Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




Angharad creakily waves off the elf's protest. "We all carry our share of mistakes, Ethrielle. No good in blaming yourself needlessly. Besides, a good deed must be answered, no matter the circumstance!" This last outburst is met with an earnest fist-bump against her cuirass.

Dirthak's plight, too, elicits quite the pang of sympathy. After a brief nod to Yraine, she makes eye contact with the lizardfolk and speaks to him directly. "I, Angharad, accept your surrender and extend what protection my name can give. Dirthak, so long as you conduct yourself peaceably you shall find no hurt from Sharpeton or the shiny one."

With this safety promised, the usual curious cogwheels begin turning within the woman's head. "Though do tell us what you can of the shiny one. Knowledge reaches further than any spear, after all."

Rolling to guess at what this shiny baddy may be.
History: 1d20+13: 19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




Ethrielle interjected, "Wait, before that. The first and only thing I want to know right now, is about the family. The humans that were here on the farm when his warband attacked. What happened to them? Where are they? Ask Dirthak that, Yraine, even if the answer isn't good. Please." Her eyes quivered, hoping for a happy ending but steeling themselves for a bad one.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





Yraine lets everyone else give her a list of questions and demands, then adds her own to the end. "Are any more attacks en route?"

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



At the edge of the doorway, Lerissa looks at Elanis and Karela and nods. "Go slow, sweep the rooms. Watch each other's backs, check hiding places. An Ambush is less worrying then scaring any survivors into hiding further, so as long as we're watching each other's backs, we can call out to them." she says, entering the doorway. "Hello? It's safe now, if you were hiding from the Lizardmen..."

pre:
Lerissa   						 
HP: 24/38 (THP: )        AC:   22    Passive Insight: 12
Surges: 6/7 (V: 9)       For:  15    Passive Perception: 17
Initiative: +7   	 Ref:  20   Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 18    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will
Blistering Flourish
Steel Wind  
Desert Wind Flurry of Blows

Encounter	
[ ] Light The Fire
[ ] Burning Brand
[ ] Hellfire Heart
[ ] Dark Reaping
[ ] Second Wind

Daily	
[x ] Risen Sun
[ ] Supreme Flurry

Item Powers
[ ] Fireblood Ki Focus
[ ] Robe of Contingency Cloth Armor
[ ] Spidersilk Mantle
[ ] Flame Bracers (Heroic)

Conditionals/Resists:
Resist 5 Fire
Imperious Majesty: When hitting a Creature who has not yet acted, it takes -5 to attacks against me until EoNT
Unnatural Vitality: When dropping, remain conscious and dazed, but fall unconscious if failed death saving throw.
Undead: You are considered both a Living Creature and an Undead Creature

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT RED BUFF




Finding no bodies leaves Karela on edge. It's far from the scene she expected to see in the farmhouse, and while less grisly, it raises more questions in her mind than the alternative.

"Huh. Did the others escape, too? Doubt it. Did they get carried off somewhere? No need for the lizardfolk to still be here, then." Her questions ring through the silence of the house, addressed to no-one in particular. Maybe the party outside will find some answers from their captive.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Dirthak finally manages to muster enough courage to get up, rather than cower on the ground. He seems to take your word for it that you'll not kill him. "Shiny one is old, old thing. Not lizard, no, but has many scales anyway, shiny and glowing in light. Shiny one has power, too, magics of mind and body, and controls chief and elders. Warriors and others, we listen to chief and elders as always , but we know shiny one is speaking through their mouths. But tribe no know what to do about shiny one, so we do. Shiny one treat tribe well if we obey, but sometime warriors or others go missing. Come back like big one, changed by shiny one."

Angharad: Racking your accumulated knowledge about scaled beings that glow, and aren't lizardmen, your thoughts immediately go to some of the snake-like beings that you've heard tell about in your past. Medusas and Yuan-ti both fit the description of 'old, not lizard but scaled body, employing magic', but why either of them would bother with a reasonably peaceful lizardman tribe is beyond you.

The lizard sighs, and shrugs. "Softskin farmers were target. Shiny one want softskin brood. Dirthak no know why shiny one want this, but no ask questions either. So warband come to farm, make noise. One brood got away while half of warband take littlest one and parents back to Snagglestone warren. Rest of warband," he pauses slightly, gesturing at the corpses you left in your wake, "chased getaway brood, but horse too fast even for big one. Go back to farm, prepare to go home, but big one got angry! Much angry, too much to handle for warriors, so warriors let big one smash house to calm down. But heroes come and stop warband, and now Dirthak tribeless."

"Dirthak no know of more attacks. But if shiny one wants more softskins for magics, then more attacks will come. If not, then not. Shiny one does...things, to bodies and minds. Tribe has rumors, but not know what."

--

Meanwhile, in the house, silence reigns. Walls and furniture have been shattered, and you find some more blood - either the farmer managed to wound one of the lizards, or the other way around. Under the remains of a shattered drawer, you find a little journal, the white leather binding engraved with the name 'Diane'.

Leafing through it, it's mostly a daily account by the farmer's wife, the interesting or otherwise noteworthy things that had happened throughout her life, as a way to practice her letters. Her writing isn't always legible, and the book has gathered some marks over time, but you manage to pick up on some things. Apparently her child has been showing some latent magical talent, something of great interest to Diane who apparently is descended from a mage. The mother seemed to be quite excited to send her daughter off to the College of Magical Arts in Blackvale, and seemed to have been saving up some money for the fact.

You also find some of their valuables, scattered about the house. Looks like the lizards weren't interested in riches, a total of about 500 gp's worth.

Wahad fucked around with this message at Nov 6, 2016 around 19:15

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"We have no moonlight to lose," says Yraine. "We must pursue the other band before they reach their dark warrens. Lest we allow dreadful deeds to befall these innocent people."

She starts to walk toward the horses. "We have a long, hard night ahead. Come, friend Dirthak. You will lead us to your warren."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!



Elanis Dressant [sheet]

"I agree. We should prepare to leave at once... though I'm not quite comfortable leaving the family's valuables here to be stolen by looters. Perhaps we could take them with us and return them to the family after we rescue them? Even if they met an unfortunate fate, I'm sure the girl would appreciate it."

Look Around You fucked around with this message at Nov 6, 2016 around 23:45

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




Angharad, when she's somewhat sure that Yraine isn't looking, points towards Dirthak and then towards the horses. She then takes her hands and mimes a sort of play; one gauntlet performs as a lizardman guide and the other acts as a wary steed with a very strong kick. It ends with a chiding nod; she knows their mounts remember what happened to that poor horse. Hopefully, the twitching wreck of his on-stage counterpart will teach him to be careful on their journey to Snagglestone.

"I would prefer time to plan, Yraine, but it seems this evening does call for a blitz game." Angharad cups another hand and calls back to the house. "Friends! We're to hie towards the lizardfolks' tribe at once. Edwin, Diane, and Gard may yet live!"

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.


Lerissa rushes out as she hears the story "If time is of the Essence, We must strike while the Fire is Hot, and take them through. I won't allow them to do this without a full intent to stop them." she says, slamming her fist into her open palm. "Let's get the horses and be on our way again." she says with a strong nod.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT RED BUFF




"We ride, then! Come, Elanis, I'm sure their things will still be here when we get back."

Karela was growing bored of searching anyway. Sheathing her sword, she strides back out of the house to where the others are gathered. As she makes her way down the front steps, Hurri gives her hand a big slurp.

"Ah! Of course I didn't forget about you! Who's the good boy who kept that big tall lizardman away from our friends? That's right, I think you know who it is!" Grinning, she slips him an apple from her bag. "Now stay there a minute, I have to check your wound."

Karela walks over to Hurri's flank where the raider cut him and crouches down to take a closer look. It's still open, but as he doesn't seem to mind when she pushes down on the flesh next to it, it doesn't seem that deep. Nothing serious, though she figures she might as well at least clean it a bit before they get moving. She turns to the rest of the party.

"Before we rush in, Hurri here could do with a minute to let his wounds settle down. And by the looks of us, he's not the only one."


Let's do a short rest before we get moving!

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Karela's words ring true, and despite the need for speed, you decide to rest up for a moment and tend to the most grievous of wounds. The ride ahead is a long one, if you have to make it all the way to the mountains, and you have to be able to save the farmers if you are going to chase after them. No use showing up without a way to fight off the lizards. Yraine manages to locate Seb, some distance away from the farm, tending to the horses. "Ah! Victorious, then? The horses are ready to head back, and not a moment too soon. It's getting late." His relieved expression turns dour as she relays the news. "Honestly, if you're going to the mountains, I'm not sure they're prepared for that. It's a long ride, especially with the knight on Gallant. He's still a bit bristly about the weight."

He spends a moment in silence, patting the flank of his own horse. "But I suppose there's no other choice, is there? Can't rightly put the well-being of a horse over that of Edwin and his family." The old man lets out a low whistle, and the horses immediately come to attention. "Let's go, then. Moradin protect us." He follows Yraine back to the group, horses in tow, and starts letting you mount up...only to cut things off a moment later, as he spies Dirthak. "Now, hold on just a hot second! You left one of those things alive? After what they did?!" His resigned face twists with indignation. "No, no way. I'm not gonna let that thing mount up. I gotta think about the horses!" Seb is obviously not a warrior - he carries no weapon, and his build is that of a laborer, not a fighter - but his fists are balled, and he seems ready to brawl but for the slightest provocation.

Dirthak, scared by the sudden, threatening newcomer, draws his blade in reflex, though he doesn't strike either. "Mercy! Heroes promised Dirthak!" he yelps.

Short rest. Spend healing surges as needed, regain all encounter powers.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"Friend Seb, while I understand your fear, Dirthak is the only one of us who knows the way," says Yraine calmly. "We cannot move blindly against our lizard foes. In return for his guidance to his warren-home, he is under my protection. I suggest you do not ask me to break that word."

Diplomacy: 1d20+13 30
Spending one surge to get back to full up

K Prime fucked around with this message at Nov 8, 2016 around 20:19

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


It takes a long, quiet moment after Yraine makes her plea. Seb's muscles tense, and he seems poised to strike...but he relaxes with a frustrated sigh. "Fine. But if that thing hurts one of the horses - directly or indirectly - I'm holding you responsible!" He jabs Yraine in the chest with a pointed finger, before heading back to his horse and mounting up, surly and uneasy. You all take your place back on your original horses - Gallant once again snorting uneasily as Angharad mounts up - leaving Dirthak, knife sheathed once again, to saddle up with Ethrielle. Thus mounted once more, the party takes off under Dirthak's directions.

In the darkness, it's not quite as easy a trip as it otherwise might have been. Especially once you get to the forested areas again, you have to take it slower than you might like, in order to avoid the horses tripping over stray branches or the like. Still, you make good pace - it's better than walking, at any rate. But the lizardfolk warband has a good head start, and you're not sure what else you might find in their ranks, or how fast they're moving. Dirthak only gives you a general direction to where the warren is, presumably the route they took on the way to the farm, but under cover of night you have zero idea if you're following the warband's tracks.

Turns out lizardfolk move at a pretty quick pace, if they want to. At least three hours pass without even the slightest clue as to the warband's presence. What little moonlight passes through the cloud cover does give you a moment's pause, though, as you find a disturbing sight, almost passed over but for Ethrielle's sharp eyes as she halts the charge. Before you, unceremoniously dumped, lie two bodies. The first you notice is that of an older man, with a bald head and a stocky stature. His clothes are simple, his hands calloused and bloody. Next to him lies another lizardman, a small knife embedded in his throat. The lizardman is slender, but tall, with a red sheen to his scales. The man's torso, as you turn his corpse around, has been rent open by some weapon or another, and his tunic is soaked with warm blood.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"Friend Seb, is that Edwin who lies dead 'pon the earth?" asks Yraine, quietly. "I did not know the man by sight."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT RED BUFF




"Huh. Hey Seb, is this Edwin? Looks like he didn't want to go down without a fight."

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


It takes a moment for Seb to answer, but when he does speak it's quiet and taken aback. "Yeah. That's Ed alright. Gods preserve."

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




Angharad gradually casts her glance towards Seb. Her words are not quiet, yet they are solemn and touched with sympathy. "May he rest well."

Eyes close, briefly, behind her visor.

Healing up to full with 4 surges.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



Lerissa offers a frown and an obviously somber tone. "Well this isn't very good at all." she mumbles. "Time seems to be even more of the essence then we assumed." She notes to herself. She then raises her voice when she speaks again. "May he rest in peace, but if we're to give him a proper send-off it'll be by saving the people he fought for. So let's make sure we succeed." she says, sadly but with conviction.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




"Your words hold merit, Lerissa, and yet..." Angharad holds a hand to her chin, her index finger tapping from some internal debate. "somehow, I cannot let him lie like this. Excuse me."

At one instant the elector's bulk is seated on Gallant, and in the next she appears standing with a hand thrust into her saddlebags. She quickly draws out a coarsely-woven sheet. With this tucked under-arm, she briskly walks towards Edwin's body and lifts it from the road-side. Soon the body lies shaded by the canopy of nearby trees, its bleeding form covered with a makeshift shroud.

She promised long ago, to let none die untended on a lonely road. Not those she's sworn to safeguard. Before a minute has passed she's apologetically patted Gallant on the head and remounted. "Pardon an aging woman her sentiment."

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


With the solemn moment passed in respect of Edwin's sacrifice, you decide to move on quickly. Seb trails behind you, grimly quiet, as you course on through the night. Hours pass. Exhaustion threatens you, as you ride on through the night, but the determination of saving whoever's left alive pushes it aside for later consideration. There is no time to rest, now. Dawn begins to come up behind you, the first trails of light across the blackened sky, as you begin to approach the Shadowed Wall, the mountain range which shields Madulane from the rest of the world. It's still dark, but Dirthak waggles agitatedly on the horse. "Stop, stop!" he hisses, his finger pointing in the distance, to somewhere on the slopes of the nearest hill. "Over there! Warband, moving swift, carrying softskins!" It's hard to make out from this distance, but following his intense gaze, some of you are able to make out something moving, at least.

If you could gallop, you might be able to overtake them before the lizards move into the treacherous terrain of the mountains. When pressed onward, Dirthak whines. "No, no! Dirthak point way, yes, for protection, but no go to warren. Dirthak no fight tribemates, is not for us! Dirthak fight tribemates, Dirthak's spirit never reach Great Nest!" You set on, pressing your horses despite their unease. Seb pipes in from behind. "That big goat might be well off over in the passes, but these horses won't be much use. They're flatland animals, not climbers." Still, you move.on until the last possible moment. Dirthak reports the warband has moved slightly east, towards the pass that according to him leads to the warren. The terrain transitions into uneven, craggy rock as you begin to climb, and you have to slow down, lest the horses break something.

"I don't like bringing the horses in there," Seb cautions, gesturing at the high cliff walls that surround you as you move to the indicated pass, "that's an ambush waiting to happen." Dirthak soundly agrees. "Yes, yes! Tribe always watches, always ready. Mostly scare off travelers, big noises and shake spears, but will fight if scaring doesn't work. That is Snagglestone way."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT RED BUFF




"No one's asking you to fight your tribemates, Dirthak. I understand. But we're getting through this pass, horses or not, fighting or not. You can come in behind us if you like, or stay out here. We're just looking for two people, two of Edwin's family who might still be alive. Maybe we'll stick a boot up the rear end of this 'shiny one' while we're here. But we're not looking to hurt anyone else if we don't have to."

Karela looks across the rest of the party, squinting in the sunrise. She scans their faces for agreement. Despite fatigue fouling her mood, it's clear in her mind that the "shiny one" is the culprit they're truly chasing, that any other bloodshed would be best avoided if possible. Anxious to get the day's work done and get to sleep, she's also hoping to get everyone on the same page so that this can be their last distraction before they launch themselves into the lizard tribe's den.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



The Tiefling nods. She looks tired but focused at this point. "He doesn't have to fight if he doesn't want to, and we do just want to rescue them, hopefully, but we will fight them if we have to. That does not mean we are looking for a fight. She may have slightly dosed off on the ride and probably had to have Yraine rouse her, but she looks like she's fighting tiredness with exertion, twisting a bit in order to keep moving. "We must do our best, but that doesn't mean we're going to go in and look for a fight, I agree. We will fight if we have to, but otherwise seek not to. If you would rather stay outside, we won't speak a word of this or anything."

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




Ethrielle told her passenger, "Don't worry, we're not going to make you do anything you really don't want to." She considered patting Dirthak's head but decided against it. That was probably the fatigue talking. "We haven't had problems with your people in the past and we don't want trouble now." To everyone else she said, "We can't really leave this 'shiny one' alone if he's going to be causing incidents like this, but that can wait until Edwin's family is safe. If we have to fight, I'm ready."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"We do battle," says Yraine, her placid face concealing any sign of tiredness. "Such that would send the unwilling to slay innocents would fain throw their thralls 'gainst us with no remorse or hesitation."

She dismounts, her face concealing relief at not having to ride any further. "We should leave the horses here with Seb, and continue. <Dirthak, fear not. I will shoulder the blame for your deeds as your liege. Guide us anon.>"

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


You dismount, allowing Seb to gather the horses. "I'll head for the forest again. Think I'd rather stay far away from those lizards, and I could use a nap. If you're not back in a day, though, I'm going to head back to town. I have my responsibilities, too." He slowly starts guiding the horses back from the mountains, as you begin the climb. There's a path, but it's a tough climb for anyone except Hurri. Still, with some help from Dirthak, you manage to make good pace, and you come up to the pass you observed earlier.



The mountains rise around you like a colossal wall, your shadows elongated along the path from the sunrise at your back. As you approach the pass, you notice that Dirthak has disappeared! "Dirthak trust master's word, but no stupid! Dirthak stay sightless while tribe around, and no fight. No want to break lizard rules," his voice comes to you, faded as if from far away - it seems he's used his magics to turn invisible. "This pass always guarded by Snagglestone. Dirthak no certainty why no tribekin around..." As if by magic, a loud, echoing boom echoes through the pass. Up ahead, spear planted firmly in the ground, is a tall, powerfully built lizardman, decorated frills around his head splayed wide in a gesture of warning. He pulls up his shield, and slams his spear into the ground again, sending another echo through the canyon.

Dirthak yelps quietly. "Bad news! Bad news masters! That Thotka, chief of all warbands of Snagglestone! Most fierce warrior! Run away, run away!" His voice is as quiet as he can manage, but he's obviously freaked out.

The lizardman in front of you shouts out - in Common. "Turn back! This is Snagglestone territory. You are not welcome! Go back to your home, softskins!" That's odd. Those of you who have had dealings with the lizards before have never known them to talk in Common. "I warn you, for Snagglestone has no quarrel with you. Take heed, and turn back!" As he delivers his message, you notice that around you, a gentle fog is arising. It's not enough to obscure vision, though it is slightly cold to the touch. Morning mist, one might assume...if not for the fact that the sky has been clear enough all night that morning mist would be an oddity.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



"Hold on." Lerissa says, raising her hands in the air in a gesture of surrender and peace. Not entirely above her head, but about her head level, her palms showing. "Chief Thotka, we do not mean to harm you, nor to intrude or cause offense to you or yours. We only seek to find a pair of our own tribesmen, a woman and her daughter, that have been taken this way. We seek no quarrel other then the safe return of those we look for." Maybe she's lying, maybe not. But she's being very calm as she says it, like she is trying to defuse the situation. "We are not sure why our tribesmen have been attacked, and seek to understand and hopefully resolve this with the return of our tribesmen and a discussion on what has occurred."

Diplomacy: 1d20+12 32

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Thotka is quiet for a long moment. You can hear birdsong, somewhere behind you, as the world starts to wake again with the new day. "It is true we have taken these softskins," he says, "and for that you have my apologies. It was a cowardly act, but a necessary one. Turn back. Your tribelings were lost to the world the moment our new master decided he needed them. I can not let you take them." His stance is unmoved, though his frills bend back a little. "The master's motives are their own. I can not explain them to you, for I do not know them. Turn back. I shall not warn again."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"<We will not, friend,>" says Yraine, limbering her flail. "<I am sorry.>"

The flail does a little figure eight in the air. It is almost dainty, but it speaks of someone trained from birth to use such weapons on those below them. To put, and keep, people in their place.

Its owner has long disavowed such terrible ideals. But the skills remain, and the implications.

Yraine stares at him, face as unmovingly calm as a windless lake. "<Know this, Thotka, chief of the damned. You can save your people from this. It is not yet too late an hour. I do not wish to harm you, friend.>"

A chill breeze blows across the lake. The flail head lands idly in Yraine's other hand.

"<But harm I shall.>"

Intimidate: 1d20+11 25

K Prime fucked around with this message at Nov 16, 2016 around 04:27

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!



Elanis Dressant [sheet]

Elanis turns to Dirthak and calmly says to him, hoping he either understands or that Yraine will translate, "Dirthak, we will not force you to fight your own tribesmen. Hang back and out of the fight if you'd prefer." With that, he draws his daggers and prepares to fight the lizardmen blocking their paths.

Initiative: 1d20+7 19


pre:
Elanis Dressant   						 
HP: 48/48 (THP: )		AC:  21			Passive Insight: 13
Surges: 6/6 (V: 12)		Fort: 16		Passive Perception: 20
Initiative: +1			Ref:  21		Action Points: 1
Speed: 7			Will: 15		Vision: low-light
Languages: Common, Elven

Basic Attacks
MBA (Dagger): +13; 1d4+4
RBA (Dagger): +13; 1d4+7

At-Will				Encounter			Daily
Piercing Strike			[ ] Action Point		[ ] Press the Advantage
Clever Strike			[ ] Second Wind
				[ ] Elven Accuracy                   	
				[ ] Disciplined Counter        
				[ ] Dazing Strike
				[ ] Tumble
				[ ] Low Slash
                    
Item Powers
[ ] Gloaming Leather Armor (Encounter)
[ ] Gloves of Piercing (Daily)

Conditionals/Resists
Reactive Stealth: Can make Stealth check to hide if I have cover or
		concealment when rolling initiative 
Light Blade Expertise: +1 to damage when attacking with CA
Brutal Scoundrel: Add Str mod to Sneak Attack damage
Backstabber: Sneak Attack dice are d8s

Look Around You fucked around with this message at Nov 15, 2016 around 22:37

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT RED BUFF




"We're not giving the lowlanders up for dead. If you truly didn't want to take them, you understand the position we're in now. We have to find them. We have to find your master. We will not turn back."

Her hand firmly gripping her sword's hilt, Karela takes the moment before battle breaks to scan her surroundings, taking in which slopes will be amenable to Hurri's hooves and which are too treacherous to reckon with in the heat of battle.

Perception: 1d20+2 = 15

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




Angharad, trying to answer Thotka's booming strikes, raises her weapon and plunges it head-first against the rocky ground. But the sore wounds on her arm jerk back, and with an exasperated cry the woman stumbles forward and collapses against Gramd's handle. Only a few stray pebbles are moved by the display. She struggles to pull herself back up, the weight of her upper body shuddering with the rise and fall of heavy breaths.

"...hah...Chief- Chief Thotka. Do you truly believe this will protect your people? Stealing out at night, sacrificing innocents from both our tribes to a master who hardly cares for them? 'Tis not becoming of a Chief of Snagglestone." In the morning sun, the craters left by the Brute begin to gleam with the rest of her. As it rises ever higher it infuses Angharad with a defiant pride. "If you wish to settle this question by a fair battle, then so be it!"

Intimidate: 1d20+10 13
Initiative: 1d20+6 17

pre:
Stalwart Angharad   						 
HP: 50/50 (THP: )        AC:   23    Passive Insight: 11
Surges: 8/12 (V: 12)    For:  19    Passive Perception: 11
Initiative: +6   	 Ref:  20    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5     	         Will: 15    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Feywild Guardian         [ ] Glowering Threat                     
Glimmering Blade         [ ][ ] Power Strike                   
Defend the Line          [ ] Fey Step        
Defender Aura            [ ] Second Wind
                    
Item Powers
[]Plate Armor of Dwarven Vigor

Conditionals/Resists:
Bludgeon Expertise: +1 to sq. to push and slide attacks with hammer and mace
Vicious Advantage: Gain CA against slowed or immobilized targets
World Serpent's Grasp: Knock slowed or immobilized targets prone on hit
Badge of the Berserker: When you charge, your movement made as part of the charge doesn't provoke Opportunity Attacks.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Then you leave me no choice. You know not what horrors will be wrought on our tribe should we defy the master. I am not strong enough to save my people from that. None of our tribekin are." Thotka smacks his spear into his shield, and flares out his frills once more, roaring some command in Draconic. "Attack the intruders! Protect our home!". You no longer hear Dirthak, other than some vague scrabbling behind you. He's headed for safety, and you can see why. A pack of snarling, snapping drakes comes up to Thotka's side at his command, looking feral and hungry.

A fireball is lobbed from the ridge above you, striking Hurri in the pelt and startling the goat. Meanwhile, the mists seem to consolidate around the forward members of the party, clouding around their heads and filling their lungs; you hear chanting from behind Thotka, and see a smaller lizard, decorated with many bones and paint, clutching a staff that glows dully in the mist. The fight is on!



Lizardman Pyro hits Hurri for 13 fire damage.
Lizardman Mystic uses an area burst attack against Angharad, Lerissa and Yraine and hits all three for 15 damage. All three are dazed (save ends)

Elanis, Angharad and Yraine are up!

Light-grey squares are ridges that are 20 feet up. Creatures adjacent on ridges have partial cover to ranged attacks from below. Ridges can be climbed with an Athletics check.
Brown squares are sheer cliffs. They are impassable terrain.


pre:
Initiative Order
Init	Name	Location  HP    AC  Fort  Ref  Will   Conditions 

27 	Pyro       I10  ??/??   ??   ??   ??   ??      
21 	Mystic     D8   ??/??   ??   ??   ??   ??    
19 	Elanis	   O5   48/48   21   16   21   15    
17      Angharad   L7   35/50   23   19   20   15     Dazed (Save Ends)
13	Yraine	   M5   29/44   19   18   15   19     Dazed (Save Ends)
11      Pack	   G4   ??/??   ??   ??   ??   ?? 
10      Chief      G6   ??/??   ??   ??   ??   ?? 
10      Lerissa    K6   23/38   22   15   20   18     Dazed (Save Ends)
10      Ethrielle  O8   36/36   19   15   19   19      
8       Karela     O6   42/42   22   20   17   19    
	Hurri      O6   45/58   17   16   14   14    

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




Part of her job in the team was to keep an eye out for ambushes and neutralize attackers from afar. This was especially important with any mind-affecting attacks which could cause them to be overwhelmed in moments. She recognized a spell being cast and let an arrow fly, not fast enough to dispel it completely but hopefully it was in time to stop the caster's concentration. The spells effects should be reduced, hopefully just enough to prevent the first attack from being a decisive one.

Immediate Interrupt: Disruptive Strike to the Mystic in response to the attack on Angharad. Sorry Lerissa and Yraine, but we need her to form our frontline. I'd have saved Yraine if she had a way to grant saving throws outside of spending her own surges, and with the attack rolls they had and Lerissa's bad Fort there wasn't anything I could do for the monk.
Disruptive Strike vs AC: 1d20+10 28 1d12+7 11 damage and the attack on Angharad gets a -7 penalty to the attack roll, which should turn it into a miss.


pre:
Ethrielle Syvan   						 
HP: 34/36 (THP: )        AC:   19    Passive Insight: 16
Surges: 5/7 (V: 9)       For:  15    Passive Perception: 23
Initiative: +6   	 Ref:  19    Action Points: 1
Speed: 7     	         Will: 19    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven
Status:

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Twin Strike             [ ] Elven Accuracy                   [x] Silent Malediction
Grasping Shards         [ ] Second Wind                   
Hunter's Quarry         [ ] Whispers of Defeat        
                        [ ] Invigorating Stride
                        [x] Disruptive Strike
                    
Item Powers
[ ] Greatbow of Frost
[ ] Gloves of Piercing
[ ] Shadowdance Leather Armor

Conditionals/Resists:
My ranged and area attacks do not provoke opportunity attacks.
I get a +1 bonus to all defenses vs. ranged attacks from 5 or more squares away.
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, all weapon attacks performed through the Greatbow
	of Frost deal cold damage and gain the damage bonus from Silvery Glow.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





As the blast hits Yraine instinctively shields Lerissa's mind at the cost of her own.

"Gnngh!" Her teeth grit, but she has the practice at this- it does not deter her.

"I... told you.... this will end poorly," she gets out, before urging weakened legs into action and striking the lizard sharply across the face with her flail.

It is not a strong strike, but it makes the point.

I use sympathetic agony in response to the blast, cutting the damage dealt to Lerissa in half and preventing her from taking the Daze.
I charge to I7.

Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+11 28 1d8+6 7
Save: 1d20 3

pre:
Yraine   						 
HP: 29/44 (THP: )        AC:   19    Passive Insight: 15
Surges:  9/10 (V:11)     For:  18    Passive Perception: 13
Initiative: +4   	 Ref:  15    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5    	         Will: 19    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Draconic
Power Points: 5/5

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Energizing Strike       [ ] Adept's Insight                  [ ] Implanted Suggestion
Demoralizing Strike     [ ] Eldritch Strike                  
Ire Strike              [ ][ ] Ardent Surge     
                        [ ] Ardent Alacrity
                        [ ] Second Wind
                        [ ] Battle Awareness    
                        [X] Sympathetic Agony

Item Powers
Casque of Tactics [ ]
Staggering Alhulak [ ]
Quicksilver Chainmail [ ]

Conditionals/Resists:
Flail Expertise: Choose to knock enemies prone instead of sliding.
Bolstering Surge: When I spend a healing surge, ally within my mantle gets 5 THP or saves
Wind of Sympathy: Ally in Mantle can use second wind when I do

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




"Very well! If you will not act, we'll see if our strength can defy this 'master'!"

Her great-hammer, apparently too heavy for her wounded limb, grinds along the earth as she charges forwards. Bits of stone scatter in its wake.

As soon as she nears striking distance Angharad lowers herself down and musters a risky leap towards Thotka's left. In mid-air she swings a clear blow against the chief's head, and her weapon nearly completes its arc before- she vanishes from sight.

She re-appears, still mid-swing, above the chieftain's right side. Poised to hit her real target. Aided by the clattering force of Angharad's landing, Gramd cracks into the lizardman's unguarded leg. The ruse worked.

Minor: Defend the Line Stance
Standard: Charge to I6, MBA against Chief 1d20+12: 28, adding on a Power Strike for 21 damage and Slowed until EoMNT
Pack o' Drakes and Chief subject to Def. Aura

pre:
Stalwart Angharad   						 
HP: 50/50 (THP: )        AC:   23    Passive Insight: 11
Surges: 8/12 (V: 12)    For:  19    Passive Perception: 11
Initiative: +6   	 Ref:  20    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5     	         Will: 15    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Feywild Guardian         [ ] Glowering Threat                     
Glimmering Blade         [ ][x] Power Strike                   
Defend the Line          [ ] Fey Step        
Defender Aura            [ ] Second Wind
                    
Item Powers
[]Plate Armor of Dwarven Vigor

Conditionals/Resists:
Bludgeon Expertise: +1 to sq. to push and slide attacks with hammer and mace
Vicious Advantage: Gain CA against slowed or immobilized targets
World Serpent's Grasp: Knock slowed or immobilized targets prone on hit
Badge of the Berserker: When you charge, your movement made as part of the charge doesn't provoke Opportunity Attacks.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at Nov 18, 2016 around 06:53

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!



Elanis Dressant [sheet]

Sizing up the situation, Elanis decides taking down the chief is the best course of action--it may even cause the others to flee. He rushes up beside him and uses Angharad as a distraction to strike at the side of the chief.

Move: to I8
Standard: Clever Strike vs AC: 1d20+13+2 20 1d4+7+2d8+2+1 21
(Clever strike gives me CA when an ally is adjacent to the enemy; +2 to hit, +1 to damage)

pre:
Elanis Dressant   						 
HP: 48/48 (THP: )		AC:  21			Passive Insight: 13
Surges: 6/6 (V: 12)		Fort: 16		Passive Perception: 20
Initiative: +1			Ref:  21		Action Points: 1
Speed: 7			Will: 15		Vision: low-light
Languages: Common, Elven

Basic Attacks
MBA (Dagger): +13; 1d4+4
RBA (Dagger): +13; 1d4+7

At-Will				Encounter			Daily
Piercing Strike			[ ] Action Point		[ ] Press the Advantage
Clever Strike			[ ] Second Wind
				[ ] Elven Accuracy                   	
				[ ] Disciplined Counter        
				[ ] Dazing Strike
				[ ] Tumble
				[ ] Low Slash
                    
Item Powers
[ ] Gloaming Leather Armor (Encounter)
[ ] Gloves of Piercing (Daily)

Conditionals/Resists
Reactive Stealth: Can make Stealth check to hide if I have cover or
		concealment when rolling initiative 
Light Blade Expertise: +1 to damage when attacking with CA
Brutal Scoundrel: Add Str mod to Sneak Attack damage
Backstabber: Sneak Attack dice are d8s

Look Around You fucked around with this message at Nov 18, 2016 around 19:51

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Aye, it will." Thotka agrees as he steps back, allowing his drakes to charge in and snap at Angharad, though their jaws are ineffective against her hardened armor. "For you." A lightning bolt courses over the ridge and explodes on Yraine, sending jolts into the compatriots next to her. In her groggy state, she barely has time to duck the chief's first blow, before he flattens her with the other. "Turn back!" He roars to the others. "Only death awaits you here!"



For ending her turn adjacent to the Drake Hunting Pack, Angharad takes 5 damage.
The Drake Hunting Pack attacks Angharad, but misses.
Lizardman Lightning Bomber attacks Yraine and hits for 6 lightning damage. Elanis, Angharad and Lerissa take 5 lightning damage.
Chief Thotka shifts back one and attacks Yraine twice. He misses one attack and CRITS the other one for 24 damage.

Lerissa, Ethrielle and Karela are up!

Light-grey squares are ridges that are 20 feet up. Creatures on ridges have partial cover to ranged attacks from below. Ridges can be climbed with an Athletics check (DC 20)
Brown squares are sheer cliffs. They are impassable terrain.


pre:
Initiative Order
Init	Name	Location  HP    AC  Fort  Ref  Will   Conditions 

27 	Pyro       I10  ??/??   ??   ??   ??   ??      
21 	Mystic     D8   ??/??   ??   ??   ??   ??    
]19 	Elanis	   O5   48/48   21   16   21   15    
17      Angharad   L7   45/50   23   19   20   15     
13	Yraine	   M5   -1/44   19   18   15   19     Unconscious, Dying.
11      Pack	   G4   ??/??   ??   ??   ??   ??     Def Aura(Angharad)
11	Bomber  1  ??   ??/??   ??   ??   ??   ??  
10      Chief      F7  128/156  23   20   19   18     Slowed.
10      Lerissa    K6   31/38   22   15   20   18     
10      Ethrielle  O8   36/36   19   15   19   19      
8       Karela     O6   42/42   22   20   17   19    
	Hurri      O6   45/58   17   16   14   14    

Wahad fucked around with this message at Nov 18, 2016 around 20:35

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT RED BUFF




Karela rides up to the cliff face where the lizardman casters are perched. As soon as she's close enough, she leans back, swinging her far leg over Hurri. The mountain tribeswoman easily finds hand- and foot-holds, powering herself up the cliff face even as Hurri slows to a halt. When she reaches the top, she draws her sword dramatically, and for a second the blade catches the sun's blinding glint. In that moment, Yraine feels the sun's light cascade over her, returning some warmth to her body. "We do Mother Auri's work this morning, Yraine! As she rises, so do we!"

With those words, Karela charges the lizard in front of her. Unfortunately, fatigue slows her stride and her foe has ample time to dodge the coming blow, easily hopping to the side of her crashing blade.

Minor Action: Healing Word. Yraine can spend a healing surge and regain +1d6 HP. Yraine also gets +2 to attack rolls UEoMNT.
Move Action: Hurri moves to M8/N9. Athletics check to climb ridge: 1d20+12 = 30. I climb the ridge, emerging at M10.
Standard Action: CHARGE the Pyro (J11)! Melee attack vs. AC: 1d20+13 = 16 (miss).
Free Action: Mark the Pyro UEoMNT.


pre:
Karela Hag's Daughter   						 
HP: 42/42 (THP: )        AC:   22    Passive Insight: 12
Surges: 8/8 (V: 10)      For:  20    Passive Perception: 12
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  17    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5     	         Will: 19    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Giant

Melee Basic Attack: +12 vs. AC; 1d12+6 damage.
Crit: +1d12 damage +1d6 lightning damage.

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Thorn Strike            [ ] Heroic Effort                    [X] Form of the Fearsome Ram
Sunspray Dance          [X] Healing Word                     [ ] Resurgent Strike
Warden's Fury           [ ] Bathed in the Light                 
Warden's Grasp          [ ] Healing Strike
                        [ ] Earthgrasp Strike
                        [-] Form of the Fearsome Ram Attack

                    
Item Powers
    Lightning Weapon At-Will: Free Action: Switch between lightning and normal damage.
    Acrobat Boots At-Will: Minor Action: Stand up from prone.
[ ] Lightning Weapon Daily: Free Action: When you hit, the target and each enemy within 
    2 squares of it take 1d6 lightning.

Conditionals/Resists:
Mounted Combat: While you are riding a creature, it can make any Athletics, Acrobatics, 
Endurance, or Stealth checks using your modifier in place of its own.
Battle Cleric's Lore: When you use a cleric power to let a target spend a healing surge, 
they gain +2 to attack rolls UEoYNT.
Nature's Wrath (Hybrid): Once during your turn, as a free action, mark one adjacent enemy USoYNT.
Font of Life: Roll a saving throw at the start of your turn.
Sunspray Warrior: Gain +1 to melee and ranged attack rolls while mounted.
Reinforcing Armor: When you take damage from a melee attack, gain a +1 item bonus 
to all defenses USoYNT.

------------------------------------------------------

Hurri   						 
HP: 45/58 (THP: )        AC:   17    
                         For:  16    Passive Perception: 18
                         Ref:  14    
Speed: 8     	         Will: 14    Vision: Low-light

Melee Basic Attack: +6 vs. AC; 1d6+5 damage.
Charger: A rider with Mounted Combat gets +5 to damage rolls on charge attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



Lerissa wasn't expecting the mist to attack her, and she's even more surprised when Yraine takes the brunt of it from her. "Hey!' she says, somewhere between annoyance and anger, but she's slow to respond regardless, and her allies end up worse off. "Ugh..." When Angharad positions herself to distract the chief- and knocks him on his back-, she takes the chance to rush forward, charging at the proned chief wreathed in smoke and leaping over him, attempting to avoid his attacks and place herself behind him. When in the appropriate area, she drops her foot directly onto the creature's chest, leaving a burning imprint of her boot that seems to burn even hotter, waiting for a spark to ignite. As she bounces off the creature's chest, her boot catches the Mistwalker in the hand as she swings herself up to her feet again. Her anger seems to have lit the fire under her as she trails smoke and sparks, prepared for any retaliation.

Burning Brand Movement to go to E-8. I have partial Concealment through the movement. Once I get there, I use
Burning Brand vs Reflex: 1d20+11 22 2d8+7 18 on the Chief.
Then I use Hellfire Heart on him to cause him to take an additional 6 Damage and an additional -2 to attack rolls that include me as the target. If someone hits the Chief he takes 6 extra damage.
I also use Flurry of Blows on the Mistwalker for 5 damage, and a -2 to attack rolls that include me as a target.


pre:
Lerissa   						 
HP: 31/38 (THP: )        AC:   22    Passive Insight: 12
Surges: 6/7 (V: 9)       For:  15    Passive Perception: 17
Initiative: +7   	 Ref:  20   Action Points: 1
Speed: 6     	         Will: 18    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will
Blistering Flourish
Steel Wind  
Desert Wind Flurry of Blows

Encounter	
[ ] Light The Fire
[ ] Burning Brand
[ ] Hellfire Heart
[ ] Dark Reaping
[ ] Second Wind

Daily	
[x ] Risen Sun
[ ] Supreme Flurry

Item Powers
[ ] Fireblood Ki Focus
[ ] Robe of Contingency Cloth Armor
[ ] Spidersilk Mantle
[ ] Flame Bracers (Heroic)

Conditionals/Resists:
Resist 5 Fire
Imperious Majesty: When hitting a Creature who has not yet acted, it takes -5 to attacks against me until EoNT
Unnatural Vitality: When dropping, remain conscious and dazed, but fall unconscious if failed death saving throw.
Undead: You are considered both a Living Creature and an Undead Creature

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply