Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Playing through this weird French indie RPG called Off, because people told me it was better than LISA and Undertale. So far its incredibly weird and kind of depressing.

OFF is real neat, the standard battle music is suuuper good. I'd hesitate to call it better than Undertale or Lisa though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CJacobs posted:

Undertale deserves to win every indie game award for the rest of time so I'm glad of it

Pretty much yeah. Also for me Toby is just a chill dude. Like he's just genuinely happy people enjoy his game.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

tap my mountain posted:

I'm not sure what makes NMS innovative but I honestly can't think of any innovative games this year besides pokemon go, and that's just ingress with pokeball tossing.

I guess that's why the only other nominees are Pokemon GO and a bunch of different VR headsets?

I said come in! posted:

lol there are games on this list that are not even out yet.

There is an entire category dedicated to voting for what upcoming game you're most looking forward to.

CJacobs posted:

Undertale deserves to win every indie game award for the rest of time so I'm glad of it

Agreed, if only because the one thing internet awards shows are good for is generating drama and the backlash Undertale winning awards gets from the unfortunate people who didn't enjoy it is always loud and wonderful.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Also do May Flowers with Pikmin and Harvest Moon and other planty games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

There is an entire category dedicated to voting for what upcoming game you're most looking forward to.

Right, but there are categories that require that you have actually played the games in question, yet there are nominee's that haven't been released yet. To be fair this is much like how the Academy Awards for movies work, and that is considered the most prestige's award show in the entertainment.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Right, but there are categories that require that you have actually played the games in question, yet there are nominee's that haven't been released yet. To be fair this is much like how the Academy Awards for movies work, and that is considered the most prestige's award show in the entertainment.

Voters in the Academy get invited to exclusive advance screenings of those (completed) films, and those screenings are how a particular film's inclusion in that year's Awards is justified even though it hasn't received a wide (or American) release yet. But whether the voters choose to actually go to those screenings and watch everything they're supposed to be voting on is a different story, and is a huge problem in stuff like the animation category, for example.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm not sure that they do screenings since the academy guy I knew would get advance copies of films in the mail. Maybe they stopped doing that since the movies would show up on torrent sites with the watermarks edited out.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Uhh did Undertale really only come out in 2016?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Jay Rust posted:

Uhh did Undertale really only come out in 2016?

Release date thank you google: September 15, 2015

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

A game so nice it'll win awards twice

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

These awards aren't credible at all!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

These awards aren't credible at all!

You dare question the golden joystick?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm back from vacation, did I miss some games?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

You missed all the games, the greatest games, the hugest games.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Palpek posted:

*pushes button so all the games retract into the wall like a speakeasy* no games here sir

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

Did you!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Release date thank you google: September 15, 2015

Wow, it seems like much longer ago than that. The world without Undertale.....

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

I know that No Man's Sky is old hat but these last two minutes are such an amazing cosmic joke that if it was intentional it would be brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd8vLJ66Vhc&t=1896s

that guy's a loving baby

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Archer666 posted:

Playing through this weird French indie RPG called Off, because people told me it was better than LISA and Undertale.

I really liked it, but whoever told you it was better than LISA and Undertale is dumb.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Looper posted:

Counterpoint: March should be for rhythm games

Yeah Patapon seems like a no-brained

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Shindragon posted:

loving would laugh if it gets game of the year. Which it will.

Even Keighley on the first episode of his new thing he started last week spent the last segment basically walking back from the NMS hype and telling everyone that he warned Murray he didn't think the final product was going to go over well. So even the Grand Master Hypeman turned away from it.

There's still going to be a Video Game Awards in Decemember. He'll make sure that happens. Reggie might show up, bring over some pizzas and announce Donkey Kong Country Returns 3 you never know.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I wish he'd get Joel McHale back this year, they had a pretty good rapport and Joel was great at curbing the gamer culture stuff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

lol there are games on this list that are not even out yet.

Didn't Fez get some indie game of the year award for like 3 consecutive years before it was released?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I started a saint practice run on Dead Rising, where I'm trying to save every survivor without using a guide, and I've been having trouble saving the Japanese tourists since I kept trying to drag them through the north plaza at night. This run I had successfully paced it well and made it back to paradise plaza with them intact, then I accidentally headshot Shinji with the buster and killed him instantly :doh:

I swear Shinji, I'll save you next time 😞

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thread, tell me what Castlevania to play next. I don't have a gimmick in mind this year so I'm sort of spoiled for choice.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Even Keighley on the first episode of his new thing he started last week spent the last segment basically walking back from the NMS hype and telling everyone that he warned Murray he didn't think the final product was going to go over well. So even the Grand Master Hypeman turned away from it.

Oh wow, you're not kidding.

quote:

“I honestly resisted saying anything about this game for the better part of the last year because I’ve been internally conflicted about what I saw happening, and I’ve played a role in this,” he begins, referencing the “broken promises” that have been a recurring complaint about the game.

“The last time I saw [Sean Murray] was back in March and he told me then that he really didn’t want to be around me that much anymore because he thought I was being a little too negative about the game and my assessment of where the team was at. They were under an incredible amount of pressure.”

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phantasium posted:

Thread, tell me what Castlevania to play next. I don't have a gimmick in mind this year so I'm sort of spoiled for choice.

Bloodlines.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

tap my mountain posted:

I started a saint practice run on Dead Rising, where I'm trying to save every survivor without using a guide, and I've been having trouble saving the Japanese tourists since I kept trying to drag them through the north plaza at night. This run I had successfully paced it well and made it back to paradise plaza with them intact, then I accidentally headshot Shinji with the buster and killed him instantly :doh:

I swear Shinji, I'll save you next time 😞

good luck. i believe in you. also remember to use the target + "follow me c'mon" to set waypoints

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

oddium posted:

good luck. i believe in you. also remember to use the target + "follow me c'mon" to set waypoints

Yeah that's why I'm doing a practice run. I wanna get good at managing survivors so I can play a little riskier when I actually do the Saint run, since saving with survivors is an ordeal unless its when you're passing through the shortcut

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Phantasium posted:

OoE

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Phantasium posted:

Aria of Sorrow or Order of Ecclesia.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Bloodlines.

God I loving hate that this game has continues. Apparently I have never played this on normal.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I just found out that Humble Bundle got keys for the Umihara Kawase trilogy again, which is nice since I bought it just after they ran out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phantasium posted:

God I loving hate that this game has continues. Apparently I have never played this on normal.

Only 90s kids will remember continues.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Phantasium posted:

Judgment

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Just chiming in to reiterate that Obduction is a top10 this year despite going completely under the radar and that you goons are really missing out. also apparently i have an avatar now?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Somehow A Story About My Uncle decided to be the new game I bought in 2016 that did most to test my reflexes despite the name.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Only 90s kids will remember continues.

I meant to say limited continues. Just makes it so you have to keep reentering a password every time you die.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
RPGMayker

play all of the rpgmaker titles that somehow ended up in your steam library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Bloodlines.

Turns out I was being dumb and the orbs the non-medusa Medusa form* shoots out can be ducked under, remaking the final boss rush of this game still one of the easier final parts of a Castlevania.

*I dunno what to call her, the credits didn't show the human form, can't remember the story offhand

chumbler posted:

Aria of Sorrow or Order of Ecclesia.

I will start Ecclesia tomorrow, looks like.

I am still washing the stink of that game off of me from when I finally played it last year. Did the really boring story mode for every character and the finale is... a reskin of the final boss (Death) from Lament of Innocence. Sold it and not feeling too bad about it considering at one point I thought I needed to own all the Castlevanias.

• Locked thread