Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

GORDON posted:

Dude. The OP literally stated they were looking to uproot to some other country because, and I quote, " I live in the US, which if you've been paying attention, kinda sucks lately..."

Making a major life decision, with a major disease, and that's the most compelling argument they can think of to describe their decision is "kinda sucks." Yes, this is amusing to me. It sounds like a horribly bad decision, but with peeps like you cheer leading, supporting, and enabling them, what can go wrong? I'm sure you'll be there to pick them up if it goes wrong.

Also I already spent the morning arguing with a dementia patient, you remind me strongly of her, and I am no longer in that mood. She also insists on making very bad decisions, this time regarding her meds. So as I said, good luck to everyone on their move, happy house hunting, and god bless, because honestly this doesn't affect me at all, and I realize that, and I am happy for that realization. :-D

First thing I said in this thread was that it was a bad idea. Doesn't mean that somebody walking into the thread to laugh and claim that the OP makes you laugh for thinking about moving elsewhere, and that disliking the US is irrational because it's the best they can get isn't insufferably smug and idiotic. Hope you don't have any real responsibility over the mentally ill. "God Bless".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Jeza posted:

First thing I said in this thread was that it was a bad idea. Doesn't mean that somebody walking into the thread to laugh and claim that the OP makes you laugh for thinking about moving elsewhere, and that disliking the US is irrational because it's the best they can get isn't insufferably smug and idiotic. Hope you don't have any real responsibility over the mentally ill. "God Bless".

you're responding to a poster who thinks global warming is a hoax :ssh:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
A lot of people itt who take "I know it won't happen and I'm just musing over a fantasy here" to mean "I've already packed my bags!!"

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas
If I were in your spot, I would take a holiday in NZ and see if you like it. If you do, try to marry a local, I'm sure there's some kiwi dating site you can join.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Choco1980 posted:

A lot of people itt who take "I know it won't happen and I'm just musing over a fantasy here" to mean "I've already packed my bags!!"

I think it is more that we find it humorous that you apparently never heard of "beggars can't be choosers".

Moving countries for the heck of it is something more reserved for the elite, not even for normal people. It is one thing if you are a wealthy high-earning able-bodied individual. But you are not.

Gophermaster
Mar 5, 2005

Bring the Ruckas

John Smith posted:

I think it is more that we find it humorous that you apparently never heard of "beggars can't be choosers".

Moving countries for the heck of it is something more reserved for the elite, not even for normal people. It is one thing if you are a wealthy high-earning able-bodied individual. But you are not.

Well I wouldn't go that far, if you are able bodied, have a university education, and a semi to high skilled career you can make it work.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

John Smith posted:

Couldn't be more of an rear end in a top hat if you tried.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

GORDON posted:

Dude. The OP literally stated they were looking to uproot to some other country because, and I quote, " I live in the US, which if you've been paying attention, kinda sucks lately..."

Making a major life decision, with a major disease, and that's the most compelling argument they can think of to describe their decision is "kinda sucks." Yes, this is amusing to me. It sounds like a horribly bad decision, but with peeps like you cheer leading, supporting, and enabling them, what can go wrong? I'm sure you'll be there to pick them up if it goes wrong.

Also I already spent the morning arguing with a dementia patient, you remind me strongly of her, and I am no longer in that mood. She also insists on making very bad decisions, this time regarding her meds. So as I said, good luck to everyone on their move, happy house hunting, and god bless, because honestly this doesn't affect me at all, and I realize that, and I am happy for that realization. :-D

You might be happier in general if you refrained from arguing with people with brain issues

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

NihilismNow posted:

Is that 220k before or after taxes? Because i know norway is expensive but that is about $2300 a month.
No one is gonna be deterred by having to live on "only" $2300 a month. The situation and prices you described sound great to people coming from other European welfare states, i imagine over 99% of the disabled people worldwide would take that deal.
Hardship in Norway: you might not be able to afford $25 takeout pizza (but you probably can).

It might be 2300 bucks a month, but Norway is really loving expensive to live in (or visit). To put it in perspective, we Swedes are horrified at the prices of everything when we go there.

Also, your $25 takeout pizza will taste like cardboard if you're lucky.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Internet Explorer posted:

Couldn't be more of an rear end in a top hat if you tried.

Ignorant fool. Suggest you wake up to the real world.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

John Smith posted:

Ignorant fool. Suggest you wake up to the real world.

Yo just so you know in the real world (the world that's not the movies) we don't call people "ignorant fools."

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Dogfish posted:

Yo just so you know in the real world (the world that's not the movies) we don't call people "ignorant fools."

Haha look at this ignorant fool.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

tsa posted:

Haha look at this ignorant fool.

I pity the ignorant fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A little musing over the differences in living with a disability between Europe and North America. Here in Denmark, the financial assistance and home care are excellent. On the other hand, accessibility loving sucks in comparison to Canada and the US. The great majority of buildings have no accomodations whatsoever for people who have trouble getting about and finding an apartment that is wheelchair accessible (for example) is very difficult. This is explained partly by many buildings being old, difficult to renovate and in some cases protected from modifications. The end result though is that people with mobility issues or on end of life care end up rotting at home. Getting home care visits 2 to 4 times a day is no substitute for freedom in my opinion.

Regarding living here, you are out of luck. Paying for education as a non EU citizen is incredibly expensive. I work with quite a few Filipinos who do this- they work 7-10 hours most days on top of full-time studies and some portion of that is probably paid under the table- they still have trouble making ends meet.
Getting married requires a deposit of somewhere between 2000 to 10000 dollars, depending upon your proficiency in Danish.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 19, 2016

• Locked thread