The two still on the MSR parallel to mine belong to the other guy.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'll park up all three of my tanks in that little hedge line on the SE edge of ASR Richman and see if we can trade back a T90.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

2nd platoon, 2nd company, Ad Hoc Armored Whatever

Oplot and M1A2 follow the purple path to re-join the axis of the convoy and start firing on that T90. The T-64 will peel off and head into half moon copse along the light blue path.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 13, 2016

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Chunky Monkey posted:

This is what I had in mind, the T-64 clone is probably poo poo and wont see anything but the Abrams can wreck a T-90 easy. Anyone have a good view from ground level there? I'm thinking the Abrams can pull off to the right as soon as it would have LoS on those positions, and the T-64 clone can continue up a ways until it can actually see anything.

That's actually my T64. Yours is on the other side of the map.

Ed: or do you mean the Bulat?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

dtkozl posted:

Tank guys Check out this:

The X tanks should halt and face the enemy tank. Maybe give the two in the back a hunt order, but you don't want to be moving when the other tank can see you.

Does this game benefit from turning out the tank commanders or do they get better vision buttoned? If it is the former, turn out the commanders!

GI posted screencaps before that showed all three tanks on the left are screened by trees and need to reposition to have a shot at spotting the T90.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Good call, I'll peel left and gun it. The other guy's tanks are further up than mine.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

2nd Plat, 2nd co, Ad Hoc Armored Whatever

M1A2 and Oplot move (regular) on purple path to the indicated location. T64 move (fast) on the blue path to the indicated location.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

dtkozl posted:

Oldest man that is fine for now but that area of triangle woods is far too big for you to see through, and the purple won't be of use to anyone. Eventually you should work your way to the south west tip of triangle woods and put a couple of barrels towards field of dreams, im worried the russians are going to use that field as a highway.

Just fyi for everyone, if you look at the grided map, those grid boxes are roughly 200m squared. You probably are going to have difficulty seeing through 50 meters of forest, so please keep in mind just how massive this map is and plan accordingly.

I want to get a better idea of where the rest of the tanks are before I commit Real Tanks (tm) into that big open field

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

dtkozl posted:

That is the wrong attitude to take and I am not telling you to go into the open field, just to cover it with your guns.

It is the wrong attitude because it is infinitely harder to react to enemy armor. If you wait for them to pop up and then move into LOS to shoot, the fact that you are moving and they are not generally means THEY will get the first shot and that generally means they win the engagement. Furthermore, if we wait for armor to pop up on field of dreams it means we are probably going to take more losses in terms of infantry. They need to react to us, not us to them. You can safely get to where I'm telling you to go, there is absolutely no reason to be a shrinking violet about it.

Calm your pants, we should find out how far they've pushed after this turn goes.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Well, those aren't BMPs.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

2nd plat, 2co, ad hoc armored whatever

T64 fast move along the blue path, M1A2 and Oplot fast move along the purple path. If A Company or the T64 makes enemy contact, switch M1A2 and Oplot to regular move order if it looks like that will give them a better chance to shoot. Otherwise I'd like them slightly NW of the junction of ASR Beggar and ASR Tinker so they can (ideally) see down ASR Tinker as well as cover the hill-crest of Field of Dreams. If that's not possible, prioritize vision of the hill-crest.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

It seems like we need to dislodge those tanks in order to accomplish the overall objective of getting the convoy out.

Q: My M1A2 and Oplot are a bit back from the line of contact and screened by trees. Should I have them advance in, or swing south toward Toby Wood so we can get some eyes on Rabbit Field? I'm a little concerned we're going to get out-flanked from that direction even if we push the Russians who are already in FoD.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

dtkozl posted:

Fight the tanks that are 100 meters from our troops and that we know are there first, worry about the "flanks" later. 2nd Company is supposed to take care of that problem in any case.

I agree but if armor shows up right here in the next five minutes we're going to have a bad day:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Merry Marauder posted:

Maybe some of the 2 Co Weps ATGMs or an American Jav team or two can go cover it, then, whilst you dogfight.

Perhaps from that spur of woods behind your arrow.

I keep forgetting Americans have awesome Javelins instead of garage sale AT-4s... they can probably cover that corner adequately from where they're already dismounted.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Chunky Monkey posted:

I'm thinking I'll hold position overlooking X-ray for now, if no one has any objections (excluding the t-64 that is either going to get it's poo poo pushed in, or push in some Russkie poo poo).

Speaking of this, let's get my other two tanks up with the T64s and then push all four of them forward at the same time.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Is giving the T64s a hunt order going to be effective here? I'd rather we not move too far forward at least until the other tanks get into position with them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

OK. Operational question: do we need to dislodge these enemy tanks ASAP and take control of the crossroads so that the convoy can use it, or are we going to take a defensive posture on the spot we're already on for the time being?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

2plat, 2co, ad hoc armored whatever

M1A2 and Oplot: continue previous move order. T64: hunt forward slowly but do not come out of the depression.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Kind of want to push my entire tank platoon across the crossroads, have the M1A2 and Oplot take up the overwatch position I originally marked, and shove my T64 into that APC contact in Fist Forest. Good idea/bad idea?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I'm thinkin of punching my oplot and m1 up along asr tinker and then breaking them through the trees into FOD after ~500 meters. Thoughts?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

2nd platoon, 2nd company, ad hoc armored whatever

M1A2 and Oplot reverse ~30 meters to back up out of this depression.

The Oldest Man fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 29, 2016

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

No one else is moving to cut them off from that position they were just holding that allows them to shoot into the crossroads. If someone with infantry would like to put in some move orders, I'll change mine.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FINE you guys are no fun

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Holy gently caress that is a lot of arty landing in that field :stare:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Willie Tomg posted:

I'd like to begin an open ended discussion regarding three things:

--what convoy assets we have and who controls them since GI is apparently giving them pity orders in our gutlessness.
--what fire support and air support assets we have and who controls them since GI is apparently not giving them any orders whatsoever in our gutlessness. i'll take 'em if nobody else will.

I believe this is all pthighs since he's the American company commander and hasn't delegated. Am I wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Reminder of our current operational objectives:

"We have two objectives, both of which require us to defeat any attempt by the Russians to either overwhelm individual positions or to saturate all our positions at once. We must hold the junction of MSR Eagle and MSR Trump, labeled junction X Ray. We must secure an exit for our forces to the town of Krovets along MSR Eagle or ASR Tinker. Doing so will require our forces to establish and sustain control over the approaches to the town of Bystryk. We must deny use of X Ray to the enemy. We must establish and sustain control of the areas labeled Junction Wood, Field of Dreams, Fist Forest, Chetah Forest, and Rabbit Field in order to ensure the complete freedom of movement to forces traveling between Bystryk and the exit along ASR Tinker. If possible, a secondary western exit along MSR Eagle will be taken but this objective is secondary to all others. Unnecessary casualties are to be avoided at all costs."

• Locked thread