Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

botany posted:

Do you have a link or a source or something for this story? I'd like to read more on that.

It's from a William T Rowe book "China's last Empire"

It's part of the Belknap/ Harvard collection about the history of Imperial China.

The full quote is:

quote:

"In 1688 Tong Guogang, an officer of the Chinese Plain Blue Banner, petitioned the Kangxi emperor to change his officially registered ethnicity from "Chinese-martial" (hanjun) to "Manchu". His great-uncle Tong Bunian had been been born in Liadong around 1580 but moved to Wuchang in central China. As a Wuchang native, he passed the metropolitan examination in 1616 served the Ming as a country magistrate, and later headed up the dynasty's military defences in the northeast. After a disastrous defeat Tong Bunian was accused of treason and died in prison in 1625, fervently proclaiming his loyalty to the Ming. His son Guoqi grew up in Wuchang and there composed a genealogy defending his father's Chinese patriotism by demonstrating descent from no fewer than ten generations of heroic Ming soldiers. But when Guoqi was taken captive during the Qing conquest of the Yangzi region in 1645 he and his family were impressed into the Chinese Plain Blue Banner.

As it turned out, other Tong men of Liaodong ancestry- men whom Guoqi had cadidly included in his genealogy- had been just as heroic in the cause of the conquering Qing armies as Tong Bunian had been in defense of the Ming. Indeed, one of those would become the maternal grandfather of the Kangxi emperor, making Tong Guogang himself Kanxi's uncle! The emperor thus granted Guogang's petition for reclasification as Manchu, noting, however, that it would be administratively awkward to similarly reclassify too many of his distant kin. From that day forward Tong Guogang and certain relatives of his became Manchus while others remained Chinese. In this time and place, ethnic identities were far from genetically predetermined but were flexible, ambigious and negotiable"

The citation for this is Crossley "The Tong in two worlds".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Subjunctive posted:

What is the responsibility, and as regards what specific psychosis? I'm genuinely sensitive to others' mental health issues, so I don't want to put anyone at risk through bad posting.

I am a diagnosed schizophrenic. I have been very upfront about declaring this when writing my analysis of this election.

That said )addressing the thread in general now) I respectfully state that I would prefer that an argument about my mental state be avoided. I have done my best to present my ideas, written honestly from my perspective as a [person coping with mental illness. Not that its any of anyone's business, but my therapist is aware of this thread and has been very supportive of this project.

From my viewpoint I am representing a minority of sorts, and trying to demonstrate that despite the marked differences in our manner of thought, (the mentally healthy vs those who are not) I still have a valid experience of reality and can still make a valuable contribution to society. I have done my best to represent my work with a giant disclaimer explaining that I am not an expert, but rather someone with an unusual perspective and an unusual way of explaining their ideas. I present my ideas for consideration and evaluation, in the hope that maybe there is enough validity to some of them to warrant further study by actual credentialed professionals.

With all that said, a discussion about the theoretical impact this forum is having on my mental state feels quite dis inclusive, as if I am being disqualified from the discussion simply for being different. So please, discussing my ideas and their pro's or cons is fine, but please do not make me or my mental state the subject of discussion. Unless I give some indication that I am becoming unstable or my behavior is disrupting the forum in some manner, I do not feel that theoretical discussions about my present mental state (one way or the other) are proper or germane.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

What is the responsibility, and as regards what specific psychosis? I'm genuinely sensitive to others' mental health issues, so I don't want to put anyone at risk through bad posting.

they make long boring posts, and is also a schizo narcissist

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

What bullshit. Are they still trying to decide between Hillary and Johnson or what?

From what I gather, their editorial board is pretty diverse politically (some conservatives and libertarians), and they couldn't come to a consensus on whether or not to endorse Hillary. The editorial does say that a vote for Hillary is the best way to prevent a Trump presidency though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

I am a diagnosed schizophrenic. I have been very upfront about declaring this when writing my analysis of this election.

That said )addressing the thread in general now) I respectfully state that I would prefer that an argument about my mental state be avoided. I have done my best to present my ideas, written honestly from my perspective as a [person coping with mental illness. Not that its any of anyone's business, but my therapist is aware of this thread and has been very supportive of this project.

From my viewpoint I am representing a minority of sorts, and trying to demonstrate that despite the marked differences in our manner of thought, (the mentally healthy vs those who are not) I still have a valid experience of reality and can still make a valuable contribution to society. I have done my best to represent my work with a giant disclaimer explaining that I am not an expert, but rather someone with an unusual perspective and an unusual way of explaining their ideas. I present my ideas for consideration and evaluation, in the hope that maybe there is enough validity to some of them to warrant further study by actual credentialed professionals.

With all that said, a discussion about the theoretical impact this forum is having on my mental state feels quite dis inclusive, as if I am being disqualified from the discussion simply for being different. So please, discussing my ideas and their pro's or cons is fine, but please do not make me or my mental state the subject of discussion. Unless I give some indication that I am becoming unstable or my behavior is disrupting the forum in some manner, I do not feel that theoretical discussions about my present mental state (one way or the other) are proper or germane.

see, this is what you're encouraging, who wants to read this crap

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Geostomp posted:

I imagine that we'll see another Trump-esque figure, but slightly more competent within the next decade or so to try to pick up what he did. I mean, David Duke is already trying to win a Senate seat.

Definitely.

The question is whether they will be able to break out of the alt-right sphere. Trump had the benefit of already being a media personality and having a reputation as a rich businessman. Without the early free media coverage which bypassed the usual gatekeepers to the GOP nomination, Trump would have been dead in the water.

My fear is that we get someone coming out of Silicon Valley. Many of the rich founders are just straight up nuts and give Trump decent competition for the prize of most delusional self-image. And they have lots of money.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Prester Jane posted:

:thoughtful post asking for responsibility and calm at this time:

Got it Pj. You keep safe.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm feeling quite concerned that a category 3 hurricane may impact the east coast.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

mandatory lesbian posted:

I do. Don't be a jerk

Grouchio posted:

I'm feeling quite concerned that a category 3 hurricane may impact the east coast.

Glad I'm flying out of the country, possibly forever, tomorrow

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lozzle posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?
They make long boring posts, and is also a schizo narcissist.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

I like your posting PJ, keep it up.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Short sometimes funny posts and also a speed addict

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

i have never made a long post!!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Prester Jane's posts are really interesting and insightful, and I hope she keeps them up. One of the best things about this thread, besides the dunkin' on Trump, is hearing from people from different backgrounds and different parts of the country. Helps those of us who live in one bubble or another get some perspective on things.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Squidster posted:

An incredible moron on my FB wall:

Help me out goons - I'm sure with Trump's infinite poo poo-spewing spiral that he's probably tweeted about banning/censoring all the precious vidja games. A quick google just finds Brietbart complaining about libs bullying Trump via parody games, and I don't have y'alls deep understanding of Trump history. Is there good exploitable vidja game drama in Trump's past?

the fight to censor video game content died when it became one of the top forms of media consumed globally. It's bankrolled using Hollywood funds like a motherfucker. The Military here uses it as a wing of their recruitment media. Your friend is worried about nothing in a world filled with poo poo to actually worry about.

Here, put it simply to him, like this: The planet's dyin', Cloud.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i have never made a long post!!
the klk dickgirl art was pretty long, if you catch my drift

Armani posted:

Put it this way: the fight to censor video game content died when it became one of the top forms of media consumed globally. It's bankrolled using Hollywood funds like a motherfucker. The Military here uses it as a wing of their recruitment media. Your friend is worried about nothing in a world filled with poo poo to actually worry about.
i dont get people who are still mad about the fight to censor video games because, like, it wound up at a pretty agreeable place. the ESRB isn't perfect but it's a sight better than the movie ratings board, and there definitely needs to be some sort of rating system in place.

I guess you could make the argument that some games in the late 90s/early 2000s got 'censored' in localization or had content removed out of worry about ratings, but that era is pretty much over.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot
If you are a single-issue voter and that issue is video games you probably shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

i am the bird posted:

Race is completely nonsensical, though. The census used to have a category for "Hindu" that covered various peoples from Asia and the Middle East. This guy's challenge for citizenship reveals a bunch of weird as gently caress racial understandings from just 100 years ago: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Bhagat_Singh_Thind
See also Roldan v. Los Angeles, where the state of California spent years trying to prove Filipinos were 'of the Mongoloid race' rather than 'the Malay race' because a Filipino man and a white lady wanted to get married, and interbreeding with 'Mongoloids', specifically, was unacceptable.

(Spoiler: the time between the state Supreme Court refusing to dispute the lower court ruling that Filipinos were in fact 'Malays' and the state amending the law to add white-Malay marriage to the list of illegal unions was approx. one week.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lozzle posted:

If you are a single-issue voter and that issue is video games you probably shouldn't be allowed to vote.
besides, only one of these candidates was in nba jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlRI-KsGOrc

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Me, for one among many. PJ's a better poster than you for starters.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Apraxin posted:

See also Roldan v. Los Angeles, where the state of California spent years trying to prove Filipinos were 'of the Mongoloid race' rather than 'the Malay race' because a Filipino man and a white lady wanted to get married, and interbreeding with 'Mongoloids', specifically, was unacceptable.

(Spoiler: the time between the state Supreme Court refusing to dispute the lower court ruling that Filipinos were in fact 'Malays' and the state amending the law to add white-Malay marriage to the list of illegal unions was approx. one week.)

Sometimes I hate America.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

they make long boring posts, and is also a schizo narcissist

Yeah I don't understand how these musings somehow turned into tea leaves that can determine Donald Trumps state of mind?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

the klk dickgirl art was pretty long, if you catch my drift

i dont get people who are still mad about the fight to censor video games because, like, it wound up at a pretty agreeable place. the ESRB isn't perfect but it's a sight better than the movie ratings board, and there definitely needs to be some sort of rating system in place.

I guess you could make the argument that some games in the late 90s/early 2000s got 'censored' in localization or had content removed out of worry about ratings, but that era is pretty much over.

And the entirety of the ESRB is rendered moot if you have someone over the age of 18 buying the game, regardless of the age of the gamer themselves. I've sold more copies of GTA V to underage kids than adults thanks to the 'older sibling'/'grandma' loophole.

Like, video games have never been more violent and easier to acquire. It's a complete non-issue just with piracy, alone.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lozzle posted:

honestly video game companies could do with more regulation, but also all companies

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Armani posted:

And the entirety of the ESRB is rendered moot if you have someone over the age of 18 buying the game. I've sold more copies of GTA V to underage kids than adults thanks to the 'older sibling'/'grandma' loophole.

Wow, somebody should be arrested.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Endorph posted:

besides, only one of these candidates was in nba jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlRI-KsGOrc

Is it possible some genius nerd saint out there has modded Trump into this as well so we could literally see mi abuela actually dunking on him?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm having a bit of trouble with the fact that Paul Ryan hasn't been taken down by Trumps campaign yet.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

honestly video game companies could do with more regulation, but also all companies

Yeah really when you think about it regulating video game companies is the same as regulating energy or financial services or whatever, they're all just companies right

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Apraxin posted:

The concept of race as we know it has only ever been useful for trying to reinforce societal inequality. The whole reason it's so important today it is such a useful political tool to gather support from people without having to actually do anything for them beyond than hurt the nebulous outgroups while enriching yourself.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
We should build a wall around the East coast and put turbines in it to make the ocean pay for it.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010

lmao if you weren't emulating SNES games in highschool post-2000 and PSX stuff as soon as it became available. That's some real basic poo poo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

speng31b posted:

Yeah really when you think about it regulating video game companies is the same as regulating energy or financial services or whatever, they're all just companies right

hmm, this might be what you think i'm saying, if you're an idiot

speng31b
May 8, 2010

hmm, this might be what you think i'm saying, if you're an idiot

No you have it wrong, I think you're an idiot because of other things you've said over a few pages of lovely posting and worked backwards from there to reach a conclusion.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

a.lo posted:

Wow, somebody should be arrested.

Hey, by law I am required to tell customers everything in the game - and I do. Everytime.

They don't care, at least most don't. There are a few parents who get absolutely lied to by their children and can't be hosed to google the game they're buying - I am always happy to shatter the delusion, unless it leads into an assbeating for the child, which can happen. :/

I've talked about this on the site before how the biggest issue in GTA V with typical suburb parents is you play as Franklin and Lamar for the first three hours of the game and have had the game returned by that alone. No problems with the alcoholic deadbeat and meth dealing cannibal on the cover, though. And the kids don't loving care because the Story of barely repressed love between Trevor and Michael has no effect because they're 12. Parents and most adults know different.

That game in particular is a huge pain in the rear end - ever a parent blame you for their kid stealing their CC to buy $500 of in-game White Shark Cards?

Other protests and returns I've had is with sexual charged games like DoA or Bayonetta or Segan Kagera. Stuff like absolutely amazing games like 999 being returned because of female designs.

I did have one mom who returned Black Ops lll and bought Halo: MCC because Halo has aliens for her child to kill and not fellow humans.

People are weird, man. I'd quit if I had any hope of better! :smith:

Armani fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 1, 2016

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nah, mandatory lesbian's boring posts are short.

Learn to vary your boring post length you two.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Just chiming in to say that Prester Jane is cool, her posts are good, and stigmatizing her because of her mental health is unbelievably tasteless and unacceptable

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Everyone's posts, are bad

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Just chiming in to say that Prester Jane is cool, her posts are good, and stigmatizing her because of her mental health is unbelievably tasteless and unacceptable

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

My fear is that we get someone coming out of Silicon Valley. Many of the rich founders are just straight up nuts and give Trump decent competition for the prize of most delusional self-image. And they have lots of money.

I think, using the infallible tools of stereotyping and preconception, that silicon valley billionaires would think they were too good to run for public office. I don't think they'd have it in them to try and conceal their terrible ideas to try and win favor with ordinary people

They could be(already are?) a new donor class for dumping tons of money into conservative/libertarian causes for increasingly marginal returns though

• Locked thread