Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Zesty posted:

I'm thinking about picking ESO up for the first time. How do the stealth mechanics of the Nightblade compare to WoW Rogues or GW2 Thieves?

The Nightblade doesn’t have unique stealth mechanics. Every class can stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I just found out through UESP that the nightblade class apparently uses the same shadow magic used in TESA:Shadowkey. Didn't know that. Neat.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

IMO the best stealth class in an MMO I've played was the DE Witches in Warhammer Online. You became literally invisible and then "de cloak" to do massive burst damage before moving away to go into stealth again. It meant you had to position yourself well and be quick to kill and sneak away before the tanks or other DPS noticed you. If you got caught out of stealth, you were still capable of doing a lot of damage, but your biggest weapon was the surprise and delay to react before you could melt away.

You also synergized well with a ranged DPS partner to distract the enemy while you nailed them.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

The Nightblade doesn’t have unique stealth mechanics. Every class can stealth.

Uh, what? Are you implying that having a skill that you can use on demand to disengage from a fight isn't a unique stealth mechanic?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Uh, what? Are you implying that having a skill that you can use on demand to disengage from a fight isn't a unique stealth mechanic?

No, I’m implying that the stealth/sneaking mechanic is available to every class and not restricted to the rogue/thief class like in WoW or GW2.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Vampires can stealth as fast as they can jog and they turn invisible when they sprint so any class can be a stealthy ganker class, but nightblades still have some of the best up-front burst damage for opening up on someone out of stealth or invis. They're the only class that has passive bonuses for it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Reclaimer posted:

Vampires can stealth as fast as they can jog and they turn invisible when they sprint so any class can be a stealthy ganker class, but nightblades still have some of the best up-front burst damage for opening up on someone out of stealth or invis. They're the only class that has passive bonuses for it.

Ah yeah. You might say they have unique stealth mechanics. Great. :)

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

The Stadia version of the game has a bug where if you join a large group like in PvP or Trials, it kicks you out of the game with a "318 error", vaguely accuses you of being a lovely person, and then you're locked out of your account for like 30 mins.

More quality engineering from Zenimax. :geno:

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

mrmcd posted:

The Stadia version of the game has a bug where if you join a large group like in PvP or Trials, it kicks you out of the game with a "318 error", vaguely accuses you of being a lovely person, and then you're locked out of your account for like 30 mins.

More quality engineering from Zenimax. :geno:

Sounds like this is working as intended.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Eh. Game feels like it's trying to nickel and dime me and all it's given me in return is dated fetch quests.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Lmao the hits just keep on coming, apparently one of the ZOS affiliated streamers has been doxxing people for disagreeing with him, and the list of people doxxed includes a minor.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Video games were a mistake

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Scyantific posted:

Lmao the hits just keep on coming, apparently one of the ZOS affiliated streamers has been doxxing people for disagreeing with him, and the list of people doxxed includes a minor.

He got busted incredibly quick and, amusingly, the Zenimax announcement actually has more details than the gossip:

He was keeping a doxx .xls!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Apparently this has been a thing for a while now with only minor warnings from ZOS, and on top of that there are supposedly other people on the stream team who have been subtly doxxing people as well.

omg chael crash posted:

Video gamesStreamers were a mistake
FTFY

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Give people an inch of power or prestige and a private discord and this is the result :brainworms:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The bright side is these people are catastrophically loving stupid and think Discord is a safe private secure place to share doxxing, cheating, *ism, and general shittery.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I really want the Merida motif ugh

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Just bought this with the steam sale and it included the Morrowind DLC. Is there a way to start with the original campaign instead of starting in Seyda Neen? The last Elder Scrolls game I played was Morrowind and unless there's a really good reason not to, I'd prefer to start anywhere except there.

Is that nightblade tank the OP uses still viable?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

Just bought this with the steam sale and it included the Morrowind DLC. Is there a way to start with the original campaign instead of starting in Seyda Neen? The last Elder Scrolls game I played was Morrowind and unless there's a really good reason not to, I'd prefer to start anywhere except there.

You can basically just "leave" Morrowind whenever you want to and go do the original story.

I would also say play anything besides tank as a main.

Tanks are alts that you use for dungeons. Tanks are not main characters because the game expects you to actually do damage - and tanks are just horrifically bad DPS.

Pick a solo build from Alacast and go hogwild:

https://alcasthq.com/eso-how-to-solo-play-guide-elder-scrolls-online/

Once you're cp 160 and want to run vet content or trials then you can respec to a whatever you want - but I urge you to not main a tank ever. My tank is not used for anything except vet dungeons because lol dps.

Edit: To be clear, you CAN make a tank that does decent damage, you can deal with it using different sets for solo vs dungeons etc but it's a hassle that I don't think is worth it given that CP is account wide, gear is account bound and getting a dedicated tank char to lvl 50 doesn't take more than a week if you are grinding xp.

In short, everyone should have a tank alt for instant dungeons - but don't try to actually play the game with one.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 29, 2020

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

It is forbidden to level as a tank.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Lima posted:

It is forbidden to level as a tank.

Level a tank alt doing daily dungoens and afking on dolemns.

A lvl 10 fortified brass training set will work well enough to tank all the way to level 50....you'll hit like a wet noodle but who cares.

Do pvp dailies to get warhorn - sure you won't kill anyone but you'll frustrate them....

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

FileNotFound posted:

Level a tank alt doing daily dungoens and afking on dolemns.

A lvl 10 fortified brass training set will work well enough to tank all the way to level 50....you'll hit like a wet noodle but who cares.

Do pvp dailies to get warhorn - sure you won't kill anyone but you'll frustrate them....

It is a good feeling when people run away from your tank in PvP because they just get sick of you tanking them. :buddy:

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

It is a good feeling when people run away from your tank in PvP because they just get sick of you tanking them. :buddy:

As a DK....apply a light armor outfit. Barswap to staff. They think you're some pansy in cloth - not a 46k hp 30k armor behemoth that can self heal 33% over and over...

When they realize it and try to run away - yank them back with unrelenting grip. It never gets old. (Correction: Doesn't get old for you. Gets old for them really fast)

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 29, 2020

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

FileNotFound posted:

As a DK....apply a light armor outfit. Barswap to staff. They think you're some pansy in cloth - not a 46k hp 30k armor behemoth that can self heal 33% over and over...

When they realize it and try to run away - yank them back with unrelenting grip. It never gets old. (Correction: Doesn't get old for you. Gets old for them really fast)

Yes! The Outfit system is amazing for this!

When I fall for this on my DPS toons I resort to jumping up and down and bashing until we get sick of each other/steamrolled by Team 3.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I'm just about to hit 160 on my EU stamplar that has been abandoned since launch. Anyone on PC EU that can craft the Stuhns set in the new zone?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

Hi yes, OP is out of date and unlikely to be updated anytime soon. Feel free to join the discord linked in said OP though and ask your questions there.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I just picked this up, playing with my wife mostly, we're a stamplar and magicka DK on our first characters.

We both have about 5000 crowns, any suggestions on what to buy with that?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I just picked this up, playing with my wife mostly, we're a stamplar and magicka DK on our first characters.

We both have about 5000 crowns, any suggestions on what to buy with that?

Wait for a sale and get one of the banker assistants.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

SplitSoul posted:

Wait for a sale and get one of the banker assistants.

How often do they go on sale? I've never seen one, and paid the 5k but I think it was totally worth it. I went back and forth on merchant and banker, and I'm very glad I settled on banker in the end.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Doctor Zero posted:

How often do they go on sale? I've never seen one, and paid the 5k but I think it was totally worth it. I went back and forth on merchant and banker, and I'm very glad I settled on banker in the end.

Not sure, I'd say maybe once or twice a year. I believe they were 3,500 on sale.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Thanks! Can you trade between characters on one acct? I was going to roll a new guy for crafting.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Thanks! Can you trade between characters on one acct? I was going to roll a new guy for crafting.

Your bank and crafting bag if you sub are shared between all your characters. You can't mail yourself though.

There's plenty of skill points for you to max all skills so you don't really need a crafting alt. They can be profitable to have later on.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Hello Sailor posted:

If you buy Summerset or Elsweyr you'll start in one of those place respectively, otherwise no.

The Morrowind start is pretty cool though, and you can do the original storyline by porting to the first city of your alliance (look them up).

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Private Speech posted:

The Morrowind start is pretty cool though, and you can do the original storyline by porting to the first city of your alliance (look them up).

I just made so many new characters in the original Morrowind back in the day that I'm still suffering from whatever the opposite of nostalgia is (burnout?) from seeing Seyda Neen. I looked up the Ebonheart starting zone on the wiki, took the boat over, and found it much more palatable.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

FileNotFound posted:

Tanks are alts that you use for dungeons. Tanks are not main characters because the game expects you to actually do damage - and tanks are just horrifically bad DPS.

I might be opening a can of worms here but I've never been able wrap my mind around why making something as elementary as "killing poo poo in an ARPG" the exclusive purview of specialized builds is considered a fun or good design.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Jabarto posted:

I might be opening a can of worms here but I've never been able wrap my mind around why making something as elementary as "killing poo poo in an ARPG" the exclusive purview of specialized builds is considered a fun or good design.

Well, if you think about it tanks are fine because they can kill anything that they wish to, once they set their minds to it and spend 15-minutes doing so.

It is a perfectly fine compromise in balancing the game overall, and I would rather have a PvE role DPS-gimped than have PvP balance revolve around raid content concerns.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Jabarto posted:

Arent we specifically talking about tanks here? Ie. speccing a character to take damage instead of doing damage? I understand the complaint in general, but it seems misplaced here. It'd be like complaining about killing things slowly because you choose to only have healing skills slotted and auto-attacking.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

valuum posted:

Arent we specifically talking about tanks here? Ie. speccing a character to take damage instead of doing damage? I understand the complaint in general, but it seems misplaced here. It'd be like complaining about killing things slowly because you choose to only have healing skills slotted and auto-attacking.

Yeah, it is a weird thing. Tanks are the weird PvE niche spec that players intentionally have to build to gimp their DPS. It is not a lack of balance in the game at all. Tankiness for DPS seems to be a mix of easily accessed, base game skills, and knowing how to dodge/interrupt and position oneself. (I am saying this as someone who leveled to 50 for the first time on a trial build tank. It was dumb but very possible.)

Things like being a trial spec'd tank in basic purple gear for normal dungeon content is overkill.
Seriously, even as a terrible player, I can stand there through boss "one-shot" attacks if the mechanic is just a massive DPS dump and not outright hit = DEAD TOON.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Things like being a trial spec'd tank in basic purple gear for normal dungeon content is overkill.
Seriously, even as a terrible player, I can stand there through boss "one-shot" attacks if the mechanic is just a massive DPS dump and not outright hit = DEAD TOON.

I mean yeah you can run the non DLC normals with 4 DPS who have some rudimentary self heals and a decent level of competence as a premade and we've been doing that for super fast runs.

For pubbies though, I like rolling a immortal/ebon geared tank because you can't die and don't need pubbies to keep you alive once you get good at shield and self heal juggling.

The benefit of running an overkill tank in a pubbie group is that you are basically wipe immune outside of some funky DLC mechanics, in general you can res the entire team over and over as needed.

If I switched to 2 heavy dps sets I could probably push my dps from a pathetic 6k to probably 12k - but I'd rather have hilarious levels of survivability in unpredictable groups instead.

Edit: Worth mentioning is that tanks are super easy to gear up. Tank gear drops as commonly as all others as far as I can tell, but any trial will have 2 tanks vs 8 dps who have zero interest in tank gear and will give it to you to gear an alt.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

FileNotFound posted:

I mean yeah you can run the non DLC normals with 4 DPS who have some rudimentary self heals and a decent level of competence as a premade and we've been doing that for super fast runs.

For pubbies though, I like rolling a immortal/ebon geared tank because you can't die and don't need pubbies to keep you alive once you get good at shield and self heal juggling.

The benefit of running an overkill tank in a pubbie group is that you are basically wipe immune outside of some funky DLC mechanics, in general you can res the entire team over and over as needed.

If I switched to 2 heavy dps sets I could probably push my dps from a pathetic 6k to probably 12k - but I'd rather have hilarious levels of survivability in unpredictable groups instead.

Edit: Worth mentioning is that tanks are super easy to gear up. Tank gear drops as commonly as all others as far as I can tell, but any trial will have 2 tanks vs 8 dps who have zero interest in tank gear and will give it to you to gear an alt.

For sure on all points! When I had a Necro tank the mass rez ulti was my Pubbie Wipe Redo button that got used often enough to slot it. After the first pull or two you see who the problem children are, if the healer is a fake or not, and how much weight you are pulling. Good times in its own way.