Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
  • Locked thread
K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"TAKE HEART, MY FRIENDS! FOR I AM HERE!"

Yraine skirts the edge of the pit, and a wave of frantic energy floods into both beleaguered combatants. bringing them back to their feet.

"Let us end this!"

Move: C8
Standard: Second Wind, allowing Lerrisa to Second Wind for free, as well as gain 5 THP
Minor: Ardent Surge on Angy. Ardent Surge: 1d6 6 + surge.

pre:
Yraine   						 
HP: 44/44 (THP: )        AC:   19    Passive Insight: 15
Surges:  9/10 (V:11)    For:  18    Passive Perception: 13
Initiative: +4   	 Ref:  15    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5    	         Will: 19    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Draconic
Power Points: 5/5

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Energizing Strike       [ ] Adept's Insight                  [ ] Implanted Suggestion
Demoralizing Strike     [ ] Eldritch Strike                  
Ire Strike              [X][ ] Ardent Surge     
                        [ ] Ardent Alacrity
                        [X] Second Wind
                        [ ] Battle Awareness    
                        [ ] Sympathetic Agony

Item Powers
Casque of Tactics [ ]
Staggering Alhulak [ ]
Quicksilver Chainmail [ ]

Conditionals/Resists:
Flail Expertise: Choose to knock enemies prone instead of sliding.
Bolstering Surge: When I spend a healing surge, ally within my mantle gets 5 THP or saves
Wind of Sympathy: Ally in Mantle can use second wind when I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Knowing the two in front of it are near death, the remaining hound pounces on Lerissa, biting into her leg!



Hound 1 moves to B5 and attacks Lerissa, hitting for 12 damage!

pre:
Initiative Order
Init	Name	Location  HP    AC  Fort  Ref  Will   Conditions 

27      GuardHound C5   59/80   23   19   20   18     Aura 2, Insubstantial.
24 	Elanis	   K5   29/48   21   16   21   15     
24	Yraine	   C8   44/44   19   18   15   19     
23      Hound 1    B5   45/54   18   16   18   15     Def. Aura (Angharad)
23      Hound 2    K6   00/54   18   16   18   15     Dead
23      Hound 3    K10  00/54   18   16   18   15     Dead
23      Hound 4    H9   00/54   18   16   18   15     Dead
21      Archer     A5   42/57   18   18   18   17     Dead
17      Angharad   A6   18/50   23   19   20   15     Bloodied, prone, slowed, cursed.
15	Lerissa    B6    5/38   22   15   20   18     Bloodied, Slowed, Cursed
14      Ethrielle  L7   28/36   19   15   19   19    
Angharad, Lerissa, and Ethrielle are up!

Blue squares are a pit 15ft deep. Climbing out of the pit takes a DC20 Athletics.
The room is brightly lit to thanks to Elanis' thrown sun-rod.
The Guard Hound has an Aura 2. If you spend a healing surge while in the Aura, you are slowed UEOYNT. It is marked by the red line.
Yraine's mantle is marked by the yellow line.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...





Waves of energy throw a still-unconscious Angharad onto her feet . Curiously, right before she wakes, she sees an impression of chessboards and an exasperated skeletal figure. This passes with the false-dawn still shining around her.

"Yraine, you have my eternal gratitude!"

Her shield, too, seems to have returned to life. It grows blurred and rapidly blinks in-and-out of sight, until Angharad gives it a stout rap with her fist. Thus chastised, the blurring radiates outward and envelops monk and knight in a smoky static-y aura.

"Let's see your jowls bite through this!" And, quieter: "Lerissa, here we stand together 'gainst this tide of troubles. Hold fast."

Move: Stand Up
Minor: Glowering Threat, remaining hounds have -5 to attack things that aren't me
Standard: using Shield of Protection daily, Lerissa and I get resist 10 all until EoMNT

pre:
Stalwart Angharad   						 
HP:  18/50 (THP: )        AC:   23    Passive Insight: 11
Surges: 11/12 (V: 12)    For:  19    Passive Perception: 11
Initiative: +6   	 Ref:  20    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5     	         Will: 15    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Feywild Guardian         [x] Glowering Threat                     
Glimmering Blade         [x][ ] Power Strike                   
Defend the Line          [x] Fey Step        
Defender Aura            [x] Second Wind
                         [x] Disciplined Counter
                         
                    
Item Powers
[x]Plate Armor of Dwarven Vigor
[x]Shield of Protection

Conditionals/Resists:
Bludgeon Expertise: +1 to sq. to push and slide attacks with hammer and mace
Vicious Advantage: Gain CA against slowed or immobilized targets
World Serpent's Grasp: Knock slowed or immobilized targets prone on hit
Badge of the Berserker: When you charge, your movement made as part of the charge doesn't provoke Opportunity Attacks.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



"I'm...okay. Enough." she says, leaning on her good leg and breathing heavily as Angharad returns to her own feet. "I'll live, at least. At least currently." The repeated assaults are getting to her, and her fire is tinged crimson as she uses her tail as a balance, swinging a bleeding, burning leg at the Guarddog, a blistering blow intent to knock some of it's teeth from it's mouth. She lets her momentum carry her foot into the other beast, and then swings back to smash the first beast again to try and beat them back, sending splatters of blood across the stone with each kick.

Light the Fire on Hound 1 Light the Fire vs Reflex: 1d20+11 26 2d8+7 17. I'll pop Hellfire Heart on the Hound 1, dealing 6 damage to it and applying a -2 penalty to all attacks that include me as a target until the start of my next turn. Then I'll use Flurry of Blows for 5 damage on the Guardhound, which, since it wasn't targeted by the triggering attack, it also takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that includes me, but until the end of my next turn instead of the start. Additionally, starting their turns next to me makes them take 5 Fire Damage.


pre:
Lerissa   						 
HP: 5/38 (THP: )         AC:   22    Passive Insight: 12
Surges: 7/7 (V: 9)       For:  15    Passive Perception: 17
Initiative: +7   	  Ref:  20    Action Points: 0
Speed: 6     	          Will: 18    Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will			      Encounter			             Daily
Blistering Flourish            [] Light the Fire               [] Risen Sun
Steel Wind                    [X] Burning Brand                [] Supreme Flurry
Flurry of Blows               [] Hellfire Heart             
                               [X] Dark Reaping
                               [] Second Wind
                            
Item Powers
[ ] Fireblood Ki Focus
[ ] Robe of Contingency Cloth Armor
[ ] Spidersilk Mantle
[ ] Flame Bracers (Heroic)

Conditionals/Resists:
Resist 5 Fire
Imperious Majesty: When hitting a Creature who has not yet acted, it takes -5 to attacks against me until EoNT
Unnatural Vitality: When dropping, remain conscious and dazed, but fall unconscious if failed death saving throw.
Undead: You are considered both a Living Creature and an Undead Creature

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




"Thanks Elanis! Let's wrap this up!" She moved to a better position and let loose two arrows, catching the dog in the neck to bring it down for good.

Move: to F1
Minor: Hunter's Quarry on Hound 1
Standard:Twin Strike vs AC: 2#1d20+10 30 16 2#1d12+5 11 16 1d6 1 CRIT!
First hit does 23 damage before rolling any crit dice, he dead.


pre:
Ethrielle Syvan   						 
HP: 28/36 (THP: )        AC:   19    Passive Insight: 16
Surges: 7/7 (V: 9)       For:  15    Passive Perception: 23
Initiative: +6   	 Ref:  19    Action Points: 1
Speed: 7     	         Will: 19    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven
Saving Throw bonuses: +2 to slow, immobilize, or restrain
Status: Normal

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Twin Strike             [X] Elven Accuracy                   [ ] Silent Malediction
Grasping Shards         [ ] Second Wind                   
Hunter's Quarry         [ ] Action Point
			[X] Whispers of Defeat        
			[X] Seeker of Illefarn
                        [ ] Invigorating Stride
                        [X] Disruptive Strike
                    
Item Powers
[ ] Greatbow of Frost (D)
[ ] Gloves of Piercing (D)
[ ] Shadowdance Leather Armor (D)
[ ] Boots of Free Movement (E)

Conditionals/Resists:
Manifestation of Malediction: When you hit with an Invoker encounter or daily, you may
	push one target you hit 1 square after the effect is resolved.
Reactive Stealth: If you have cover or concealment when you roll initiative, you may 
	make a Stealth check to hide at the same time.
Wild Step: You ignore difficult terrain when you shift.
Shadowdance Leather Armor: Ranged and area attacks do not provoke opportunity attacks.
Cloak of Distortion: You get a +1 bonus to all defenses vs. ranged attacks from 5 
	or more squares away.
Frost Greatbow: Unless otherwise explicitly stated, all weapon attacks performed through
	the Frost Greatbow deal cold damage and gain the damage bonus from Silvery Glow.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Though the only one standing, the large, slavering creature refuses to back down, lunging at Angharad with a mean bite.



The Guard Hound shifts to B5, then attacks Angharad, dealing 6 damage thanks to her resist.

pre:
Initiative Order
Init	Name	Location  HP    AC  Fort  Ref  Will   Conditions 

27      GuardHound B5   55/80   23   19   20   18     Aura 2, Insubstantial.
24 	Elanis	   K5   29/48   21   16   21   15     
24	Yraine	   C8   44/44   19   18   15   19     
23      Hound 1    B5   45/54   18   16   18   15     Dead
23      Hound 2    K6   00/54   18   16   18   15     Dead
23      Hound 3    K10  00/54   18   16   18   15     Dead
23      Hound 4    H9   00/54   18   16   18   15     Dead
21      Archer     A5   42/57   18   18   18   17     Dead
17      Angharad   A6   12/50   23   19   20   15     Bloodied, slowed, cursed.
15	Lerissa    B6    5/38   22   15   20   18     Bloodied, Slowed, Cursed
14      Ethrielle  F1   28/36   19   15   19   19    
Everyone is up!

Blue squares are a pit 15ft deep. Climbing out of the pit takes a DC20 Athletics.
The room is brightly lit to thanks to Elanis' thrown sun-rod.
The Guard Hound has an Aura 2. If you spend a healing surge while in the Aura, you are slowed UEOYNT. It is marked by the red line.
Yraine's mantle is marked by the yellow line.

Wahad fucked around with this message at Aug 9, 2017 around 18:42

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"Avaunt, spirit! You have no strength to resist our power!" shouts Yraine, striking the hound with a mighty blow that brings Lerissa back to her feet once more.

Move: C6
Standard: Aug 2 Energizing strike Energizing Strike vs AC: 1d20+11 28 2d8+6 17
Angaharad may spend a healing surge.
Minor: Ardent Surge on Lerissa: Healing surge + Ardent Surge: 1d6 1


pre:
Yraine   						 
HP: 44/44 (THP: )        AC:   19    Passive Insight: 15
Surges:  9/10 (V:11)    For:  18    Passive Perception: 13
Initiative: +4   	 Ref:  15    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5    	         Will: 19    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Draconic
Power Points: 3/5

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Energizing Strike       [ ] Adept's Insight                  [ ] Implanted Suggestion
Demoralizing Strike     [ ] Eldritch Strike                  
Ire Strike              [X][X] Ardent Surge     
                        [ ] Ardent Alacrity
                        [X] Second Wind
                        [ ] Battle Awareness    
                        [ ] Sympathetic Agony

Item Powers
Casque of Tactics [ ]
Staggering Alhulak [ ]
Quicksilver Chainmail [ ]

Conditionals/Resists:
Flail Expertise: Choose to knock enemies prone instead of sliding.
Bolstering Surge: When I spend a healing surge, ally within my mantle gets 5 THP or saves
Wind of Sympathy: Ally in Mantle can use second wind when I do

K Prime fucked around with this message at Aug 6, 2017 around 14:53

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




Only one left. She hoped to take it down quickly, but her arrows seemed to have little effect...

Minor: Hunter's Quarry on GuardHound.
Standard: Twin Strike.
Twin Strike vs AC: 1d20+10 14 1d12+5 11 1d6 5 Miss.
Twin Strike vs AC: 1d20+10 29 1d12+5 12 1d6 1 Hit for 6 damage after insubstantial.


pre:
Ethrielle Syvan   						 
HP: 28/36 (THP: )        AC:   19    Passive Insight: 16
Surges: 7/7 (V: 9)       For:  15    Passive Perception: 23
Initiative: +6   	 Ref:  19    Action Points: 1
Speed: 7     	         Will: 19    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven
Saving Throw bonuses: +2 to slow, immobilize, or restrain
Status: Normal

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Twin Strike             [X] Elven Accuracy                   [ ] Silent Malediction
Grasping Shards         [ ] Second Wind                   
Hunter's Quarry         [ ] Action Point
			[X] Whispers of Defeat        
			[X] Seeker of Illefarn
                        [ ] Invigorating Stride
                        [X] Disruptive Strike
                    
Item Powers
[ ] Greatbow of Frost (D)
[ ] Gloves of Piercing (D)
[ ] Shadowdance Leather Armor (D)
[ ] Boots of Free Movement (E)

Conditionals/Resists:
Manifestation of Malediction: When you hit with an Invoker encounter or daily, you may
	push one target you hit 1 square after the effect is resolved.
Reactive Stealth: If you have cover or concealment when you roll initiative, you may 
	make a Stealth check to hide at the same time.
Wild Step: You ignore difficult terrain when you shift.
Shadowdance Leather Armor: Ranged and area attacks do not provoke opportunity attacks.
Cloak of Distortion: You get a +1 bonus to all defenses vs. ranged attacks from 5 
	or more squares away.
Frost Greatbow: Unless otherwise explicitly stated, all weapon attacks performed through
	the Frost Greatbow deal cold damage and gain the damage bonus from Silvery Glow.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!



Elanis Dressant [sheet]

"Any time!" Elanis responds before running around the ring of the pit. He charges straight at the hound, thrusting his daggers into its back with full force. He seems to have found a weak point, and he twists his blades while they're inside for maximum damage.

Move: to E2
Standard: Charge to C4 Melee Basic Attack vs AC: 1d20+13+1+2 36 1d4+4+2d8+2+1 [b]18[/b] CRIT 21 + Critical Damage: 1d6 4 = 25 (before insubstantial)

pre:
Elanis Dressant   						 
HP: 29/48 (THP: )		AC:  21			Passive Insight: 13
Surges: 4/6 (V: 12)		Fort: 16		Passive Perception: 20
Initiative: +7			Ref:  21		Action Points: 1
Speed: 7			Will: 15		Vision: low-light
Languages: Common, Elven

Basic Attacks
MBA (Dagger): +13; 1d4+4
RBA (Dagger): +13; 1d4+7

At-Will				Encounter			Daily
Piercing Strike			[ ] Action Point		[x] Press the Advantage
Clever Strike			[ ] Second Wind
				[ ] Elven Accuracy                   	
				[ ] Disciplined Counter        
				[ ] Dazing Strike
				[ ] Tumble
				[x] Low Slash
                    
Item Powers
[ ] Gloaming Leather Armor (Encounter)
[ ] Gloves of Piercing (Daily)

Conditionals/Resists
Reactive Stealth: Can make Stealth check to hide if I have cover or
		concealment when rolling initiative 
Light Blade Expertise: +1 to damage when attacking with CA
Brutal Scoundrel: Add Str mod to Sneak Attack damage
Backstabber: Sneak Attack dice are d8s

Look Around You fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2017 around 00:14

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



Lerissa swings her leg around at the dog with a blistering bolt of fire, but her swing goes wide as the dog ducks, and then a ringing pain assaults her head. "Ow!?" She seems confused at whatever just happened, reflexively grabbing at her ears

Blistering Flourish vs Reflex: 1d20+11 18 1d8+7 12 Misses, so I take 3 damage due to the curse.


pre:
Lerissa   						 
HP: 10/38 (THP: )         AC:   22    Passive Insight: 12
Surges: 7/7 (V: 9)       For:  15    Passive Perception: 17
Initiative: +7   	  Ref:  20    Action Points: 0
Speed: 6     	          Will: 18    Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will			      Encounter			             Daily
Blistering Flourish            [X] Light the Fire               [] Risen Sun
Steel Wind                    [X] Burning Brand                [] Supreme Flurry
Flurry of Blows               [X] Hellfire Heart             
                               [X] Dark Reaping
                               [] Second Wind
                            
Item Powers
[ ] Fireblood Ki Focus
[ ] Robe of Contingency Cloth Armor
[ ] Spidersilk Mantle
[ ] Flame Bracers (Heroic)

Conditionals/Resists:
Resist 5 Fire
Imperious Majesty: When hitting a Creature who has not yet acted, it takes -5 to attacks against me until EoNT
Unnatural Vitality: When dropping, remain conscious and dazed, but fall unconscious if failed death saving throw.
Undead: You are considered both a Living Creature and an Undead Creature

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




"<<Rest now, hound. Each of us fights by an unbreakable oath to defend; mere fortune, perhaps, has brought us together this day. Curse me if you must, tomb-guard. But know that you and your master have fought well. Know that your thousands-year duty is fulfilled. May this last battle send you off!>>"

Angharad, momentarily entranced, pieces fragments of half-remembered funeral script into a message for her besieged opponent. The ancient elven flows out with unusually perfect meter; perhaps her return to life has brought her some clarity.

And so the knight raises Gramd to the unseen skies above, raining a terrific blow down upon the hound's neck.


History for Ancient Elven (1d20+13): 33 Critical Success?

Minor: Switch to Defend the Line stance
Standard: MBA vs GuardHound (1d20+13): 24, with power strike for 12 raw damage, Slowed until EoMNT

pre:
Stalwart Angharad   						 
HP:  24/50 (THP: )        AC:   23    Passive Insight: 11
Surges: 9/12 (V: 12)    For:  19    Passive Perception: 11
Initiative: +6   	 Ref:  20    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5     	         Will: 15    Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Feywild Guardian         [x] Glowering Threat                     
Glimmering Blade         [x][x] Power Strike                   
Defend the Line          [x] Fey Step        
Defender Aura            [x] Second Wind
                         [x] Disciplined Counter
                         
                    
Item Powers
[x]Plate Armor of Dwarven Vigor
[x]Shield of Protection

Conditionals/Resists:
Bludgeon Expertise: +1 to sq. to push and slide attacks with hammer and mace
Vicious Advantage: Gain CA against slowed or immobilized targets
World Serpent's Grasp: Knock slowed or immobilized targets prone on hit
Badge of the Berserker: When you charge, your movement made as part of the charge doesn't provoke Opportunity Attacks.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


The spirit of the hound gets one final bite in, defiant to the end as his teeth fail again to penetrate Angharad's armor - but a combined assault brings it down for good, allowing the phantom to drift into the hereafter. You are left panting and bloody in the room, the light of the still-burning sun-rod casting harsh shadows. Before you, there's a closed door, though a quick nudge tells you that it isn't locked or trapped. Looking around, there doesn't seem to be any trace of either Howell or his compatriots; but as you turn your gaze into the pit of the former fountain (something you failed to do before, given the immediate threat of the lingering spirits), you see a few bodies - four druids in total, their fur-dressed corpses bloodied and mauled by the hounds. They have been tossed there unceremoniously, but it is clear what happened - they tried to fight their way past, as you did, and lost.

An inspection of the ground reveals that the archer left something behind after his death; a small, elegant circlet, made from mother of pearl, sporting a thumb-sized opal in the center that shimmers in the light. Touching it, Yraine immediately recognizes a psionic resonance in the item, thanks to her familiarity with the subject. Meanwhile, studying the walls, you can finally see some detail in the mosaics that adorn it. You see pictures of legions of elves, fighting against an enormous dragon of some sort, though you don't recognize the type. In the skies, a depiction of Labelas seems to aid the legions. The next image sees a priest of some sort, engaged with what can only be a devil - a creature not too dissimilar from Lerissa, though its red skin and horned visage are much more pronounced than her own. The two of them are bowed over some sort of game of cards - though the next image shows the priest victorious, and the devil is chained, while a bunch of rag-tag looking elves are being freed of their own bonds. The priest, you notice, also carries a similar amulet that the statues in the previous room bore.

You find a Pileus Helm!

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You're just lucky my jaw is broken!



Elanis Dressant

After he tends to his wounds, Elanis walks over and picks up the sunrod, handing it to Yraine. "I feel like these may be important going forward, but it's a little hard for me to sneak around while holding one!" he says with a smile. "This has to be some sort of holy place for these elves. We would do well to avoid collateral damage as much as possible... we should also take note of the druids here, so that their brethren can afford them their proper last rites." He walks the walls to appreciate the elven artwork, and takes a note of the amulet reappearing. "We may want be on the lookout for that amulet that's showing up in all of their art." He approaches the door, crouching low to the side, ready to swing it open. "Anyway, let me know when you guys are ready too so we can get going!"

Spending 2 surges to full, should leave me at 4/6 since i didn't update my surge count after our last long rest

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




"Ohoho, what a gambit!"

Angharad, heedless of her wounds and the grimness of her surroundings, grows absorbed in the story of the clever priest.

"The poor devil won't try their luck like that again. Not for a good many decades at least, and pity on the folks who'd put up with their Infernal excuses over the loss. Thus always with sore gamblers... " Here she casts a curious glance, her helm askance, at the rest of the party. "You don't suppose they're what's sealed in here do you?"

using two surges to 48 now at 7

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at Aug 13, 2017 around 23:55

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.




Lerissa rubs her forehead, still feeling strange and unwell even after the fight finishes, gritting her teeth and swishing her tail. "I feel like I just got done drinking. But I don't drink." she mumbles as she follows Elanis' lead in going over the wall, though she stops at the demonic figure and touches it with her fingers. "...Apparently he's as bad at Chess Boxing as I am...must run in the family." She offers in the best attempt of a joke she can muster, though she pretty clearly has no idea what connection- if any- she has to the demon creature. "...I suppose it's possible they're locked in here, but would that explain the spirits and ruins becoming more active? Possibly if someone disturbed them, I suppose."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"Our foes defeated- we have won, my friends!" says Yraine, eyes shining. "I am ready for any foes that dare come against us!"

She coughs, noticing the mood. "Ahem. I think someone has hired our missing friends as grave robbers. We must see if they can be rescued- and punish those who lured them into this foolishness."

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


You pass through the door to the next room. Light spills from the sunrods, filling the space into a circular room with a dome-like ceiling filled with once-colorful tiles in all manner of patterns. No mosaics adorn the walls; in fact what little writing you can make out on the wall and floor seems to be functional more than informational; magical runes of some sort. In the dead center of the room, your eyes fall upon an elf. Unlike your previous host, this one is corporeal, though they are old and fragile looking. Their skin is pale, a big contrast with their black-and-gold robes, and a tattoo of a tree adorns their forehead. They are sitting cross-legged in some form of meditation, perhaps, their eyes closed and breathing steadily, if slowly. But notably, they are not touching the ground, instead levitating about three feet in the air.



"Salutations, seekers." The elf's eyes do not open, and their voice sounds faint, as if they have trouble speaking, and their Common is heavily accented. "Forgive an old one a rudeness of not meeting thy gaze. I have spent so long in the dark, I'm afraid thy radiance would burn mine eyes." As you watch, you see a shimmer in the air, about a foot or two in front of the floating elf. Some sort of magical field, perhaps? The room seems to be empty but for the one you face; there are no statues, no hound spirits...and still no sight of your quarry, either. "What is thy purpose here?"

Wahad fucked around with this message at Aug 16, 2017 around 13:08

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




"I well understand the need to protect one's eyes, consider all forgiven!"

Angharad resists the instinct to raise her guard and adopts a more relaxed demeanor. This tomb-resident does not seem like the last.

"Ahem, our purpose is to retrieve those who have been lost, good elder. For we are responsible for the safety of many people in our sunlit world. But it seems that some in our charge have been drawn into this fine abode of yours."

She nods to Yraine for her deduction. "It is the work of villains luring in honest folk, with wicked words for wicked ends! Rest assured that their foul deeds will meet this hammer of justice, and their poor victims will be brought back among us."

Gramd taps the stone below and emits a soft, yet commanding echo. "Have any surfacers like ourselves passed by lately? Likely wreathed in shadow, not as talkative as ourselves?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


The old elf hums ponderously. "Aye, others have come before, not so long ago. They spoke the old tongue, and bore the mark of the Sage at Sunset with them. They passed further, without trouble." There is a hint of mirth in the elder's voice as he continues. "Thou, however, do not. Thy passage is therefore obstructed. I wonder then, if thy claim of justice is true. For what is justice, really, when law is merely the writ of those with power? I heard thy cries of battle; the first guardians of this place have been batted aside by force, where they merely stood down for those with the mark, as was always intended. Others attempted this before. Only thou succeeded. Therefore, I can conclude thou bear power, and bear it well - but that alone is not enough to pass, in this place."

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




"Law, the writ of those with power? Hmph, such a wretched law does live in our lands as well; it cared not a whit for those taken here, asked not whether they lived or died. For those missing were humble folk with little to offer it. Yet they deserve justice and protection in equal measure, do they not!?"

"I serve no such shallow law, if that is your worry." Her own words now lighten with an air of amusement. "You appear to be a conscientious sort of fellow. I would speak to you of this Sage of Sunset."

"A clever man, an admirable one, who risked himself to save his folk from their chains. All while he could have remained content in his own freedom. I would say his worth lies in his selflessness and courage, not in power or treasure. Why then is his Mark an amulet, a symbol which itself may be seized by power?"

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


The elder chuckles. "It has been a long time indeed since I conversed with someone, much less one of wit. Please, seekers, dim thy lights for a moment, so that I may look on thee. I wish to see who challenges Labelas' walls with so noble intent." A pale blue flame appears in the elf's open hand - a simple magical trick. The fire is much less bright than your sunrods, but it should still suffice to give you vision around the room.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"Il'faith, even if this is a trick, we are prepared to face it, friends," says Yraine. "We should give him the benefit of the doubt." Yraine breathes, and the mantle of power around her dims and fades.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



"I suppose that's fair." Lerissa says, dumping what light she has and pulling her hood up to cover any unnecessary brightness she may be extruding; not enough to hide her face or stifle what she is but enough to make sure she isn't awkwardly glowing or anything like that. She is curious at what's going on, interested in seeing if something will occur at her features versus the features of the creature on the wall, but not enough, or not worried enough, to attempt to hide what she is; holding her thoughts until she gets more information.


spending 3 surges to get to 37. putting the full sheet here so I can copy it later.

pre:
Lerissa   						 
HP: 37/38 (THP: )         AC:   22    Passive Insight: 12
Surges: 2/7 (V: 9)       For:  15    Passive Perception: 17
Initiative: +7   	  Ref:  20    Action Points: 0
Speed: 6     	          Will: 18    Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Elven

At Will			      Encounter			             Daily
Blistering Flourish            [] Light the Fire               [] Risen Sun
Steel Wind                    [] Burning Brand                [] Supreme Flurry
Flurry of Blows               [] Hellfire Heart             
                               [] Dark Reaping
                               [] Second Wind
                            
Item Powers
[ ] Fireblood Ki Focus
[ ] Robe of Contingency Cloth Armor
[ ] Spidersilk Mantle
[] Flame Bracers (Heroic)

Conditionals/Resists:
Resist 5 Fire
Imperious Majesty: When hitting a Creature who has not yet acted, it takes -5 to attacks against me until EoNT
Unnatural Vitality: When dropping, remain conscious and dazed, but fall unconscious if failed death saving throw.
Undead: You are considered both a Living Creature and an Undead Creature

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


As the light from your various sources dims slowly, the pale blue glow takes over and suffuses the room. Harsh shadows are cast, though they flicker and shift without end, agitated by the volatile nature of the flame in the elder's hand. The elf opens his eyes, and gives you a smile; though there is little warmth behind the expression. "Good, good. Now, let us talk. Your path is blocked, and you require passage. You may find it, if you are worthy. Call me Aegrandir, if you must use a name; it is as good as any." You notice that the runes inscribed around the room seem to reflect the light somewhat now that it isn't as bright, giving you a more accurate depiction of them; they run the room in a spider-web pattern, centering on the levitating elf in the middle of the room. "Let us see if your insight is as sharp as your sense of heroism, shall we?"

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




Arcana to recall runes (1d20+13): 15 no dice

Angharad wracks her brain, hemming and hawing as the runes' patterns elude her. "A spell of Death...Raccoon? Positively adorable, but unlikely. The repeated phrase there, radiating above where Elanis is standing, could be a word of power: <<'bleach', 'pinch', 'belch'>>...?"

Her helm hangs down loosely before admitting defeat. "Alas, twill be a good while yet before I can crack this riddle open. Perhaps an appeal to Sehanine may help us in the interim-" nodding to the follower of the goddess of mysteries present "-or any good old-fashioned look over, really."

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




"Well, Sehanine does keep many secrets..." Especially from her own followers, she decided not to say. She took a look at the patterns of runes; if Ang could not decipher their precise meaning then Ethrielle had no chance at all, but perhaps she could find something out of place among the symbols. Something that might give a hint as to what kind of puzzle this was...

Perception: 1d20+13 21

Also, spending a surge to top off my HP.

TheArchimage fucked around with this message at Sep 3, 2017 around 03:59

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



Lerissa puts her hand to her head and tries to puzzle out the runes, staring over them, but the terrible secret is that for a princess she was always more interested in practicing her combat then doing her lessons- perhaps that's why they sent her to the monastery in the first place-, and she scratches her head and shrugs with a hint of embarrassment. "I...am totally lost." she admits.

Arcana: 1d20+2 10

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Aegrandir watches you with some amusement in his old eyes, though he says nothing. While Angharad and Lerissa wrack their brains over the power of the runes, Ethrielle quietly takes a step aside and follows the lines with her eyes. She notices two things in the spider-web pattern; the concentric circles all feature one set of runes, and the lines crossing them feature another; two sets, repeating over and over. One of the lines is different, however; rather than being a straight line, it is more like an arrow, pointing inward at the levitating elf; near where the runes stop, there's two small sets of characters that form a triangle, or arrowhead. As she approaches to study it closer, the elf gives a gentle warning. "Be careful, young one. Dangerous forces are at work here; it would not do to lose your head meddling with something you do not fully understand."

For the first time, the elf displays concern. It is subtle, but you can hear it in his voice. But now that she's so close, Ethrielle sees the shimmer of the forcefield surrounding him once again, and much clearer. There's a slight shift in color, like a wisp of a rainbow, only barely noticeable. A hint of red - strange, considering the blue light being thrown around the room. Reaching out carefully, the magic ripples under her touch but holds firm; it feels warm, but not uncomfortably so. Aegrandir sucks in a breath of air through his teeth, with a strange hissing sound; discomfort overtly displays in his expression. The flame in his hand flickers and wavers, casting harsh shadows across his features.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




Attempting Religion (1d20+6): 8 and Ang's sterling record with knowledge rolls continues :V

The ancient elf's continual indirectness provokes a terse grunt from the knight.

"If Ethrielle is moving too close for comfort, you may say so. Riddles are all well and good, elder. But this is deliberate neglect of one's own safety! Was it not Labelas who wrote the Codes Of Caution? Did he not say that a long life could be preserved by giving clear instructions to the young?"

Did he really? Angharad looks briefly down at her left boot, recalling that the last editions she'd read on the cult of Labelas were decades out of date. Ah, the old elf's probably picked up on her flash of doubt. "...well, he ought to have!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





Yraine meditates for some time.


Here comes a thought.




...did she study this in rear end in a top hat noble school?

Yes, she did, didn't she. This is familiar. Just on the edge of memory. The tip of the brain...


Religion: 1d20+1 21

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008




She informed the group of what she saw, hoping she had been able to point them to something useful. Ethrielle clearly was not going to get any farther reading the sigils. A lack of formal education and an antipathy bordering on hostility for books left her ill-equipped to solve the puzzle that way. So if she could not read the sigils, she would read the person who wrote them. "You seem pretty nervous all of a sudden," she teased. "So is a little girl poking around your scribbles dangerous for her... or for you?"

Insight: 1d20+6 20

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


Under the provocation, the elf's slightly amused affability gives way to steely contempt. "It is dangerous for the both of us. It shall perhaps amuse you to know that I am not here of my own volition; nor am I a follower of the Lord of the Continuum, but rather his victim. I could not tell you the way forward, for it is not in my power or knowledge." He moves from his floating seated position to a standing one; and the moment his feet touch the ground, the forcefield flashes a bright red, momentarily obscuring your vision of the one within. When it fades, all fragility seems to have left the elder. His posture is strong, and his personality fierce. His hood has fallen away to reveal a bald head, and Labelas Enoreth's symbol glows above it; a setting sun, that now illuminates the room with a red glow where the blue flame in the elder's hand has disappeared.

Yraine remembers that not only was Labelas a provider of knowledge, his domain was also time; the ancient elven god was said to have absolute mastery over the temporal, whether for the entirety of reality or for specific individuals. Many myths involving the One-Eyed God speak of arrogant creatures finding their days swiftly numbered, and supplicants living for years beyond their time. More importantly, he could also freeze time, trapping something in a single moment for as long as he desired. Such stasis, she recognizes, is at play here - not from the god's own whims but the runic ritual inscribed here. The circle-runes speak of stopping, and the straight lines focus power inward, no doubt powering the magical field surrounding the elf in the center of the room. Taking the line that was altered into an arrow and reversing it would direct some of that power outwards and probably show them the way out.

Meanwhile, Aegrandir's eyes have turned from a rich gold to a fiery orange, burning with that same contempt as before. Ethrielle has seen that look before, when her travels made her cross paths with a fiend. It is the look of something that thinks everything is beneath it, a complete distaste for all living creatures. This guy is more than just an elf. His voice has changed, too. It is no longer as accented as before, and whether an effect of the field or something else, it seems to harmonize slightly with itself. "I had hoped you would find your way past quickly, so that I would not have to bother long with empty trivialities. I have been here since your very civilization was but a dream of an upstart barbarian tribe. Aeons have passed, and I have been here, alone, thanks to Labelas Enoreth and his damnable priests. That wouldn't have been so bad; but then they did not say that I would have to deal with tomb-robbing insects to disrupt my peace!" The elf snarls and lashes out in an angry gesture, but the field flashes crimson again as he hits it. His hand comes away looking a little burnt, but his expression does not alter. "Eternity. Do you know how long that is? Consider, for a moment, your traditions and your culture. A long, storied history, no doubt. When they were new, I was here. When they will be dust, long forgotten and supplanted by other long and storied histories, I will still be here. So long as this circle stands, I will be here, until the sun extinguishes and your gods have died."

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




This calls for an Arcana (1d20+13): 26 roll!
Also attempting an Intimidate (1d20+10): 16. Uh, more for show than anything.


"Pfthah!" The eladrin's cry of disgust carries a touch of phlegm. "Do you fancy yourself some grand judge, Aegrandir? An overstuffed eagle sitting atop his perch of long years? You are less than an infant. An infant, at least, reaches out to their world. Desires to know, learn, and live despite their own frailty. In each generation, in all nations, without fail." She pauses, chokes slightly. Those very same generations, kindling and fading at her side, have left deep marks on her. "Yet you have drowned even that instinct in a puddle of your own stinking self-satisfaction."

"That Labelas let you linger for so long as yourself, 'tis cruel beyond measure!"

Acting on Yraine's insights into the arrow, she bashes Gramd into the force field with an eldritch CRUNCH. It sizzles, distorts in blazing scarlet, pushes the hammer back from Aegrandir after a struggle. But Angharad twists upwards instead of pressing in. Power flees this unexpected assault, routed upwards towards the arrow.

Wahad
May 19, 2011



Everything by design.


As the sparking fades from the field, Aegrandir stares at Angharad with an intense hatred. His face is distorted in anger. "Is this your criteria for a worthy life? Knowledge? Oh, I know many things. Impossible things. I could speak of things that would make your ears bleed and your mind wither. But all that knowledge does me no good while I'm trapped in this infuriating stasis." While he goes on, the wall opposite of where you entered shimmers like water, then ripples away into an open passage. The way is clear, and the enraged elf makes no overt move of aggression or the like - it seems he truly is trapped. You get the sense that that is a good thing.

Elanis, Ethrielle, passive perception: You hear distant wails and groans of people in distress, if not pain.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...




Angharad wastes no time after the barrier falls. With hammer couched against her left arm and her right waved casually behind her, she leaves a shriveled wasted promise of a man behind her.

"Ho ho, I am sure you do. And we barbarous upstart insects can add no more to your stores, surely. Farewell, Aegrandir!"

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.



"Well that certainly happened." Lerissa remarks as the door opens and the old elf yells. "...I'm just going to be happy you can't say those things. Or turn us into toads or something." she declares as she moves to the now opened door and peers into it and attempts to look further in. "Let's press on then, and try to get to the bottom of all of this?" She says uncertainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009





"This is a tomb of those the elves would prefer to forget, methinks," says Yraine. "I fear the lines of our unfortunate townsfolk grow thin. We must hurry."

  • Locked thread
«9 »