Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Here's hoping this whole nightmare ends in a week.

Edit: So is Roger Stone's promised Assange/Hillary in prison for real this time stuff coming out soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Spacebump posted:

She also said this in the link you posted "In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program...It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects American security." but you are ignoring that.

Yeah, her and Bush were on the same page. I completely reject the idea that she didn't know and was duped by the Bush administration. She spent 8 years in Washington as the wife of the president and was heavily involved in his administration. She was then elected as a Senator. For her to then claim that she was somehow caught unaware doesn't hold water.

And yeah, I read the entire speech, and it illustrates another of the things I don't like about her, the non-answer answer that can be mined to support any position.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Non Serviam posted:

Some people just want to see the world burn.

It's pretty clear that Russia is trying to interfere with our election. If that's not an act of war, I don't know what is

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

My favorite was implying Jill "wifi hurts us" Stein as a better option than Hillary.

She never said that.

Hillary is terrible and, based on what John Podesta said to the UAE ambassador to the US just 3 days ago, wants to kill Iranians.

Trump is worse, therefore the best option is for Hillary to win but relentlessly rally public pressure for her to not do evil things.

You don't need to reflexively defend her, or try to assassinate the character of Jill Stein.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Harik posted:

Which leaves economic pressure, that Europe has already tried and they've tried to ignore (so far). It's painful, but not to the people who matter, so it hasn't really slowed them down.

It's done something just as good, it's sped them up. Economic and diplomatic pressure *are* hurting Russia, badly, and their imperialistic bullshit and election tomfuckery are an attempt to look big in the face of that. The thing is, none of it is working out very well for them in the sense of making Russia more secure and prosperous. And the sanctions and diplomatic pressure continue to gently caress them in ways great or small. Indeed, all their screwing around is likely to increase the sanctions and diplomatic pressure. People think of conflict as jets and tanks and no fly zones and rah rah bullshit, when the truth of the matter is the real conflict with Russia is effectively going to be aggressive accounting and tariffs and blocking trade deals. And we'll devastate them doing it.

It just doesn't make for sexy press releases. Or even emotional satisfaction really, which is where the danger comes. People thinking we aren't doing anything, or aren't doing enough, and wanting to escalate. It's hard to have the patience to know what we are doing is exactly the most damaging thing to do to Russia.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 1, 2016

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

SimonCat posted:

Yeah, her and Bush were on the same page. I completely reject the idea that she didn't know and was duped by the Bush administration. She spent 8 years in Washington as the wife of the president and was heavily involved in his administration. She was then elected as a Senator. For her to then claim that she was somehow caught unaware doesn't hold water.

And yeah, I read the entire speech, and it illustrates another of the things I don't like about her, the non-answer answer that can be mined to support any position.

She approved a Dick Cheney sanctioned war. Anyone who argues against the fact that she didn't know the implications is really just denying her agency as an adult person.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mixodorian posted:

She never said that.

Hillary is terrible and, based on what John Podesta said to the UAE ambassador to the US just 3 days ago, wants to kill Iranians.

Trump is worse, therefore the best option is for Hillary to win but relentlessly rally public pressure for her to not do evil things.

You don't need to reflexively defend her, or try to assassinate the character of Jill Stein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGQjaSJP2Xg

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mixodorian posted:

She never said that.

Afraid she did, we do need to defend her as people go out of their way to make wide statements against her. Did you know Hillary single handedly started the Iraq war to satiate her bloodlust for Iraqis?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

BaDandy posted:

Yeah that actually made me giggle. Jill "Really Really Into Crystals Probably" Stein and Gary "DID NOT KNOW WHAT ALEPPO IS" Johnson.

I just cought up on Oliver's last few shows and I had to laugh at the serious segment dedicated to Gary & Jill.

I just wish he covered thread favorite Vermin Supreme, or perhaps newcomer to presidential races "Deez Nuts", but it was refreshing to hear from relative outsider "Mr Exotic." and his tiger sanctuary.

More seriously, it was good that he shredded their complete lack of actual policy or ability to come up with coherent proposals. How the gently caress did Johnson run a state? He didn't seem capable of managing a hotdog cart.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mixodorian posted:

I really don't because Stein does that by herself.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

cyphr555 posted:

This actually got me curious about early voting policies across all of the states; I found this map which as far as I can tell is accurate for 2016. Someone please correct me if it's out of date.

Hawaii has been a state for 57 years. Why is it still left off maps always? They couldn't even bother putting a bullshit little East-coast-like abbreviation for it?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Not only did she say that, she doubled down on it in her Reddit AMA, although she couched it in plenty of "we just can't take the risk" bullshit. Stein is like the living embodiment of the bougie NIMBY upper class white liberal stereotype.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Neeksy posted:

Anybody using the Giant Douche vs Turd Sandwich dichotomy for this election should not be taken seriously at this point. Hillary Clinton has plenty of negatives, none of which are unusual for most American politicians; but saying that she's equally as terrible as anybody the GOP was going to put forth (let alone Donald) is reaching heavily for a "pox on both houses" equivalency which misses any of the very thought and nuance they supposedly want from their idealized, conceptual candidate that will never exist.

Criticism of Clinton is valid, but these purity tests asked of people who clearly already understand her faults is pointless.

It usually comes off like long-term sour grapes with regard to the primary. Starry-eyed idealists so upset about what amounts to political worldliness that the distance between reality and their daydreams makes all the differences among the actual candidates seem invisible. Either that or it's the same old ronpaul gang latching on to the first aging firebrand they bump into because reasons.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Even if she didn't say that specifically she has a knack for legitimizing pseudoscience woooloolooo that actually kills people. Sacks of poo poo like antivaxxers do not deserve anything beyond scientific evidence proving they're wrong and shaming.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Mulva posted:

It's done something just as good, it's sped them up. Economic and diplomatic pressure *are* hurting Russia, badly, and their imperialistic bullshit and election tomfuckery are an attempt to look big in the face of that. The thing is, none of it is working out very well for them in the sense of making Russia more secure and prosperous. And the sanctions and diplomatic pressure continue to gently caress them in ways great or small. Indeed, all their screwing around is likely to increase the sanctions and diplomatic pressure. People think of conflict as jets and tanks and no fly zones and rah rah bullshit, when the truth of the matter is the real conflict with Russia is effectively going to be aggressive accounting and tariffs and blocking trade deals. And we'll devastate them doing it.

It just doesn't make for sexy press releases. Or even emotionally satisfaction really, which is where the danger comes. People thinking we aren't doing anything, or aren't doing enough, and wanting to escalate. It's hard to have the patience to know what we are doing is exactly the most damaging thing to do to Russia.

I agree with that, but it's not (immediately, obviously) successful in the sense that it gets them to back down - they're going to flail and lash out even harder before they finally stop. Thats why my original post was something like: Hillary will propose a no-fly over syria, either directly to Russia or via the UN. Either way, it will be rejected. Expanding on that, the obvious next step is to go to European leaders, point at the refugee crisis and Russia making it worse, and get them to tighten the sanctions. That's not hawkishness or being a warmonger, it's diplomacy. It's not as satisfying to some as "Do this or else you'll be finding out what the only real military on the planet is capable of", but it's good policy.

Maybe she'll actually have a hawkish policy somewhere where a nuclear power isn't already involved, but that's not Syria.

Edit: I'm posting too fast. Edits in italics.

Harik fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 1, 2016

Broshevik
Mar 25, 2011

No Pain

Mixodorian posted:

She never said that.

https://np.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5a2d2l/title_jill_stein_answers_your_questions/d9d867l/

She dances the poo poo around it but yeah, "let's follow the science where it takes us".

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

He didn't do it for the same reason Ford pardoned Nixon. It wouldn't have done any good.

Of course it would have done good, it would have dramatically re-established norms and established a precedent for the prosecution of future criminals. It would be a massive pushback from generations of increasingly imperial presidencies. It would have been very good.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Not only did she say that, she doubled down on it in her Reddit AMA, although she couched it in plenty of "we just can't take the risk" bullshit. Stein is like the living embodiment of the bougie NIMBY upper class white liberal stereotype.

stein and johnson both agree that vaccines shouldn't be mandatory and love the reefer and abortions what other issues are there

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

She also does this while pandering to anti-vaxxers, so yeah. :v:

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
To the three people that jumped on me for daring to defend Jill Stein... did you watch the linked video? She never said "wifi hurts us". She makes a broad point that we should be more careful about what we expose our population to until it is better understood.

There is no conclusive evidence on the safety of wi-fi. Perhaps we shouldn't have it in children's schools where the internet connection could just as easily be wired.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24162060

If you have school access check it out. It is a very thorough look into wi-fi and health. The conclusion is that we do not know enough to make a firm conclusion. I doubt it is dangerous but the fact that there is no hard science either way tells me to keep my mind open on this one for now.

This is infinitely better than enabling the murder of Iraqis anyways... just saying.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

What are your feelings on flouridation?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mixodorian posted:

Stein and Johnson are only saved from being the biggest idiots in this entire election cycle by the existence of Trump.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mixodorian posted:

There is no conclusive evidence on the safety of wi-fi. Perhaps we shouldn't have it in children's schools where the internet connection could just as easily be wired.

lmao do cell phones cause cancer too

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mixodorian posted:

To the three people that jumped on me for daring to defend Jill Stein... did you watch the linked video? She never said "wifi hurts us". She makes a broad point that we should be more careful about what we expose our population to until it is better understood.

If you have school access check it out. It is a very thorough look into wi-fi and health. The conclusion is that we do not know enough to make a firm conclusion. I doubt it is dangerous but the fact that there is no hard science either way tells me to keep my mind open on this one for now.

This is infinitely better than enabling the murder of Iraqis anyways... just saying.

You're being dog piled only because of the wifi thing, by the way. Jill Stein deserves no defending.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mixodorian posted:

Ahaha, just asking questions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
the end is nigh

• Locked thread