Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Sun sets over the rattling noises of saws and hammers, the usual evening chorus for the end of Sharpeton's workday. Quiet days don't exist much in this village, on account of the industry, but it's peaceful enough. They come and go, mostly without incident save the usual drunken bar-fight or some newcomer in town trying their luck with fast fingers instead of honest work. And yeah, once you venture off the beaten path, bandits and the like might show up. But the folks that call you heroes are content to stay within the confines of civilization. You've not had to save anyone in a while, matter of fact. Things have settled down since your spontaneous manifestation of heroism and the saving of General Latham. Some of you, that might suit fine. Quite alright with peace and quiet, time to settle down and get comfortable. Get to know some people in town more personally. The others might not feel the same way, however. They long for the way of violent justice and the fire of courage alight in their hearts. To prove themselves on the anvil of righteousness. Or maybe something a little less poetic, but heroic all the same. We can't all be as eloquent as the bards, after all.

But with the quiet of these days, you tend to spend your evenings in one of the local watering holes. Duke's is one of three big taverns in Sharpeton, and easily the most quiet. While The Smiling Warg is more rowdy thanks to the gambling tables, and in The Unending Ballad, the workers come to run off the day's energy with songs and laughter, Duke's is a place for the people who come for cozy drinks and hearty meals. And tonight, it's your place. While throughout the days, you might go about your own way, without the company of the other 'heroes', you've made it a habit to at least gather twice a week and discuss events with one another. This has led you to a bandit hideout or a hungry pack of wolves to roust, occasionally, so your job as heroes never truly goes away.



Duke himself, the owner of the tavern, is an old man that doesn't seem to buckle to the teeth of time. He remains lanky, if you don't mind the potbelly, and his wild hair and beard never seem to be able conceal his bright smile, which you are greeted with as you walk in. He'll welcome everybody in his establishment, as long as you follow a few basic rules. You pay what you owe, you don't lay a hand on the serving staff while they work, and you take arguments outside. So it makes for a fine place to eat, drink, and be merry. You gather around one of the few remaining tables - at this time of night, it's not long before Duke's is fully occupied, but people respect you enough that there tends to be a table free for you whenever you like.

So while you sit and wait for your companions to come in and the staff to approach, how has your day been? What has kept your mind recently? Has anything interesting happened around town?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!



Elanis Dressant [sheet]

Today has been an easy day... a lazy one at that. Woke up, made myself some pancakes for breakfast, then milled around town a bit fishing for rumors and leads before coming to the tavern to meet my friends. Town seems to have been pretty quiet, aside from the usual rumors of light bandit activity on the roads. One of the town drunks did mention that he'd seen a necromancer (or someone he assumed was a necromancer?) in the woods outside of town last night. Can't say whether it's got any weight to it or not... he makes outlandish claims a lot, especially when he's on the bottle, but he's been right a few times too. You can never say for sure with him. I also saw the guards arrest a man for stealing a cabbage this afternoon, which sort of set me down a little bit. Can't help feel for the guy, you know?

I was attacked again recently, about a couple weeks ago, and it's been on my mind ever since. I keep looking over my shoulder, I don't sleep easy at night. My friends and I were able to fend them off easily, but that doesn't really give me much solace--knowing you can be attacked... killed... at any time is scary. It's absolutely terrifying.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



Lerissa does not drink anything besides water and some tea; it is not that she has sworn it off or anything like that. It is simply that she doesn't want to set anything on fire. For now she's sitting with one leg pulled up onto the chair, her arms wrapped around it. Her week has been...relaxed. Relatively. She has been perching upon high locations and meditating in silence, or near the forge of the blacksmith, finding her center in blistering heat and blocking out the ringing hammers. For now, though, she taps her foot a bit as she talks. She's animated; when she isn't finding her center she's active and energetic.

"I don't really have much to go on here, myself. I had maybe heard about some thinks skulking around in caves nearby; maybe some sort of underground monsters coming from deeper in the caves? Not sure on that, and it might be nothing or just some hunter who curled up in the caves to rest for a spell or something." she shrugs. "Hopefully there's something. I would like to stretch my legs a bit..."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





It's been a bad day for Yraine, though you would not be able to see it from her placid exterior.

She had returned to Sharpeton in hopes of finding some promising young warriors who had, in a fit of exuberance. pledged their service to her after the last heroic accident she'd been involved in here. Unfortunately, they are nowhere to be found- gone off in search of some adventure some 2 months back and yet to return. The fear in the minds of their parents was infectious, and so Yraine had to politely bow out before everyone in the room broke down crying.

"Mind moves steady as water flows, streaming through time into the future," she mutters to herself, a little mantra to recenter after a setback. "Fear has passed. We are here now."

She takes a look at the bartender's wares, and politely, pushes the offered mug away. It is a day for water and thought.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




Angharad's spent most of this week organizing things for the next citizens' assembly. Today was for catering. This meant standing in ankle-deep mud while pastry-cooks and purveyors of roast fowl schemed around her for the most prominent spots on the grounds. This year they've been especially bitter. Angharad listened patiently, her heavy armor sinking ever-deeper into the mire, as they accused each other of witchcraft: "The Black Boar's spices are cursed by fiends!" "The Golden Duck's bewitched their customers, I can tell!"

Plausible, arcanically impossible, probably just bad fish, she's made careful mental notes of each accusation. The meat supply in the village may really be tainted by magic. Worth following up. Afterwards she arranged all of the stands in an equitable circle, told the squabbling chefs to be content with this, and went on her way to Duke's.

"Good to see you, Duke you old cur. Apologies for the mess!" She diligently wipes the mud from her boots before entering, then gingerly eases herself on the sturdiest-looking chair by the others.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




Ethrielle entered the pub with a sigh of relaxation. She sat at the usual table and ordered a stout glass of beer; when you grow up in a majority dwarf country you learn how to handle your alcohol.

"I meant to follow up on rumors of giant predator animals moving in from the south," she murmured. "Yeah, I know it's usually just someone seeing a large bobcat and thinking it's a small cougar. But you never know, it might be real this time. But Mrs. Haxton's boys were tormenting a stray cat and I had to give them a talking-to, then some of the men asked me for some pointers on keeping their weapons in good condition. You know the town armory's running low on bowstrings and tools and such? Either people are getting careless and keep having to replace their things or some of this stuff's growing legs if you catch my meaning. Anyway, after that I thought I found another of those people with the weird amulets and had to investigate that. Oh, but don't worry Elanis, it was a false alarm. What I'm trying to say is, I got a little distracted today." She took a long swig from her mug. "All in all, I'd say the town's in pretty good shape. Not perfect, but closer than most other places we've been, right?"

TheArchimage fucked around with this message at Oct 5, 2016 around 22:32

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



"That sounds way more interesting then what I heard." Lerissa says to Ethrielle. "...The part about the 'giant predator animals from the South'. I mean." she says. She didn't care that much about finding new bowstrings or something. "But then again some weird 'Necromancer' also sounds interesting..." she argues with herself. "but really the giant animals. I'm just imaging what that could even be and it's pretty entertaining. Or something. You don't remember more about it, do you?"

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




"Okay, 'giant' is probably overselling it on the townspeople's part. You know how it goes: the fish that gets away is always this big; the ancient warrior has arms the size of tree trunks; and the cat they found prowling their farm at night was the size of a horse with teeth like swords. I certainly haven't heard of dire animals migrating towards this region, but then again by now you know just because I have ears like this doesn't mean I'm in tune with nature, right?" She hated to curb Lerissa's enthusiasm, because honestly huge animals really did sound like it would be kinda fun. But it helped to keep perspective on these sorts of things.

TheArchimage fucked around with this message at Oct 5, 2016 around 22:32

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




There's an audible clinking as Angharad relaxes in her chair. The smells of the tavern are pleasantly familiar, and she becomes quite taken up in the small-talk.

"You know, they may have been there the whole time. Large heads of predator families can seclude themselves in some great warren, or cave, and let their clan do the hunting for them. The question would then be: what drove them out? Perhaps it was nosy folks hunting down rumors they were there." Angharad lets out a hearty laugh and waves her fingers in a tavern-goer's sign that the joke's not quite at the elf's expense. "Regardless, Ethrielle, I'm glad you saved that poor cat. Children can be so cruel."

She takes a brief aside to refuse a foaming platter of drinks. Politely, but rather hesitantly. "Nothing for today, Brenna. But I'll need a glass of that Thirdus Malt by week's end."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT RED BUFF




Karela ambles casually into the tavern, taking off her helmet and pushing back her hair with a gauntleted hand. She's a bit tired, a bit sore, but mostly feeling nice and relaxed after taking Hurri out for most of a day's ride. As nice as the people of Sharpeton are, not much has happened since the group returned, and Karela's been starting to feel antsy. Spending the day blowing off steam had done some good, but she's afraid that if she spends much more time in Sharpeton hanging around helping out farmers with odd jobs, she's going to forget how to do anything else. The other day, she'd overheard old man Lubeck trying to convince his oldest son she'd make a good wife. If any sign could be clearer for her to get moving, none were coming to mind.

Come to think of it, that reminds her.

"Lerissa! Wait, no, wait one minute. Brenna! Have I drunk you out of that hop mead yet? I swear, if I have one favourite thing about the lowlands, it's your sweets."

Karela drags a couple of chairs over from half-occupied tables to where the party sits. She throws herself back in one and puts her feet up on the other.

"Anyway. Lerissa. Out by the eastern gate maybe an hour ago, an old man stopped me. He was looking for you. Human, fair, big white beard, dressed in a long black cloak with symbols I don't know all down the front. Know anyone like that? I told him you were in town but that I didn't know where you were. Didn't like the way he talked, like he thought I was dumb. Thought about telling him you'd left town, but maybe you do know him."

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Brenna smiles apologetically. "We'll get new barrels in by the week's end, ms. Karela. But we have some Fandian Reds on the bottle, if you want something sweet." The serving girl is young, freckles dotting her pale face and a tight red bun crowning her head. She looks at you with respect and a hint of awe - like most city regulars you meet. Even this long after, Sharpeton is still reverent of its resident heroes. So you place your orders and further the discussion, trying to decide which of the rumours are actionable enough to work on, while winding down after the day's efforts.

Until the door slams open and another girl storms in.



Her face is streaked with half-dried, half-flowing tears, her eyes bloodshot and wide. The green dress she's wearing is muddy and torn, and she barely bothers brushing the disheveled hair out of her face. She stands in the doorway for a moment, panickedly scanning the inn for something - and finding it when she locks eyes with you. "Oh, thank Gods, you're here! Please, you have to help! They - they..." she stumbles over, obviously exhausted, weakly sobbing, "please...help me..." Now that she collapses to her knees at your table, you can see a few scratches and bruises here and there. Even if she weren't crying at your feet, it'd be obvious she's been attacked.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





And there's the fear again.

Easier this time though.

Yraine leaps to her feet and kneels down to help the terrified girl up. "What assails you? It will be fine- we heroes here will stop trouble whatever comes."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!



Elanis Dressant [sheet]

Elanis bolts right out of his chair upon hearing the door crash open, and, unsure of what it is at first, reaches for his dagger. Once he realizes it's a lady in distress, and that she'd been attacked, he quickly moves over to the door of the tavern to watch for any pursuers, standing off to the side to stay out of sight as he does so.

e: to add to the last line

Look Around You fucked around with this message at Oct 6, 2016 around 21:17

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



Lerissa isn't a healer, so she keeps her distance, but she shoots up like a fire was lit under her, rising in a quick, smooth motion as the woman enters, and hangs close but not immediately on top of her as others assess the woman's situation.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Yraine: The overwhelming fear and panic would bring a lesser-trained member of your family to their knees. This girl is terrified, and it's consuming her. She can't even answer you properly, hysterically rambling about a 'they' and how you have to help her. In her scrambled plea, though, you do catch a name. 'Edwin'. You know Edwin - well, you know an Edwin, at least. He's the owner of one of the cattle farms just a ways outside town. It's not the biggest farm, or even the wealthiest, but he does well enough for himself and his family, and he deals mostly in sheep and goats. His wife makes amazing cheese with their milk, too.

Elanis: The streets aren't quiet, but the people on it are minding their own business, mostly. One or two are staring in the direction of the inn, no doubt having seen the girl rush for Duke's establishment, but nobody malicious seems to be about that you can see at first glance.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




She quickly moved to the girl's side, helping her up and into a chair while examining the wounds. They did not look life-threatening, but one never knew if poison or disease would set in unless you saw it. She enacted her best bedside manner: "Come here, sit down. It's okay, we're here to help so nothing bad is going to happen now. Just keep breathing and look after yourself, you can tell us all you want in a minute so just take your time and focus on taking dee~p, slo~w breaths..."

Heal: 1d20+11 18

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




Angharad notes Elanis' actions and moves from her position with unnatural speed. She seems to skip standing up entirely. Her attention turns towards the inside of Duke's instead of the street, making herself a metal wall between the patient and any onlookers. She knows the regulars. Who else might be here?

"Everyone, remain nice and calm if you please. Ethrielle is a great healer, trust me, and she needs space to work." Her voice projects out, gentle yet firm.

"Duke, Brenna-anything you can spare for her would be a godsend."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"Friend," says Yraine, "please be calm. Breathe deep and think. Let the pain and fear pass you by."

She gently wipes a cloth over the girl's face. "I want to help. Where is the fear?"

Diplomacy: 1d20+13 18

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Under the caring hands of Ethrielle and Yraine, the girl slowly comes down from her panic, though her breath is still short and quick, and her eyes are still wide. The tavern patrons, thankfully, give the situation a wide berth at Angharad's directions, though after a curt nod from Duke, Brenna comes up with a glass of water. The girl seems to disregard it, her hands flighty at first, but latching on to Ethrielle's arms with the tightness of desperation before long. "P-please...they attacked the farm! Edwin, and Diane, and little Gard...I don't know if they're still alive, b-but - " More tears come and interrupt her words, but more soothing brings her back to the conversation. "I just ran, as soon as I heard the screams, and took a horse... - but they wounded it, and I had to run the rest of the way after it fell down..."

Some more prodding about the attackers only leaves her to shake her head. "I...I didn't see much. They came in the shadows, once dusk set, but there were at least a dozen...they were huge, and with glowing eyes, and teeth and roars - oh, it was horrible!" She retreats in on herself, letting go of Ethrielle to hug her own form, rocking back and forth slightly... "I was so scared...I thought I was dead, that they'd tear me apart and eat me or, or..." More tears still, and the girl shuts down again, sobbing and shaking on the floor of the tavern.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!



Elanis Dressant [sheet]

Elanis strides over to the girl. "Don't worry, we'll take care of this. Where is your farm at? We'll go there straight away." he asks in a soothing tone.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Brenna pipes up after the girl remains quiet, save for her sobbing. "Edwin's farm is a little ways west of here. 'bout an hour on foot. Less than half that if you have horses and hurry." She spares a pitying glance at the girl. "We can take care of her here, probably. I can send word for Father Ironbone, maybe one of the priests can make it down here." Father Wallis Ironbone is the head priest of the local temple of Moradin, and an established leader of the community. If nothing else, you know he'd take good care of the girl. He takes his duties very seriously.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



Lerissa actually moves forward now, now that they know a bit more. "...We'll need to get horses, then." she says. "Find someone to let us borrow them at least for now. And head out as soon. It'll have to be fast; at a point we lose so much time looking we'll be wasting time..." she mumbles. "If someone here is willing to let us borrow their horses while we solve this problem I'd be thankful." she announces to the crowd.

Diplomacy: 1d20+12 20

Stallion Cabana fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2016 around 19:16

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Lerissa's request is met with nervous silence, at first. It's not that people don't want to help, but well, the girl's story has them scared, too. Eventually, though, one of the patrons stands up. An older fellow, with a magnificent mustache adorning his rotund face. "I have a horse you can use. A black courser. Bit stubborn, but he'll get ya where you need to go, long as ya ride with a firm hand. Look for Seb at the stables, and ask for Ember. Ya have my permission." Emboldened by his example, a few others muster their courage and offer their horses, too; "Aye! Take Patience too!" "And Gallant! Go get those monsters!" No others come forward, but between the lot of you, three horses and Karela's goat should probably do the trick.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!



Elanis Dressant [sheet]

"So that's 4 mounts for 6 people. I'll double up with Karela on Hurri if she'll let me," he says, with a hint of excitement. He always was fond of her goat. "Anyway, we should get going!" he adds as he rushes out the door, running into a table and knocking over their glasses of beer as he does so. He calls out behind him, "Sorry! I'll cover you when we get back!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





Yraine looks at Lerissa. "....Is this a poor time for me to note that I am incompetent astride a steed?"

She looks almost bashful for a moment. "Lerissa, if you don't mind...?

K Prime fucked around with this message at Oct 9, 2016 around 20:54

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



Lerissa offers her a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, it's fine." she says. "You can ride with me. I won't let you fall or anything."

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




The girl's grip was pretty strong and actually hurt a bit, but she kept it off her face. She placed a reassuring hand on hers and looked into her eyes. "It's okay, you're safe now. What's your name? Leave the rest to us, <name>. We're going to go check on your family, but these people will take care of you and we'll be back before you know it." She desperately wanted to tell her they would save her family without fail, but who knew how long the rest of the farm had been besieged? She had learned early on in her adventuring career not to make promises she could not keep. She slapped a handful of coppers on the table without counting, saying over her shoulder, "If it's too much, Duke, keep the change. If it's not enough we'll settle our tab when we get back." Those who know Ethrielle well knew the expression on her face well; nervous energy furrowed her brow and set her chin in something like determination. Something had to be done and by gods and goddesses she was going to do it even if she was not the best person for the job.

She followed just behind Elanis. "Come on, there isn't another moment to lose."

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




The patrons who've lent their steeds get an earnest bow of thanks from Angharad. And the good news about Father Ironbone lifts her spirits even more. She stands at her full height, assured that the poor woman would be cared for. Now Angharad had business with metal and weight. "Then we are off! Worry not, we'll give whoever did this the drubbing of their lives!" Her words drip with raw confidence, booming through the confines of her helmet as she exits the tavern after Elanis.

Gramd, whose bulk had been respectfully lain against a rack outside Duke's, is promptly wrenched up and slung across her shoulder. Angharad's pace towards the stable hardly slows from the effort.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT RED BUFF




Karela, standing a short distance away from Ethrielle and the girl, takes her hand off her sword. There is no danger here. No time to sit around, either. Now knowing what she has to do, she strides out of the tavern and gives a sharp whistle. Within a few seconds, Hurri comes trotting up, snorting and munching on a bunch of hay.

"Ready, Elanis? I hope you can ride without a saddle. If not, don't worry too much - just hold on to me and I'll find you a healer in the morning."

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


The party hurries to the town gates, approaching the stables with urgency. Seb, the old stablemaster, listens patiently to your explanation of the emergency before he gives you the horses. "Y'all are gonna want to send 'em back before ya get into too much trouble,' he grumbles, "because they ain't yours to lead to death. So I'm riding with ya, and if I smell a whiff of trouble - and my nose is very sensitive, I'll have ya know - I'm turning these horses right back around!" Despite the warnings, though, he quickly prepares the horses for a swift ride. His bum leg that he drags around with every step doesn't seem to hinder him at all in his preparations, the expertise of years compensating for any handicap. So before long, the three horses - Ember, Patience and Gallant - and Hurri stand at the ready, while Seb prepares his own horse; a chestnut workhorse, larger and much more powerfully built than the three coursers. "Avalanche ain't as swift as the wind, but he'll keep up." Seb mentions, "Especially since y'all are taking a goat, can't be that hard to match pace, I reckon."

So you set off. Lerissa helps Yraine up to Ember before taking the reins, Angharad takes Gallant, the largest among them, (much to the horse's disdain; she bristles uneasily as the weight of the knight settles on her back) and Ethrielle straddles Patience, a lithe, pale grey mare. After a few moments of letting the horses get used to their new riders, you quickly guide them into a canter. Gallant refuses to gallop with Angharad on his back, though, so your speed isn't as high as you'd like it. Still, it doesn't take long before you come along a grisly sight. The girl's horse, maimed at the flank and with some dried foam at the mouth, lays to the side of the road. A broken spear, jagged and primitive looking, juts from the wound like a macabre victory banner. Blood covers the creature's legs and belly. Seb curses. "Poor lass. She gave it her all."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



"How awful..." she says somewhat to herself, somewhat to her passenger, and somewhat to everyone. "This wasn't just some 'normal' raid or something for supplies. They really went to the trouble of trying to hunt her down. I don't like what we're probably going to find..." she peers at the spear a bit more. "...And maybe too primitive to be a bandit. I imagine it may be something somewhat less.. mentally capable." she steels her face with a frown. "We'll have to hope for the best, but expect the worst, I suppose. And hope that they haven't gotten away..."

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




The ride causes a guilty slump to press down on Angharad's usual poise. Despite Gallant's refusal to gallop she doesn't even consider pressing him; Seb's words are taken to heart out of respect.

At the site she moves a metal-clad hand to avert the horse's gaze from the body, then strokes the withers on the courser's shoulders while whispering Elven phrases that should calm down a worried steed. "So this is what her rider escaped."

She emits a hollow cough before turning her helmeted head to Lerissa. "Indeed. But no matter how far the attackers have run, our duty remains. We'll hound them to the ends of Genora if we must! That their weapons weren't forged and stamped in Sharpeton should pose no obstacle."

Angharad racks her memory for old maps, local lore about folk with "glowing eyes", land dispute cases in the forest, wood sources that resemble the spear's haft, anything that could be a lead.

trying to identify where the spear's user may come from.
History: 1d20+13: 25

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


The decorations on the spear give it away almost immediately. This belongs to one of the lizardfolk tribes that make their home under the mountains that surround Madulane. Occasionally, they step out to the land, mostly to hunt some deer and forage for some berries. They tend to stay away from civilization, mostly, and civilization tends to stay away from them. The horses bristle and fidget at the sight of their dead kin, uneasy suddenly with the darkness of night and the trees around them. Seb comes around, shushing them gently in turn, but he throws you a weary glance. "We should move quickly. Horses, like men, don't like seein' corpses. Or smellin' em."

Angharad: They've not been sighted in a raid on civilized areas for as long as at least a few generations can remember. More worryingly, Sharpeton's quite a ways away from the nearest mountain. To have lizardfolk all the way out here...something must be very wrong.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




"Aye." Angharad mutters agreement but her gaze lingers on the weapon, dozens of explanations insinuating themselves into her mind. None of them pleasant. She mercifully turns Gallant towards the road ahead before explaining her findings.

"Karela, the journey this spear's taken here may be as long as your own. It's lizardfolk work; the kind that hasn't been seen outside the mountains for decades. Why it's here is-well, I can't say. Not for sure." She raises a sharp, accusing finger towards their destination. "We'd have to ask the ones who did this. And soon."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT RED BUFF




Karela nods at Angharad's words. The kill fits the lizardfolk she's known, down to leaving a harmless fleeing victim alive. Most of the conversations she's had with lizardfolk have been swirled in with liberal amounts of wine, but she's pretty sure she can remember some of Black-Tooth Salko's war stories about raiding the lowlands back in the day. Come to think of it, the markings on the spear look awfully familiar, too.

History: 1d20+9 = 29

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Karela: While you have had encounters with lizardfolk before in your home country, Madulane has their own tribes under the mountains. They're less aggressive than their northern brethren, preferring to stick to their own - though the markings fit with what you've encountered of them during your stay here. In your exploration of the region, and taking Hurri for mountain hikes (which he loves), you've encountered them occasionally, especially near caverns that were their home territory. While Maizaran lizardfolk are bold and often come down to raid villages, the Madulanian lizards you met were content to frighten you away from their home. However, one of the markings is unfamiliar to you. It seems particularly off-theme with the others, too - whereas they are all curves and circles, the new marking is a diamond within a diamond, each with perfect straight angles. They didn't have those when you met them.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





Yraine has not dismounted Lerissa's steed, on grounds it would require another 5 minutes to help her back on.
"We should move on swiftly my friends. Dawdling more here lets these creatures prey 'pon the lives of innocents."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



"Yes, you are right of course." Lerissa agrees, going to remount the horse. "Watch your head." she says as she swings around. "It's not prudent to ignore information we could gain, but standing here and gabbing on it while we could keep moving and discuss it in motion is also not the best use of our time." she says evenly.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


The horses are spurred on again, and you leave the bloody corpse with a grim sense of urgency driving you. Most of the ride is spent in further silence, but fortunately, you reach your destination soon. Forest gives way for grazing fields, and a view of the farmhouse. It's a devastating sight. There's no fire - thank the gods - but the walls have crumbled as if they were nothing but paper. Glass and debris covers the ground around it. The door has been practically ripped off the hinges and thrown against the fence. Seb is left aghast for a long moment, unsure of what to say as you bring your horses to a slow. You can see the barn, a ways off in the pasture, similarly broken up. What's more, however...is the silence. No goats or sheep bleating, no people crying or shouting for help...nothing. The sun has set completely, now, and darkness has enveloped the farm. No lights. No sound.

You might be too late.

Elanis, Ethrielle, passive perception: Except for something rustling about in the house. It takes you a moment of focus, straining your ears to cover the distance, but something is definitely still inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





Yraine looks over the scene. Quietly, she speaks. "This is monstrous."

What else is there to say?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«9 »