Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Karela ambles casually into the tavern, taking off her helmet and pushing back her hair with a gauntleted hand. She's a bit tired, a bit sore, but mostly feeling nice and relaxed after taking Hurri out for most of a day's ride. As nice as the people of Sharpeton are, not much has happened since the group returned, and Karela's been starting to feel antsy. Spending the day blowing off steam had done some good, but she's afraid that if she spends much more time in Sharpeton hanging around helping out farmers with odd jobs, she's going to forget how to do anything else. The other day, she'd overheard old man Lubeck trying to convince his oldest son she'd make a good wife. If any sign could be clearer for her to get moving, none were coming to mind.

Come to think of it, that reminds her.

"Lerissa! Wait, no, wait one minute. Brenna! Have I drunk you out of that hop mead yet? I swear, if I have one favourite thing about the lowlands, it's your sweets."

Karela drags a couple of chairs over from half-occupied tables to where the party sits. She throws herself back in one and puts her feet up on the other.

"Anyway. Lerissa. Out by the eastern gate maybe an hour ago, an old man stopped me. He was looking for you. Human, fair, big white beard, dressed in a long black cloak with symbols I don't know all down the front. Know anyone like that? I told him you were in town but that I didn't know where you were. Didn't like the way he talked, like he thought I was dumb. Thought about telling him you'd left town, but maybe you do know him."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Karela, standing a short distance away from Ethrielle and the girl, takes her hand off her sword. There is no danger here. No time to sit around, either. Now knowing what she has to do, she strides out of the tavern and gives a sharp whistle. Within a few seconds, Hurri comes trotting up, snorting and munching on a bunch of hay.

"Ready, Elanis? I hope you can ride without a saddle. If not, don't worry too much - just hold on to me and I'll find you a healer in the morning."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Karela nods at Angharad's words. The kill fits the lizardfolk she's known, down to leaving a harmless fleeing victim alive. Most of the conversations she's had with lizardfolk have been swirled in with liberal amounts of wine, but she's pretty sure she can remember some of Black-Tooth Salko's war stories about raiding the lowlands back in the day. Come to think of it, the markings on the spear look awfully familiar, too.

History: 1d20+9 = 29

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Just as the party is moving on from the horse corpse, Karela shares her thoughts.

"There's some markings on the spear I don't know. I wouldn't expect a normal tribe. Some kind of offshoot clan, exiles maybe? Not sure."

At Ethrielle's suggestion, Karela takes a moment to think. The lizardfolk probably won't be using mounts, not to escape at least. She would prefer to charge in and overtake them, but if the rest of the party is going to be unhorsed, that plan won't work.

"Ethrielle, Elanis, Yraine, Lerissa, how close do you think you can sneak? If you can get in close, Hurri can charge in with me and Angharad - don't worry, Hurri's back is strong - and you can close in on their flanks. Either that or just back us up. We'll see how much trouble we end up in."

Silently, Karela hopes she won't have to run into anyone she knows. She doesn't expect any of the party will be in a particularly forgiving mood with whoever they find.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"No more easy kills here!" Karela shouts into the darkness. "Not where the hooves of Vakevi stand!" With a fearsome cry, she and Hurri explode onto the battlefield, stampeding past Ethrielle to slam into the colossal lizardfolk. The air crackles around Karela's sword as she slashes the brute across the chest, right where it had issued its challenge a moment before. The ferocious attack sends the hulking creature reeling, and as warrior and goat come to a halt on the backswing of the blow, one of the other nearby lizardfolk can't help but take notice of the new, towering presence right on its flank.

Minor Action: Activate Form of the Fearsome Ram! Until the form ends, I get +2 to speed and attack rolls while charging and my at-will attacks push 1 square.
Move Action: Hurri moves to E5/F6
Standard Action: Hurri charges to F12/G13. Melee Basic Attack on the Brute. 1d20+16 = 23 vs. AC; 1d12+11 = 18 damage. Brute is pushed 1 space to F15/G16.
Free Action: Mark Raider 1 USoMNT.

pre:
Karela Hag's Daughter   						 
HP: 42/42 (THP: )        AC:   22    Passive Insight: 12
Surges: 8/8 (V: 10)      For:  20    Passive Perception: 12
Initiative: +1   	 Ref:  17    Action Points: 1
Speed: 5     	         Will: 19    Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Giant

Melee Basic Attack: +12 vs. AC; 1d12+6 damage.
Crit: +1d12 damage +1d6 lightning damage.

At Will			Encounter			     Daily
Thorn Strike            [ ] Heroic Effort                    [X] Form of the Fearsome Ram
Sunspray Dance          [ ] Healing Word                     [ ] Resurgent Strike
Warden's Fury           [ ] Bathed in the Light                 
Warden's Grasp          [ ] Healing Strike
                        [ ] Earthgrasp Strike
                        [ ] Form of the Fearsome Ram Attack

Item Powers
    Lightning Weapon At-Will: Free Action: Switch between lightning and normal damage.
    Acrobat Boots At-Will: Minor Action: Stand up from prone.
[ ] Lightning Weapon Daily: Free Action: When you hit, the target and each enemy within 
    2 squares of it take 1d6 lightning.

Conditionals/Resists:
Mounted Combat: While you are riding a creature, it can make any Athletics, Acrobatics, 
Endurance, or Stealth checks using your modifier in place of its own.
Battle Cleric's Lore: When you use a cleric power to let a target spend a healing surge, 
they gain +2 to attack rolls UEoYNT.
Nature's Wrath (Hybrid): Once during your turn, as a free action, mark one adjacent enemy USoYNT.
Font of Life: Roll a saving throw at the start of your turn.
Sunspray Warrior: Gain +1 to melee and ranged attack rolls while mounted.
Reinforcing Armor: When you take damage from a melee attack, gain a +1 item bonus 
to all defenses USoYNT.

------------------------------------------------------

Hurri   						 
HP: 58/58 (THP: )        AC:   17    
                         For:  16    Passive Perception: 18
                         Ref:  14    
Speed: 8     	         Will: 14    Vision: Low-light

Melee Basic Attack: +6 vs. AC; 1d6+5 damage.
Charger: A rider with Mounted Combat gets +5 to damage rolls on charge attacks.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

When the lizardman lashes out at Hurri, he leaves himself open from above. Karela slashes downward at her foe. While it looks at first like the blow will fail to land, Karela leans into it, clutching at a patch of Hurri's hair. Hurri lets out an annoyed snort, but Karela's blade forcefully hits home. The unfortunate lizardman is sent twisting and staggering to avoid leaving his feet.

"To your right, Lerissa! Finish him!"

Immediate Interrupt: Warden's Fury targeting Raider 1: 1d20+13 = 15, missing, but not on my god drat watch. Pop Heroic Effort for +4, result is 19 vs. Fort. Raider 1 takes 15 damage, is pushed 1 square to G10 (from Form of Mountain Ram), and grants CA UEoMNT.

pre:
Karela Hag's Daughter   						 

Thorn Strike            [X] Heroic Effort                    [X] Form of the Fearsome Ram
Sunspray Dance          [ ] Healing Word                     [ ] Resurgent Strike
                        [ ] Earthgrasp Strike
                        [ ] Form of the Fearsome Ram Attack

Item Powers
    Lightning Weapon At-Will: Free Action: Switch between lightning and normal damage.
[ ] Lightning Weapon Daily: Free Action: When you hit, the target and each enemy within 

Conditionals/Resists:
Mounted Combat: While you are riding a creature, it can make any Athletics, Acrobatics, 
Battle Cleric's Lore: When you use a cleric power to let a target spend a healing surge, 
Nature's Wrath (Hybrid): Once during your turn, as a free action, mark one adjacent enemy USoYNT.
Reinforcing Armor: When you take damage from a melee attack, gain a +1 item bonus 
to all defenses USoYNT.

Hurri   						 
HP: 58/58 (THP: )        AC:   17    

Wol fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 29, 2016

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

The lizardfolk to Karela's right all burst into flame, falling to ashes in the wake of Lerissa's attack. Pretty impressive attack for a blind woman, but Karela's mind is elsewhere. The big brute seems to be in far greater pain than she and her companions have inflicted on it, and a pang of pity passes through her. Her first priority is still to stop the lizardfolk from hurting anyone else, but she can't help but wonder, now, exactly what's going on with her massive opponent.

"Alright, boy, let's get you dealt with. Let's go, Hurri!"

Hurri springs into action, darting around to the other side of the brute before slamming into it a second time. Karela deals the creature a glancing blow, but the force of Hurri is still enough to carry the lizard away and smash it into a nearby tree. Now it won't be going anywhere, at least.

Minor Action: Healing Word on Ethrielle. Ethrielle can spend a healing surge, gain +1d6 HP, and gets +2 to attack rolls UEoMNT.
Standard Action: Form of the Fearsome Ram Attack! Hurri shifts 5 squares to G17/H18, melee attack vs. Brute's AC. 1d20+13 = 25; 2d12+6 = 9 damage. Push the Brute to D13/E14, knock Brute prone. Hurri shifts to D15/E16.
Move Action: Hurri shifts to C15/D16.
Free Action: Mark the Brute.
Free Action: Nature check to see if I know why Brute is all big and weird: 1d20+9 = 29

pre:
Karela Hag's Daughter   						 

Thorn Strike            [X] Heroic Effort                    [X] Form of the Fearsome Ram
                        [ ] Earthgrasp Strike
                        [X] Form of the Fearsome Ram Attack

Item Powers

Conditionals/Resists:
to all defenses USoYNT.

Hurri   						 
HP: 46/58 (THP: )        AC:   17    

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Though Elanis rushes off, Karela turns to give Yraine some parting words before joining him.

"Ask him how his friend got so big. It's magic one way or another, but I want to know if the lizardfolk did it on their own or if there's someone else."

"Elanis! Watch out! We don't know what's in there!"

Karela rides up to the farmhouse and jumps off Hurri, leaving him right beside the door. Without so much as sheathing her sword, she jogs inside after Elanis.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Finding no bodies leaves Karela on edge. It's far from the scene she expected to see in the farmhouse, and while less grisly, it raises more questions in her mind than the alternative.

"Huh. Did the others escape, too? Doubt it. Did they get carried off somewhere? No need for the lizardfolk to still be here, then." Her questions ring through the silence of the house, addressed to no-one in particular. Maybe the party outside will find some answers from their captive.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"We ride, then! Come, Elanis, I'm sure their things will still be here when we get back."

Karela was growing bored of searching anyway. Sheathing her sword, she strides back out of the house to where the others are gathered. As she makes her way down the front steps, Hurri gives her hand a big slurp.

"Ah! Of course I didn't forget about you! Who's the good boy who kept that big tall lizardman away from our friends? That's right, I think you know who it is!" Grinning, she slips him an apple from her bag. "Now stay there a minute, I have to check your wound."

Karela walks over to Hurri's flank where the raider cut him and crouches down to take a closer look. It's still open, but as he doesn't seem to mind when she pushes down on the flesh next to it, it doesn't seem that deep. Nothing serious, though she figures she might as well at least clean it a bit before they get moving. She turns to the rest of the party.

"Before we rush in, Hurri here could do with a minute to let his wounds settle down. And by the looks of us, he's not the only one."

Let's do a short rest before we get moving!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"Huh. Hey Seb, is this Edwin? Looks like he didn't want to go down without a fight."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"No one's asking you to fight your tribemates, Dirthak. I understand. But we're getting through this pass, horses or not, fighting or not. You can come in behind us if you like, or stay out here. We're just looking for two people, two of Edwin's family who might still be alive. Maybe we'll stick a boot up the rear end of this 'shiny one' while we're here. But we're not looking to hurt anyone else if we don't have to."

Karela looks across the rest of the party, squinting in the sunrise. She scans their faces for agreement. Despite fatigue fouling her mood, it's clear in her mind that the "shiny one" is the culprit they're truly chasing, that any other bloodshed would be best avoided if possible. Anxious to get the day's work done and get to sleep, she's also hoping to get everyone on the same page so that this can be their last distraction before they launch themselves into the lizard tribe's den.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"We're not giving the lowlanders up for dead. If you truly didn't want to take them, you understand the position we're in now. We have to find them. We have to find your master. We will not turn back."

Her hand firmly gripping her sword's hilt, Karela takes the moment before battle breaks to scan her surroundings, taking in which slopes will be amenable to Hurri's hooves and which are too treacherous to reckon with in the heat of battle.

Perception: 1d20+2 = 15

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Karela rides up to the cliff face where the lizardman casters are perched. As soon as she's close enough, she leans back, swinging her far leg over Hurri. The mountain tribeswoman easily finds hand- and foot-holds, powering herself up the cliff face even as Hurri slows to a halt. When she reaches the top, she draws her sword dramatically, and for a second the blade catches the sun's blinding glint. In that moment, Yraine feels the sun's light cascade over her, returning some warmth to her body. "We do Mother Auri's work this morning, Yraine! As she rises, so do we!"

With those words, Karela charges the lizard in front of her. Unfortunately, fatigue slows her stride and her foe has ample time to dodge the coming blow, easily hopping to the side of her crashing blade.

Minor Action: Healing Word. Yraine can spend a healing surge and regain +1d6 HP. Yraine also gets +2 to attack rolls UEoMNT.
Move Action: Hurri moves to M8/N9. Athletics check to climb ridge: 1d20+12 = 30. I climb the ridge, emerging at M10.
Standard Action: CHARGE the Pyro (J11)! Melee attack vs. AC: 1d20+13 = 16 (miss).
Free Action: Mark the Pyro UEoMNT.

pre:
Karela Hag's Daughter   						 

Thorn Strike            [ ] Heroic Effort                    [X] Form of the Fearsome Ram
Sunspray Dance          [X] Healing Word                     [ ] Resurgent Strike
                        [ ] Earthgrasp Strike
                        [-] Form of the Fearsome Ram Attack

Item Powers

Conditionals/Resists:
to all defenses USoYNT.

Hurri   						 
HP: 45/58 (THP: )        AC:   17    

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
accidentally edited this post into the next post

Wol fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 25, 2016

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
edited by accident

Wol fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 11, 2016

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

At Thotka's words, Hurri gives a plaintive bleat. Karela ruffles the goat's hair. "We might want to keep going. No matter who we trust, a lot can happen in a day. Right, friends? No one about to fall over just yet?" She turns to look back at her team. They look tired, bloodied and bruised. Hells, she's sure she looks half a sight worse than half of them. Seeing the determination in their eyes, though, gives her all the more will to press on.

"Just one thing. If we're leaving Hurri behind, someone's going to have to look after his spoiled old self." Karela unslings a pack full of apples and pears from her back and holds it in front of her. "I need a volunteer. Don't worry, he won't bite the hand that feeds him." She rubs a hand over her chin, giving a skyward pensive look that breaks momentarily into a sly grin. "So long as it feeds him."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

The cave floors are rougher in some places than others. Karela tries to steer the party over the more densely packed, harder areas where they'll leave fainter tracks. Deep into the incursion, however, the sound of following footsteps tells her that haste has been getting the better of her plan. Looking back, even she can see they've been leaving visible tracks - faint, but easily clear enough for the cave's denizens to pick up on.

Nature: 15

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"Thanks for making it easy, Tasha! Father Vanha's embrace awaits you!"

Karela moves opposite Yraine, encircling their foe. She opens with a heavy downward swing - one that, despite her considerable might, goes embarassingly awry. Her sword impacts the floor with an awkward clong. Roaring, she hefts it up once again, spinning round, and catches the sinew of Tashmayuth's arm with a velocitous backswing.

Move Action: Walk to F8.
Standard Action: Earthgrasp Strike. Melee attack vs. AC: 1d20+14 (CA) = 17. If that misses, I use Heroic Effort to give the attack roll +4. If it hits, Tashmayuth takes 12 damage, is knocked prone, and if she tries to stand up before the end of my next turn, she takes 1d10+5 damage.
ACTION POINT
Standard Action: Sunspray Dance. Melee attack vs. AC: 1d20+14 (CA) = 31 (hit). Tashmayuth takes 13 damage and takes -2 to attack rolls UEoMNT.
Free Action: Mark Tashmayuth UEoMNT.

pre:
Karela Hag's Daughter   						 

Sunspray Dance          [X] Healing Word                     [ ] Resurgent Strike
                        [ ] Earthgrasp Strike

Item Powers

Conditionals/Resists:
to all defenses USoYNT.

Hurri   						 

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Karela struggles against the binding energy to no avail. "Still trapped!" She barks. "Angharradh, strike a blow for me!"

Start of Turn Saving Throw vs. Immobilized: 1d20 = 6.

Minor Action: Healing Word. Angharradh may spend a healing surge, regains 3 extra HP, and gets +2 to attack rolls UEoMNT.

End of Turn Saving Throw vs. Immobilized: 1d20 = 20.

pre:
Karela Hag's Daughter   						 

Sunspray Dance          [X] Healing Word                     [ ] Resurgent Strength
                        [X] Earthgrasp Strike

Item Powers

Conditionals/Resists:
to all defenses USoYNT.

Hurri   						 

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"One day at a time, Ethrielle. Now that we're done trading good deeds, not much else comes to my mind right now but sleep. And thanks. Especially to you, Zeera. I hope Hurri didn't make too much trouble."

I'll snatch up a pair of Luckbender Gloves!

• Locked thread