Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Is America in 2016 the only true sane center that you can't be left or right of without being mentally ill or is it a sliding thing? Where whatever country and whatever local condition you are in you need to agree with it by a large margin or be a deviant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Jenner posted:

There is nothing wrong with left or right leaning political affiliation.

The problem is EXTREME left or right wing political affiliation. And I know the definition of extreme can be extremely subjective.

But for the purposes of this thread I am defining extremism as: People who's political beliefs (and their subsequent defense of those beliefs) are propped up by conspiracy theories and paranoia. This is probably an incredibly lovely definition that can be critiqued and picked apart but I honestly think a political belief does not become a problem (even if I really disagree with it) until the person is spouting paranoid accusations and believing conspiracy theories.

That seems like a very circular definition. It seems like south park's "the truth is always in the middle" but with some added "if you strongly believe things that are delusional you might be crazy" which is just trivially the case.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

punk rebel ecks posted:

Almost everything was once considered "extreme left" at a time.

Including elections and anti-slavery.

Yeah, it's so weird to look at history and look around the world and somehow come to the conclusion that 2016 centrist america is the one true eternal truth and anything beyond slight deviation from that is madness.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, the direction that this thread has gone in is a little bit odd. I assumed the OP was using "extreme" to refer to fringe positions that are strongly divorced from reality, not just people with positions that fall outside of mainstream political discourse. You can believe in things that are bad or evil or just unpopular without it being indicative of anything deeper.

Trying to define mental illness as just "deviation from the norm" is really silly and falls apart with any thought or investigation and is not actually part of actual medical thought on what mental illnesses are except in tangential ways.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chocolate Teapot posted:

I've seen it mentioned in the thread somewhere, but can someone explain to me why a preference for "alternative" medicines is classed as a left-wing stance?

Is it just the stereotype of "woo stuff is thought of as being the domain of women" and "the left is seen as more feminine"?

Basically the premise of dharma and greg

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Extreme0 posted:

I've noticed, however anytime a Conservative shares his/her viewpoints. It leaves me bewildered sometimes that they can be sincere in a viewpoint that speaks levels of Irrationality without a hint of irony which I find can lead to them being called insane due to how their views can have dire consquences to everyone around them that they don't seem to have given thought for (or maybe they had but don't care) and expecting to work out all the same with no problems in the way.

You don't have to look far in how loving insane England was a few months ago. To an average outsider it's loving amazing to see a country try to attempt the first ever democratic suicide of a country. To an insider who neighbours that stupid country...it's not a great experience when you have people insane enough to assume that they get a better deal, a better income, rid of foreigners etc. etc and risk almost of that on petty lies that they fell for loving easily. Naturally most of these tend to be the conservative type who never seem to learn and naturally they didn't give a gently caress about the consquences.

They aren't behaving irrationally, you are just ascribing certain goals to be the goals they should be working towards and when they do things that work to other goals you are getting confused and saying "but that action doesn't further them towards the goal I thought they would be working towards!". People are often rationally working towards goals, the goals and the methods they are willing to use to get to their goals are just not very nice or moral.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Extreme0 posted:

Disregarding moral or niceness (Which isn't really necessary if you're the type of person willing to go far to achieve some goals.) People working towards goals rationally depends on what their goal is and what their method is too. If you think that Brexit was a rational thing to do then please tell me how because it certainly hasn't improved anything other then prove how British people are arrogant to believe that they would be no hurdles because they think they are special enough to warrent such treatment.

You still seem to be using the word "rational" to mean "good" and crazy to mean "evil" or "bad".

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Extreme0 posted:

I wouldn't consider Brexit to be evil or bad. Just stupid. I can understand why Brexit is a thing and how it came to be but I'm also dissapointed in people thinking it's not going to affect them hard. Some still haven't noticed the consquences of their actions...they may never do so too even when things have gotten worse.

So no I don't think the likes of this arguement of 'rational = good and crazy = evil'. I think it's more to do with efficiency and choosing the route that solves more problems rather then the one that creates more.

Being stupid or uneducated doesn't mean crazy.

Having different priorities (even prioritizing things that are immoral to prioritize, ) isn't crazy, it's just lovely.

If a white person thinks supporting some sort of white nationalist agenda will benefit them that isn't insane, it's sane but evil and lovely.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

NewForumSoftware posted:

especially if you start counting people who take anti-depressants as mentally ill.

Why shouldn't you count that? Other than some idea that mental illness is sinful or a personal weakness? And that if it is anything but super rare that that is something gone wrong or someone exaggerating the numbers.

Like 99% of people will have diarrhea at some point in the next ten years. If human butts aren't expected to work continuously without malfunction why shouldn't mental illness and disorders of the brain be expected to be infinitely more common?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bob le Moche posted:

Maybe being depressed is not a mental illness because sometimes people actually have terrible lives and no power at all to change that and the only thing they achieve by not being depressed is making it easier for others to take advantage of them

Sometimes people eat a bunch of hot peppers and get diarrhea, that doesn't mean all stomach illness is some fake thing just because sometimes you get the same symptoms from environmental factors.

• Locked thread