Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Setting aside the flexibility of the Stinger teams, I can confirm that Bradleys--while fragile as poo poo--punch way WAAAAYYYY above their weight class. They're a credible answer to anything smaller than a heavy tank with its ablative armor and missile countermeasures intact.

If we're against something that could be reasonably construed as a modern-day Russian spearhead (so: BMP3's and T90's and the fire/air support that comes with that) those BMP2s and T64's will barely function as distractions while the main Russian attack continues to mow through whatever defensive positions we settle on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm just a lowly whatever-the-gently caress it is that commands platoons, but I got open ended Reckons about the scenario if anyone wants those.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Today kicked the crap outta me so I'll hold off for a night's rest and morning coffee before weighing in, but using JJ's post as a rough springboard:

quote:

try to race the Russians to the road, push them off and hold while the trucks pass behind us.

This will get us killed unless GI has significantly gimped the Russian comp. We're tough. We are not a "go punch-for-punch with a motorized division" tough.

quote:

wait for our trucks and bundle up, then blow through in one push (not my fav)

It's not my fav either because Russians have some pretty interesting ways of dealing with enemies entrenched in tough defensive positions. To wit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YegxUegrI_4

...and then keyholed T-90s ping anything larger than infantry from the other side of the map as we try to get out from under that shitshow.

quote:

I don't like it much; generally speaking all they have to do is get fire on the road, while we have to get fire on every position from which they could fore on the road.

Agreed. Which is why I'm really really liking the idea of throwing our infantry into the forests in ASR Tinker and westward and hold them like angry motherfucking dogs performing the great granddaddy of defenses-in-depth while the Abrams screen anyone trying to get rowdy flanking through MSR Trump and Eagle, making a special point to piss on the graves of anyone who dies with a full magazine/rocket tube.

How that's done specifically depends on things that may or may not be forthcoming like elevation maps or spiritual knowledge gleaned in sleep jeezy petes im tired

e; I really like JJ's idea of a "What To Do When poo poo Goes Down" flowchart and have a couple notions in that direction already but I'm not getting any more coherent by the minute, here

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
In broad strokes Baccaruda's map conforms to my thoughts as well. Just a few things that jumped out:

Were I a Russian FO, I would arty the gently caress out of and back into Ribeye on general goddamned principle even before confirming contact in it. If those same assets were in, say, Half Moon Copse they could arrive more safely and stealthily in a more unassuming position and any armor would at least have to move up to Putin's Grove for LoS which would at least be in range of the ATGMs and probably in the open for the air support.

T-90s also have preposterous range that is Most Of The Map and Trump is a straight shot both ways, so I get a sinking feeling that if we don't achieve superior volume of fire (and I can't imagine we will) that anything travelling on Trump will lead a short-but-exciting life.

I really do believe the way forward is defend the southwest in depth with Eagle as the northernmost front, put most of our effort into not being seen and consider them spending an airstrike on a single fireteam holding up their advance in Fist Forest as a resounding tactical victory. We don't need to beat them. We just need to make their advance a miserable proposition. They have the pressure of a timetable to open up the road. We don't.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 2, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
If you think Ukraine wants/needs modernized uniforms then your mindframe for playing Ukrainian infantry is all kinds of messed up imo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
related: dtkozl I can commit to some serious grognard nonsense ITT and in roll20 from about 8-9 hours after this post I'm making right here generally all through the end of tuesday if you're looking for underling/drunken incompetent feedback.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
RIP brakeless. You're doing God's work: performing this part of the skit in combat mission LP form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTQYEkIvN2M&t=59s

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

JosefStalinator posted:

Do we have general orders for 1st company yet? I want to do 1st company, 2nd platoon's orders but I wanna see what my commander wants first!

Not that I'm aware of ITT :(

I'm gonna put in provisional best-fit orders per battalion in a couple hours.

(e; never mind acebuckeye's in roll20 right now and boy howdy we got the peach job of the infantry i tell you what)

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 6, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
1st Co, 3rd Platoon. Orders for cool dudes with rude 'tude!!!

1. Deploy in a column along the road, behind the other BTRs, but ahead of the T-64 bringing up the rear. The red dot with yellow arrow pointing to it should be close.

2. Pause for 20 seconds. The picture says 30 seconds, for which I am sorry but I thought better of it. It's probably not a big deal. You could split the difference at 25 and I'd never know. Just pause for some time, please, so the traffic jam ahead can clear just a little so we can

3. GO FAST LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL. Floor it. Turn off the road where indicated and cut across that field going to the indicated path behind the wooded area. Keep going fast even though a BTRs suspension while travelling offroad at speed will guarantee at least a few lost teeth and bitten tongues. Keep going west a bit on the path, as indicated in the picture.

4. everyone dismount and fan into the forest. STAY THE gently caress AWAY FROM THE TREELINE. sorting out the headache of who goes where to do what will be our reward for surviving a charge across open ground towards an enemy that totally outguns us.

e; oh my that PNG is quite large isn't it

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 6, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

this is amazing

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
welp, so much for a lighting fast rollout :(

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Merry Marauder posted:

Man, when I saw that smoke come down, I thought some Russians were going to come a-yoloin' down the highway as a spoiling force. That would have been fun.

That we have basically no recourse if they do this (or, heavens loving forfend) put fire support on the single main road out of our spawn location is going to continually give me conniption fits until 30 seconds after 1st and 2nd co are in position :gonk:

e; i'm really surprised the BTRs are having such a tough time on Trump, though. The mess in the south makes sense, kinda, but on the main road? like: just drive homies. Drive on the main road. Its easy, I do it myself more days than not.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
1st Co. 3rd Platoon Orders:

ORDERS END

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Good news: 1st co 3rd platoon is in a pretty good spot to hold the north of the town, can probably shift away in good order.

Bad news: *flails arms wildly, vaguely up the column*

We are NOT going to make Junction. Not up Trump, we aren't.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dtkozl posted:

These guys are really moving slow.

not empty quoting :smith:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dtkozl posted:

I think once you get A company out of strykers and into triangle, ready to move on fist that will be the time to release the drones. I imagine we are going to see a bit of a meeting engagement at that point.

1st Co has a drone asset to itself iirc and, counterpoint: we should use it now because the plan--from 1st Co's perspective--is pretty well done and we need to know how done. Worst case scenario our drone gets shot down the minute it arrives and we learn that their AA is stifling, cueing us to guerilla fight over Exit Alpha with TOWs, AGS and mortars and it's probably best to learn that sooner rather than later.

At absolute minimum we need to time it with the air support we're getting in a few minutes.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dtkozl posted:

Cool. Once we get some good jpegs I want you to ignore previous orders and get some tubes pointing downrange. It looked like maybe the Bulat could see junction but since they are right there we should get them in position to save what we can of 1st co and then we will think about relocating.

1st co what do you think, pop smoke with the btrs, dismount with the infantry and run west?

pop smoke, possibly if it doesn't take too long or interrupt current movement. dismount?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dtkozl posted:

The problem is those btrs are moving really slow, at their current pace we would lose all them to AT rounds. If they all pop smoke and men start running they will get in cover hopefully while the tanks are still shooting at the btrs. If we give the btrs new orders to turn, they will just stop and sit there for a bit before moving again, causing the same result as the first scenario.

Also once we get pictures, can get get a pic of the enemy tank position?

setting well aside the fact that i really really really really really really passionately feel that stopping movement in a wide open field to get out of a vehicle and hoof it whist being schwacked by 120mm shells and running oh-so-slowly to a place of limited tactical significance exhausted as well as under strength is a Poor Life Choice, Ace just looked it up and while Russian BTRs get smoke, Ukranian ones apparently do not.

as far as tank positions, here's Ace's extrapolation based on the casualties we've taken so far:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Their only asset right now is movement. Dismounting troops will get caught in secondary explosions. 1st Co consensus is that we'd rather 1st platoon go down swinging and maybe making that goddamned tank miss a shot, maybe-but-probably-not, than have half a squad collapse into half moon while what's left of the rest of the company displaces to a more commonsensical route.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

dtkozl posted:

"Go down swinging?" How are they going to do that?

Its a baseball term, homie. It means you take a swing and try for a hit rather than stare blankly as the third strike crosses the plate. They will probably die moving laterally to the contact. They will DEFINITELY die if they stop as panicky Ukranian office workers mill around a cold war export relic truck while under fire. The only actually good solution to this problem is a time machine that takes us seven minutes into the past.

1st Platoon are the dead yet born.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I think the biggest casualty this last turn was the element of surprise tbqh, because unless the Russians are apocalyptically oblivious they're gonna see we're running the remnants of a company into the woods and realize that's where we're concentrating our forces.

The biggest advantage of the SW quadrant was that we wouldn't be seen until it was too late for them. :(

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The plan such as it is, is to attempt to get out of LoS of that drat tank. If the BTR freezes up and gets shot then its six up, half a dozen down.

The Oldest Man posted:

2nd platoon, 2nd company, Ad Hoc Armored Whatever

All three tanks move (Hunt)

turn left, man! noooo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
They do pause for a beat to process the new orders though because: Combort Missonb

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Chunky Monkey posted:

This is what I had in mind, the T-64 clone is probably poo poo and wont see anything but the Abrams can wreck a T-90 easy. Anyone have a good view from ground level there? I'm thinking the Abrams can pull off to the right as soon as it would have LoS on those positions, and the T-64 clone can continue up a ways until it can actually see anything.

I can't testify to the optics, but the gun is literally the same gun on the T-90 currently pushing 1st Co's poo poo in right now.

It's a loving tank on a side that is otherwise equipped with turreted trucks. Don't sell yourself short.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
1st Co, 3rd Platoon

welp, if you can't do something smart: do something

All BTRs turn off this death road to sillytown (no hard angles please, we're trucks not tanks, lets not reenact this scene okay thank) and get on the dirt path leading southwest out of town. Go Fast. The path at least is probably less marshy than the fields. It probably doesn't matter. Follow that path then cross the field so we can see who carries God's favor by determining which of you dregs bog in the grass. Stop short of the treeline in that little nook. Your reward for living that long is we get to have a conversation, as a group, what to do then.

Give right of way to the tanks where relevant. I will personally clear them to shoot you if you block their field of fire.

Units are instructed to pray where appropriate, and the new Sleigh Bells track will be put on 343 radio net as we zigzag away from T-90 shells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK7jPYn9Egs

ORDERS END

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 14, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfzlXcFbQ9I

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I think fire support wet dreams are fun to talk about but are getting a little wild with the order of operations, especially since we have a grand total of three (3) contacts so far. The two big takeaways from the video as I saw it was this:

1. Y'all are high as poo poo if you believe that the Russians are going to see a mech infantry company breaking in the same direction under duress driving to the same general area and not think "well, surely that's all there is there, in those woods, is an understrength company"

that for the present moment that is exactly and precisely all there is there, in those woods, is not hugely beneficial to us imo.

2. Some of the sagest words in any wargame thread were said by none other than dtkozl and went something like this

--never put a squad where you haven't put a team
--never put a platoon where you haven't put a squad
--never put a tank where you haven't put a platoon

there's tanks on MSR Eagle

And maybe they hosed up! Maybe they pushed their tanks out real real far on the ultimately correct gamble that we wouldn't have infantry AT assets in place in the trees quick enough to mess with them.

But they put that tank there. I don't think they're just gonna write off a T-90 to cover the main road while they do other things. If they sent more tanks, big deal. If they sent mech infantry to support the tanks and push into the forest it kind of sucks for us because while we can fight infantry pretty solidly when our MGs and such are readied and they're still dismounting BMP3s are no joke. They were a joke last Black Sea game as they obligingly trundled into the view of like two dozen Abramseses and a dozen Bradley's. They're not a joke when they're providing Hella Fire Support for advancing infantry without tanks or ATGMs in place to spank them. Those autocannons can wipe a platoon in maybe 20 seconds, with said platoon cowering too hard to get its AT poo poo together.

Let's let our tankers play Tank Game, and do tank duels imo. Let's use that arty--specifically the mortars, the quintessential hip pocket artillery--to take the starch outta any advancing infantry. fake edit to reflect GIs post; yeah a precision mortar may or may not take out a T-90. It'll gently caress up a BMP's top armor.

Also don't forget that in six minutes, give or take whatever unforseeable stuff happens, we get some insanely good antitank capability :discourse:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

brakeless posted:

Yeah, I also don't expect that tank to just sit still for the at least couple turns it'll take my guys to get into position. I'm gonna get eyes on the field to my left first and see what's what.

Why not? Tanks aren't good in forests. They're very good at what they're doing right now: sitting in positions and denying everything in line of sight.

Bacarruda posted:

Good hunting.

If they've managed to get T-90s up this far, I'd expect to see some mech infantry coming up behind them to dismount near MSR Eagle to protect their tanks' flanks.

I can think of no compelling reason the russkies would hide their entire force from us except for obvious blocking elements intended to keep us from a) nosing through the middle and b)advancing onto the only Actual Roads on the map, only to roll up to Eagle and "protect" an asset that is doing nothing but making sure nobody walks out of Ribeye alive. And doing a pretty good job of that, incidentally.

A friendly reminder this is 100% of our intel regarding the enemy force comp and intent:

quote:

Elements of a Motor Rifle Regiment have been engaged on the edges of town with reports that a battalion sized unit was rushing south towards the highway. The Russians are trying to close the gap. Should the pressure prove too intense to keep the high-way open, simply keeping the Russians engaged here will buy time for friendly forces around Krolevets to organize themselves and dig in.

They're coming to us! They will not sit obligingly probing our positions while we unfuck our traffic jam. Reasonably we're dealing with a fragment of something like:

quote:

[probably one of] three Motorised Rifle Battalions, each numbering around five hundred personnel and equipped with either BMP infantry fighting vehicles or BTR armoured personnel carriers, and one Tank Battalion, typically consisting of thirty-one T-64, T-72 or T-80 tanks, although older models were present in units outside the European Theater of Operations. These were supported by a battalion of eighteen 122mm artillery pieces, either the self-propelled 2S1 Gvozdika in BMP regiments or towed D-30 howitzers in BTR regiments, though some BTR regiments also used the 2S1, with additional fire support from the organic mortar battery in each infantry battalion. Additional combat support came in the form of an air defence missile and artillery company with four SA-9 or SA-13s and four ZSU-23-4 or 2S6 Tunguskas, an antitank missile battery with nine BRDM-mounted AT-3 Sagger or AT-5 Spandrel launchers, a reconnaissance company mounted on BMPs, BRDMs and motorbikes and an engineer company.

Thats 80's era info, but I see no compelling reason we can't swap out BMP3s and T-90s and so forth with minimal issue. So according to intel thats roughly a battalion of THAT mess.

So the tanks are not the main thing, here! And worryingly we have not seen a single godshitting sausage in The Ballpark, Boris Forest, Putin's Grove etc etc. All we've seen are some tanks that trundle into good spots and stop. This is a blocking action and what they're blocking for is more agile than the T-90's we're tacitly assuming is the furthest south they've gotten.

These 3 tanks we've seen are the limit of our present LoS. We have no visibility in Field of Dreams, but there's definitely a big fat loving tank that's gone past it to stop and screen for.... SOMETHING.

I truly feel we need to start getting serious about the fact that the Russians ghosted roughly a mechanized battalion onto and possibly past our objectives for free and that we're now trying to slow them down/gently caress them up/ruin their day.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 15, 2016

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Just wanted to run something by ace/dtkozl at the 11th hour

I'm good with this being provisional orders since 3rd platoon 1st company is basically the company reserve at the moment.

however I wanted to float the idea of maybe dismounting a single squad to begin sweeping Triangle Woods ASAP when the BTRs arrive at the marked X, and then moving the other two squads a little closer to the group in Junction with the now-empty transport on station closer to 1st Company proper In Case Of Whatever.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'm just glad they aren't in BMPs.

yet

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Merry Marauder posted:

It seems to me that traffic has made that position very exposed, with its flank in the air. If Russian armor is north of there shooting down the highway, surely their infantry must be securing the woods to their south?

this is what i've been saying!!

Ikasuhito posted:

I just remembered dont we still have drones? When might be a good time to use those?

Drones would be good to deploy concurrent with air support, specifically in the town on the Russian side of the map so we could spot possible AA so the Apaches can prioritize Tunguskas over BRDMs. The upshot of our situation is that with tanks and infantry so thoroughly saturating our objectives we can now reliably predict Russian presence Any Second Now. If we called in drones this turn it'd be too late to make a difference if we stumble upon contact, and so early before air support it'd just confirm/deny Russian AA by getting blown out of the sky for free, or loitering over the area we already know there's Russians in it because they've already got their tanks past Eagle.

Other things that would be cool to talk about now: fire support! I strongly suspect the Russians know we're in Junction from how most of 1st Co beelined to Junction, and I don't think the dismounted mechanized platoon is particularly scared of them!

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Orders for 1st Company, 3rd Platoon

When you're offroad slow it down to Quick (lol) and not Fast, no point in risking a bog at this juncture. Speaking of junctures, when you get to the thin point of the tree line south of Junction (at the blue X) units are to dismount and Quick across the thin trees and across the path, then Move after they enter Junction proper. Please maintain roughly 50 meter distance intervals from the other squads, I don't want a single airburst taking out a third of what's left of the company. The BTRs will stay in place In Case Of Whatever.

Good luck y'all

ORDERS END

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I guess I'm just gonna keep my last orders going this round.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

VerdantSquire posted:

I'm guessing we aren't too opposed to using one of those Apaches to scout the field of dreams? There are definitely Russian Tanks there, and if an Apache can deal with them I don't see why we wouldn't bring at least one along for the ride.

To whom it may concern: For the love of gently caress before deploying the apaches please drone recon the russian spawn and confirm there isn't a tunguska or shilka in the theater and if there is I nominate that fucker to receive our first guided artillery shell.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

brakeless posted:

Recon plt orders

Hold position for now.

I'd appreciate it if elements of 1st company could get in line with me or in position to my left. Right now I'm kinda left holding my dick and waiting for the Russians to move.

I'm finishing up getting my dudes all in place to do exactly this next round of orders, though I was thinking more of being your fallback line than your screen since I strongly suspect that most of the action is now to our southwest. Everyone's all hosed up from the surprise detour and arriving at different times.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

ro5s posted:

1st Company, 1st Platoon

Hold position.

Do we want to do anything with the remains of second platoon if Stalinator's still MIA?

One platoon to you and two to Stalinator neatly covers the losses and brings us back up to strength, you gotta admit :v:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I'd like to begin an open ended discussion regarding three things:

--what convoy assets we have and who controls them since GI is apparently giving them pity orders in our gutlessness.
--what fire support and air support assets we have and who controls them since GI is apparently not giving them any orders whatsoever in our gutlessness. i'll take 'em if nobody else will.
--ukrainian 1st company is in a position to mix some poo poo up with known contacts on MSR eagle. my first instinct is to move my three squads into position to start shooting at them until they fall down or go home. am i wrong?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

Holy gently caress that is a lot of arty landing in that field :stare:

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

I believe this is all pthighs since he's the American company commander and hasn't delegated. Am I wrong?

That i don't know the answer to this is why I'm asking. If nobody else has better ideas then the ukranian platoon commander has some right now tbh.

Generation Internet posted:

I'll waive any OOB restrictions on fire support in the interest of things actually getting called in. If you guys want to keep it organic than the Americans can call in the air-support and their two mortars and Ukrainians can call in their six mortars, but I'm totally fine with ditching that for the sake of it actually getting used.

I fuckin love this ambiguity btw. Its a really good use of the play-by-post format.

ro5s posted:

I was wondering if ambushing them might be feasible, judging from the artillery they though our company stopped at half-moon immediately after breaking LoS at the start of the game. That said, they're going to know there's at least something on their flank now that they're shooting at brakeless' guys. I'm 50/50 on thinking brakeless falling back towards us to try and draw some of them into an ambush being a good plan, or we attack the guys on Eagle ASAP, simultaneously with an airstrike.

Its not an ambush if they shoot at us first while we're moving to a place, is the thing.

The treeline to brakeless' south calls to the other two of my squads who aren't going there but now probably should. I think we're in an actual pitched firefight and just don't know it yet. Furthermore I think brakeless has kinda done his job as of this update by drawing a lot of contact. I think its my job to move dudes into place so that brakeless can move dudes past them in order to conduct an Actual Ambush. I think bounding withdrawals like that are how we win this scenario. Another thing I think: nobody has yet claimed chain of command over the convoy and this is really dangerous.

• Locked thread