Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Ena is totally the one character that will put herself ahead of anyone else I think(maybe not Yuuri because since Ena is a teacher she might grow to care for her) and will fight with anyone who she doesn't agree too....great!

I think I can see how many of the Senses will go with some of the character according to their personalities right now when making choices, with Kazami it will be to follow the rules and obey her so no one in the team gets in any danger, Jun, since she's young, will always be to care about more about people and not the rules and will go against Kazami in some decisions I bet and finally Ena, like I said will care about about actions that help herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
For some reason this is all feeling very... uh, "Poseidon Adventure"-y?

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

TheMcD posted:

But what about we turn this conclusion on its head? You figure that Watase is a bad guy, but consider this: You've already compared LABO/Rokumei City to Umbrella, so why not accept that as a reasonable comparison. With that, we also accept that human experimentation is probably happening there. And of course, any attempts by test subjects to flee would be dealt with by use of lethal force. So what if Watase was trying to save the test subjects from LABO? That would explain why he had a gun - he'd be expecting some sort of a firefight breaking out with security once his cover is blown. Maybe the "monster" was such because of experimentation by LABO, and he was only acting in self defense? There's quite a few ways to interpret everything.

I agree with all that you say, my initial impression being that he was sent (by the government?) to 'cover up' the experiments. However, it is hard to see how any of them could see this sort of thing as a chance to 'atone' rather 'something that has to be done' even if the potential research was potentially vital, assuming this was a cover up and not a rescue attempt.
Further, it occurs to me that the wounds on the scientists, while initially referred to as stab wounds, look closer to gunshots. Perhaps they were silenced whistle-blowers, or perhaps Team A wished to bring them in to testify, and they resisted?
This still does not answer the strange distancing of Yuuri from Watase, though explanations can be made from it in either case (realized he wanted to bring her back to scientists/shot someone in process of rescuing her?).
Now there's also Ena, who has a sketchy reason to be here, who somehow found herself stuck in Level 2, when one would think an unrelated civilian would be lucky to enter level 1, and whom Yuuri seemed to know was a 'professor' (though I am willing to consider this a lucky guess).

TL;DR I am loving this

EDIT: After reviewing the prologue, Team A head into a child's bedroom after they arrive at 'Area N' (thanks for catching that, tiistai). Then the dead scientists are shown as someone says "why did this have to happen?", with the 'Case N' announcement shortly thereafter. While it raises questions about whether Yuuri, among others, is a Case N, if this is the case it clears things up some. This theory, in light of what A team says, assumes a general benevolence in their actions, as well as Yuuri (and the 'monster') being either the only 'case N', or simply the most valuable. I try to extrapolate only from what we have seen 'on-screen'.

New Theory:
A Team, while tracking down the 'Case N' child, come across scientists. It may be that these scientists were attempting to save the children, and there was a misunderstanding, or they were simply evacuating them to preserve their use, or even disposing of them. Regardless, violence proved necessary, with the Case N's scattering in fear as A team lament the necessity of their murderous action, causing the automated systems to come online to prevent their escape.
After discovering the location of Yuuri, Watase heads there, possibly shedding his hazard suit due to Yuuri last seeing people wearing that suit engaged in shooting people. At some point, she realizes his identity, and actions, thus explaining her later reaction (or it is possible the 'monster' attacked the scientists, especially given it's implied involvement with the explosions, and she simply harbors a suspicion that they will hand her over).
While attempting to regroup, he is attacked by a creature with a power he cannot understand and is forced to attempt to use his gun to defend himself, before realizing the futility of his actions and beating a retreat. The motives of his attacker, while unknown, are (in this version of events) likely rooted in the belief he was sent to 'clean up' LABO.

TL;DR I'm at least 65% wrong, aren't I? Also, I write too much.

OddHaberdasher fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 13, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Glazius posted:

For some reason this is all feeling very... uh, "Poseidon Adventure"-y?

Well, it's a survival story about a group of people trapped in an enclosed environment with death slowly creeping in. It's a fun base concept.

OddHaberdasher posted:

TL;DR I'm at least 65% wrong, aren't I? Also, I write too much.

It doesn't matter if you're wrong. What matters is that you spent time thinking, because at some point, you're going to actually work something out about as early as you would be capable of doing so. At this point, you're missing core information that makes any judgement that turns out to be right pretty much just a lucky guess, but it's easier to modifiy existing ideas with new information coming in than starting to think later down the line.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

OddHaberdasher posted:

I write too much.

I enjoy it at least! I know nothing about this game, and have made some assumptions based on what we have seen so far, but it is nice to have a lot of it put into words for me and even some things I never thought of.

In other words: :justpost:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Researcher: 09/16/2030, 09:36

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

I'm looking forward to seeing how you react to the character introduced in this chapter.

This area was considerably different from all the other floors. The walls were made of unfaced concrete, and the ceiling's steel frame and cables were completely exposed. Watase checked his Procyon to find that the display read ''1381 mSv''.

Good, looks like this place is safe too.
'Safe', huh... Normally we'd be dead at this level of radiation.
Like we said, we'll be fine as long as we have AD. And fortunately, it doesn't look like there were any fires in this area--

But the moment Jun said that,

???: --Impossible...!? Why were they...

the group heard a voice coming from somewhere.

It looks like someone's here!
Yeah!

Watase thought he heard the voice coming from the room right in front of him. The door was labeled Surveillance Room.

Heeey! Is someone in there!?

A voice filled with surprise echoed in reply to Watase's unconscious shouts.

???: Wha—!? That voice-- is that you, 'Captain Kasasagi'!?
What!? Y-you know who I am!?
???: H-how could I -not- know you...

Someone was talking to him from the other side of the door. However, Watase didn't recognize the speaker's voice.

(Who is it...!?)

Watase timidly opened the door.

Oh hey, we've seen this guy before! And we've also heard him before - astute listeners will notice that he was the one that was giving the emergency broadcast in the prologue. Of course, you can't notice that, so that's why I'm telling you. Makes sense, right?

Kazami and Jun's eyes simultaneously widened as soon as they heard the man's voice.

Huh... Mr. Ukita!?
What're you doing here, old man!?
Y-you're all here too...?

The man named Ukita said this with bewilderment.

W-wait a sec... you guys all know each other?
Yes. We saved this man when he got into a car accident just last week.
Don't tell me you got into -another- accident this week, Mr. Ukita?
Y-yes... Never in my wildest dreams would I have predicted such misfortune befalling me.

(I don't really know the circumstances, but-- anyone would be bitter over having luck this bad two weeks in a row.)

And if Kazami and Jun had saved him once before, then it made sense that he knew them all.

I see... By the way, were you not able to evacuate in time or something?
Wha... what preposterous game are you trying to pull here!? -You- were the one who looked me in this area!
H-huh...?

Watase froze in confusion at the angry look that'd suddenly appeared on the man's face.

H-hold on a second. Could you explain the details?
Shouldn't you know that better than anyone else here!?
Well, uh, you see... The truth is, it looks like I hit my head really hard a little while back... and thanks to that, I can barely remember anything...
Barely remember anything... Are you serious!?

Ukita wasn't the only one to react to Watase's explanation.

Whoa, hold on, I didn't hear any of this. Are you saying you have amnesia? Is that thing even possible outside the movies?
Well... I understand why you two can't believe it, but it's true...
The kind of long-term amnesia that you see in movies is extremely rare, but short-term amnesia where memories become hazy, while not exactly common, is still possible.

Kazami came to Watase's defense at the perfect time. Ukita spent a long moment looking doubtfully at Watase-- but eventually came to a decision and spoke.

...Very well. Then I'll believe you for now.
Thank you. Um... and you are?
Oh, I'm 'Keiji Ukita'. As you can see, I'm a researcher at this lab.
(Keiji Ukita...!?)

That name sounded familiar to Watase. He thought his memories were coming back for a moment-- but that wasn't the case. For he'd seen the words ''Keiji Ukita'' after he'd woken up. It was the name that'd been written on one of the cards he'd found earlier.

Then this is your card?
Ah! So you really did have it!

Ukita swiped the card out of Watase's hands.

U-Um, hey... Mr. Ukita? Why did I steal your card from you?
A bit of an odd question, but I suppose it can't be helped. Now then, how to explain this...

Ukita thought for a bit before he began to talk.

...While all my colleagues were evacuating, I tried to take charge of the situation. Felt it was my duty as one of the people who worked here, you see. But it didn't go so well, as a 'Case N' was declared during all the chaos... It was at that moment while I was paralyzed in shock that I met you, Captain Kasasagi. This was about 2 hours ago.
Did the captain say anything back then?
He said 'I'll go look for an exit. But the fires are getting worse and it's too dangerous, so wait for me in this room'. But I refused to listen to him. I panicked and flew into a frenzy. That's why Captain Kasasagi took my card from me-- so that I couldn't move on my own. Well, I'm sure he only did it to keep me safe... but I detest how I was given no choice in the matter. That's why I was angry.
Oh boy, sounds like you came face to face with the captain's uncompromising side.
So that's what happened... I'm sorry for what I did to you. I was probably planning on coming right back, but...
No, it's all right. By the way, who're those two?

Ukita glanced at Ena and Yuuri as he asked this.

I'm Ena Tsubakiyama. I'm a high school teacher who was called to this facility.
I'm Yuuri... I'm family to one of LABO's researchers.
Hmm... so a teacher and a family member, huh? But that sure is bizarre. This facility's security is top notch, so no one should have been able to even get into the basement floors.
Really? Then how do you the two of you explain yourselves?

Ena grew exasperated at the rest of the group's confusion.

Believe me, that's what I'd like to ask these guys. Even I don't know why they called for me so early in the morning. I was brought down here by a real jerk of an employee... then there was the explosion, and I ended up trapped here in all the confusion.
Which employee?
I think he said his name was Mr. Nojima or something like that. He told me to wait right where I was and then went running off somewhere as fast as he could. I swear, it's like a bad joke.

We get a blue branch here, but like I said earlier, we're staying with the middle for now. Back to the questioning.

Y-yes, it was like that for me too... I came to visit this place late last night... and they told me to spend the night down here in the basement floors... And when I woke up, all this happened... My mom wasn't there either and I got scared...!
Hey, then that makes us both victims who got caught up in this mess, doesn't it? You have no right to pry into our affairs.
Mmm... I see, my apologies.

Ukita seemed to be pondering something as he said that.

Intrigue!

Kazami cut into the conversation as she gave him a curious glance.

...By the way, have you already injected yourself with any AD, Mr. Ukita?
Oh, the AD! I took the ones that Captain Kasasagi gave me, but I've used them all up at this point. The last time I took any was nearly an hour ago.

As expected, a researcher like Ukita knew all about AD.

Then use this.

Watase handed Ukita an AD. The latter practically snatched it out of his hands and injected himself with it.

(... We're getting short on those things.)

Yup. The menu keeps track of your current AD stack - not exactly what I'd call crucial information (for the player, that is), but it's good to know. So right now, we have six people and five AD, and everybody needs to inject one every hour. Not good.

Ukita threw aside the empty AD ampule as anxiety began worming its way into Watase's mind.

More importantly... would all you rescue workers here please take a look at these monitors for a minute?
Huh?
I was perusing through the surveillance camera records to get a grasp of the situation when I happened upon an image that concerned me.
Now that you mention it, I do recall that you were talking to yourself just before we found you.
So what's this image that's got you all hot and bothered?
This image was taken in Area 2 at '6:21 AM'--

Ukita operated the control panel. A second later, the monitor displayed an image taken by the surveillance cameras.

...but not until the next chapter!

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
I really am enjoying the running gag of people disbelieving his amnesia, shame there are only so many more people to hear it from...

Ukita raises many questions though. On a lack of evidence (hard or spurious) to believe otherwise, I'll go with the idea that he is innocent for now. Mainly due to his (relative) lack of rank to what I'd consider to be shady folk (5th level or above, with 4th being in my imagining enough to know of hypothetical human volunteers, but not knowing exactly how voluntary their participation was). Not to mention that one would think corrupt types would try to save their skin instead of organize evacuation. The fact that keeping him safe also allowed the Captain (what I will term pre-amnesia Watase) to swipe a shiny security card for insurance against lockdown was a fringe benefit. While his hesitance could be a clue to wrongdoing, I believe it would of a minor sort if it were the case (Embezzling, tampering with the recording to omit evidence of such etc.). All this may change depending on what is on the recording.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

6+3: 09/16/2030, 09:40

Alright, I know I just can't leave you on that kind of a cliffhanger this early, so let's see our last three main characters. Furthermore, this chapter will give us two quite major revelations.

♪ BGM: Looming Crisis

The frozen image depicted three children. There was a boy with glasses and a blonde girl. They couldn't make out the face of the last one, but it appeared to be a girl as well. They were all wearing what appeared to be school uniforms. It was then that Ena and Jun both spoke at the same time.

It can't be! Why are Mr. Tenkawa and the others here!?
Huh!? Then those two are Mashiro and Louise!?
Huh? The two of you know them?
Of course I do! I'm the long-term sub for their homeroom teacher.
I just happened to get to know those kids last week...
What!?

Truth is, I'm familiar with those kids myself.
How so?
Well, not only do I live next door to that boy, but his mother happens to be one of my coworkers here. That's how.
Then did they come to see his mother?
Sorry... but I don't know the answer to that either... Anyway, there are several other images just like this one. And the last one-- Was taken in Area 5 at 7:12 AM.

When he heard that, Watase instantly understood what Ukita was getting at.

Wait... if they were down here at 7:12 AM, and the bulkheads were lowered at 7 AM...
Right. That means that there are at least three others aside from us who are trapped here in LABO.
What...!?

(What were they doing here?)

Did they really come here to visit the boy's mother? Or was there some other reason--

Hey, Teach... what're their names?
The boy is 'Natsuhiko Tenkawa'. The two girls are 'Mashiro Toba' and 'Louise Yui Sannomiya'.

All those names sounded vaguely familiar to him. He felt a kinship from them, like he'd known them all for a long time.

(Could it be... that I went down to the basement to save these kids?)

Are you sure that those kids are still trapped here?
Well, I certainly can't confirm that, but I'm pretty sure of it.

Ukita pointed to a phone in the corner of the room.

The emergency phone is dead, and my PDA isn't getting any reception.
We tried those both ourselves, but it didn't work out either.

Ena suddenly perked her head up once she heard that.

Huh... 'Bee See'?
Right, like telepathy. If we can use that to get in contact with the outside, then I think we can learn more about what's going on.
T-Telepathy...!?

Watase's eyes widened at that totally out-of—place word.

Teach, how can you joke at a time like this?
Oh my, I didn't realize your amnesia was -that- bad... So you forgot about that stuff too? People capable of using telepathy are not that uncommon these days.
Wha... Are you serious!?

Watase looked at the others in total shock. But he was the only surprised one there.

H-hey, Tachibana, is what she's saying true?
Yes, it is. The 'telepathy' she's talking about is the ability to send your voice to people in a distant place. It's true that we'd probably be able to get in touch with people on the outside if we could use it--
But though she said it's not rare, the rate of people who can use it is still only 1 in 500. And though a lot of BC users are kids for some reason, adult BC users are as rare as a hen's teeth. Naturally, that goes for you and the rest of our squad.
You've probably guessed, but I can't use it either. What about you, Yuuri?
I-I... can't do it. I'm bad at BC...

Everyone had answered with a serious look on their faces. It was still hard for him to believe, but after seeing their reactions, it seemed Watase had no choice but to accept it as the truth.

You're all serious...? Then are there people who can use other superpowers? Like, uh, you know, teleportation, telekinesis... stuff like that?
Of course not. That stuff's purely in the realm of the occult.
And telepathy isn't?
BC is a 'power' that's been scientifically proven. There's nothing 'super' about it. BC stands for 'Beyond Communication-- a form of communication that doesn't use language as an intermediary. It is essentially the ability to mutually communicate your ideas to people far away. Nothing more, and nothing less.

So there you go. That is ''Beyond Communication''. Now, don't the descriptions Kazami and Ena gave of BC sound familiar?

It appeared that this ''BC'' had very limited uses. But even if what she said was true--

Well, yeah, it probably would be better if we could use telepathy or whatever... But I doubt we'd be so lucky to have anyone here who won the lottery on that whole '1 out of 500' deal.
But those kids -can- use telepathy.
Huh!? Then we could contact the surface if they were here!?
-If— they were here, that is... Ah geez, this is pathetic. Things would be so much easier if I could use it myself.

So that was the first revelation. ''Beyond Communication'' is the power of telepathy. This is a scientifically proven concept and is accepted in the world as reality. I would say that this is the one big lie that this science-fiction story puts out - and there will be a lot more explanations on exactly how BC works down the line, don't you worry. They didn't just come up with this and throw it in there without having an explanation. But we're not going to be getting that yet. We need some mysteries for later, after all!

But now, it's time for the second revelation.

Just then, Ena's words... were cut off by the sudden sound of a voice and white noise echoing through the room.

♪ BGM: Close to the Truth

???: --his is Sirius Commander Murakami. Tachibana, do you read me? Over.
What!?

Kazami took out her PDA and spoke directly into it.

Loud and clear. This is Lieutenant Tachibana of Sirius Team A.
Commander: Tachibana! Looks like we finally got the radio up and running again!
But the reception's still extremely unstable. It could cut off at any moment for all we know.
Commander: Then make your report as short as possible. Give me an update on your status.
Roger. At the present, we are--

Kazami then told Commander Murakami everything that'd transpired up until that point. About how they'd reunited with Watase and then saved Yuuri, Ena, and Ukita. It appeared she was keeping Watase's amnesia a secret for now. Once Kazami had finished her report, Commander Murakami paused, then spoke again in a defeated voice.

Commander: I see... so everyone in Team A really did go down to the basement.
Then you're saying that neither Dojima nor Hiyama made it to the surface?
Commander: No. It appears that the surface and basement have become completely separated.

Kazami listened calmly to Commander Murakami's solemn voice before speaking again.

Incidentally, would you happen to know why the bulkheads have been lowered, sir?
Commander: Truth is, there are still a lot of things we're unclear about ourselves up here... but I have to tell you something first. The nuclear reactor in the basement has undergone a meltdown. We know this for a fact.
I knew it...!
Commander: Right after the explosions occurred at 6:19 AM, LABO's engineers began working on initiating an emergency shutdown of the reactor from the remote control room located in the surface floors.

Tips posted:

TIP: Nuclear reactor scram
Category: Nonfiction

When an anomaly is detected in a nuclear reactor, an automatic or manual emergency shutdown of the nuclear reactor is called a scram. In the event of particularly big anomalies or failures, it is wise to have measures to cool the reactor to stability by inserting a neutron-absorbing control rod, adding neutron slowing agents, or by adding a coolant in accordance with the model of the nuclear reactor. If these measures cannot be taken due to power failures caused by natural disasters, there is a risk of the fuel rod melting down due to its own decay heat, or in the worst case, the reactor could explode. LABO uses a boiling-water reactor which pulls in water from Lake Rokumei as both a slowing agent and a coolant.

Commander: But after that, pretty much everything that could have gone wrong, did. The short-term coolant suffered a circulation malfunction, the water pressure regulators broke down, the ventilation control system went offline, and so on. The engineers did all they could to prevent a meltdown-- But unfortunately, their desperate efforts were in vain...
Commander: That's also what caused the bulkheads to lock. The radiation leakage prevention system activated when the meltdown occurred.

Tips posted:

TIP: Radioactivity
Category: Nonfiction

Refers to how an unstable radioactive material emits radiation as it decays and gains more stable nuclei. It is somewhat like a measure of the material's capability to emit radiation. Today in Japan, the terms radioactivity, radioactive material, and radiation often get confused, and heeding that confusion, the media and some specialists often lump them all as radioactivity, but strictly speaking, these terms refer to different concepts.

Using a flower as a metaphor, the difference is as follows:
Flower = radioactive material
Floral scent = radiation
Flower's capability to give off its scent = radioactivity.

The radiation leakage prevention system...!
Commander: Yeah, it's used to prevent the spread of radioactive material.
Then can't you simply open the bulkheads for just a few seconds?

Expectation filled the group's faces when they heard Kazami's suggestion. However--

Commander: It pains me to say this... But at the present, that's impossible...!
Impossible!? Why is that!?
Commander: It seems that due to the meltdown, there's still a huge fire going on in Area N, which is where the reactor is located-- The security's system's gone haywire thanks to that, which means that we can no longer access it externally in theory. It seems the system will stop going haywire if the fire quells down, but since Area N's automatic sprinkler system is already broken, we can't expect that the fire will be extinguished. So LABO's staffers are currently doing everything in their power to restore the system, but...
How long do they think that will take!?
Commander: ...About...

And thus, we have the second big revelation, both for you as readers and me as an LPer - this isn't going to be a quick operation. Remember how slowly time has been going from update to update? We got nine more hours. And that's just one route.

Also, nine hours. Nine people. Hang on...

Everyone gasped at the words ''nine hours''.

D... don't joke like that! Please destroy the bulkhead or open an escape route for us!
Commander: I'm really sorry, Tachibana, but I can't do that!
Why not!? C4 should be enough to get the job done, right!?
Commander: The floors and bulkheads dividing the surface and basement are made of 8-layered thick anti-heat and shock composite steel plates! C4 won't be enough for something like that! Those plates are designed to withstand steam and hydrogen explosions. We don't have anything nearly powerful enough...
N-no way...

The normally composed Kazami was in total shock.

We've got multiple survivors down with us... Are you sure there's nothing you can do...!?
Commander: We're doing all we can too, but it-- take some ti--... o wait.

Suddenly, his voice started only coming through in bursts.

Commander!? I didn't catch all of that!
Commander: ...ception's unstable! --o time, I have message from LABO's staff to you!

The commander apparently realized that the transmission was reaching its limits, as he started talking much faster without pausing.

Commander: --re's AD lying all around the facility for cases like this! Keep administering it to yourselves! And stay away from contaminated zones! --st keep doing that and you'll make it for sure!

His voice was full of grief and pain. Kazami quietly listened to him with a bitter look on her face.

Commander: ...--...ounting on you, Tachibana. Support Kasasagi and Moribe as m--
Commander!? You're breaking up again!
Commander: ...hear me!? The reception's going--
Commander! Commander!

Kazami desperately called out to him-- But the only reply she got was the cruel hiss of static from the radio.

The true Root Double starts here.

VOTING

Alright, so we've gotten at least a glimpse of every character to be listed on the Enneagram. With that in mind, we're going to have a bit of a vote to see what you think of those we hadn't seen at the time of the last voting. As before, vote for Top, High, Low or Bottom, and do so for Yuuri Kotono, Ena Tsubakiyama, Keiji Ukita, and the group of three (Natsuhiko, Mashiro and Louise). As of right now, the three are separated from our group, so our Senses won't be as important. They will largely just show how much we desire to rescue them, to see them safe. Because of that, I'll just put the three together and we can have separate voting once we've seen more of them.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 14, 2016

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I don't trust these dang kids and their new-fangled psychic powers! Bottom for the kids.
For the others,
Yuuri Kotono: High
Ena Tsubakiyama: Low
Keiji Ukita: Top

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
My reaction to BC :dogbutton: At least they introduced it early, I suppose....

Now, the revelation that, Yuuri aside, every single one of these kids was known to our subordinates, and recently, means that it is extremely unlikely that they were part of unethical experimentation unless they were grabbed for such extremely soon before the accident(also unlikely). On the other hand, we now know what sort of thing LABO was (maybe) trying to accomplish, TK and teleportation may be myths but monsters are too....

The likeliest sequence is now that the Captain and Cell A (Now that Team B is actually a thing) found out about the children and sought to rescue them, with no premeditation, to atone for a prior incident. But then how did those scientists die? Who 'lied' to them?

Finally, if BC laws are a thing regarding "secret cities" It may be that BC, being a real, mainstream thing, has some way to counteract it or limit it's spread, to avoid facilities like LABO having all it's research stolen. Can't otherwise see what sort of (enforceable) laws one can put around telepathy, unless the presence of a telepath is obvious.

BASELESS SPECULATION: A trio of children (all in school uniforms as opposed to Yuuri's getup) go wandering into places they Should Not Be, learning things they Should Not Know about experiments to (Induce? Manipulate?) esper-type abilities through radiation, when explosions start happening (perhaps a temporary elevation of powers due to fear of death? "Inspiration can only be acquired through real danger" or however that 999 quote went?). Sirius comes in, the Captain is 'lied to' about the location of the kids he sees in CCTV recordings by Ukita, something something something, final showdown with super esper (possibly Natsuhiko having gone temporarily insane for some reason?). I don't really have anything, that last update hulled everything I had :shrug:

As for the Sense Enneagram, going strictly by what Watase has seen, not dubious meta knowledge, I reckon Ukita should be Upper, as while our nominal subordinates may have more experience than us (for now), he actually has some knowledge of this facility and we can worry about any lies he may tell us later, when survival is not a major concern. Ena should be Lower because her stated reasons for being here are sketchy and Watase just doesn't seem to like her so far. Yuuri, Natsuhiko and the other children should be Top Priority, both because of the vital importance of BC potentialin this crisis, but mainly because Watase seems to abhor the idea of children being in danger and seems to connect better with the less mature members of the group on a personal level.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Everyone on low!

As I said before I only trust Jun right now but since she isn't part of the voting yeah everyone else goes down, Ukita working there is obviously the character that might not be evil but he knows more than he lets on and will hide stuff I bet.

Also that voice we heard when trying to save Yuuri was BC no? That's the only thing I can think off.

Also Watase found the three kids familiar and he says that it's because maybe he tried to save then....I have a crazy theory about that but that involves talking about ever17 spoilers and I know that game is super old but hey thanks to this LP people might want to check it out, and you should since it's pretty great, so I will spoiler this so yeah EVER17 SPOILERS here so in ever17 , if I remember right, one the two playable characters has amnesia and the reason for that is because Black Winkel/the player entered his mind and because in the other route you meet a small boy who has amnesia you the player/Black Winkel thinking the character you will play as has amnesia you give that diferent character amnesia so I'm wondering if the fact that Watase has amnesia and see's the other playable character as someone he has known for a long time and has some sort of kinship with him makes me think this sorta of a Black Winkel situation where since you the player follow Natsuhiko eyes in his route so of course Watase right now would feel familar to then

Yeah it's a crazy theory but knowing all the other games by the same writers it's a fair theory I think.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Yuuri Kotono: Middle
Ena Tsubakiyama: Low
Keiji Ukita: Bottom
Kids: Top

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
High for the Kids, we're rescue workers and we need to ensure the safety of women and children.

Likewise, Yuuri should be High as well. Ukita and Ena seem pretty untrustworthy and can go to the Bottom

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

TheMcD posted:

You've probably guessed, but I can't use it either. What about you, Yuuri?
I-I... can't do it. I'm bad at BC...

So she CAN do BC, she's just bad at it?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Tamba posted:

So she CAN do BC, she's just bad at it?

We only learn this later, but it's kind of important and doesn't facilitate any twist or anything like that, so I'll just tell you now: BC depends on both natural aptitude and acquired aptitude. Natural aptitude is just something that happens, and it's absolute. You either have the necessary aptitude to use BC or you don't. However, just having that aptitude doesn't mean you can use BC either, because you need to practice it a lot to get actually good with it.

I presume that this statement means that Yuuri has some natural aptitude, but never practiced and therefore can't use BC.

OddHaberdasher posted:

I don't really have anything, that last update hulled everything I had :shrug:

Get used to that feeling, by the way.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

TheMcD posted:

We only learn this later, but it's kind of important and doesn't facilitate any twist or anything like that, so I'll just tell you now: BC depends on both natural aptitude and acquired aptitude. Natural aptitude is just something that happens, and it's absolute. You either have the necessary aptitude to use BC or you don't. However, just having that aptitude doesn't mean you can use BC either, because you need to practice it a lot to get actually good with it.

I presume that this statement means that Yuuri has some natural aptitude, but never practiced and therefore can't use BC.

Now, I don't know what kids these days are like in a world where telepathy is old hat, but either Yuuri was extremely sheltered, or she only got the 'aptitude' recently, because if I learned I had any kind of psychic type powers, you can bet I would practice it everyday. In other words conspiracy theory intensifies.

TheMcD posted:

Get used to that feeling, by the way.
I thoroughly plan to :)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I liked your last big post and I continue to like your baseless speculation.

Just my 2 cents but it looks to me the figure we see Watase fighting with in the prologue, the "monster", looks like he's wearing the same clothing as the other potential Player Character. I imagine this is relevant cause the two routes are gonna cross over a bunch as we play through the story.

As for trust:

Kids: High, gotta save em' all stupid kids
Yuuri Konto: Top, the voice in our head says save her. Now either the voice is friendly or it turns out that she is the BBEG, either way I wanna see what happens.
Ena Tsubakiyama: Bottom, I'd buy the typical anime Kids being here because where there's Anime science there's kids getting super powers. Their anime teacher seems to be a really big stretch. Probs evil.
Keiji Ukita: Middle, typical scientist guy. Probs wants to be ethical in a place that is obviously full of secrets and lies. Likely is a traitor of some sort, but who will be on our side cause we're the rescue rangers. Also maybe he knows something about Yuuri who is obviously constantly lying to us through her teeth.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

I liked your last big post and I continue to like your baseless speculation.

Just my 2 cents but it looks to me the figure we see Watase fighting with in the prologue, the "monster", looks like he's wearing the same clothing as the other potential Player Character. I imagine this is relevant cause the two routes are gonna cross over a bunch as we play through the story.

As for trust:

Kids: High, gotta save em' all stupid kids
Yuuri Konto: Top, the voice in our head says save her. Now either the voice is friendly or it turns out that she is the BBEG, either way I wanna see what happens.
Ena Tsubakiyama: Bottom, I'd buy the typical anime Kids being here because where there's Anime science there's kids getting super powers. Their anime teacher seems to be a really big stretch. Probs evil.
Keiji Ukita: Middle, typical scientist guy. Probs wants to be ethical in a place that is obviously full of secrets and lies. Likely is a traitor of some sort, but who will be on our side cause we're the rescue rangers. Also maybe he knows something about Yuuri who is obviously constantly lying to us through her teeth.

I'll vote for this configuration, too.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Two things I'd like to ask:

One: Will we ever get to choose Watase's own trust level in this route?
Two: The Before route is not these events from Natsuhiko's perspective, right?

Kids: Top
Ena: Top-Middle
Yuuri: Middle
Keiji: Low

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

Junpei posted:

I'd imagine we will, when it becomes a potentially life or death matter, though who knows when that will be.

Junpei posted:

From the description, the route might have different perspectives on these events, though the meat of the route seems to be the flashbacks to whatever happened before this mess.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Junpei posted:

Not entirely sure what you mean by that. Isn't it this?

We already set our Senses for Watase in Chapter 4.

Junpei posted:

I guess I might as well just tell you outright: Route Before uses the three kids being trapped in LABO as a framing device for flashbacks to the days prior to the event, starting with 9/10/2030. So the route does involve these events from Natsuhiko's perspective, but the focus is on the timespan between 9/10/2030, 6:19 and 9/16/2030, 9:16.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

TheMcD posted:

I guess I might as well just tell you outright: Route Before uses the three kids being trapped in LABO as a framing device for flashbacks to the days prior to the event, starting with 9/10/2030. So the route does involve these events from Natsuhiko's perspective, but the focus is on the timespan between 9/10/2030, 6:19 and 9/16/2030, 9:16.

So 6 days prior to the incident

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, so we're the celebrity guest stars while those meddling kids solve another mystery?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Glazius posted:

Oh, so we're the celebrity guest stars while those meddling kids solve another mystery?

There's more than enough mystery to go around.

Also, I decided to call the vote for the Senses for the remaining characters. The results are as follows:

code:
Yuuri:

Top:    III
High:   II
Middle: II
Low:    I
Bottom: 

Result: ((3*8)+(2*6)+(2*4)+(1*2)+(0*0))/8 = 5.75 = 6

Ena:

Top:    
High:   I
Middle: 
Low:    IIII
Bottom: III

Result: ((0*8)+(1*6)+(0*4)+(4*2)+(3*0))/8 = 1.75 = 2

Ukita:

Top:    I
Low:    II
Bottom: II

Result: ((1*8)+(1*6)+(2*4)+(2*2)+(2*0))/8 = 3.25 = 3

Natsuhiko/Mashiro/Louise:

High:   III
Middle: 
Bottom: I

Result: ((3*8)+(3*6)+(0*4)+(1*2)+(1*0))/8 = 5.5 = 6
And for the record, that means that our Senses rankings look as follows:

6: Yuuri, Mashiro, Natsuhiko, Louise, Jun
4: Kazami
3: Watase, Ukita
2: Ena

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Radiation: 09/16/2030, 09:44

Alright, the people have spoken, and their opinions on the new characters are as follows:

code:
Yuuri:

High:   II
Bottom: 

Result: ((3*8)+(2*6)+(2*4)+(1*2)+(0*0))/8 = 5.75 = 6

Ena:

Top:    
Middle: 
Low:    IIII
Bottom: III

Result: ((0*8)+(1*6)+(0*4)+(4*2)+(3*0))/8 = 1.75 = 2

Ukita:

Top:    I
Low:    II
Bottom: II

Result: ((1*8)+(1*6)+(2*4)+(2*2)+(2*0))/8 = 3.25 = 3

Natsuhiko/Mashiro/Louise:

High:   III
Middle: 
Bottom: I

Result: ((3*8)+(3*6)+(0*4)+(1*2)+(1*0))/8 = 5.5 = 6
I will be applying these results whenever possible.

♪ BGM: Psychological Warfare

Kazami grimly put her PDA away. The rest of the group, full of panic, all began speaking at the same time.

Did he just say... nine hours...!?
That's way too long! Why will it take that much time!?
And the reactor causing all of this is only a hand's reach away...!

Staying in an environment like that for nine hours... It was an insane idea to all of them. And it didn't look like they could expect the reinforcements that Kazami had been counting on. Not any time soon, that is. Watase then spoke with a cracked voice.

...Yes?
What the hell's this 'radiation leakage prevention system'...!?

That didn't seem like a question that would cause a reaction like that. In fact, that's a question that he probably really should have been expecting.

It's because of that thing that we're stuck here... Why did something like that activate where there's still people down here? And what the hell's a meltdown anyway!? Tell me! I'm the only one here who doesn't know just how bad it is!

Ukita hesitantly looked around at everyone else, then sighed.

I'll warn you that this will be quite a simplified explanation, though. Is that all right?
Yeah... please tell us.

With those words as a signal, Ukita began to quietly explain.

I remember somebody saying they were enjoying this more as a firefighter procedure drama than a survival story. Well, we won't be having that here, but now it's time for the game to go all physics lesson on us again.

In short-- a meltdown is a phenomenon where a nuclear reactor's core rises to exceptionally high temperatures, then proceeds to melt. Normally, the nuclear fuel burning in the reactor is constantly cooled to prevent something like this from happening... But when it's not cooled adequately, the heat becomes far too much for the reactor's heat-resistant properties to handle, and thus damages the reactor itself. And then the scorching hot fuel is released into the outside.
Is that what's causing that 'large fire' in Area N right now?
Yes. It's most likely that the immensely hot fuel set fire to nearby flammable objects. The melted fuel is around 3000 degrees Celsius, so it'll burn anything it touches.
And the fact that it's still burning means that it'll cause catastrophic damage, won't it?
I believe that your assumption is correct. And with the automatic sprinkler system destroyed, it's possible that it's also causing explosions. What's more, it'll cause a steam explosion if it comes in contact with any water. Area N is now turning into a literal hell on Earth.

A stiff smile rose to Ukita's face as he said all this.

...And though it goes without saying, nuclear fuel is radioactive. Which means that it scatters radiation all around it after escaping from the reactor. To give an example-- I know, are you familiar with the 'Chernobyl nuclear disaster'?
No...

The name didn't ring any bells to him. Ukita sighed and continued.

It was one of the greatest nuclear crises in human history. It happened about half a century ago in Ukraine. A nuclear power plant's reactor melted down, causing a steam explosion. Up to 10 tons of radioactive material leaked out of the reactor chamber. It was the equivalent of 500 of the atomic bombs dropped in Hiroshima, causing enormous casualties. 3000 power plant workers and firefighters who tried to contain the accident died, and the casualties only kept on piling up afterwards. Even to this day we don't know exactly how many died-- but the number is estimated to be in the hundreds of thousands.
Hundreds of thousands!? How did so many people die....!?
Because of the radioactive material. From the explosions and fires came what we call 'atomic dust', which proceeded to float up into the sky, then fall back down to the earth with rain. Do you understand where I'm going with this? Because this is the truly terrifying part. Think of what will happen when the radiation bottled up in this place spreads to the surrounding regions...!
...So what you're saying is that atomic dust stuff will leak out of here and contaminate the area outside the facility?
Precisely. The area around the Chernobyl nuclear power plant has become uninhabitable to humans and will remain that way for the next 900 years. Therefore, modern emergency procedures for dealing with a meltdown are the result of people applying the lessons they learned from past nuclear disasters all around the world-- Thus strengthening the trend to make preventing the spread of radioactive material their first priority. That's why all the bulkheads automatically locked down when a meltdown happened in this facility. In other words, 'Case N' is a code to notify people that they're performing a forced lockdown with the bulkheads.
...So that's it...!

It was true that if the nuclear reactor was shielded by the unparalleled strength of composite steel plates, then it'd be able to easily handle a meltdown in the rare case of one. If the facility had been made of, say, normal reinforced concrete instead, then it would've most likely collapsed completely in the event of a steam explosion. So perhaps they'd made the facility into what was essentially one giant heavy metal box so that all they'd have to do in times of emergency was simply close the lid, sealing everything inside into an airtight container. Though he could understand the logic behind that--

...But what're the people trapped inside supposed to do?

I really want the response to this to just be ''They're supposed to die, Watase.''

He's right! Is there no way out!? Like through the air ducts... The fact that we can still breathe means that air is passing through them somewhere, doesn't it?
No, the air ducts have radioactive material filters set up all over in them. They block all potential routes to the surface and other areas. So naturally, people can't get past them. Therefore, it's impossible to escape through the air ducts.
They were that thorough!?
Indeed. All nuclear-related facilities are extremely careful when it comes to safety. Right now, LABO's basement floors have been completely cut off from the outside world. All to ensure that not a single speck of ash sneaks out. So just like your boss said earlier, our only option is to keep administering AD as we wait for the lockdown to lif--

But before Ukita could finish his sentence, Jun cut in.

Hold on, Mr. Ukita... It doesn't look like we'll be able to just sit around and take it easy.
Wh-why's that?

Jun responded by taking her Procyon out of her breast pocket.

Take a look at the reading on this Procyon.. it's now up to '1605 mSv'. But it was only around '100 mSv' right after the lockdown started. And though the reading's been varying from place to place... it's still slowly but surely increasing.
What!?

Now that he thought about it, she was right. The reading he'd seen when he'd first looked at a Procyon was about 1100 mSv. The reading really had increased in the short amount of time that'd passed since then.

Wh-what's going on, Mr. Ukita!? Why's the reading getting bigger!?
Even if the place is set up so that radioactive material doesn't spread out of the facility, isn't there something -in- the place that can counter it!?
...N-no, you see... ...I don't know either...!
Are you serious!?
The security gates between each area are supposed to be effective at preventing the spread of radioactive material like the bulkheads are... But maybe the gates and inner walls have been damaged in certain spots due to those explosions and fires... Or perhaps the filters in the air ducts are broken...
Wh-what the hell!? Then what was all that crap about being 'careful with safety'!?

Ena's eyebrows raised sharply as she accosted Ukita.

What kind of place locks down their bulkheads when there's still people inside and can't even open them up!?

A place that doesn't want radioactive material getting out, you loving nitwit.

Another blue path...

...which means we get to put down our Senses for Ena and Ukita. And while you didn't trust Ukita, you trusted Ena even less. Of course you did.

Face it, this so-called 'radiation leakage prevention system' is full of holes!

I mean, she's kind of right, but still, the primary objective is to not have anything get out. And so far, it's been doing that just fine - it's just the inside that's hosed.

M-mmm... I-I admit that our safety had a lot of shortcomings... But the system going haywire and the explosions were all factors beyond our expectations--
Isn't that whole 'being careful about safety' stuff supposed to keep those unexpected factors from happening!?

Also, I feel really bad for Ukita here. I mean, the entire god drat place just blew up. Some poo poo got absolutely royally hosed at LABO, and there's no way you can account for something like that. Besides, he's just a researcher. Level 4, sure, but that means there's still a fair share of people above him. And he's just expected to know everything about the facility and is taking the heat for all of LABO's shortcomings. Let off the guy, for crying out loud - he stayed behind to help people evacuate, and this is the thanks he gets.

H-hold on, calm down, Teach!
Calm down!? How the hell am I supposed to calm down!? I wish it'd been just me instead of me -and- my students who got trapped down here!

Once again, a blue decision point...

...and this time, we get to set our Senses for the three students still unaccounted for beyond some security camera footage. And they indeed scored quite high - they tied for the top of the list! Ena, of course, stays at the bottom.

Taken aback, Watase glanced at the monitors again.

With no one having come to their aid and pursued by the fires and fear of the radiation around them, they were no doubt still running around, trying to find a way out.

At the very least, we need to give them some AD as soon as possible...!

Ena sounded on the verge of tears. She may have looked harsh on the surface-- but when it came down to it, she really was a teacher. She couldn't help but be worried about her students.

(But that's...!)

My apologies, Ms. Tsubakiyama... but there's still a problem regarding that.
Huh...?
Even if we find them and take them with us, we'll need nine AD per hour to keep us all alive. But right now-- we only have five left. Forget just getting it to them, not even all six of us will be able to survive the next hour if the situation doesn't improve...!

Everyone gasped.

F-five... that's all you have!?
My sincerest apologies... this is all because we didn't expect to get caught in a situation like this.
How can you be so unprepared!? Aren't you guys supposed to be a rescue squad!?
...I truly... am sorry.

(Could this situation possibly get any worse...!?)

Well, the security station could blow up and kill like half of you. Never ask if the situation could get worse, because it always could.

They needed 6 AD per hour to keep the entire group safe from radiation exposure. And they would need one more for each survivor that they rescued. It hadn't felt like they'd been so low on AD right after they'd saved Yuuri--

(But with Teach and Mr. Ukita with us now... we've finally come up short!)

He didn't know how the situation had gotten so bad nor did he have time to think about it. But their next course of action was clear.

So basically, we'll have to find enough AD for everyone-- As we're looking for the other three survivors, won't we...!?
Correct, and as soon as possible too.

Kazami looked back at the monitors.

Before their 'cumulative exposure' exceeds fatal levels...!
Cumulative exposure?

You thought we were done with radiation talk?

Kazami quickly answered Watase's question.

The radiation you're exposed to builds up in your body. That total amount is known as the 'cumulative exposure'. What the Procyon actually shows is 'how much radiation you'll be exposed to per hour in your current location'. In other words, that means we'll be exposed to '1605 mSv per hour' in our present environment. The fatality rate for having a cumulative exposure of 2000 mSv is approximately 5%. At 4000 mSv, it's approximately 50%. And if it goes up to 8000 mSv, that's a 99% chance of death right there. In other words, the more your cumulative exposure increases, the higher and quicker the risk of dying gets. And it takes a long time for any radiation you've accumulated to go away.

Which meant that if they didn't give themselves any AD in this environment-- Their cumulative exposure would reach 4000 mSv in two and a half hours, and 8000 mSv in five hours.

(If we don't find more AD, we'll all be dead before the lockdown can be lifted...!)

Ukita then spoke up as this thought crossed Watase's mind.

And it's still very useful in keeping you alive longer than you normally would even in environments of up to 8000 mSv. Our cumulative exposure won't rise so long as we keep administering AD.
Are you positive about that? I'd really appreciate it if you could back that up with proof--
It may be hard to believe, but please trust me completely on this matter. AD is our lab's greatest masterpiece. It protects the entire body from radiation exposure through stable iodine agents, chelating agents, nine types of Prussian Blue anti-radiation medicine, and medical nanomachines-- All of these circulate throughout the body through the vein it's injected into, protecting your cells, blood, nerves, and genes. It spreads through your gastric and respiratory mucosa in just three minutes, completely cutting off all intake of radioactive material. Furthermore, it detoxifies all radioactive materials and chemical compounds, which are excreted from the body through sweat and urine. The reason I'm so calm is because I'm aware of just how incredibly effective AD is. Trust me, I'd be panicking if it wasn't.

You had me at 'nanomachines'.

I... I see!

That is the sound of a man not seeing at all.

Ukita's voice and expression both seemed totally honest. So basically, they could survive so long as they kept administering AD. But their bodies would get closer and closer to death with each passing moment once its effects wore off.

Then we can't just keep standing around here and complain all day, right!? We have to get all the AD we can find lying around this place and get them to Natsuhiko and the others!
Hey, Mr. Ukita! Can't we use the surveillance cameras to look for survivors!?
He's right! Or even use the PA to call for them!
Unfortunately... the PA's not working anymore, and almost all of the cameras are broken.
How'd that happen?
Probably due to the effects of the fires and explosions... even most of the surveillance footage is vanishing. Though from what I can surmise from the minuscule amounts of footage I could recover, they were apparently heading towards 'Area 6'...
Area 6!

Meaning they'd been heading to an area much further ahead than this one. But just knowing that was enough.

Actually, that's perfect... I mean, it's possible that there's more survivors than just those three. So we'll need to comb through all the areas from top to bottom anyway in order to rescue them all.
Yes. And we've already finished searching Areas 1 and 2. Which means that we'll have searched all the areas if we press on while searching everywhere from Areas 3 to 6.
Dojima and Hiyama should also be there. Not only do they both have their own AD too, but they're the best in the squad next to the captain. Meaning we'll have nothing to fear if we regroup with them!
All right! Tachibana, Moribe, let's get a move on right away!

Ena then turned to them with a firm voice.

I... I'm coming too!
M-Me too. It'd be more effective to keep progressing onwards while we're all searching.

Another branch.

This time around, we only set Yuuri's Senses from 8 to 6, but that shouldn't really do anything different.

Is this really the time to be saying that!?
Indeed. And besides, I'm very familiar with LABO and its structure. I can probably be of at least a little use.
I'll go too... I might not be able to do anything, but I'll try my best.

Even Ukita and Yuuri were siding with Ena.

Tachibana, can't you see...? Even Yuuri of all people is up for this!

When Watase took LABO's size into consideration, he realized that it'd be better to have all the help they could get with the searching. And he didn't want Yuuri's feelings to go to waste. Not after she'd mustered up her courage like that.

He's right, Lieutenant. Let's put reality before the rules right now.
...You're right, we don't have much choice...!

Kazami nodded after a moment's hesitation. --And thus six wills became one to accomplish the same goal: ''To survive''. And also ''To rescue the survivors''. They had to act as soon as possible in order to fulfill these tasks.

Then let's hurry. How exactly do we plan on searching?
We only have two Procyons and security cards, so let's split into two groups and search.
Who'll be on what team?

Roger!
O... okay.

All right.
I have no objections myself.
Then our team will sweep the inner ring, so I'd like for Moribe's team to handle the outer ring. There are four things we need to look for-~ 'The survivors' and 'AD'. And if possible, see if you can locate an 'escape route' or a 'Level 5 security card' so we can get into Area 5. The AD are being stored in iron 'medical boxes'. Some might be lying around in a passageway or somewhere like that, so check them carefully. We're pressed for time, so hurry...! But do -not- rush this, and please put your own safety above all else! All right then, let's get started!
YEAH!

And so, with Kazami's words having sparked a fire in them all, the group ran out of the surveillance room.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
This update didn't really answer or pose any questions, so I'll just post about my opinions of the characters.

First, Ukita. I really felt sorry for him in this update, you could just see in his face when Watase asked about the prevention system that he knew this would not go over well. In light of my earlier theory, his mention of many surveillance tapes being destroyed is suspicious, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for Ena, well, if I said I wouldn't react much the same in her shoes I'd probably be lying. Still, she was annoying this update.

Another thing that jumped out at me was that AD was produced by LABO, and not some other group. One of my initial thoughts, back before the Beyond Communication thing got brought up, was that LABO was using human experimentation to 'cut corners' in an attempt to make a breakthrough and one up the competition. While such a cynical motivation may still be applicable, the fact they were already 'on top of the game' leads me to ascribe a more idealistic, though still reprehensible, outlook to management. Assuming I'm right, of course.

Finally, I leave with this observation:

Overly long technical description? Psychic phenomena? NANOMACHINES??!!

Could it be?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Science lesson- Check.
Psychic powers- Check.
Enclosed area- Check.
Nine people- Check.
Time limit- Check.

All we need is an escape puzzle (not happening), a branching decision tree (also not happening) and a major scientific/psychological principle to base the setting on (unlikely, but possible) and we'll have gone full Zero Escape!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Leakage: 09/16/2030, 09:50

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 3

--They first ran into the nearest room.

Deeper inside was a space that seemed to be for a rest area, a guardsroom, or possibly a conference room.

All right, commence the search! We have one minute!
Yeah!
Y-yes!

The group split up and searched the room. Though they didn't find the survivors or a medical box there, something still caught their eyes.

(Hmm?)

A notepad was lying on the floor. Something had been hastily scribbled on it.

... The sprinkler system? Could this inspection be the reason why it's not online?

Kazami ran up to him and took a look at the note.

No, the date's wrong. Today's September 16th-- But perhaps we'll find out why the sprinkler system's offline if we go to this 'engine room'.
Do you know where it is?
Negative. I can only hope we find it in our future search.

But though they hadn't gained much information, it was still progress.

All right, next room!

The group finished up their search of the room in precisely one minute, then headed for the next one. They entered the hallway and went next door.

The survivors were nowhere to be found, and all the elevator lights were off.

So it appears that all the elevators In this facility are disabled, not just Area 1 and 2's.
Um, couldn't we climb up the elevator shaft to get to the surface...?
Unfortunately, there's a bulkhead in the shafts at the section that leads to the surface.
That's also gotta be part of the radiation leakage prevention system...!

With the elevators out, the group had no choice but to move on. Their next destination was the connecting passageway that led to Area 4.

This rubble... was it created by the explosions that occurred before the meltdown?
Most likely.
...I don't think we can get past it.

Though they'd finally gotten their hands on a Level 4 card, it meant nothing in the face of this. It appeared they'd need to find another way into Area 4.

There's no point in standing around here! Let's move on!

The group went back to Area 3 and headed towards Area N this time.

they were greeted by a door, with a security terminal stationed next to it. The words Lv. N were engraved on the terminal.

Level N...?
It would seem that you need a special card to get into Area N.

Perhaps Area N had the highest security level in LABO. But it was the fires blazing just beyond that gate that kept them from freedom.

...Would it be possible to enter Area N and put out the fires?
Are you out of your mind!? That's way too dangerous! Even if you could put out the fires, you wouldn't be able to protect yourself from getting exposed to the lethal radiation levels in there.
You're right! Dammit...!

Watase tried putting his Procyon close to the gate--

...Wha!?

only for the reading to start shooting up astronomically.

'2406 mSv'!?
It almost went up by a thousand all at once-—!
It's too dangerous! Fall back!!
Y-yeah!

The group frantically ran away from the door. Just then, the Procyon's reading went back to normal.

Even if we could get past the gate, we'd have to face all of that...!
...If the gate's made of lead, then it should be able to completely block off radiation... So perhaps the inner walls and ceiling are damaged.

No matter how strong the gate was, there was always the possibility that there were cracks in other spots. Though they were invisible to the naked eye, there was atomic dust and radiation leaking through them--

...I see, so that's why the reading keeps on going up.
At any rate, this confirms that there's a melted down reactor on the other side of this gate.

An area of death, swirling with hellfire and radiation. If the area around the gate was that bad even when shut, then they could only imagine just how much radiation would engulf them if they opened it up.

(It really would be suicide to go into that place...)

Kazami continued as Watase held his breath in horror.

Be that as it may, we've now concluded our search of the inner ring, Captain. Let's assist with the search of the outer ring.
... Yeah.

The group nodded and ran off towards the outer ring.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Backdraft: 09/16/2030, 09:54

Eh, gently caress it, that last one was short, might as well go for a double.

You're not qualified to handle this, so just do what I tell you!
Oh come on, it's just smoke! I didn't take rescue workers for cowards!

♪ BGM: Achiever / Theme of Ena

:allears: I don't know exactly why, but Ukita just standing there off to the side with that expression on his face just cracks me the gently caress up. Poor bastard.

Ukita watched the two of them with a bewildered look on his face.

Wh-what happened!?
Moribe, what's all this commotion about!?
Ah, Lieutenant!

Another blue path. Who are we deciding between this time?

Oh, yeah, that's not even a contest.

But we don't know where the fire's coming from since there's a ton of rooms, so I was telling Ms. Tsubakiyama and Mr. Ukita to wait somewhere safe, but--
Don't be an idiot! If there's traces of a fire, then that's all the more reason why we should -all- be searching!
...So as you can see, neither of them is willing to compromise.

Watase thought for a second about who he should side with, and then--

Calm down, Teach! Think about it: it's too dangerous for an untrained civilian to go somewhere where there could be a fire raging, right!?
What was that!?
See? Our captain has amnesia and thus is no better than an amateur at the moment, and even -he's- agreeing with me! Just think with common sense already. We just simply can't let a civilian go with us to an area that could be on fire!
The hell are you two on about!? It's just a little smo--

But before Ena could say any more, Kazami sharply cut in.

Do you want to die, Ms. Tsubakiyama?
Huh...?
If you don't want to die, then please stop complaining and listen to us.

Ena instinctively gasped at Kazami's harsh words.

..I-I just wanted to help...
And I truly am grateful for that. I apologize for being harsh on you. But you can't take even the smallest of fires lightly. Please trust our judgment when it comes to disaster sites. Our mission is to ensure that everyone gets out of here in one piece. So please--

Kazami bowed her head with those words. Ena looked away from her uncomfortably.

All right... then I'll leave it up to the professionals.
Thank you very much.

Watase straightened his back with a crunch at those words.

So that means... it's our turn to shine, isn't it?
That's right, it's round one in your fight to get back into fighting shape. Perfect chance to see if you can reclaim your instincts.
Ms. Tsubakiyama, Mr. Ukita, please wait with Yuuri in the inner ring for us. We did not see any signs of a fire there, but please be cautious and remain aware of your surroundings, just as a precaution.
Very well, leave it to us.
Roger that. See you later.

After the rest of the group had finished wishing them luck, the rescue workers headed for the outer ring.

♪ BGM: LABO Security Lv. 2

This block had multiple doors lining the hallway on both sides.

You were right, it is a bit smoky--

He didn't see any traces of a fire at first glance, but the entire hallway was filled with thin smoke.

Hold on a second, is this facility's air conditioning not working?
It is for the most part, but there's some places where it's broken. Like here.
Most likely due to the effects of the fire.

Kazami looked around the block after saying this, then continued.

At any rate, there's something you need to be cautious of while searching this block, Captain.
What's that?
Please check each of the doors with your IRT scanner to make sure they're not hot before we go opening them. If a door ever shows up on the scanner as red or yellow, then make sure you do -not- open it for any reason.
Huh? Why's that?
It'll cause a 'backdraft' if you do. When a fire burns in a sealed-off room, it eventually consumes all the oxygen in that room and starts to smolder. So when the door to the place is opened, fresh air rapidly pours into the room and then-- Kaboom!!

We can't see any fire in this block, but we can see smoke. Which means it's possible that there's a fire smoldering in one of these rooms.
So if you don't carefully check the temperature... all us of could get blown away.
It's a real big responsibility. You sure you're up for it?

I don't know. Are we?

VOTING

Alright, we're at a decision point once again, and I'll just tell you outright that we're going to die if you gently caress this up. With that in mind, pick between Top, High, Middle, Low or Bottom for Watase, Jun and Kazami. Furthermore, remember what I said back in the Senses Sympathy Tutorial? I said "[w]hile setting Senses for other people is a very simple thought process, you sometimes need to really think about just what having a high Sense of yourself means in a certain situation", and this is a prime example. So when you vote, I want you to explain your vote for Watase. Answer the following question: "What do you think setting Watase's Sense of himself at that level will make him do?".

The thing is that there are multiple ways to answer that question. Alas, only one is right. Anyway, explaining your vote isn't required, I'll count it just the same if you don't, but it'll be very interesting to compare what you think will happen with what actually happens.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 20, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
We're still not really ready for this high paced rescue stuff, but time waits for no man, especially not Watase. I say High for Watase while putting Jun and Kazami at the very Top because they're the trained experts here.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's me, I'm the one person who found this LP from your link in the Political Machine thread. :v:

I say Watase should be low, because he still needs everything explained to him like a civilian. Jun and Kazami should be at the top for the same reason Logicblade said.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

Haifisch posted:

I say Watase should be low, because he still needs everything explained to him like a civilian. Jun and Kazami should be at the top for the same reason Logicblade said.
Exactly this. While there's a lot to be said for muscle memory, there's also a lot of conscious thought that goes into these situations, which Watase is obviously lacking the knowledge of right now. Let's continue following Jun and Tachibana like lost puppies.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Haifisch posted:

Pretty much this.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Count me in as well for a vote for this.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I'd put Watase at high, I get the feeling that having his self-esteem too low here is just going to get in the way of doing his job while putting it at the top might make him too rash. Agreed with putting the girls at the top.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

tiistai posted:

I'd put Watase at high, I get the feeling that having his self-esteem too low here is just going to get in the way of doing his job while putting it at the top might make him too rash. Agreed with putting the girls at the top.

I think you have a point. Watase has to trust past-Watase's good judgment in team members, on top of trusting his teammates themselves (if for no other reason than indecision is as good as death right now). Rate Watase high; rate his fellow firefighters even higher.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm gonna say Watase Top just cause I wanna see what happens.

Put the girls both on Middle so as not to interfere.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Haifisch posted:

It's me, I'm the one person who found this LP from your link in the Political Machine thread. :v:

:neckbeard: Yay! This means a lot more to me than it really should.

In other news, the vote currently stands at 4.25 for Watase (rounding down to 4), and 7.5 for Kazami and Jun (rounding up to 8).

EDIT: Actually, gently caress it, I'm calling the vote. Not like there's going to be a major shift anyway, what with a vote from now on only having 1/9th of an effect or less.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 21, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I started reading this LP and I'm sort of glad to get a Zero Escape fix after what happened to the VLR LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Mraagvpeine posted:

I started reading this LP and I'm sort of glad to get a Zero Escape fix after what happened to the VLR LP.

It's always a shame when LPs die. I don't blame people when it happens, but it's still a shame. I can no longer count the amount of LPs I was interested in that died before more than about five updates were made on my hands - and that's just those that died with less than about five updates! It's why I've developed this dogged determination to finish my LPs. There are people out there that are enjoying it, and god damnit, I feel like I owe it to them to give them a conclusion, especially since the games I've LPed recently are story-focused.

Of course, I then decided to put this idea to the test by deciding to LP a really loving big visual novel that will probably take me years to get through once my schedule slows to a more reasonable pace (I don't know how long I can keep this pace of basically an update per two days up, but so far, it's been going very smoothly). Update coming tomorrow, by the way.

Also, insert a joke about this game being about half Zero Escape fitting well with me being about half the LPer Fedule is here. Half-assed self-deprecating non-jokes wooooooo.

• Locked thread