Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People talking about left 4 dead makes me want to reinstall and play it again. Does anyone else want to do that tomorrow or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I would but my graphics card exploded yesterday

I had this great skin of Coach as Oscar from Shark Tale

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What are the big selling points of Civ 6? I like 4X games but I feel pretty happy with Endless Legend and Civ 5 for the moment.

There's a good preview on RockPaperShotgun and it sounds like they revamped everything across the board. Cities and empires are more focused on specific goals and play styles. Diplomacy is more complex with every nation having a randomized hidden agenda. Research is separated into two separate trees, culture and science. Early game sounds much more interesting with more complex barbarian AI. Worker units are now builder units for making districts and no more road building.

It's probably best to wait for reviews and such but my read is that it's at the very least a worthy successor.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'm thinking of making my 2017 Gaming themed. In that, each month I play a specific kind of game and only that sort of game for the whole month in order to whittle down my backlog.

So far I have

Japanuary - Jrpgs and games from the Japanese developers.
Fpsbruary - 1st person shooters only.
March -
April -
May -
June -
July -
August -
September -
Spooktober - Scary games/games designed to create fear.
Neverember - Classics I own that I've never gotten round to (scary amount of this).
Indecember - Indie Games.

Can anyone help with suggestions months and styles of games?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Kirby Superstore! posted:

I'm thinking of making my 2017 Gaming themed. In that, each month I play a specific kind of game and only that sort of game for the whole month in order to whittle down my backlog.

So far I have

March! - RTS/Grand Strategy games
April Scours - Metroidvanias, exploration games
May -
June -
July -
Just August? - Stealth games
SeptVNber - Visual Novels, story heavy games like firewatch or w/e
Neverember - Classics I own that I've never gotten round to (scary amount of this).

That's all I got, sorry.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah, March has to be strategy / war stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Games with lots of bosses in June.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
June-io Kun, the month where you play nothing but Kunio Kun games like River City Ransom and Super Dodgeball

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Kirby Superscare! posted:

So far I have

March -
April -
May -
June -
July -
August -
September -

Artifex April - hidden object games
MetroidMaynia
Randomly Junerated - roguelike games
Boo-ly - spooky games in the summer
Au-Gust - nothing but atelier games
Strangetember - weird games like The Void, Pathologic, EYE Divine Cybermancy
Coin-Optober - arcade games
Point n Click Advember

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Playing through this weird French indie RPG called Off, because people told me it was better than LISA and Undertale. So far its incredibly weird and kind of depressing.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Archer666 posted:

Playing through this weird French indie RPG called Off, because people told me it was better than LISA and Undertale. So far its incredibly weird and kind of depressing.

Other games you should play if you're in that wheelhouse: Ib, Space Funeral, Yume Nikki

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ib is such a good game

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Games with lots of bosses in June.

Yeah, June is Boss Month. Maybe May or August for life sim games in the vein of the Harvest Moons, Ateliers, Animal Crossing and so forth?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sup everybody, how's everyone doing?

I'm looking up costuming poo poo because I might throw together a cheapo costume for an upcoming anime convention, a costume that'd only require some baggy clothes, a burlap sack, and some rope, but idk how much it'd cost.

I want to try putting together this costume from this horror anthology manga

What is everybody else up to?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

FirstAidKite posted:

I've been meaning to expose myself to more American games so I booted up the original Uncharted off the Nathan Drake Collection. It's pretty neat so far, though pressing X every time to jump off cliffs and grab ledges can get annoying and I hope they fixed it to a Zelda-style auto-jump in later games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

did some writing and beat two more games tonight (Sideway New York and a hidden object game)

tomorrow I will start either on Titan Quest or Halfway (not related to Sideway). also Win the Game (which is not a meme but an early game by the Eldritch/Neon Struct devs that's free on Steam)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

FirstAidKite posted:

Recording and editing mostly.

I did re-download AC4 to get some pirating going on and... it runs like arse on my 970. I'm talking 40fps with a few options tuned down, no idea what's up with that since my 660 could handle it perfectly. Not really going to lose sleep over it if I can't find a solution though, I've already played a lot of it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Now, I generally don't say this, but this game's only selling point is the character (more specifically; the ability to mod the character.) There is no other reason to buy this game. The character is so hypersexualized they were trying to make up for the lack of actual game they had. Don't get me wrong, I love playing lewd/sexy/nude characters in games and generally mod games like skyrim for this because it's fun. But that only works when you have the gameplay to back it up. This game does not. If you want to run around a Portal 2 facility in third person staring at the ♥♥♥ of a naked girl, then buy the game. You will not get any other kind of enjoyment out of this.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've rarely felt as embarrassed watching a trailer as I have for that game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Control Volume posted:

Now, I generally don't say this, but this game's only selling point is the character (more specifically; the ability to mod the character.) There is no other reason to buy this game. The character is so hypersexualized they were trying to make up for the lack of actual game they had. Don't get me wrong, I love playing lewd/sexy/nude characters in games and generally mod games like skyrim for this because it's fun. But that only works when you have the gameplay to back it up. This game does not. If you want to run around a Portal 2 facility in third person staring at the ♥♥♥ of a naked girl, then buy the game. You will not get any other kind of enjoyment out of this.

when are you going to finish the rollercoaster tycoon lp

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

glam rock hamhock posted:

I've rarely felt as embarrassed watching a trailer as I have for that game.

I'm more embarrassed by the people who are defending buying it on the ground that they're doing it ironically to totally stick it to the people criticizing it, both because you'd think that after Hatred was a steaming turd they would know better and also because it's the video game equivalent of :nws:this Onion article:nws:.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

I did re-download AC4 to get some pirating going on and... it runs like arse on my 970. I'm talking 40fps with a few options tuned down, no idea what's up with that since my 660 could handle it perfectly. Not really going to lose sleep over it if I can't find a solution though, I've already played a lot of it.

The problem is very likely driver related, I can assure you of that.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I've been meaning to expose myself to more American games so I booted up the original Uncharted off the Nathan Drake Collection. It's pretty neat so far, though pressing X every time to jump off cliffs and grab ledges can get annoying and I hope they fixed it to a Zelda-style auto-jump in later games

I havent played any of the uncharted games, mainly because they never caught my interest and also I don't have the right console for them. I'm glad you're having fun with it though, I've heard they are good games. I remember seeing the speedrun of it a few GDQs back and it was pretty hilarious.

Quest For Glory II posted:

did some writing and beat two more games tonight (Sideway New York and a hidden object game)

tomorrow I will start either on Titan Quest or Halfway (not related to Sideway). also Win the Game (which is not a meme but an early game by the Eldritch/Neon Struct devs that's free on Steam)

What kind of writing? Also, is Sideway that game where you play as like graffiti or something, I remember some game where you looked like a graffiti drawing and sideway sounds familiar.

Titan Quest is something I've been meaning to play too. Farthest I've ever gotten was up to Leonidas which is like...5% of the way into the game maybe??? It'd be like if I said the furthest I got into Mario 64 was Thwomp's Fortress.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I do not miss the recording and editing LP processes at all lol, that poo poo took for-fuckin-ever and was boring as hell.

AC4 is one of the two AC games I'm actually interested in trying, I've heard it's a pretty good game. I doubt I could run it though, and even if I could, I don't think I'd want to sink any time into it at this moment in time, too many other games I'm working my way through.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Kirby Superscare! posted:

So far I have

March -
April -
May -
June -
July -
August -
September -

Celebrate Christmas in july and only play ice levels for the month

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ostentatious posted:

The problem is very likely driver related, I can assure you of that.
Most likely, but I probably won't bother researching it too much, if a bit of googling and fiddling with settings doesn't fix it I'll go back to working on my backlog. :v:

FirstAidKite posted:

I do not miss the recording and editing LP processes at all lol, that poo poo took for-fuckin-ever and was boring as hell.

AC4 is one of the two AC games I'm actually interested in trying, I've heard it's a pretty good game. I doubt I could run it though, and even if I could, I don't think I'd want to sink any time into it at this moment in time, too many other games I'm working my way through.
I like it! Recording is the most stressful part since if I screw something up, a conversation doesn't trigger correctly or I forget to show something or pick up a collectible I need to either start over again or start looking for places to cut the video without it being too obvious or breaking flow.

I'm quite enjoying the actual editing and subtitling process; it gives me an excuse to experiment with video editing and learn the tools. The real bummer is encoding and uploading something, sometimes it takes longer than the actual work I put into an update.

/edit: ahahaha, fuuuuuuuuuuck. I finished typing that and realised that updating the video driver for the AC4 issue made my sub program crash, I lost 2/3s of my next update. :negative:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 2, 2016

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Just 11 more days until I get a PS4! :coffeepal:

Also is Dragon Quest 7 on 3DS any good

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Also is Dragon Quest 7 on 3DS any good

It's very big and a very slow burn. I like it, but some others don't for those very reasons.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I know that No Man's Sky is old hat but these last two minutes are such an amazing cosmic joke that if it was intentional it would be brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd8vLJ66Vhc&t=1896s

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yesterday I was looking through the nominees for one of those terrible video game award shows coming up and No Man's Sky was nominated for almost every single category

e: http://www.gamesradar.com/goldenjoystickawards/

Best Original Game
Best Visual Design
Best Audio
Best Indie Game
Innovation of the Year
Studio of the Year
Game of the Year
Playstation Game of the Year

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 2, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm not sure what makes NMS innovative but I honestly can't think of any innovative games this year besides pokemon go, and that's just ingress with pokeball tossing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

tap my mountain posted:

I'm not sure what makes NMS innovative

I think you have to admit it revolutionized games marketing.

It is also the first game to be refundable on the PSN, another big innovation.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Help Im Alive posted:

Yesterday I was looking through the nominees for one of those terrible video game award shows coming up and No Man's Sky was nominated for almost every single category

Best Original Game
Best Visual Design
Best Audio
Best Indie Game
Innovation of the Year
Studio of the Year
Game of the Year

loving would laugh if it gets game of the year. Which it will.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Best Original Game
Best Visual Design
Best Audio
Best Indie Game
Innovation of the Year
Studio of the Year
Game of the Year

lol there are games on this list that are not even out yet.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Ok what loving joker nominated Battleborn for best visual design

E: Undertale is nominated for best indie game :golfclap:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

Also, is Sideway that game where you play as like graffiti or something, I remember some game where you looked like a graffiti drawing and sideway sounds familiar.
Yeah Sideway is the graffiti game. It was surprisingly short, maybe just over 2 hours long.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

Ok what loving joker nominated Battleborn for best visual design

E: Undertale is nominated for best indie game :golfclap:

I'm glad little known cult classic Undertale is finally geting the recognition it deserves.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Undertale deserves to win every indie game award for the rest of time so I'm glad of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, March has to be strategy / war stuff.

Counterpoint: March should be for rhythm games

• Locked thread