Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




"For now, Rowena, be at ease. I understand it's difficult to trust us, but I beseech you to. Answers should-will come in time."

She motions towards the others to begin searching the residence. "Look, listen, piece together what you can. And work respectfully! We owe them that much." The snug fit of her helmet has never felt so blinding, so deafening as it does now. Nothing seems amiss. Only one obvious detail really seems to strike her.

Perception (1d20+1): 5 no dice, anyone else want to try?

"Say, are these paintings your work or his? Or a collaboration? Their color is as bright as the noonday sun, yet they retain a rather...sober sense of composition. Quite lovely pieces."

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at Mar 15, 2017 around 00:34

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!


Elanis looks around the outside of the house (and from what he can see into the house) for any visual clues as to what might have happened to Howell.

Perception: 1d20+10 18

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


The paintings are a variety of landscapes and portraits; one of the most finished pieces is of Rowena herself. Another is a forest piece, some sort of clearing with a few people gathering. "They're Howell's. Painting helps him relax. When he's not out with his friends, he's usually at the brush. Says it makes him see the beauty in the world." You also spy some hints of a lumber mill painting, as well as some portraits of Arthus and other Fandian refugees. "Lately, though, he...hasn't been doing much. That forest one was his latest. After he came back from the last effort on that one, work at the mill got a lot busier, so he hasn't had as much free time."

You don't spy anything in the house - it's a little messy, what with all the paintings, but nothing unusual or suspicious there.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!




"Well, it seems we don't have much to go off of here. I feel like we should poke around the mill a bit, see what's going on there," Elanis offers.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




"Quite right. And should nothing be amiss, well, we needn't bother good Rowena any longer. We will return here with news as soon as we're able; if the trail proves far, we'll send whatever tidings we can." Angharad bows out of the house, her mind once again set on investigation.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at Mar 20, 2017 around 18:43

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Making your way to the mills isn't much of a quest; you just follow the noise. Before long you get to the riverfront, where two giant buildings rise up, saws buzzing and axes chopping like two giant mouths with hundreds of teeth. It's crowded here, with laborers hauling lumber to and fro, hoisting floating logs from the rivers onto carts that are driven to the mills to be processed into construction materials of all shapes and sizes. Besides the small Fandian contingency that works here, you also see people of all sorts of race and nationality; elves from Kelanor, goliaths from Avarre, even the occasional Gonthral dragonborn.

Elanis, Ethrielle, passive perception: Scanning the crowds, you notice two folks arguing: one, a scowling female halfling, undaunted despite the size of her conversational partner, a pleading half-orc, dressed in various animal hides, obviously trying to convince the diminutive woman of something. It's not long before he gives up after a dismissive gesture and some curt words from the halfling, though, and walks off, disappearing into the crowds. The halfling walks back towards the mill, shouting at some slacking laborers and gesturing angrily.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"Friends, I must ask.." says Yraine. "...what is a mill?"

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.




"I...uh....I have no idea." She admits. "I've never been around one before. I think they do something with wood."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!




"They use the power of water to logs into workable pieces of wood. Then they're sanded smooth to use as lumber for building, such as for houses. It's extremely taxing work, and monotonous, which is probably why there's such a huge turnover rate," Elanis explains. "Now then, let's start poking around. Perhaps we should start with the foreman?"

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




"Might be worth it to talk to that half-orc, too." She jerked her head back to point toward a retreating worker with her chin. "If there's anything useful I learned as a soldier, it's that the rank-and-file have a better idea of what's going on close to the ground and they're a lot less shy than the brass is about complaining. Anyone who wants to come with had better hurry, even I might lose them if we let them get away." Then she took off without waiting for a reply, hoping to catch the half-orc she saw speaking to the halfling (who was maybe the foreman?) before he became just another face in the crowd.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Team Elanis: You manage to make your way to the foreman's office. Well, it's only sort of an office; a well-made, mahogany desk and a filing cabinet on a raised platform overseeing the work. The halfling is working through a ledger of some sorts, making notes here and there and as you approach her, you can see the furrow in her brow and storm in her eyes. "I ain't buying what you're selling." she says, without looking up from her file, "and I'm busy. Get out."

Team Ethrielle: You take off after the half-orc, but the big crowds make it hard to track him. He seems rather light on his feet, as if he's used to avoiding obstacles and maintaining a steady pace. One thing's for sure, though; he's not headed for the lumber yard. Or any of the carpenter's shops.

Please let me know in your next post who of the elves you're following so I know who is where. Team Ethrielle, roll Perception track the half orc.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




There were very few targets which could escape Ethrielle once she set her sights on them, as long as nothing else came and distracted her. Curious, she had thought he was a worker but he was walking straight through the mill area without stopping. Clearly he was heading somewhere to have such a purposeful stride, but where? Realizing she may have seen something other than a worker dispute, she started to hang back to avoid the half-orc's notice.

Perception: 1d20+13 20
Stealth: 1d20+11 20

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



"Ah, no. We aren't selling anything." Lerissa corrects, shaking her head. "We're just looking for someone who was doing some work here, an Eladrin by the name of Howell?" she asks, starting with him since she has the most information on. "He was working here recently, right? We're very interested in when you last saw him, or if you remember him acting strange since then." she notes. "We're his friends and we're a little worried about him, and haven't been able to pin down where he is lately."

Diplomacy: 1d20+12 32

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





Yraine looks around the mill in quiet awe. "So impressive. You manage this? You must be a woman of great skill. We only seek a moment of your valuable time."

Diplomacy: 1d20+13 23

K Prime fucked around with this message at Apr 15, 2017 around 22:10

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Team Elanis: The halfling looks up, scowling - but her expression mellows into neutrality after a moment. "Aye, I do, but not all by myself. An operation of this magnitude takes many hands and heads working together." She puts down her quill and crosses her arms, studying the motley crew before her with a sharp eye. "I generally don't make it my business to inquire about my workers' problems. They come and they go. If they work, I pay them. If not, I kick them out. I have too much production going on to worry about who goes where." Her gaze turns from you to the yard floor. "Howell...he was one of the Fandians, yeah? Good workers. Honest people." Rubbing her chin, the foreman falls into a pensive silence for a moment, before turning around again. "I can't say for sure, but you might wanna ask the druids. They've come by for a while in the past week or so, preaching about how we have to stop our operations. Don't know why, really. The city's got a contract with them as old as Sharpeton itself, back when we were still a small hamlet of woodsmen. The lumberjacks clear an area of trees, send the logs to us down the river, and replant before moving on to a new area. It keeps the lumber supplies strong year-round. Been doing it that way forever, now." She shrugs. "Anyway, they talked to a few of the teams, pleading with them to lay down their tools and stop the work. Didn't say why, only that it was dangerous to continue. They talked to the Fandians too. Like the others, they didn't pay too much attention to it, but maybe Howell got it in his head to join them."

Team Ethrielle: The half-orc might be swift, but tracking him is no real challenge for an experienced ranger like Ethrielle. You move through the crowds, matching his pace, though lagging behind a little just for safety. Staying hidden, though, is not quite as easy as that. The half-orc turns a corner, and when you follow a moment later, he stands there, though there is little in the way of hostility on his face. Looking at him now, you can see that the man's skin is weathered from a lot of outdoor time, and he walks on bare feet. As he opens his mouth to speak, you can see one of his small tusks is broken, and there's a scar in the shape of a claw across his cheek. "Can I help you, young one?"

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



"Druids, hmm..." Lerissa cocks her head. If she knows of Druids she probably is more familiar with ones in the desert then the woods, but considering her adventures she would know a lot of them. "That's very peculiar that they'd change their stance like that, yes. But it isn't the first time recently that something strange has happened to cause others to change their behavior." she mumbles to herself and taps her cheek. "Thank you for this information." she says, nodding her head slowly. "We'll go have a talk with them, then, perhaps." she says. "Is there anything else you could tell us about Howell? Was his work slipping recently or similar? Habits at work can often represent problems in other areas."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"Also, has some others in your workforce become tardy these last few weeks or days?" says Yraine. "There may be a greater threat at work in this place."

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




Oh dear, this was not good. "Hiya!" she said, hoping that being disarmingly cheerful would help him forget about shadowing him. "I saw you arguing with the foreman at the mill so I thought you were a worker. You don't seem to be going to work, though, so now I don't know what to think. What were you and she talking about, if you don't mind my asking? Oh, I'm not a worker either, I'm just in the area as... well, as a favor to a friend let's say."

Diplomacy: 1d20+2 5

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Ethrielle: The half-orc stares you down for a while, his expression neutral and guarded as you ramble. There's a long moment of silence, but then he chuckles, and his face slips into a smile. "I am indeed no laborer, but my disagreement with miss Derue does regard her business. I had always thought her a reasonable woman, but...alas." He cocks his head slightly, then, studying your form for a moment. "You are one of the brave souls that thwarted the assassination a while back, are you not? 'tis a pleasure to make your acquaintance. My name is Gernot, and I am a druid of the Circle of Feldine. I was returning to my brothers and sisters in the forest, to see how we may proceed to a solution that is mutually beneficial for all parties involved." He rubs his chin pensively, still studying you with eyes that betray the alertness of an experienced warrior. "Miss Derue has not hired you to rout us, has she? That would be...unfortunate."

Others: The halfling shakes her head. "Not as far as I noticed. He simply didn't show up to work, as if he'd just decided to do otherwise. I asked where he was to the workers in his team, but they didn't know either. I thought it was odd, but I have bigger things on my mind than the well-being of a single worker. Or...a few of them." The foreman gives you a sour look. "Yeah, some others have disappeared, too. It's not too unusual, barring the fact that I generally get a heads-up if somebody decides they want to try their luck elsewhere. Howell did not give me this courtesy, and two others did not, either." She pauses to think for a moment. "That would've been...a week ago, maybe? For the others? Maybe two."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



Lerissa nods slowly. "Okay. Thanks for that information." she looks to her friends afterwards. "Maybe we should check out the druids? Unless there's something more to ask here I'm not thinking of."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!




"I agree, that may be the best course of action, Lerissa," Elanis says. Before he leaves, he turns to the foreman and says, "Say... do you have the names of the others that disappeared? It may help in our investigation."

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




Ethrielle shook her head. "We don't know much about whatever situation you have with the mills. We're actually investigating the disappearance of a few of their workers. It's weird because they didn't just stop showing up to work, they vanished like ghosts. Even their families haven't seen them. Now I know it might seem like I'm accusing you of something but as far as I know having a disagreement with local industry isn't a crime, and if it is I'm not interested in enforcing it. So please don't take this the wrong way, but have you heard anything about that?"

I might not be accusing them but I don't exactly trust them. Not like I'm catching a lie with that roll.
Insight: 1d20+6 10
Also, would I know anything about the Circle of Feldine? I've gone on patrol in the nearby wilderness so I've probably heard of them at least.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Ethrielle: Gernot's eyes remain the same; there's little you can make of his expression, whether he is telling the truth or a lie. But you know the druids of the circle even if you haven't had much business with their members. The Feldine forest which surrounds Sharpeton is their home, and the circle is dedicated to its protection and the nourishing of all that lives within. You have assisted some of their members on occasion with tracking a wounded animal or the like, but you have no real idea how many their numbers truly count; though they are not hostile to outsiders, per se, they are rather protective of their secrets. "I'm afraid I'm not sure whether I know anything about the particular disappeared, but I fear that it may tie into the reason why we are trying to get the lumber operations to temporarily cease." His expression takes a turn for the somber. "Perhaps it would be better if we showed you. Are your compatriots able to join you? I can lead you to the source of our problem - or you can meet us there, if you prefer."

Others: The foreman furrows her eyebrows, thinking for a moment. "That would be, uh...Conall and Gerard. A dwarf and a human." She shrugs. "Can't say I miss them particularly. Unlike Howell, they weren't great workers. Never quite seemed to get the hang of the saw. Wasted a lot of good wood." She gives you short descriptions of the two, then takes a seat back at her desk. "Look, I gotta finish this before the day's end. If you don't mind, I'm going to have to ask you to get on with it. And if you do, too bad, get out anyway." She starts writing again, and by all appearances seems to be done with the issue at hand.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!


Elanis leads the others out of the room. "Well, I think these druids do seem like the best lead. I'll ask around a bit about the other two workers before we head out to see them, though."


Streetwise: 1d20+8 10
I need to quit while I'm ahead behind with streetwise apparently

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





Yraine's attempt at soothing some bruised egos from Elanis' prodding goes only slightly better.

Streetwise: 1d20+11 17

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




"I think... we're gonna need to meet you there later. I don't have a way of talking to them from here, and I need to see what they found out from the foreman. But it was very nice to meet you and I hope we can work something out! Um, if that's everything I'd better get back to them; they worry about me when I run off by myself." And if they didn't, maybe they should.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Ethrielle: Gernot nods cordially. "As you wish." He gives you directions to a little clearing west of one of the forestry operations. "Some of our members are already there; there may be some you know. I shall send word of your arrival." He starts to turn around, but stops himself. "Thank you for agreeing to help us. The stalled negotiations with the lumber companies have allowed the situation to fester. Perhaps your perspective may help us find an overlooked solution." The half-orc starts walking away briskly after a final nod, his oddly quick pace taking him beyond your sight in seconds.

Others: You don't gather much, other than the fact that the workers were, in fact, not great at their job. They didn't complain, but at the same time worked sloppily at best. Still, they had some friends, who believed that both Gerard and Conall were tough enough to take care of their own, whatever they ended up doing.

You rejoin eachother a short while later, catching eachother up on the information and the path ahead seems clear. You arrange for passage aboard one of the crewboats going upriver, which travel to and fro the remote forestry plots to change crews and provide supplies. It takes a little while; the boats aren't designed for speed. So when you do finally disembark, some ways out of town, it's turned to dusk, the deep red sunlight throwing large shades over the land from the young trees which have been planted to provide future lumber. "Ho there!" Another halfling, this one a man with blonde hair and a large moustache, dressed in a half-open tunic, comes towards you. "Welcome, heroes! It's an honor to meet you." He provides an elaborate bow, then rises again with a smile. "My name is Calvin Derue, one of the foremen of this here forestry operation. I trust you're here about the druids? It's about time they sent somebody over, honestly. Fine fellows, the Circle, but they've grown incredibly obstinate recently, and refuse to listen to common sense."

You explain that you've indeed come to speak with the Circle, which seems to delight Calvin quite a bit. "Excellent! Come inside. We have stew and ale waiting and a few spare cots, if you desire. Wouldn't want to send you out there in the dark! Come, come!" He precedes you towards and into the large log hall, where you see about three dozen workers settled at tables stacked from end to end, having a hearty dinner. The stew is simple, but filling - and the ale isn't strong, but certainly plentiful. When you finally lay down to rest for the night in one of the smaller cabins arrayed around the dining area, you find that the sleeping mats are filled with hay mixed with what you think may be pine needles, providing a fresh, forest-y scent.

Morning comes to the sound of workers shouting at eachother as they prepare to go to work, horses bristling as they are reigned to carts, and the creaking of wooden carts that the lumberjacks use to head out to their prospective areas. Calvin, standing atop a stack of logs, is gesturing and speaking quickly, dividing the workers into groups for their respective work areas. Once he's done, he turns to you. "If you wish to find the druids, they're about an hour that way. Land's been recently worked over, you'll know you're there when the trees stop. We started working on removing the trunks, as usual, before they came in, drove us back and set up a perimeter. Won't let us past, not even to the areas beyond that are ready for axing. They got themselves quite a few animals - though whether they're actual animals or just more druids I can't tell, if you know what I mean." He chuckles at his own little joke. "I didn't really want to get in a fight, but I tried to press for the reason for this blockade. All I got was that we'd 'unearthed a terrible danger' but I'm not sure if that was the truth." His face turns somber as he looks off into the distance. "Look, I uh...I know that we have a deal with them, and have had one for decades - centuries. But I feel a bit like they're not trusting us, you know? If we could only talk about this, maybe we could find a solution together. But I'm not the one in charge, so they went over my head, to my sister back in Sharpeton. Knowing her, we'll never get anywhere. I can only hope you have better luck."

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




Angharad, a fragrant dusting of pine needles still gracing her armor, greets Calvin with customary good humor.

"A possible pack of wild shaped, you say? Now there'd be a sight; I always did want to parley with a deer. Or an eagle, a wolf if we're lucky. Think of how they'd bow, or read minutes, or drink the libation with hoof and talon! Simply fascinating." Though her visor remains fixed on Mr. Derue it's unlikely her mind has done the same.

"There is a chance, of course, that this 'terrible danger' is a cover story to keep prying eyes away. But if it is then 'tis a poor one. For are we not the most daring defeaters of danger in the province?" Here she turns gestures most graciously towards the party.

"I say we meet with them at once."

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




Ethrielle hated to damped Ang's spirits. "Animals and wildshapers... have a different view when it comes to negotiation. They don't learn how to drink tea or maintain good posture because they don't have time for any of that. You should find them otherwise polite, though. In their world having bad manners means someone tears out your throat. At the very least there won't be anything passive about their aggression. At least, the ones in Anseim were like that."

Hoping for a peaceful resolution but expecting trouble anyway, Ethrielle strung her bow. "Before we go, Calvin, I'm interested in hearing more about this deal you have with the druids. It might be related to what's happening now, or there could be a way to use it to resolve this issue."

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Calvin nods. "Well, if you think it'll help...Just give me a moment." He turns back to the remaining workers, hastily and efficiently dealing them up into a few more teams and sending them off. Then, he jumps back down from his improvised stage and joins you proper. "When the lumber operations first started in and around Sharpeton, our ancestors met the Circle in the forest. After some negotiations, the druids agreed to permit the continuation of work, as long as the workers moved from area to area in the forest, and aided the druids in keeping the forest thriving and safe. So we chop down a few acres, remove the stumps, plant new saplings, and then move along to the next designated area.The same goes for hunting and trapping; we are allowed to, but within limits the druids have deemed necessary to keep the animal life in the forest preserved." The halfling plucks at his moustache. "There have been times in the past where they demanded we move to another area for different reasons - young animals needing their nests, or some disease spreading through the trees - but in the spirit of the contract, we've always acquiesced to such demands. This time is quite different, however. The radius they've given us is unacceptable if we are to continue to meet demands - and they're rather...thorough in their conviction."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!




"Hm... perhaps this is obvious, but I wouldn't be so quick to pin this on the druids... if they've requested for solid reasons in the past, I fear something grave may be happening to cause such a harsh restriction," Elanis says quietly. "Perhaps striking a sympathetic tone, rather than accusatory, would be more beneficial here."

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




"Oh. How foolish of me." Ang's voice rings just a little bit hoarse in response to Ethrielle. "I'd assumed they'd have more of a...Sharpeton temperament. Seems a sort of Fandian spirit lives among these druids instead."

Her hand clasps thoughtfully upon the gorget guarding her neck. "Indeed Elanis. Our throats may be better guarded than most, but I'd say that's merely an 'in' to approach them as equals. If we don't crush theirs, they shan't slit ours. Simple reciprocity!"

"And one last request before we sally forth, Calvin. Have you any sort of map of recent operations? We may just need one to negotiate a fair settlement. I'll try my best to return it to you unstained by anything untoward."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



"Yes, after all, as we have learned so recently, the first target is not always the most direct one." Lerissa notes, nodding along. "Peaceful means are always best, especially in this case; to turn a cold shoulder or a raised fist in response to a single incident would speak poorly of all involved. The hand of peace should always be first offered..I'll have to make sure not to do anything unnecessary..." she notes quietly to herself, for her own benefit. "Let us get this map and be on our way then." She says with a little bit of energy at the edges of her voice.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"A map?" Calvin furrows his brow. "Well, I have one, but I can't spare it; it's my only copy, and I need it to oversee operations. But perhaps I can give you a crude copy. Follow me." He leads you to one of the smaller cabins - his office, apparently. The inside is cramped with a large desk and various cabinets, and you're forced to wait outside before you break something just from crowding the place. But the halfling emerges soon enough with a hastily-scrawled map, apparently drawn with a piece of charcoal; there's a few smudges here and there. "Okay, so, if this is the river here, then we're over here..." He launches into a quick explanation of the area; even with the lack of detail on the map, you've got enough of a sense of direction of the surrounding area, and it's the first time you get a sense for how truly massive in scope this operation is. There's at least twenty different sections of the forest, in various stages of being processed, and if the scale is anything to guess by, they're all at least a few acres wide. Marked with a big X, slightly to the west of where you are is the area that the druids have apparently blocked off. Handing the map to you, Calvin gives you an apologetic smile. "I hope it's enough - I was never much of an artist."

With the map in hand, you decide to head into the forest. The trek is pleasantly relaxed; even at a brisk pace, the forest is easy to traverse with Ethrielle leading the way and the weather is rather nice. It's about an hour in where you've truly left civilization behind; the lumberjacks seem to have taken to avoiding this area altogether since the contention with the druids, and all you can hear is the sound of the breeze through the leaves and the birds singing. You realize after a while you're being flanked at a slight distance by a pack of wolves. They slip through the forest quietly, but otherwise make no real effort to keep themselves hidden while they watch you. When you stop, they do too, and they match your pace as you continue onwards. However, they don't seem to be interested in attacking you - their posture is relaxed and neutral, and they keep their watchful eye without so much as a growl.

You move around a particularly large bush, and you can see the edge of the forested area up ahead, where the trees stop growing and sunlight comes through. You're also suddenly met with three people, barefoot and fur-clad just like the half-orc in the city, seemingly having appeared from thin air. One is a half-elf woman, tall and powerfully built with an array of feathers woven through her jet-black hair. The two others seem to be halfway stuck between man and beast; bipedal, slender forms that nonetheless display bestial features like razor claws at the ends of their fingers and a smile that displays large canine teeth; moreover, they seem to be identical twins of some sort, the only real distinguishing feature being that one wears a necklace of small bones and the other one doesn't.

"Hail, heroes," the woman says, her tone formal and distant, "Be welcomed by the Circle of Feldine, but know also that if you are to display hostile intent, you will be repaid in kind." She gives you a small bow, though she keeps her eyes on you at all times. "My name is Alvena. Gernot has sent word of your coming, and asked me to be your liaison in this matter." The half-elf takes a slow, measured breath, as her eyes focus on each of you in turn. "In truth, I cannot say I am glad for your presence. I had hoped to keep this matter within the Circle - it is not our way to involve outsiders in such dire concerns."

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



Lerissa enjoys nature walks, despite the fact she is doing her best to make sure she doesn't burn anything down while she walks, and she keeps her hands off the plant life, even the pretty flowers, just in case. It's a relaxing enough walk that calms her inner spirit and makes her feel better as the group moves on. The wolves keep her wary, but she doesn't let them set her off, and tries her best to ignore them as much as possible.

When the druids finally appear, she also bows to the woman. "Greetings, lady Alvena. I am Lerissa." she says, introducing herself and letting the others do the same. "I'm sorry for us sticking our noses into places that you think they may not belong, but that is somewhat the part of being a hero in the first place. We do only wish to help, after all"

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!




Elanis continues where she left off. "We mean no harm, we simply wish to resolve whatever is troubling the town of Sharpton," he says before adding, "And you, if you'll allow us. People seem to be disappearing from the lumber mill in town... have similar things been happening to members of your order?" he asks.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




Angharad hums a medley of tavern tunes when their "escort" of wolves passes by. After all, they're plainly relaxed, so she may as well express the same. She knows the bright polish of her encasement probably stood out to them a mile away; no use for over-serious silence now. Falling leaves flutter on her plate harness, briefly stuck until the wind blows them free.

She looks over the two partially-transformed with a rather physiological interest (fortunately her eyes are concealed) before chiming in.

"We, likewise, would not burden your court unless we had great concerns of our own. As good Elanis here has stated, folk from our lands have gone missing. An age-old friend of mine among them, who I swore to protect a century and more before I came here." Here she gently lays her great hammer upon the soil.

"I promise you that this is no mere lumber dispute for us. We will surely grant our aid in your trouble, if you will simply consider ours!"

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


"Aye, I know of your intent." Alvena sighs. "Follow me. It is best if I show you." She turns, and precedes you further into the clearing. The two beastmen flank out and fall back, walking a small distance alongside you, while the wolves set in their pursuit a moment later and come up to follow you from behind. "A few weeks ago, when the lumberjacks cleared this area, we felt a disturbance in the harmony of the forest. As we moved in to investigate, we found that the workers had unearthed a small piece of an ancient elven ruin, a cornerstone of the entrance." As the last of the trees pass, you see a few acres of grass and underbrush, littered with stumps. Alvena leads your little procession further west, and as you look around, you see a multitude of druids surrounding the clearing; talking with eachother, or simply silently watching you. "We moved in to contain the situation; we knew not what forgotten dangers lurked within, but whatever it was, we needed time to investigate; so we did what we thought best. Closed the area off with as little information as possible to discourage fools seeking treasure. As our diplomats have been trying to get the lumber operations to back off to give us time, our sages have been attempting to divine the nature of what lurks within. To little success so far, I'm afraid."

She halts in front of a small crater, dug out hastily in the soil; inside, you see root-covered stonework, worn from centuries of being buried in the soil, but still standing, more or less. Ancient Elven script, half-erased from the teeth of time, marks the curved top of the doorway, and the soil has been dug away enough to allow a crawlspace into the ruin itself. Alvena turns around with a scowl on her face. "Your missing people are inside. Whether they are still alive or not, I cannot say; but they have managed to evade some of our lesser experienced members by sight and smell through means unknown to us. We know they have passed through the area, but not how." Her scowl deepens. "We already have lost five of our own inside that damned place, when they went to investigate. But we have not heard from them since."

Those of you that study the ancient writing for a moment can't quite make out what it says; the script is old, and the language of ancient Elven is rather different from the Elven you are familiar with. However, you recognize a few words, even in that old tongue; "sealed" and "danger."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"What foolishness. Who told them to journey into a forbidden ruin without more care?" Yraine's face is a frown of concern. "We must retrieve them before the worst comes to pass... or, at least give closure to their families and friends."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




Ethrielle squinted and tried to look further into the cave entrance. She strung her bow with a sigh. "Adventurers for hire, meet suspicious hole in the ground. Hate to say it but I think our crew are the best people to handle this. What do you say, gang? Ready for a search and rescue mission?"

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«9 »