Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Republican Spiro Agnew served as Vice President under President Richard Nixon from January 1969 until his resignation in October 1973 due to issues unrelated to the Watergate scandal. He was the second United States vice president to resign from office, following only John Calhoun, who did so in 1832. Agnew was a crusader for what became known as “The Silent Majority,” which the administration depicted as patriotic, conservative, middle-class Americans opposed to the counterculture events of the time. He was often used as Nixon’s voice in the public to attack the media, war protestors and the administration’s opponents in colorful, bombastic ways.

After Nixon won re-election, Agnew was targeted by a U.S. Attorney investigation for tax fraud, bribery, extortion and conspiracy related to his earlier political career in Maryland. He was formally charged with accepting bribes of more than $100,000. Agnew decided not to face trial and resigned, entering a plea of no contest to charges of evading income taxes. Agnew was given three years probation and fined $10,000. In 1981, a civil court revealed that Agnew had in fact accepted the sum of $147,000 in bribes while governor of Maryland. He received $17,500 of the cash while he was serving as Vice President. Agnew was forced to reimburse the state $268,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

This is a thread where people can be mad at politicians other than the ones we're usually mad at.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
He's been dead for almost exactly 20 years

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
here is a good example of the wrong kind of thing to post in this thread:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

He's been dead for almost exactly 20 years
He's so dead they should call him Spira Agnew, my Final Fantasy bros nahmean.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Hate 'em all, it's in their nature be unlikable cretins.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I never really cared for that Stalin character.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Well he helped stop that Hitler chap, who I have heard many bad things about.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

akulanization posted:

Both politicians were equally bad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Roosevelt refused to allow America to become involved in World War 2 because, quote, "Douche and a turd sandwich, amirite?"

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva
Michael Bloomberg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruQq3s_ux90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu2JIHoFZmU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L0Zq0MusGA

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

David Duke's kind of an rear end in a top hat. Former Imperial Wizard of the KKK, white nationalist, Holocaust denier, etc. and still occasionally runs for office. He ran/is currently running for a Senate seat in Louisiana this year.
Edit: Oh and he endorsed Trump saying it was “really treason to your heritage" if you didn't vote for him.

TwoStepBoog fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 30, 2016

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

TwoStepBoog posted:

David Duke's kind of an rear end in a top hat. Former Imperial Wizard of the KKK, white nationalist, Holocaust denier, etc. and still occasionally runs for office. He ran/is currently running for a Senate seat in Louisiana this year.
Edit: Oh and he endorsed Trump saying it was “really treason to your heritage" if you didn't vote for him.
I like his odds.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Gregory Zinoviev and Lev Kamenev sided with Stalin over Trotsky because they thought the latter was rude. Then all three (Zinoviev, Kamenev AND Trotsky) got owned in epic fashion in the 1930s by Stalin. Looking back, nearly every original Bolshevik ended up in the owned zone come to think of it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
George Bush vomited on the Japanese PM, how dishonorable

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
He did give the Japanese PM some really tacky boots with the Japanese flag on them, which is like a huge insult or some poo poo.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
George Bush played as E. Honda to honor the Japanese PM, but it came across as an insult (this was back when both players couldn't be the same character).

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

George W Bush couldn't open that one door in China during a press conference.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

akulanization posted:

Near the end of the war it was common for resistance movements to stage an uprising as an Allied army was just a couple days away. This worked to help the Allies capture Paris and a few other cities.

In Warsaw the same thing happened when the Red Army was on its way. Except Stalin had the Red Army stop just outside the city limits and post up behind the Vistule river. Then the Red Army just sat there and ignored the Polish attempts to make radio contact as the Germans fought them. Churchill and FDR made numerous attempts to get the Soviets to aid the Poles to no avail. The US finally decided to just airdrop supplies in but they couldn't really do much as the Soviets refused to let them use their airfields.

The Poles managed to hold the Germans in a stalemate for 2 months but were ultimately defeated. The entire remaining civilian population of the city was removed and about half were sent to concentration camps (~150,000 of ~400,000 people); the others were shipped to various other parts of the Reich for resettlement. The Germans then leveled 1/3rd of the city block by block. Because of previous damage this meant the city was 85% destroyed.

Then the Soviets attacked. Then any Polish resistance fighters who weren't caught by the Germans got caught by the NKVD who killed them for collaborating with Nazi Germany.

Assholes.

e: Poles in a captured German Panther:

Roylicious fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 30, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Roylicious posted:

Near the end of the war it was common for resistance movements to stage an uprising as an Allied army was just a couple days away. This worked to help the Allies capture Paris and a few other cities.

In Warsaw the same thing happened when the Red Army was on its way. Except Stalin had the Red Army stop just outside the city limits and post up behind the Vistule river. Then the Red Army just sat there and ignored the Polish attempts to make radio contact as the Germans fought them. Churchill and FDR made numerous attempts to get the Soviets to aid the Poles to no avail. The US finally decided to just airdrop supplies in but they couldn't really do much as the Soviets refused to let them use their airfields.

The Poles managed to hold the Germans in a stalemate for 2 months but were ultimately defeated. The entire remaining civilian population of the city was removed and about half were sent to concentration camps (~150,000 of ~400,000 people); the others were shipped to various other parts of the Reich for resettlement. The Germans then leveled 1/3rd of the city block by block. Because of previous damage this meant the city was 85% destroyed.

Then the Soviets attacked. Then any Polish resistance fighters who weren't caught by the Germans got caught by the NKVD who killed them for collaborating with Nazi Germany.

Assholes.

No that's just what we in the business community call a "power move."

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

TwoStepBoog posted:

Great!

quote:

“Before Trump, our identity ideas, national ideas, they had no place to go,” said Richard Spencer, president of the National Policy Institute, a white nationalist think tank based in Arlington, Va.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Applewhite posted:

That is a very reactionary thought comrade

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

TwoStepBoog posted:

He already came within a hair's breadth of winning Governor because he was running against convicted criminal and Last of the New Deal Democrats, Edwin Edwards.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

jerry springer was a politician and he went on to do his thing

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I guess I'll be the guy who says it.

gently caress THIS GUY

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
bernie sanders -- white male progressive: obvious hypocrite

as everyone knows, the political system is about getting privileges or keeping privileges for your particular configuration of intersecting traits, so therefore as a white male who is working to give away all the hardfought valueburdens of white males, this cretin is clearly some kind of reptilian human impostor developed in cooperation with the cultural marxists to put gay black female stalin in charge of earth

aka: the antichrist

dookifex_maximus fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 30, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Sgt. Timmy Krimbles

Was elected speaker of the house despite being unable to speak and being a guinea pig. Now nobody can speak in my house. I also don't believe he is a real sergeant and many questions have been brought up about his service record.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Sam Brownback and Scott Walker are both in the top 10 for lowest approval ratings, but Brownback has the absolute worst approval rating in the entire country so probably him.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

do u know jenny posted:

Sam Brownback and Scott Walker are both in the top 10 for lowest approval ratings, but Brownback has the absolute worst approval rating in the entire country so probably him.

yea but they're correctly using the political system to quash their enemies and help the wealthy aristocracy so opinion doesn't figure into it

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
In Stalin's defence, he did modernize a country that had slavery 100 years ago. Literacy rates and industry went through the roof under his rule. Sure, there were all the mass murders, but I get the impression that was pretty par for the course in Russia.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
sure, he was an excellent executive, but for a competing firm

lemme explain how ethics and values work

we value us, and disvalue them and this gives us a framework to develop our ethics:

we = good
they = bad

things that help us = good
things that help them = bad

things that hurt us = bad
things that hurt them = good

now go vote/enlist

dookifex_maximus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 30, 2016

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

they are pretty much universally bad right now, i like elizabeth warren though shes feisty

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The only politicians I trust.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/life-raft-election/n11682

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lIqNjC1RKU

they are pretty much universally bad right now, i like elizabeth warren though shes feisty

i love liz, as a minority she's not a hypocrite when she does the progressive thing

this is the same reason I like david duke and the american nazi party, they're way more honest than the rest of the politicians

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
another thing they have going for them is they're NOT FILTHY FOREIGNERS

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

dookifex_maximus posted:

i love liz, as a minority she's not a hypocrite when she does the progressive thing

what does this even mean?

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

what does this even mean?

well everybody knows the political system is all about attaining or preserving privileges for your specific configuration of intersecting personal traits.

because we live in a globally competitive society, and nobody's right or wrong (except foreigners), the only real metric you can judge a politician's value is by how little hypocrisy they display, because it really should be me in that seat getting the kickbacks, but that's a different subject

the subject is the fact that racism and sexism are more of a function of power than of actual preconceptions and prejudices. because the n word possesses this power, it is racist, while the word honkey is merely a racially charged minority appropriation of the n word's social and cultural superstructures.

so from this perspective, there are two sides; the patriarchy and minorities. if a person who is a beneficiary of patriarchy says or does a thing, it can be honest (in support of patriarchy) or dishonest (bernie sanders) and if a minority says or does a thing it can be honest (elizabeth warren) or dishonest (those crazy alt-right ladies who want to be chained to the stove)

dookifex_maximus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Baron Waqa, president of Nauru

• Locked thread