Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

It's a shame the "dad(tousan)'s company went bankrupt(tousan)" pun didn't translate very well.

I can't stop seeing Ojou's hairstyle as a short cut + some thing she's wearing on her shoulders:

And I wonder whether this is just a reference, or if she actually has a katana:

Droyer posted:

The only real similarity between Inami and the new girl is that they're violent, and even then it's for completely different reasons.

I haven't read the manga, but I imagine they could come off pretty similar in the manga, at least early on, given the author's penchant for sameface, the similar hair, and a bland translation that masks differences in how they talk.

Droyer posted:

STORNG!!

Why So Serious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

This actually says "some years later"

"Yama wo haru/kakeru" is an idiom that means to guess at the specific questions that will show up on the test, and just going all in on that. It's also used more generally to refer to any large&risky gamble. It comes from the concept of someone wanting to open a mine without knowing where would be profitable to do so, so they'd pick a mountain (yama) that seemed like it might be a good spot and pour their capital into developing it, which could pay off big or leave them penniless.

So translating her "yama!" in the second image to "that's a lot!" isn't really accurate, nor does it make much sense when reading the subs imo.

:themoreyouknow:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

In Training posted:

I think its a different Wagnaria. Possible parallel universe, alternate history Wagnaria though?

Different Wagnaria branches, same setting, according to the author. Apparently there are some characters that show up in both (in the mangas anyway).

wikipediaより

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

horriblePencilist posted:

I really like that track that played when Satsui met Muranushi. It's come up a couple time so far and it always stands out the most whenever I hear it.

Did you mean Saitou, or did they introduce a character who's name means "murderous intent" that I missed?

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I really like that Saiki has a relatively "real" accent when speaking Japanese, instead of the stereotypical foreigner one.

The translation is wrong in a bunch of places though, which is a shame. I picked out a few as examples, but this happens generally a few times each episode at least.

The word translated as "crazy" here is "okashi". The generic word for sweets/candy/etc. is also "okashi".

What he actually says in this line is basically "because it's 'okashi', get it?" He's making a pun.*

This isn't saying SHE's mad, it's saying HE's mad; so mad that he made a dumb joke. If you watch the rest of the scene, you see she isn't even mad. It feels like the translator didn't fully understand what was going on and just filled in the blanks as best they could.

She's calling her mother names, not him.

She's saying "you (Miyakoshi)" will end up like Adachi, not that "he" will.

She's saying she'll toss/throw HIM, not the chocolate (remember she's strong and prone to violence, so she could do it too).

*This okashi pun actually gets used a bunch of times throughout the show.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

smenj posted:

Is that something that's easy to mess up in translation with Japanese in particular?

Yeah, it is. It's a common thing in Japanese to drop the subject and just have it be implied. That doesn't mean it's ambiguous to a native speaker (usually), as various context clues and linguistic norms(? don't know what you'd actually call this) usually make it clear, but it's a very common thing to mistake for people with a "book knowledge" grasp of the language. And if you're translating from just a script, without the audio and visual cues of the show itself to go on, all the more. Or worse, if they

Polsy posted:

were just given the single sentence to translate

then yeah, it'd be basically impossible.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Caphi posted:

"and when you showered, you spilled water outside." Just another very zoned-out thing to do. :eng99:

Actually she's saying that when she took a shower after work she accidentally took a cold one (or at least, used cold water initially). "Mizu" means water, but in the context of bathing "yu" or "oyu" is used for hot water and "mizu" is used for unheated water.

The line in JP is: ふらふらバイト先から帰ってきて、「シャワー浴びたらうっかり水だったー」なんて、何かに憑かれてるとしか思えないわ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Apparently he was the father originally, in some comics posted on the author's website, but it was never mentioned in the serialized/official version and the author has since asked people to forget about those old strips.

• Locked thread