Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Why did they change all the country names? Is there a copyright on WW2 they were trying to avoid?

I wonder if the show will end before Yankeetonia gets pulled into the war by Nipponstan when they bombed Oyster Bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Why did they change all the country names? Is there a copyright on WW2 they were trying to avoid?

I wonder if the show will end before Yankeetonia gets pulled into the war by Nipponstan when they bombed Oyster Bay.

Eh, I thought it was fine. A little silly, sure, but it makes a certain amount of sense to put that little bit of extra intellectual distance between the viewer and WWII before you start throwing witches and prophecies and such into the mix.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

What would they gain by not changing the names? I don't see a single benefit in using real-world names for the countries here, and several in changing them.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
i too find it baffling when a fictional setting inspired by a historical period is not literally that historical period.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Pavlov posted:

So they can change whatever else they want??

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud

z0glin Warchief posted:

What would they gain by not changing the names? I don't see a single benefit in using real-world names for the countries here, and several in changing them.

I already forgot what they called France. It was Th- something. I'm not gunna forget France.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

I already forgot what they called France. It was Th- something. I'm not gunna forget France.

Thermidor. It was the only one that wasn't just (Real Country)ania or a reference to something I knew about (Livonia is a Polish city, I believe, and Romulus is a figure in a founding Roman legend).

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Spiritus Nox posted:

Thermidor. It was the only one that wasn't just (Real Country)ania or a reference to something I knew about (Livonia is a Polish city, I believe, and Romulus is a figure in a founding Roman legend).

Livonia was actually a region that included Modern day Estonia and Latvia, so naming ersatz-Poland that was kinda weird.

Thermidor was a month in the French republican calendar between mid July and mid August. It's remembered because Robespierre, the leader of the republican terror got overthrown during what is called the Thermidor reaction. It's also the name of a lobster dish :hist101:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Thermidor is the name of a month (July?) in the French revolutionary calendar. Romulus is one of the two legendary brothers who founded Rome; the other is Remus who is killed by Romulus.

And that's why the city wasn't called Rem.
:v:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Pavlov posted:

"Th- something" is good enough for some random country that got dunked on before the show even started and likely won't play any significant role in the story--and if it does, the name will probably start coming up often enough to make it memorable, where it can graduate from "Th- something" to whatever it actually is.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

a kitten posted:

And that's why the city wasn't called Rem.
:v:

A sweeter, cuddlier, more passionate conquering empire :3:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

"Th- something" is good enough for some random country that got dunked on before the show even started and likely won't play any significant role in the story--and if it does, the name will probably start coming up often enough to make it memorable, where it can graduate from "Th- something" to whatever it actually is.

It's not random tho. It's literal France, because the map is literal Europe. They just mouse-that-roared an extra country.

Also I would definitely watch a Mouse that Roared anime. Japan I hope you're listening.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

have you ever heard of alternate timelines op

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
They could easily have gone for a fully fictional setting with WW2-era styling, but I guess that's extra work.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

They could easily have gone for a fully fictional setting with WW2-era styling, but I guess that's extra work.

Drakengard had it right: Just flip Europe upside-down!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Nine of Eight posted:

It's also the name of a lobster dish :hist101:

I knew I recognized that word!! haha.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Extra work that doesn't really provide a ton of tangible benefit, at that. Like, unless you change the whole aesthetic of the show people are still going to immediately look at it and go "oh, we're doing WWII with witches." I don't see that much point in keeping up much pretension to the contrary.

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Extra work that doesn't really provide a ton of tangible benefit, at that. Like, unless you change the whole aesthetic of the show people are still going to immediately look at it and go "oh, we're doing WWII with witches." I don't see that much point in keeping up much pretension to the contrary.

The question is why we've then fallen into this weird middle ground where the names have been changed. I'm hopeful we'll see actual alt history elements that justify the conceit beyond the existence of Fine's weird somehow unconquered homeland but time will tell.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lestaki posted:

The question is why we've then fallen into this weird middle ground where the names have been changed. I'm hopeful we'll see actual alt history elements that justify the conceit beyond the existence of Fine's weird somehow unconquered homeland but time will tell.

...Wait, how is Elystadt being unconquered prior to the war any weirder than it was for Switzerland?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

And then we could have gotten an actual original setting out of it. Or they could have gone for realworld and tried for historicality in non-witch shenanigans.

Right now the setting's floating between "C- in History Class" and "Original but Uninspired".

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Wait, how is Elystadt being unconquered prior to the war any weirder than it was for Switzerland?

Given Fine is the daughter of an Archduke and it's location on the map nestled between Switzerland, Italy, and a swathe of German territory corresponding to Austria (absorbed in our history in 1938), Elystadt (itself three letters tagged onto the German word for city) is likely some kind of weird West Austrian statelet. Since that's ethnically and culturally Germanic you'd normally assume that Emperor Hitler would have invaded long ago as part of his general drive to use the 'self-determination' of German people as a justification for conquest. It even has notable industry to gobble up!

There are plenty of plausible reasons why my assumptions there wouldn't stack up but so far there are far more similarities than differences between our history and the show's history. It's fun to read between the lines until events prove me wrong.

Lestaki fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 6, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*bursts into thread panting* Help, help! I have no idea what fiction is and I read a book about world war 2 seventeen years ago!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*adjusting glasses* There are plenty of plausible reasons, *said in a 'i glanced at a wikipedia article five minutes before making this post' voice*

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

*bursts into thread panting* Help, help! I have no idea what fiction is and I read a book about world war 2 seventeen years ago!

You know what? You're right. I'll knock it off from now on.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

*adjusting glasses* There are plenty of plausible reasons, *said in a 'i glanced at a wikipedia article five minutes before making this post' voice*

Right now silly alt-timeline speculation is the only benefit this setting's got. At least let them have that.

For instance: What if Almof Hiltler decides not to invade Moscowstotska? Can Wilson Churchhall convince Josephus Staltland to enter the war anyway??

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Pavlov posted:

Right now silly alt-timeline speculation is the only benefit this setting's got. At least let them have that.

For instance: What if Almof Hiltler decides not to invade Moscowstotska? Can Wilson Churchhall convince Josephus Staltland to enter the war anyway??

You're being oddly pissy about a show going "we wanted to use WWII imagery and story themes while still making it obvious that we're not doing literal historical fiction."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lestaki posted:

You know what? You're right. I'll knock it off from now on.
no worries

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

You're being oddly pissy about a show going "we wanted to use WWII imagery and story themes while still making it obvious that we're not doing literal historical fiction."

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm gonna watch the show and hope the witch continues to ride a giant rifle as her broom and also kisses the cool princess.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

I'm gonna watch the show and hope the witch continues to ride a giant rifle as her broom and also kisses the cool princess.

:hai:

Somewhere Sanguine
May 25, 2011

chumbler posted:

:yeah:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Knock it off Pavlov.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

chumbler posted:

:ohdear: Having fun watching a show without sperging about it? Is that allowed?!? MODS!!! :ohdear:

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

No worries Seafood, that's all I got anyway.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

They could have gone for the Maria the Virgin Witch approach of being relatively historically accurate, but with witches.

Pavlov posted:

No worries Seafood, that's all I got anyway.

Aw, I was actually kind of enjoying it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

do you guys literally not understand the concept of alternate history fiction. did it upset you that japan was called area 11 in code geass

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Episode 2 was good. Slower paced than I expected, and I wasn't in love with the intro action scene like I was with the plane escape at the end of 1, but I was hoping that the show would lean into Izetta and Fine's relationship and it just spent most of an episode doing just that, so yay. I enjoyed the flashback sequences quite a bit. Izetta is a bit more reluctant to fight than I initially expected from how she exploded that plane at the end of episode 1.

I'm generally feeling more confident about the rest of the show if this is the tone and rhythm that'll characterize the majority of its run.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I wonder what it means that the German officer from last episode had a pistol encrusted with "Who Dares Wins," since they flashed it again this ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

I wonder what it means that the German officer from last episode had a pistol encrusted with "Who Dares Wins," since they flashed it again this ep.

I think that might just be for visual confirmation that they're looking at the wreckage of Officer Dick's plane.

• Locked thread