Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
I don't remember where I read it but I recall some evangelical source talking about how Trump to them is like Cyrus the great, in that Cyrus was a non Jew who nonetheless has a special place in history because he helped the Jews so much in restoring them, Trump is a non-goodly Christian destined to restore Christianity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

I physically couldn't stop myself from doing a slight jig as I walked this morning

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Sean Hannity appears to be comparing trump favorably to King David and his 500 concubines now on his show

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

I think I'll have engagements tomorrow which will prevent me from being able to see the debate. I'm glad in a way because it's such an intense event with so much wrapped up in it just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach, even though I know realistically it can't save trump's campaign at this point.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Anyone saying trump won is being absurd. It was a wash at the very best for him. Trump is finished, its just a matter of time.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The important thing to remember is this; Trump has shot himself in the foot harder than ever before with the comments about women. He needs to get people back onto his ticket, and nothing he did in the debate is gonna do that. Cause its all just poo poo he's said before. Isis bad. Economy bad. Obamacare bad. Immigrants bad. Trump good. Make America great again.

He defended his comments about women in one of the worst ways possible.

Basically this: the only thing that mattered in this debate was how Trump responded to the pussy grabbing and he blew it, it's over.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

These post-tape polls are just going to keep pouring in, aren't they:dance:

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Zarin posted:

Aren't there some drugs that make you want to disassemble things?

Maybe meth?

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

So WikiLeaks is basically 100% an arm of Trump's campaign at this point. Nice.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Man I remember when WikiLeaks was like a big cool thing with the far left (which I identified with at the time), its just so surreal to basically see them posting propaganda for Donald loving Trump on their twitter page.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

This argument is loving stupid

"Trump won't and can't win"
"B-b-b but there's a 1% chance!"

BTW Shook Nate's Model is one of the most favorable for trump, Sam Wang's last time I looked basically had him at 4-5% and he put up a blog post saying that yeah, basically he won't win.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

The only remotely plausible scenario I see where trump possibly wins is a combination of Clinton having some major gaffe, getting sick again, WikiLeaks coming out with something really bad, and some sort of news story coming out that somehow makes it look somewhat plausible that Trump's accusers are lying, and another major islamic terrorist attack on the scale of Pulse, and after all that his chances of winning would not be great. So yeah, lol.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

I live in the south and even before the Trump phenomenon there was latent anti-semitism here, I have friends who sometimes would call cheating someone "jew"ing them, etc. Anti-semitism has been a big thing on /pol/ as well long before Trump, like so many other things about the Trump campaign, the anti-semitism is just a revealing and intensifying of what was very much already there if you looked.

Trump himself veers closer and closer to overt anti-semitism every day (excluding the sheriff incident) with his talk about the evil international cabal of bankers who want to subvert US national sovereignty to allow in a horde of third-world immigrants with open borders. That's basically word for word what neo-nazis have been saying is the Jewish plan for years, that an international cabal of Jewish elite want to encourage immigration of non-whites into white countries to cause race mixing and weaken the white race and make them more docile and controllable.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Cingulate posted:

I doubt Trump himself actually has an anti-semitic bone in his body. I'm not quite sure why his conspiracy theories perfectly align with antisemitic conspiracies, but then, you have to admit that at some point, Jews have been blamed for basically everything, ever.

I honestly don't think that Trump believed 50% of the things he's campaigning on until he ran and started succeeding and a swarm of yes men Nazi advisers swarmed around him to mold him into the perfect white nationalist candidate they've been waiting for, and he's still resisting them slightly: see the way he makes bizarre nods towards helping black people vs the way the typical alt-righter view black people. There's still time for them to get some genuine anti-semitism into his head and it's probably happening as we speak now that Bannon is more or less in charge.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Isn't that just White Man's Burden poo poo? I really don't see the Alt Right incapable of imagining themselves the Last Rhodesians.
Nah, the basic alt-right view of black people is that they are animalistic savages who should be shunned and kept separate at best and kicked out of the country at worst, and are really quite beyond helping as they are genetically predisposed not to work and be violent.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

The very standard way of viewing anti-semitism through the leftist lens is that it takes what would be critiques of the structure of society itself and its own functioning (the way is it undemocratic, exploitative, ruled by elites etc.) and instead points to a small scapegoat group to pour all fear and anxiety and hatred towards the order of things onto. The fascist/anti-semitic myth is that it's not capitalism* or our own society which is exploitative, soulless, destructive, inefficient, etc: When our society is working in its organic totality it functions more or less perfectly, it's when the corrosive influence of the outsider i.e. Jew (who importantly is seen as having no real national identity) comes in that we have problems.

Real anger that might be directed towards institutions or the upper class is therefore deflected: "it's not the rich that are the problem, it's the Jewish rich" "its not capitalism that's flawed, it's the influence of the Jewish elite in capitalism", "if we could just eliminate them our society would function perfectly" etc. Various fascist or fascist adjacent movements have their own take on this. Sometimes it's not the Jew that is the figure of the corrosive force, for people like Alex Jones it's just the blank figure of the "Globalist", which, well, we can point out that for many people, including maybe for him, that's just a code for the Jew, but yeah. Note how a lot of right wing ideology fits this mold just without reference to the figure of the Jew. Criticism of the system is always deflected away in that the system would work fine if it wasn't for those darn "special interests" and "liberal elite" which we just need a big strong man to clear away.

*When I say capitalism here I just mean the system of market exchange and private property, all that stuff that is the structure of capitalism. The Nazis claimed to be very anti-capitalist in that they identified the signifier "capitalism" with Jews, but their real vision for society was not really post-capitalist in any way.

Jygallax fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 16, 2016

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Of course Trump birthday parties are a thing, what planet do think you're on?

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

saltylopez posted:

I wonder how much South Park could be blamed for the popularity of anti-semitism among the alt-right. While anti-semitism has been a thing forever, I feel like South Park sort of brought it back into the mainstream and primed some millenials (intentionally or not) to accept these sorts of messages.

I say this as someone who enjoys the show.

I feel like the jokey anti-semitism in South Park was something that half the audience got and was like "haha that's funny how hosed up that is" and the other half of the audience was like "haha yeah Jews sure are greedy and manipulative". The second half then went on to go meme on 4chan.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

This is why you don't use facebook people.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

I just realized I don't actually really know any Trump supporters in real life. The closest I come is a friend of my mom who I've met once or twice who's a self-hating old white woman who things women aren't qualified to be leaders.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Cingulate posted:

To begin with, does anybody believe he understands The Cyber well enough?

No but his son does. Barron Trump Russian spy confirmed.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Phone posted:

Oh god, I just remembered that literally the only place that Trump has a GOTV effort is in Israel.

How the hell is Trump's campaign squaring that circle when it comes to his core base being a bunch of anti-Semites and white supremacists?

The short answer is: the part of his base that likes Israel believes him when he praises Israel, and the part of his base that hates Jews just tells themselves that he's only pretending to like Israel since they won't let you get anywhere in politics without supporting them.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Sensible Thursday posted:

Remember that time Trump tried to out Jon Stewart as a secret Jew?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/327076720425451523

Huh :catstare:

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

The wall is easily the second least poo poo Trump policy proposal after infrastructure investment, taken in isolation. Worst case scenario, it's a gigantic useless Keynesian boondoggle, and we could really use some Keynesian boondoggles. Best case, it's a gigantic Keynesian boondoggle with nonzero positive impact and little to no negative impact (lines the pockets of successful coyote a little more, I guess).

The rhetoric around it, on the other hand, is horrific.

Spending huge amounts of money on a giant useless piece of concrete in the desert and the people to man and maintain it would automatically be horrible just on the grounds that the money could be spent on literally anything else.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

I'm so thankful Egg McMuffin is doing his thing and screwing over Trump in Utah.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Man I forgot about the ground zero mosque. Looking back, that more than anything really presaged the rise of Trump, it was basically more or less pure anger over the mere fact that muslims exist and live in the US.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Lol@ that WSJ article. Look! A guy said to Fox News that it was all corrupt!

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Andrast posted:

What the gently caress is dark enlightenment?

Short answer: people who unironically think we need to return to the mores and social structures the Medieval era

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

So the right wing internet is currently freaking out right now because some rando made a jokey tweet saying they were a postal worker in Ohio and love tearing up Trump absentee ballots. Lol.

e:(a rando who lives in California)

Jygallax fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 18, 2016

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

GalacticAcid posted:

That was noted Twitter jokester @randygdub. Did the news of this make mainstream sources?

Chris Hayes did a funny segment on it, check out the twitter page lol

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Trump always wins on visceral; his news of groping women and stuff grabs the mind like nothing else, but how much of a thing is today's news about the state department and the FBI?

edit: it's like 10 articles down on the BBC's page, so I want to think it isn't a big deal, but maybe it's because there are just so many more visceral things going on right now.

Its a big deal if you want to think its a big deal, it isn't if you don't (it isn't)

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

I still can't get over Ecuador's statement. It's just too good.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

:geno:

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

I don't think anyone is likely to not vote for a candidate they are considering based on the actions of a bus driver associated with their campaign.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every opinion that Bill Mitchell has seems precision engineered to be the absolute opposite in every way of what I believe.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

I'm really curious to see the Utah results on election day.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Yeah, wait, what? that margin for Colorado seems insane doesn't it? unless they swapped the names in the tweet accidentally?

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

I'm no mathemagician but I feel like Trump +7 in Colorado all the sudden has to be an error. The most recent 3 polls in the 538 aggregator for Colorado have Clinton +10 +6 and +8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Surveymonkey is not a scientific poll. They're C- on 538. They're below RASMUSSEN.

I see

• Locked thread