Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
So 2017 Blue Jays.

Lineup
Carrera RF
Travis 2B
Donaldson 3B
??? DH
Martin C
Tulowitzki SS
Upton Jr. LF
Pillar CF
Smoak 1B

Bench
Goins
Pompey
Lake
Barney?

Starters
Happ
Sanchez
Estrada
Stroman
Liriano

That's not so bad, right? They just need to find a DH somewhere and trade Smoak for a real 1B. A team with Donaldson, Martin, Tulo and Travis should be able to compete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
But WHERE would they be able to find a reliable firstbasemen who the fans would love and whose team is probably trying offload him

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Chexoid posted:

But WHERE would they be able to find a reliable firstbasemen who the fans would love and whose team is probably trying offload him

Joey Votto on the Blue Jays would make me cry, as a Yankee fan. It probably wouldn't even cost that much to get him, prospect wise, given his giant contract. but as a baseball fan, it would be pretty cool to see a native son play on his home team. also all the dingers

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It would be great to cheer for a (good) Canadian who isn't a filthy Habs fan.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Please don't take Votto out of the NL Central, I love seeing him on a regular basis even if he doesn't play on my team.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

Joey Votto on the Blue Jays would make me cry, as a Yankee fan. It probably wouldn't even cost that much to get him, prospect wise, given his giant contract. but as a baseball fan, it would be pretty cool to see a native son play on his home team. also all the dingers
Votto's contract is big but he is very good and he's likely to outperform it for probably half of the remaining years. He will cost a significant prospect haul. But he has a full no trade and has said he doesn't want to leave Cincinnati. I know everyone assumes he'd wave it to come home, but that is not clear.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 3, 2016

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Oh and go Jays

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

bawfuls posted:

Votto's contract is big but he is very good and he's likely to outperform it for probably half of the remaining years. He will cost a significant prospect haul. But he has a full no trade and has said he doesn't want to leave Cincinnati. I know everyone assumes he'd wave it to come home, but that is not clear.

Yeah to me he seems like the perfect intersection of elite player on a really high risk deal that makes it hard to believe anyone is going to agree to a fair ask by the Reds

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

shadok posted:

That's not so bad, right? They just need to find a DH somewhere and trade Smoak for a real 1B. A team with Donaldson, Martin, Tulo and Travis should be able to compete.

Isn't DarBar UFA after this season? They should just melt Barney, remold him into a 1B, and throw Smoak into the sun. I would love it if they'd keep EE but Votto would be a hoot. Isn't Morales free soon too? That would be a reasonable DH replacement.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

Votto's contract is big

Jays are out. Management has been pretty clear they want the payroll down and they are now allergic to big star contracts, which is why they're not going to re-sign Encarnación, let alone Bautista.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

shadok posted:

So 2017 Blue Jays.

Lineup
Carrera RF
Travis 2B
Donaldson 3B
??? DH
Martin C
Tulowitzki SS
Upton Jr. LF
Pillar CF
Smoak 1B

Bench
Goins
Pompey
Lake
Barney?

Starters
Happ
Sanchez
Estrada
Stroman
Liriano

That's a gutted lineup right there.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

If there's one thing I am not too worried about for next season, it is Toronto's pitching. But the loss of EE alone makes the offense seem anemic even though it's not a bad lineup by any means.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

Isn't DarBar UFA after this season?

Yeah, he's on a 1y/1M contract for 2016. I really hope he'll be amenable to another one for 2017.

Spring Break My Heart posted:

That's a gutted lineup right there.

"Gutted" is a little excessive. Josh Donaldson is a Very Good Baseball Man.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Julio Cruz posted:

Mark Trumbo is the first player ever to hit at least 47 home runs and to be worth no more than 1.7 WAR.

This makes me feel slightly better about that dumb Trumbo for racist-Clevenger trade.

Well, that was a good, but bittersweet season for the Mariners. I think Jerry Dipoto did pretty good in his first season :unsmith: I have hope with new ownership and direction that this team will be better in the coming years.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

.871 OPS with bases empty, .665 with men on, .477 with RISP. If being clutch were a real thing, he would be the least clutch player in the league.

He's the leadoff hitter. The leadoff hitter hits first in an inning, with no one on, and no outs. He prepared himself for that scenario so well, that it's the only scenario he can handle.

Curtis Granderson, dedicated man.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

shadok posted:

"Gutted" is a little excessive. Josh Donaldson is a Very Good Baseball Man.
I mean last year they were by far the best offense in baseball. Now you look at this group, and who else hits besides Donaldson? Travis would now be the 2nd best hitter on the team, which isn't a good look, and it's not like there aren't any holes in the lineup either with Smoak, Carrera and the Unknown DH.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Following with the Jays look ahead here's a way too early look at the 2017 Cubs:

Gone/Probably gone to FA:
Fowler
Cahill
Coghlan
Ross
Wood
Chapman
Smith

Lineup
Rizzo 1B
Zobrist 2B
Russell SS
Bryant 3B
Contreras C
Soler LF
Almora Jr. CF
Heyward RF

Bench
Schwarber (2 options)
Montero (0 options)
La Stella (2 options)
Baez (2 options)
Sczcur (0 options)

Starters
Lester
Arrieta
Hendricks
Lackey
Hammel (10M team option, will likely be picked up if injury is not serious)

Bullpen
Rondon CL
Strop SU
Grimm (can refuse assignment)
Montgomery (0 options)
Patton (1 option)
Edwards Jr. (1 option)
Pena (3 options)
Zastryzny (3 options)

That's 26, so you're probably putting Pena or Patton back in AAA assuming none of the departing players re-sign and no trades or new FA signings come in.

That's... pretty much the same as this year. I'm not sure Theo backs up the truck to keep Chapman with the team but even if Fowler, Chapman and Wood all go elsewhere you have essentially the same core as 2016.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The newest version of the HoF Veterans Committee or whatever has announced this year's "today's game era" ballot, to be voted on at the winter meetings:

Harold Baines
Albert Belle
Will Clark
Orel Hershiser
Davey Johnson
Mark McGwire
Lou Piniella
John Schuerholz
Bud Selig
George Steinbrenner

I bet Selig is the only one inducted.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 3, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

if they don't put lou in, he should go to cooperstown and bellybump some baseball officials and then break a display case to hurl a historically significant base

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CubsWoo posted:

Following with the Jays look ahead here's a way too early look at the 2017 Cubs:

Is it weird that I'd rather see Coghlan back than have to deal with the unpredictability of La Stella?

also just give Fowler all of EJax's expiring contract + some more to stay put. I think he more than anybody is the heart and soul of the lineup and I'd still love to see him at the leadoff spot.

I'd also like TWood back but that's about it from the list of departing free agents.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

Is it weird that I'd rather see Coghlan back than have to deal with the unpredictability of La Stella?

also just give Fowler all of EJax's expiring contract + some more to stay put. I think he more than anybody is the heart and soul of the lineup and I'd still love to see him at the leadoff spot.

I'd also like TWood back but that's about it from the list of departing free agents.

Agreed, I think this year really solidified how big a piece Fowler has been for the Cubs. I'm really hoping the front office agrees and shells out to keep him.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Will Clark attempted to murder the Cardinals middle infield.

He has no flaws.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
If Fowler is brought back, they absolutely need to trade one of Schwarber or Soler. I hope they do it though. He is so important, it's not even funny.

If he hadn't come back this year, I really wonder where the 2016 Cubs would've ended up. Granted, he wouldn't have run over Schwarber, so I guess that's pointless to wonder.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hot takes:

1. Cubs try to resign one of Wood/Cahill to keep the bullpen stable, and Maddon is absolutely going to push Theo to resign Coghlan but we'll see how that goes.
2. Considering how much of a tone setter he seems to be for the team, I'd guess the Cubs try extending a better deal to Fowler, although they're probably not willing to get into a bidding war with Almora waiting in the wings.
3. Cubs are absolutely going to throw their hat into the FA Closer MarketTM and try to sign one of Melancon/Jansen/Chapman to stay competitive. This is doubly true if they don't win the WS this year, making next year the last best shot to compete before Arrieta/Lackey walk.
4. If Hammel doesn't make the post season roster at all and there are sour grapes as a result, the team may let him walk and roll the dice on slotting in Montgomery as a fifth man.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Times have been announced for the first couple games of the DS's.

http://m.mlb.com/postseason-schedule

code:
Thursday, October 6
4:30 PM	ALDS Gm 1	AL Wild Card @ Rangers	TBD at TBD	
8:00 PM	ALDS Gm 1	Red Sox @ Indians	Porcello (22-4) at  Bauer (12-8)	

Friday, October 7
1:00 PM	ALDS Gm 2	AL Wild Card @ Rangers	TBD at TBD	
4:30 PM	ALDS Gm 2	Red Sox @ Indians	Price (17-9) at  Kluber (18-9)	
5:30 PM	NLDS Gm 1	Dodgers @ Nationals	Kershaw (12-4) at  TBD	
9:00 PM	NLDS Gm 1	NL Wild Card @ Cubs	TBD at TBD	

Saturday, October 8
4:00 PM	NLDS Gm 2	Dodgers @ Nationals	Hill (12-5) at  TBD	
8:00 PM	NLDS Gm 2	NL Wild Card @ Cubs	TBD at TBD	

Sunday, October 9
4:00 PM	ALDS Gm 3	Indians @ Red Sox	Tomlin (13-9) at  TBD	
7:30 PM	ALDS Gm 3	Rangers @ AL Wild Card	TBD at TBD	
All times are Eastern.

Thank all the fucks that we got the primetime slot.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

If there's one thing I am not too worried about for next season, it is Toronto's pitching.

"In another sign of how professional baseball is continually changing, 2016 marked the first season in which Major League pitchers did not combine for at least 100 complete games. The perfect case study for this shift was the Blue Jays, whose starting pitchers did not record a single complete game and yet led the Majors with 995 1/3 innings pitched in 2016."

"Only 13 clubs in modern baseball history have not recorded a single complete game over the course of a season -- including the 2016 Blue Jays, Brewers, Marlins and Yankees. Of that group of 13, the Blue Jays are the first team to have its starters lead the Major Leagues in innings while not recording a single game in which they went the distance."

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
N: Stroman pitches the Wild Card.

V: I don't agree with this.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
8 PM is kind of a late start but I'll take it over 4:30 PM. Good on MLB for finally giving us a Friday game that doesn't start at 1 in the loving afternoon, I hate the Cubs for that policy.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Not a fan of 9PM starts because anything even marginally competitive will keep me up past 1AM with post-game and winding down before bed plus I already have the fear of Baez and Soler both turning into pumpkins once the weather gets even mildly chilly

Sydin posted:

Hot takes:

1. Cubs try to resign one of Wood/Cahill to keep the bullpen stable, and Maddon is absolutely going to push Theo to resign Coghlan but we'll see how that goes.
2. Considering how much of a tone setter he seems to be for the team, I'd guess the Cubs try extending a better deal to Fowler, although they're probably not willing to get into a bidding war with Almora waiting in the wings.
3. Cubs are absolutely going to throw their hat into the FA Closer MarketTM and try to sign one of Melancon/Jansen/Chapman to stay competitive. This is doubly true if they don't win the WS this year, making next year the last best shot to compete before Arrieta/Lackey walk.
4. If Hammel doesn't make the post season roster at all and there are sour grapes as a result, the team may let him walk and roll the dice on slotting in Montgomery as a fifth man.

1. I think Zastryzny is being groomed to be Wood's replacement so I see them letting him go and Cahill might want to do what he did last year and try and find a team that will commit to stretching him out to start. Coghlan probably deserves a cheap 1yr deal based on how he's done since coming back.
2. Fowler is going to get paid by somebody and from what I remember Theo did a handshake deal to not put a QO on him so unless you want to pay him through probably his age 37 season you have to let him go.
3. Agreed, and any of those 3 would be great to have but based on how he's been for the Cubs I'm partial to Chapman.
4. 10M is chump change for someone who can still probably give you 120 innings of 3rd-4th starter level performance as long as this isn't some chronic debilitating injury he's been hiding from the team. If he can be ready by spring I can't imagine him not getting the option picked up.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Since everyone else is doing it, I might as well. The likely 2017 Giants lineup

Leaving for Free Agency
Jake Peavy
Santiago Casilla
Sergio Romo
Javier Lopez
Angel Pagan
Gregor Blanco

Too be honest, this is mostly shedding dead money. Pagan has had an offensive renaissance this year, but with his injury history and defense I'd rather not re-sign him. Lopez and Romo are cool, but with Lopez's difficulties with getting anyone out earlier this year, and Romo's recent injury history, I wouldn't mind moving on from them. Jake Peavy is a nice man. Go away Casilla.

Rotation
Madison Bumgarner
Johnny Cueto
Jeff Samardzija
Matt Moore
Ty Blach/Albert Suarez/Matt Cain

Lineup
C - Buster Posey
1B - Brandon Belt
2B - Joe Panik
SS - Brandon Crawford
3B - Eduardo Nuñez
LF - ? (Possibly a Mac Williamson/Jarrett Parker platoon)
CF - Denard Span
RF - Hunter Pence

No real surprises here. Parker/Williamson depends on how confident the FO is that they'll come back 100% from injuries.

Bullpen
Derrick Law
Hunter Strickland
George Kontos?
Josh Osich?
Joe Nathan???
One or two of the pitchers that didn't make fifth starter
???????
Sign Melancon and Jansen SabEvans

The Giants need to spend all the money they're freeing up from the Free Agents leaving on the bullpen.

Bench
Trevor Brown
Kelby Tomlinson
Austin Slater?
Gorkys Hernandez?
Conor Gillespie?
Ehire Adrianza?

Who cares we'll probably find someone that overperforms their minor league stats too.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Yaya posted:

N: Stroman pitches the Wild Card.

V: I don't agree with this.

And on the other side, Tillman for the Orioles. On one hand, Jiménez has been phenomenal lately AND he held the Jays to one hit over 6.2 innings a week ago. On the other, it's Ubaldo Jiménez and we're just ask likely to give up 5 runs by the fourth inning so I guess Buck is going with the comparatively safer option.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

New Concept Hole posted:

He has no flaws.

Is there a lip reading hall of fame?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
It won't happen but I would die so happy if Big Mac went in before Selig.

Selig also doesn't deserve to be in the HOF but he's gonna get shooed in

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: https://twitter.com/nickpiecoro/status/783043123576311808

V: Means very little if TLR is still in charge of baseball ops

edit: official

https://twitter.com/Dbacks/status/783043820829093889

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 3, 2016

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spoeank posted:

Really there's only one postseason shirt you need

If this was sold I'd buy 3 of them.

bawfuls posted:

N: https://twitter.com/nickpiecoro/status/783043123576311808

V: Means very little if TLR is still in charge of baseball ops

edit: official

https://twitter.com/Dbacks/status/783043820829093889

Will Dave Stewart finally move out of Kevin Towers's basement?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Spoeank posted:

It won't happen but I would die so happy if Big Mac went in before Selig.

Selig also doesn't deserve to be in the HOF but he's gonna get shooed in

Eh as much as I dislike the guy personally he oversaw a lot of additions to and change within the game. He deserves to be in as much as any other executive

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

New Concept Hole posted:

He has no flaws.

He was cool in 2000

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/783056215135907840

Hopefully he is getting a gig somewhere else or this is a mutual thing? It seemed like he did a good job and was well liked among the players.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Good Dog posted:

Hopefully he is getting a gig somewhere else or this is a mutual thing? It seemed like he did a good job and was well liked among the players.

My theory is he knew he did a good job and wanted a pay raise. Then Jeffrey Loria happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Good Dog posted:

drat it Giants, you know what to do!

• Locked thread