Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

An actual left leaning Green party? :aaa:

Other than that it looks similar. How long have you guys had preferential voting? I thought you still had FPTP like us.

Since 1918.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Yeah now Im actually jealous. We keep being promised electoral reform but in the end its always :flaccid:

FPTP loving sucks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Senate elections weren't held under STV until the 1940s, and I don't really know much about the system before that.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.aec.gov.au/elections/australian_electoral_history/reform.htm

AEC has a timeline.

If you do get offered reform be sure not to vote against it like the UK.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Anidav posted:

I want to kill Christian Porter

Say that again.

Anidav posted:

I want to kill Christian Porter

Let's me and you go for a ride, Anidav.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

open24hours posted:

http://www.aec.gov.au/elections/australian_electoral_history/reform.htm

AEC has a timeline.

If you do get offered reform be sure not to vote against it like the UK.

Yeah Im really hoping they dont put it to a referendum and just hammer it through because I dont trust my fellow Canadians to not vote against their better interest.

Also that link was really fun to read through, thanks! Am I reading it right that you have mandatory voting as well?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Furnaceface posted:

Can someone here give me a link to something that explains the break down of the Aussie parties and where they sit on the political compass? Im curious if yours is as bad as ours here in Canada with only one left leaning party and a bunch of them on the right (who somehow continue to win elections).

I'm Canadian and I've lived in Australia for 8 years now. I can tell you that whatever compass/spectrum of political ideology you use that puts only one Canadian party to the left would comfortable put both major Australian parties far far to the right.

I assure you, the concept of left/right has a very different demarcating line between them in Australia than Canada.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Am I reading it right that you have mandatory voting as well?
Yup.

Ixnay on the Omelet
Sep 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Furnaceface posted:

Also that link was really fun to read through, thanks! Am I reading it right that you have mandatory voting as well?

It's great. Instead of the sea of interested voters getting swamped by special interest groups (who are at least passionate about something even if it is drowning reffos), we get drowned out by the masses who aren't sure who the PM is and don't care anyway.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Serrath posted:

I'm Canadian and I've lived in Australia for 8 years now. I can tell you that whatever compass/spectrum of political ideology you use that puts only one Canadian party to the left would comfortable put both major Australian parties far far to the right.

I assure you, the concept of left/right has a very different demarcating line between them in Australia than Canada.

Based on policy I'd call greens left, with labour centrist with NXT just to the right of that and the libs being hard right.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I want to get off Mr Christiansen's wild ride:

quote:

Here’s Proof The National Suicide Hotline Is Taking Plebiscite-Related Calls

A leaked screenshot from the database of the national suicide hotline suggests a spike in the number of calls relating to the government’s proposed plebiscite on same-sex marriage, according to an internal source.
An image received by BuzzFeed News shows the computer system used by Lifeline’s trained suicide prevention workers during a phone call.
Workers are asked to enter the “main reason for the call”, and the first option now reads “2016 Marriage Equality Plebiscite”.
One Lifeline volunteer told BuzzFeed News new categories are updated when there is an increase in the number of calls relating to the subject.

But Lifeline would not confirm whether calls to its service about the plebiscite had increased.
“Lifeline routinely records data about issues faced by communities be they natural disasters or key social issues,” a spokesperson said.
“As we only have begun to collect this data there is no trend to report in calls relating to the marriage plebiscite.”
Other categories recently added to the Lifeline system relate to the dairy farmers’ crisis, the NSW greyhound ban and the royal commission into child sexual abuse.
Lifeline volunteers are given specific training to deal with issues relating to each of these events.
One of Labor’s main lines of attack on the plebiscite is that an ugly public debate would lead to poor mental health outcomes, specifically more risk of suicide, among young LGBT people.

“Every piece of expert advice tells us young Australians who are gay are more likely to contemplate suicide – and more likely to take their own lives,” opposition leader Bill Shorten told the parliament as he introduced a private member’s bill for marriage equality earlier this year.
“Let me be as blunt as possible. A ‘no’ campaign would be emotional torment for gay teenagers. And if one child commits suicide over the plebiscite – then that is one too many.”
However, prime minister Malcolm Turnbull has dismissed this line of attack, saying Shorten’s argument “insults” and “disrespects” the Australian people.

Turnbull told the parliament that this argument presumes Australians “cannot be trusted to have a civil conversation”.
“[Shorten is saying] that the Australian public are so immature, so unbridled, so reckless that they cannot be trusted to have a debate and make a decision on this issue,” he said.
In an opinion piece for The Australian published last month, Liberal MP Tim Wilson said Shorten’s comments had overstepped the mark.
“Now let me be blunt, Mr Shorten,” Wilson wrote.
“While such lines may sound good in a political pointscoring war, it demonstrates a failure to understand the issue and the responsibility he carries with his office. Suicide is not a political plaything. It’s serious.”
If you or someone you know needs help, contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or visit Lifeline.org.au.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/plebiscite-calls-new-database?utm_term=.ki4d2mj57#.iuy2RzYoX

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
The AFP have dropped the investigation into the copying of Peter Slipper's diary.

Ixnay on the Omelet
Sep 11, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Let me guess - the reasons are sorted by alphanumerical order, and "the first option now reads “2016 Marriage Equality Plebiscite” because nothing else starts with "2016".

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Tim Wilson is a twat and I hope he gets slapped down by a bus.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Self hating homosexual.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Ixnay on the Omelet posted:

Let me guess - the reasons are sorted by alphanumerical order, and "the first option now reads “2016 Marriage Equality Plebiscite” because nothing else starts with "2016".

Well yeah, I doubt they'd sort the list based on the number of calls about it to save the operator a second or two. That'd be a bit morbid.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

adamantium|wang posted:

The AFP have dropped the investigation into the copying of Peter Slipper's diary.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ion?CMP=soc_567

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

"Oh dear", as Pauline probably never said "how will I ever decide on a vote if my good friend Peter Ashby is facing charges?"

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

quote:

bigstory.ap.org Read Later
Trudeau says Canada to implement carbon tax
by Rob Gillies Oct. 3, 2016 1 min read original
TORONTO (AP) — Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Monday that Canada will impose a tax on carbon emissions starting in 2018 as part of its efforts to meet targets set by the Paris climate change accord.

Trudeau made the announcement in Parliament on Monday as debate started over whether Canada should ratify the Paris accord on climate change. The House of Commons is expected to approve the Paris accord in a vote on Wednesday.

Trudeau said provinces and territories can either put a direct tax on carbon emissions of at least $10 Canadian (US$7.60) a ton or adopt a cap-and-trade system. If a province fails to do either by 2018, the federal government will implement a basic carbon tax of $10 a ton, rising by $10 a ton per year until it reaches $50 Canadian (US$38.11) a ton by 2022.

"There is no hiding from climate change," Trudeau told the Commons. "It is real and it is everywhere. We cannot undo the last 10 years of inaction. What we can do is make a real and honest effort — today and every day — to protect the health of our environment, and with it, the health of all Canadians."

Trudeau argued that pricing carbon pollution will give Canada a "significant advantage" in building a cleaner economy, compel businesses to develop innovative ways to reduce emissions, and create hundreds of thousands of clean technology jobs.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall blasted Trudeau for unilaterally announcing his plan and not working with the provinces on a collaborative proposal. Provincial environment ministers were meeting with their federal counterpart when Trudeau surprised many with his announcement.

"The level of disrespect shown by the Prime Minister and his government his stunning," Wall said in a statement. "This new tax will damage our economy. The bottom line is that the Saskatchewan economy already hurting from a downturn in commodity prices — will be one of the hardest hit by a new federal carbon tax because of our trade-exposed resource industries."

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said her oil-rich province won't support Ottawa's climate change plan unless the federal government makes progress on new oil pipelines to Canada's coasts. Trudeau's government is expected to decide the fate of at least one major pipeline to the Pacific Coast by the end of the year. Alberta already plans to implement a carbon tax but objects to the higher costs of Trudeau's plans in later years.

Canada's most populous provinces, Ontario and Quebec, are joining in a cap-and-trade program. British Columbia already has a carbon tax.

"Eighty five percent of the Canadian economy is located in provinces where there is pricing on carbon pollution in one shape or another. We are going to bring that up to 100 percent," Trudeau said.

Great big tax on hard working families Mr speaker

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/CroweDM/status/783185749579399168

Uhhh....

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

They all start with a date. Congrats on crossing off "I don't like gays" and "I do no research" in the same post though, 10/10 efficiency.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

BBJoey posted:

for almost a century now. we like to whinge a lot but I think Australia genuinely has one of if not the best voting systems in the world.

I concur. We are still the only developed country that uses preferential voting for all elections and in 2016 that just boggles my loving mind.

Fun fact: I remember reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy as a teenager and amongst all the endless appendices he has a copy of his imaginary Martian constitution, for this perfect society he's dreamt up, and pretty much everything to do with elections is modelled on "the Australian ballot system." So noted utopian futurist Kim Stanley Robinson at least agrees that we're on the money.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Oh yeah the secret ballot was also our idea.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Australian ballot refers to the secret ballot.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It's great. Instead of the sea of interested voters getting swamped by special interest groups (who are at least passionate about something even if it is drowning reffos), we get drowned out by the masses who aren't sure who the PM is and don't care anyway.

this, but unironically

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

freebooter posted:

Abbott's slavish Anglophilia is fascinating. He grew up in the '60s and '70s for gently caress's sake, the sun had well and truly set on the Empire. Where does he get it from?

It gets better:

quote:

Tony Abbott has been appointed a director of a new centre for western civilisation – a thinktank which he says aims “to promote a more widespread study and understanding of the western canon.”

The former prime minister has declared the new post in his latest declaration of members’ interests, alongside an appointment to an advisory council that seeks to promote a “strong and prosperous” Ukraine. Abbott in his declaration foreshadows future travel to attend meetings of the advisory council in Kiev.

Abbott also indicates that the Alliance of European Conservatives and Reformists paid for his travel and accommodation to deliver a speech in Prague in mid-September where he urged Europe to adopt Australian-style border protection policies to avoid “losing control” – noting that the flow of asylum seekers across Europe “look[ed] like a peaceful invasion.”

Another Liberal MP, Julian Leeser, has also been appointed to the board of the Ramsay Centre for Western Civilisation, which is funded by the Paul Ramsay Foundation.

Paul Ramsay – the founder of Ramsay Health Care – a donor to the Liberal party and a friend of Abbott’s, donated most of his $3.3bn stake in the company he founded to charity after his death in 2014.

The only concrete details currently available about the Ramsay Centre for Western Civilisation come from an ad placed in the Australian in August 2015, advertising the role of CEO for the centre.

The ad says the centre is funded by the Paul Ramsay Foundation, and the primary aim is to “provide a perpetual endowment for the study of western civilisation”.

The ad further details the aims of the centre with specific programs including: the establishment of courses in western civilisation with three universities, school programs and scholarships.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tony Abbott appointed director of new thinktank to promote western civilisation

:pusheen:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Western Civilisation is being a sexist imperialist and eating raw onions apparently.

Makes sense I guess.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Birmingham: Tony Abbott has told right-wing allies in Britain that he believes he has a reasonable chance of becoming prime minister again, Fairfax Media has learned.

The revelation confirms the former leader is hoping to emulate Kevin Rudd's 2013 success in returning to the Lodge after being booted out by his own party in 2010 despite his public assurances that his leadership is "dead, buried and cremated" and that "the Abbott era is over."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

gay picnic defence posted:

Birmingham: Tony Abbott has told right-wing allies in Britain that he believes he has a reasonable chance of becoming prime minister again, Fairfax Media has learned.

The revelation confirms the former leader is hoping to emulate Kevin Rudd's 2013 success in returning to the Lodge after being booted out by his own party in 2010 despite his public assurances that his leadership is "dead, buried and cremated" and that "the Abbott era is over."

Is anyone remotely surprised by this revelation? I think we all just assumed it was already the case.

I can't wait for Abbot to "Keven Rudd" Turnbull out of the office before losing the next election himself. It would be perfect.

Also after he regains PM but before the election is lost, if the lack of pairing could cause more significant public embarrassment that would be great. TIA Abbot.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

DancingShade posted:

Is anyone remotely surprised by this revelation? I think we all just assumed it was already the case.

I can't wait for Abbot to "Keven Rudd" Turnbull out of the office before losing the next election himself. It would be perfect.

Also after he regains PM but before the election is lost, if the lack of pairing could cause more significant public embarrassment that would be great. TIA Abbot.

Especially if he's scrambling trying to respond to GFC II: China edition and block SSM in a fractured lower house while all that is going down

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
fuckin do it abbott ya fuckin sook

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DancingShade posted:

Considering Abbott's negotiation skills are poor as gently caress. However it kinda makes sense now that he was sliming up to Hanson just after the election, so he can get stuff through the Senate

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 5, 2016

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

quote:

return to the lodge

But Abbott didn't spend a single night in the lodge if I remember correctly.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

norp posted:

But Abbott didn't spend a single night in the lodge if I remember correctly.

Full of piss and lies as usual.

Carry on.

E: Abbott is full of the piss, not Norp.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

How is Rudd's second go something anybody would want to emulate?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

I've made this helpful tool so you can imagine you're kickin' it with Wyatt at the frontlines of a warzone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It destroyed Gillard's political career, if he could do the same to Turnbull I'm sure that would be reward enough.

• Locked thread