Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

THE LONG WALK

19: October rhymes with death

so what's this then this is where you get to do something about writing that novel you've always had inside you and can finally get all the money respect sex nothing you deserve.

sounds cool how does it work round about the first day of every month I put a thread up and you post in it to say how much new writing you're gonna post by 2359 PST on the last day of that month. there might be a little general leeway at the end of the month, but don't count on it and don't ask for extensions.

lol imma post one word 'lol' there I won lol there's a 4k word minimum. you can pledge more if you like, but 4k is the ante.

how many terrible words have been written through this thread and the ones before it?2,450,000. Some of them might have been good? idk

what happens if I gently caress it up every promise has to have a :toxx: attached. you fail, you get banned.

how should I post my stuff up to you, but a link to a gdoc with comments enabled is best that way you won't restrict your publication options later.

can I do short stories sure. It has to be new words (prose, poetry, limericks) but otherwise you can post whatever as long as you make the wordcount

can I critpost, shitpost, or shart my jorts don't really care, it's not the thunderdome so just follow the exhortations of your clotted goony heart but keep in mind that detailed crits of longform stuff aren't super useful; better to keep them general. normal CC rules apply so be harsh but helpful

is there an irc channel most of us hang out in #thunderdome

where are the previous months April, May June July, August, September, October , November, December, January, February, March, April, May
June, July, September

who tells the mods if i gently caress up and don't make it anyone can call in a failed toxx; if no one else does it I do

who checks i've done it i could just not and say i did lol you need to satisfy me, which isn't a high bar tbh, but I'll probably need to see something, up to you what that is

how long are you gonna do it for forever, i guess? we'll see

ock I yearn to fall into a turgid slumber

Long Walk 19: October rhymes with death

pale specterest 50K, 10SUBS OMG MADE IT OUT OF ECTOPLASM AND STRING
besesoth 30k woooo MADE IT OUT OF BONE AND JOLT COLA
guinness13 10k NOT GONNA FAIL NOPE MADE IT OUT OF RUBBER AND GLUE
sittinghere 20k 5 subs I BELIEF IN U MADE IT OUT OF DREAM CANDY
toxicslurpee 6k MADE IT OUT OF ICE SLURRY AND DEADLY POISON
ironic tiwist 30k :siren: what is that mournful hooting it is the faaaaaiiilll klaxon :siren:
dockloc 15k revision words (WE'LL MAKE IT WORK U AND ME) MADE IT OUT OF HOPE AND MORE HOPE (AND BEER)
skaandscrenplas 5k GO NEWBBEEE MADE IT OUT OF CHEERY WAVES AND TANGERINE COLOURED ENERGY DRINKS

RECORD OF THE FALLEN

CHTHONIC BELL/A PAINTED BIRD... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X4)
KILLFAST37... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
MORNING BELL... DIDN'T MAKE IT
DR KLOCTOPUSSY... DIDN'T MAKE IT
BOMPACHO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
CRABROCK... DIDN'T MAKE IT
REDTONIC... DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
MARTELLO... DIDN'T MAKE IT
THEHOMEMASTER... DIDN'T MAKE IT
JONKED... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANIME WAS RIGHT... DIDN'T MAKE IT
MAG7.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
KURONA BRIGHT...DIDN'T MAKE IT (X2)
SITTING HERE.... DIDN'T MAKE IT(X2)
IRONIC TWIST.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
TEQUILAJESUS.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANOMIEATTHEGATES.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
ANGELOPPORTUNITY.... DIDN'T MAKE IT
SPECTRES OF AUTISM....DIDN'T MAKE IT
FLERP....DIDN'T MAKE IT
NEWTESTLEPER....DIDN'T MAKE IT
SITTING HERE....DIDN'T MAKE IT
GUINNESS13....DIDN'T MAKE IT

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
50k, 10 subs was ok

:sbahj:

late edit: forgot to :toxx:

take the moon fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 2, 2016

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
30k words :toxx:

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
10K words :toxx:

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
20k 5 subs :toxx: twee emoji

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Signing up is a terrible idea but I haven't failed yet so I'm doing it anyway!

6K words of whatever I feel like working on. :toxx: :parrot:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
30K words. :toxx:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
True goal is to finish the revised scene-by-scene plot summary of ~romance novel~ It will probably end up being 20k words and I've done 5k, so at least 15k words. But it will be a failure if I don't get it completely done.

If this doesn't count as real enough writing for you chumps.... I don't care. It's what needs to be done now.

:toxx:

Also, there's got to be some way to make revisions work in Long Walk >:-[

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
In for the first time with 5K words.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

True goal is to finish the revised scene-by-scene plot summary of ~romance novel~ It will probably end up being 20k words and I've done 5k, so at least 15k words. But it will be a failure if I don't get it completely done.

If this doesn't count as real enough writing for you chumps.... I don't care. It's what needs to be done now.

Also, there's got to be some way to make revisions work in Long Walk >:-[

i'm fine with revisions, just find a way to demonstrate it and post if you make your nut.

flick me a link if you want me to read the final version

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
One week left, y'all

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

yeah pipe up. how is everyone doing?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Slightly ahead of the curve at 27,468! Which means it's time to accelerate if I'm going to hit 50k next month. :v:

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Probably going to make it to completing the scene-by-scene summary, but not sure how long it will be, so might not actually hit the 15k words for this month. Mostly because I realized that 20% of the scenes were boring filler. Huzzah!

I personally don't care about word count, because finishing it is all that matters. Then I'll have a strong base for completing actual revisions/rewrites to the text next month.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
mostly this month i wrote about the moon and stole titles from song lyrics

im not counting my notes, someth hosed up somewhere and i def didnt do as much as it thinks i did

novel:

eyes draft II was 31.8k, now 47.8k, up 16k

stories:

Double Take was 6.5k, now 17k, up 10.5k
Butterfly 3.5k
Lucy's Fur 4.4k
Hallow (Selene Rewrite) 6k
Before We Fell Up In The Killing Sight (wip) 2k
Our Terror Is Feeling At All 4.8k
Tell Them I'm Too Dead For The Wind To Blow Me Back 3.9k

most are rough drafts

poems:

woody allen (for mia) .2k
no eyes (for steven) .1k

k so around day 25 i think i felt rly burnt out. told a friend stuff like body descriptions were creeping into my prose, he was like write erotica yo. so yeah i did. ghost/alien/ai crossover erotica tbh. it was weird, like it flowed rly easily, not cuz sexiness i think, just cuz i had a lot of dumb ideas slow cooking and i could dump them in w/o worrying about tone. but for that reason it felt weird and gross, like i was experimenting w needles or something. anyway im not gonna link it but:

total 57.3k

subs:

i wanna do more on my book, some parts were a slog to push thru. peace

e: forgot a sub lol

e2: images no longer 4 ants

take the moon fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 31, 2016

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Retooled The First 30 Pages Of My Pilot
Bland words are now better words: 5392 of them to be exact

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It's horrible garbage I'm going to delete but it's more than 6,000 words I wrote this month. Good enough!

http://imgur.com/a/7aK4v

Guiness13
Feb 17, 2007

The best angel of all.
Made it, although closer than I would have liked. It bugs me that I have more time to write now (yay unemployment!) and am getting through less words. I've been in a multiple month long funk and it's driving me nuts.

Anyway, down to the numbers:

Short story in progress, 2,892 words and counting

Finished a first draft! 4,862 words

Two thunderdomes totaling 2,667 words

Grand total of 10,421 words.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
I finished a scene-by-scene summary of my novel, woo. It ended up clocking in at 13,705 words, but more importantly it is finished!

I now know what scenes go in the book and where and what happens in them!

Fun stuff that happened:
A "major" character was completely eliminated!
The 2nd quarter of the book was nearly entirely deleted!
About half the timeline was switched around!

Mojo I sent you a link to the document.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
5260 novel words

3062 words

1711 words

1493 words

883 words

224 words

aaand 7500 words on my stupid short story that i'm still not done/happy with aaaahh

Total: 20083 words

I submitted to Flash Frontier, Pacifica Review, Master's Review, Flapperhouse, and the fiction war contest. I will screencap this stuff if I must but holy cow I am tired of taking screencaps

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Sebmojo post the thread

please post the thread mr mojo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

Sebmojo post the thread

please post the thread mr mojo

sorry

(will post it shortly)