Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Alternate thread title: UFC October - The Old Man And The Can't See

September saw a contender for the greatest Heavyweight of all time take a shot at the UFC gold only to charge straight into the current champion's fists, as well as the debut and crushing of one Phil "CM Punk" Brooks.

UFC Fight Night: Arlovski vs. Barnett from the 3rd of September saw Josh Barnett choke the consciousness out of Andrei Arlovski, changing very little in the rankings. As always, anyone in the Heavyweight top ten is two wins away from a title shot.

UFC 203 from September 10th featured the aforementioned fights, with Stipe Miocic defending against one of the greatest heavyweights never to hold the UFC belt, Alistair Overeem. In the post-fight interview it became apparent that not only did Overeem think he had Miocic in a guillotine choke, but that the champ had tapped. Upon review of the tape he was incredibly wrong. Miocic has now defended the belt once, and only requires one more defense to equal the all time record for defenses at Heavyweight, indicating how much of a trash fire that division can be.

203 also featured the much-hyped debut of CM Punk. A +400 underdog, when he walked into the octagon for the first time he boasted two years of training with Rufousport in Milwaukee, where he held an unofficial record in smokers of 1-19. Everyone thought he had no place in a UFC octagon and he absolutely proved this to be the case by walkin into a Mickey Gall takedown then tapping to a rear naked choke in a little over two minutes. Apparently he's back training for his next fight already, which could even take place in a UFC octagon depending on what sort of buy rate 203 did with him on it.

UFC Fight Night: Poirier vs. Johnson from the 17th of September featured some really sick knockouts in the main event and the second top fight. It also had the fastest submission in Featherweight history and the eighth fastest submission ever in the UFC with Chas Skelly jump-kicking Maximo Blanco to the canvas in the opening seconds of their fight, then locking in a sweet anaconda choke and getting the win at 0:19 of the first round. I tried to track down a gif of the fight; I assume you can get the entire thing in one image. Someone might help me out here in the thread.

September 24th saw us head to Brasilia for UFC Fight Night: Cyborg vs. Lansberg to see Cristiane "Cyborg" Justino crush another soccer mum who was a lot smaller than her and took some boxercise lessons and decided to give MMA a go. The highlight of this card for me was Eric Spicely taking on Thiago Santos at Middleweight, a fight Spicely took on short notice, knowing that the UFC was planning on cutting him prior to the fight being booked. Spicely was the massive underdog (+550) going into this card but rose to the challenge, taking Santos' back and slapping on a very sweet rear naked choke. I quite liked Spicely on the season of TUF from earlier this year and it's great to see him get some success.

During September we somehow managed to go the entire month without anyone popping for performance enhancing drugs, but some grim news came out at the end of the month with Josh Samman being found unresponsive in a Florida apartment with his friend Troy Kirkingburg, MMA announcer for a local Florida promotion, found dead next to him. He's currently on life support in hospital. He had apparently signed a fight contract recently, but there's no confirmation on when and who he would be fighting.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOUR CHAMPIONS!

Men's Heavyweight (205-265lbs, 93-120kg) Champion: Stipe Miocic (16-2). Beat Fabricio Verdum in an upset in Brazil in May 2016. Defended the title against Alistair Overeem at UFC 203 in Cleveland in early September 2016. Overeem is the most decorated heavyweight in MMA history, with only the UFC gold eluding him, something it appears it will always do now. No challenger announced as yet.

Men's Light Heavyweight (205lbs, 93kg) Champion: Daniel "DC" Cormier (19-1*). Won the interim belt in a hard-hitting match against Anthony "Rumble" Johnson in May 2015 after the belt was vacated by Jon "Bones" Jones following his arrest for felony hit and run. Was lined up to defend this belt against Jones at UFC 200 until Jones tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. Will almost certainly defend next against either Jones if he can beat the rap, or Johnson again. Nothing currently announced.

Men's Middleweight (185lbs, 83.9kg) Champion: Michael "The Count" Bisping. Knocked out Luke Rockhold in less than a round at the start of June 2016, on ten days’ notice. Will defend the title against Cool MMA Granddad Dan Henderson at UFC 204 in October. Henderson has stated that win or lose it will be his last fight.

Men's Welterweight (170lbs, 77.1kg) Champion: Tyron "The Chosen One" Woodley (16-3). Beat Robbie "Ruthless" Lawler in an upset victory in July 2016 in less than a round with a single overhead right. Booked to defend his title against Stephen "Wonderboy" Thompson at UFC 205 in New York in November.

Men's Lightweight (155lbs, 70.3kg) Champion: Eddie Alvarez (28-4). Beat 155 champion Rafael Dos Anjos by TKO in an absolute flurry of punches in early July 2016. A clash of champions has been booked at Lightweight for UFC 205 in November, where he will be putting his title on the line against Conor McGregor.

Men's Featherweight (145lbs, 65.8kg) Champion: Conor "The Notorious" McGregor (20-3). The Notorious One beat 7-year Lightweight champion Jose Aldo in 13 seconds in December of 2015, ending Jose's 10 year unbeaten streak. Conor then was lined up to face Rafael dos Anjos for the Lightweight belt, with the latter pulling out due to a broken foot. Conor then fought a 2-fight series against Nate Diaz, a Lightweight, at Welterweight, going 1-1. No current challenger lined up for Featherweight, and may in fact never fight there again (ask in the thread if you're confused; the next entry probably won't help). Next booked to fight Eddie Alvarez at Lightweight for the LW title, which if he wins will make him the first ever concurrent two-division champion in the UFC. Yes, to answer your question, he is in the new Call of Duty game. We greatly look forward to him delivering some Activision-approved trash talk on Eddie Alvarez via a series of branded tweets.

Interim Men's Featherweight (145lbs, 65.8kg) Champion: Jose "Scarface" Aldo (26-2). Won the interim belt against Frankie Edgar at UFC 200 in July 2016, in an intelligent, conservatively-fought unanimous decision. Is technically supposed to fight Conor McGregor next to unify the belts. This has not been announced due to Conor's adventure in Welterweight. Aldo recently talked about wanting to retire from the UFC and MMA in general, widely considered to be a Conor-level ploy to get the UFC to give him the fight he wants. Hey, it's worked for Conor like three times now, why not?

Men's Bantamweight (135lbs, 61.25kg) Champion: Dominick "The Dominator" Cruz (22-1). Won the title back in World Extreme Cagefighting in 2010, and then when the UFC absorbed that organisation, won the inaugural UFC Bantamweight title. Was forced to vacate the title due to recurring knee issues in 2012, and came back to win the title back off TJ Dillishaw in January 2016. No current challenger named, but has been attached to some rumours (poorly sourced, probably false) that he's chasing a fight with whoever wins out of the eventual Featherweight unification bout.

Men's Flyweight (125lbs, 56.7kg) Champion: Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson (24-2-1).
The greatest fighter in the world. Attained the title at UFC 152 in September 2012, and has successfully defended it 8 times in a row. Will defend his title next against the winner of The Ultimate Fighter 24 tournament at the finale of that series on December 3rd, 2016.

Fatherdog posted:

I think it's a really compelling format this time; 24 guys who have real credentials should provide some excellent fights while they're competing for the opportunity to receive a life-altering beating from Mighty Mouse

Women's Bantamweight (135lbs, 61.25kg) Champion: Amanda "Lioness" Nunes. Punched and choked her way to victory in the main event of UFC 200 against Miesha Tate in July 2016. No challenger announced as yet.

Women's Strawweight (115lbs, 52.2kg) Champion Joanna Jędrzejczyk (12-0). Beat the hell out of Cláudia Gadelha the night before UFC 200 to a solid decision victory. Second longest reigning UFC champion after winning the belt in March 2015 and currently has a 3-win defense streak. Possible scuttlebutt around the internet is that she'll fight Karolina Kowalkiewicz, her fellow Pole, but nothing official announced as yet.This fight is booked for UFC 205, making that an incredibly good card.

Upcoming Events
UFC Fight Night 96: Lineker vs. Dodson - October 1st - basically happening right now.
UFC 204: Bisping vs. Henderson 2 - October 8th
UFC Fight Night 97: Lamas vs. Penn - October 17

Credible news sources:
http://www.mmabuzzsaw.com/
http://www.mmajunkie.com
http://www.fightopinion.com
http://www.mmapayout.com
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com
Yahoo! Sports MMA
http://www.mmaweekly.com
http://www.mmamania.com
http://www.mmarated.com
http://www.cagepotato.com/
http://www.f4wonline.com/

Other news:
http://www.sherdog.com
http://www.bloodyelbow.com

Other:
Sherdog Fight Finder
Unified rules of MMA
http://www.fightmetric.com
MMA IRC chat room at #mma on SynIRC.net
Welcome to MMA, here's the history of the sport
Comparison of MMA betting lines
Understanding Sports Betting
USADA/UFC Drug Testing statistics

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
How come Dan Henderson says he has "two or three" pride belts in that commercial? Shouldn't he know?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Bubblegum Cop posted:

How come Dan Henderson says he has "two or three" pride belts in that commercial? Shouldn't he know?

He has incredible amounts of brain damage.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I love mma

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I am really loving the direction the new UFC owners are taking managing cards. It seems like they're pushing for bonkers PPVs and putting cool fights like Rodriguez/Caceres and Dodson/Lineker on Fox. Gets those dudes paid and puts cool fights on a platform whereas a year ago they'd be buried on an undercard.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bubblegum Cop posted:

I am really loving the direction the new UFC owners are taking managing cards. It seems like they're pushing for bonkers PPVs and putting cool fights like Rodriguez/Caceres and Dodson/Lineker on Fox. Gets those dudes paid and puts cool fights on a platform whereas a year ago they'd be buried on an undercard.

They're pushing for a bonkers 205 because Jones made 200 underdeliver and it's their first MSG show. The ppvs after 205 are going to regress to the mean and actually probably be pretty bad for a while because the huge chunk of the roster fighting on 205 is going to make those cards pretty anemic.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah they're definitely trying to make up for 200

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

fatherdog posted:

They're pushing for a bonkers 205 because Jones made 200 underdeliver and it's their first MSG show. The ppvs after 205 are going to regress to the mean and actually probably be pretty bad for a while because the huge chunk of the roster fighting on 205 is going to make those cards pretty anemic.

They can't all be UFC 205s

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus I have to wait even longer to watch Mighty Mouse fight again?

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

fatherdog posted:

Jones has caused so many issues for the UFC but they'll gladly take him back for reasons? I thought his PPVs weren't even that good numbers wise until the first Cormier fight?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Trast posted:

Jones has caused so many issues for the UFC but they'll gladly take him back for reasons? I thought his PPVs weren't even that good numbers wise until the first Cormier fight?

Jones was averaging 500k buy shows. and pulled 700k against Rashad(!). He had 2 low numbers against Gustafsson and Texeira and then came back with an 800k against Cormier, which Cormier followed up by pulling 250k buys against Gustafsson. Jones is a fuckup but he's very clearly a ppv mover.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I was wrong about those numbers then.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

UFC might also be pretty confident that Ronda Rousey is gonna return for 207 or 208 (Super Bowl weekend card). If that's their plan then I can see why they are fine with having a stacked 205 from top to bottom since Ronda's return alone is gonna draw a million buys even if the undercard is nothing but debuting fighters on 10k/10k contracts.

But you're right after that yeah poo poo is gonna come back down quick.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

UFC might also be pretty confident that Ronda Rousey is gonna return for 207 or 208 (Super Bowl weekend card). If that's their plan then I can see why they are fine with having a stacked 205 from top to bottom since Ronda's return alone is gonna draw a million buys even if the undercard is nothing but debuting fighters on 10k/10k contracts.

But you're right after that yeah poo poo is gonna come back down quick.

It's kinda crazy to realize that assuming McGregor doesn't get hurt/retire/cancels for wacky reasons before 205 they'll have 5 of their 6 (and 6 of 8) biggest PPVs ever in a one year span.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jon Jones has a once in a lifetime talent for loving dudes up, and it extends to himself.
That's why he moves PPVs and why the UFC love him. It's no huge secret.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
actually i think you will find all the success jones has had has been entirely due to his veins pumping pure anadrol. Manyak said so and i believe him.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Ronda will never return.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

listening to DC last night talk to Jon Anik about John Lineker and John Dodson is the most times I've heard him say Jon not in reference to Jones

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

evobatman posted:

Ronda will never return.

First time Ive heard someone say that

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Seems to me with Nick Diaz's recent activity on Twitter they may be banking for GSP/Diaz 2 in Toronto with maybe Cruz/Garbrandt as the co-main which will probably be another killer card for them in terms of buys.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, I'd be down as hell for that.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Excuse me Jon Jones is the interim light heavyweight champion.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

-Atom- posted:

Excuse me Jon Jones is the interim light heavyweight champion.

Who? He's not even in the top 15.

http://www.ufc.com/rankings

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/10/2/13065492/tyron-woodley-all-for-educating-the-african-american-community-on-mma

Tyron Woodley thinks he's unfairly treated and not respected enough.

On one hand: gently caress Tyron Woodley.
On the other: gently caress Tyron Woodley.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
they don't respect me, they put me on the biggest and most historic fight card of all time even though im boring

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Tyron Woodly will always have an inferiority complex due to his small height and low standing within his family, the famously wealthy Lannisters.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Work Friend Keven posted:

Tyron Woodly will always have an inferiority complex due to his small height and low standing within his family, the famously wealthy Lannisters.

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Memento posted:

During September we somehow managed to go the entire month without anyone popping for performance enhancing drugs

Nope.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/10/2/13065492/tyron-woodley-all-for-educating-the-african-american-community-on-mma

Tyron Woodley thinks he's unfairly treated and not respected enough.

On one hand: gently caress Tyron Woodley.
On the other: gently caress Tyron Woodley.

hes right, and while respect should be earned i think the ufc have been really rather slimy in how theyve treated him so far

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

lol

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

hes right, and while respect should be earned i think the ufc have been really rather slimy in how theyve treated him so far

While they probably could and should be promoting him better, I think "slimy" might be pushing it given that the only reason he's champion to begin with is they allowed him to keep a shot he got because his opponent was too fat to fight while sitting out for nearly a year, in stark contrast to how many promised title shots have been unceremoniously yanked from deserving contenders in other divisions because scheduling changed.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah he's been treated better than a lot of people in his level. But that's because ethically UFC is a horrific company to work for

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wow, I went through the entire thread looking for anything. Either I missed it or no one cared enough about Ruslan to post it.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

While they probably could and should be promoting him better, I think "slimy" might be pushing it given that the only reason he's champion to begin with is they allowed him to keep a shot he got because his opponent was too fat to fight while sitting out for nearly a year, in stark contrast to how many promised title shots have been unceremoniously yanked from deserving contenders in other divisions because scheduling changed.

he wasn't too fat, his turds were too hard, there's an important distinction

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

fatherdog posted:

no i mean the way theyre handling their business with him since he became champion, which theres definitely examples of although i dont remember the details since im not really a remembers stuff about crap type of personality. i mean like you could say they honoured a promise or whatever but he clearly deserved the shot because he won the fight extremely convincingly, its not like he didnt belong in the ring with lawler. and he earned it in the first place even if he didnt get it when he earned it

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
wonderboy is probably gonna beat him

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

no i mean the way theyre handling their business with him since he became champion, which theres definitely examples of although i dont remember the details since im not really a remembers stuff about crap type of personality. i mean like you could say they honoured a promise or whatever but he clearly deserved the shot because he won the fight extremely convincingly, its not like he didnt belong in the ring with lawler. and he earned it in the first place even if he didnt get it when he earned it

I don't really recall anything about the way they're doing business with him, just that he's unhappy that he's not being hyped as well as some other champions. And I was pointing out that while it may be true that he's not being treated as well as more popular champions, it's in the context of only being champion because he was treated substantially better than many more popular challengers.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

fatherdog posted:

I don't really recall anything about the way they're doing business with him, just that he's unhappy that he's not being hyped as well as some other champions. And I was pointing out that while it may be true that he's not being treated as well as more popular champions, it's in the context of only being champion because he was treated substantially better than many more popular challengers.

well, lets agree to disagree. as i'm starting to get fond of saying, i'm always on the side of the athletes. and i don't particularly like the ufc as a company to begin with

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

well, lets agree to disagree. as i'm starting to get fond of saying, i'm always on the side of the athletes. and i don't particularly like the ufc as a company to begin with

I don't dislike Woodley as a person and am generally on the side of the athletes as well, particularly since some of them are my friends and training partners. I just don't really see Woodley as being particularly hard done by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I don't know how interested anyone is but a steroid thread has been started.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792970

I've done two gimmicks so far, one was popular, the other not so much. My third and possibly stupidest has been going on for 5 weeks, and I've got another weeks to go. I'm taking steroids cycle and holy gently caress they are amazing. I don't know if it's ufc chat worthy but I don't see how anyone in the ufc isn't taking them, because they should be. I went from 145lbs to 170lbs but kept the same body fat, my lifts have gone way way up, and I can now kimura light heavy weights whereas before they could muscle out of it with both my arms vs their one. I wish I had done them sooner. I do appreciate everyone's advice including those who pm'd me saying not to take them, but I have never been so happy in myself in a few ways (women are all over me it's amazing)

• Locked thread