Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
The UFC's run of like 20 consecutive weeks of fight cards is going to culminate in an event that is possibly headlined by Derrick Lewis vs. some guy, instead of the original plan of 2016 BJ Penn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Hendo is the prototypical wrestler with big KO power.

maybe 10 years ago

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hendo's back is so messed up at this point

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Triticum Guzzler posted:

is there anyone else who has multiple weird looking ko's like hendo? he's got the sprawl on renzo, the under the armpit uppercut on fedor, and to a lesser extent the standing back elbow while hopping on one leg on lombard

its so cool, i liked when he grabbed shogun by the hips and pulled him into that brutal punch that shattered his nose

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Skip My Posts posted:

its so cool, i liked when he grabbed shogun by the hips and pulled him into that brutal punch that shattered his nose

I had never seen that until today. freakin awesome though. No idea how I missed that.

Any gif of the oliveira taunt?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Oh here

https://twitter.com/mma_gifs_/status/782437985677611008

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
He just chopped his crotch at his downed opponent.

This sort of poo poo with missing weight by so much is why they need a fighter's union. If a lightweight fighter said "5 pounds? Nahh, I'll take my show money and 20% of his purse and go home" he's basically poisoned his chances of fighting again unless he's already well established. Up and coming fighters have too much to lose not taking fights where their opponent doesn't give a poo poo about managing their weight properly.

Should make it a sliding scale - one pound 20%, two pounds 30% or something like that, over five pounds they get 80% of their opponent's show money. Make it worth taking a fight against a much fresher opponent who has stressed themselves a lot less in the cut. Losing the last 5 pounds is a lot harder than losing the first.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I don't know if I've ever been so confused than when Hendo threw and landed a head kick.

I was turning to my friend just at that moment and explaining how Hendo basically just has his big right hand left at his age and then he head kicks and elbows Lombard like he tried to get fresh with his wife. What a crazy thing. https://streamable.com/bvkq

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

I was turning to my friend just at that moment and explaining how Hendo basically just has his big right hand left at his age and then he head kicks and elbows Lombard like he tried to get fresh with his wife. What a crazy thing. https://streamable.com/bvkq

Hendo rounded out his standup game a lot when he moved away from Quest to form Quest Temecula and brought in Diabate as a sparring partner. It's still very Big Right Centric, but he started using kicks and jabs to herd guys into it and mixing in a rolling left that made him a more multidimensional threat (which ironically just increased people's fixation on the big right because him threatening with other stuff resulted in him landing it a lot more).

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

My favourite is still when he KO'd Oyama in Pride and then instantly bodylocked and took down his unconscious corpse

https://i.imgur.com/N42xi44.mp4

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

colonel_korn posted:

My favourite is still when he KO'd Oyama in Pride and then instantly bodylocked and took down his unconscious corpse

https://i.imgur.com/N42xi44.mp4

drat i forgot about that one, brutal

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Memento posted:

He just chopped his crotch at his downed opponent.

This sort of poo poo with missing weight by so much is why they need a fighter's union. If a lightweight fighter said "5 pounds? Nahh, I'll take my show money and 20% of his purse and go home" he's basically poisoned his chances of fighting again unless he's already well established. Up and coming fighters have too much to lose not taking fights where their opponent doesn't give a poo poo about managing their weight properly.

Should make it a sliding scale - one pound 20%, two pounds 30% or something like that, over five pounds they get 80% of their opponent's show money. Make it worth taking a fight against a much fresher opponent who has stressed themselves a lot less in the cut. Losing the last 5 pounds is a lot harder than losing the first.
If they miss weight by more than like a pound it's because they knew they weren't going to make weight and rehydrated

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Boco_T posted:

If they miss weight by more than like a pound it's because they knew they weren't going to make weight and rehydrated

Considering the amount of fighters that miss weight I don't think it's because the difficulty of shedding that last single pound. Guys miss weight by more than a pound because they simply miscalculate how much weight they're going to be able to cut.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

frenton posted:

Considering the amount of fighters that miss weight I don't think it's because the difficulty of shedding that last single pound. Guys miss weight by more than a pound because they simply miscalculate how much weight they're going to be able to cut.

Or they're comparing on a scale that isn't calibrated or the commission scale is off.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Mr. Nice! posted:

Or they're comparing on a scale that isn't calibrated or the commission scale is off.

Yeah, I think this would be the more likely cause of guys missing weight by just a pound especially because so many fighters take advantage of that 1 lb grace limit.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
BJ getting injured here is the luckiest thing to ever happen to him. Is Bagautinov vs Horiguchi still happening? That's a rad fight and somewhat acceptable main event.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Decades posted:

BJ getting injured here is the luckiest thing to ever happen to him. Is Bagautinov vs Horiguchi still happening? That's a rad fight and somewhat acceptable main event.

Yeah, it's still hapenning, it's on the prelims, lol.

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES
On episode 2 of embedded, they introduce Hendos bjj coach. In the next shot we see him sitting on the mat watching Hendo set up BRH after BRH with his striking coach. I don't know if they did that on purpose or if it really is the most redundant gig in MMA.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
hendo tried to submit rampage and also had a bunch of insane escapes in that coolass big nog fight in pride. also he holds the greatest grappling accomplishment of all time: sweeping ricardo arona

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Yeah it can't be overstated how much better that makes Dan than every professional grappler ever

mistakinder
Mar 19, 2010

YES

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hendo tried to submit rampage and also had a bunch of insane escapes in that coolass big nog fight in pride. also he holds the greatest grappling accomplishment of all time: sweeping ricardo arona

The fact that his standout examples of grappling happened in an organisation that hasn't existed for a decade kind of reinforces my point. Is the jiu jitsu coach there in case Dan wants a trip down memory lane?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Ashikan judan posted:

The only UFC I've watched at a BWW was Anderson/Weidman II. It was the first time I've been in the middle of over a hundred people cringing in unison.

Me and several thousand other people live when Gonzaga KO'd Crocop so hard he broke his own arm.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Sounds like Josh Samman passed away today.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
That loving sucks

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Le Saboteur posted:

Terrible

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
Opiates Are Bad

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:(

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Man down :smith:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I remember not liking him but its still sad to go like that.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

RIP Bukkake Josh, I wish there was a more sensitive-sounding way to honor you by your fan-given nickname in this tragic time

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Le Saboteur posted:

This year has not been good to mma fighters.

Sucks

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Very sad news.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Exit Sanman

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

lol

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Ashikan judan posted:

Hendo rounded out his standup game a lot when he moved away from Quest to form Quest Temecula and brought in Diabate as a sparring partner. It's still very Big Right Centric, but he started using kicks and jabs to herd guys into it and mixing in a rolling left that made him a more multidimensional threat (which ironically just increased people's fixation on the big right because him threatening with other stuff resulted in him landing it a lot more).

Rich Franklin "...that's a lot of dimensions" :geno:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Hahaha oh man

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

His knockout of Eddie Gordon is one of the most brutal I've ever seen. RIP.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Ty1990 posted:

His knockout of Eddie Gordon is one of the most brutal I've ever seen. RIP.

Yeah, I won't try and retroactively claim I was always a huge Samman fan but that was legit one of the better headkick KOs in the UFC. It's not often you see that follow-up jab land clean when they're on the way down.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Lol but seriously rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Josh probably could have ended up having a Florian/Stann/Cruz role with his level of insight into the game.

• Locked thread