Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
They also confirmed that the Q4 story DLC is set wholly in the Deadlands, Dagon's Oblivion realm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Sky Shadowing posted:

They also confirmed that the Q4 story DLC is set wholly in the Deadlands, Dagon's Oblivion realm.

Thats one way around the shrinking "unexplored" areas in the world map.

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020
I played this game a long time ago (around launch) and I'm thinking about picking it up again. My character is pretty low level. Is there any harm to deleting and rolling fresh? I know some games like Guild Wars 2 gift items to your account based on days since they were created.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Mothmansplainer posted:

I played this game a long time ago (around launch) and I'm thinking about picking it up again. My character is pretty low level. Is there any harm to deleting and rolling fresh? I know some games like Guild Wars 2 gift items to your account based on days since they were created.

There's really no need to delete. Just create a new character.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
I’m only like CP 50 or something but what would the companion system be helpful for? Systems like that are great in games where content is very challenging to do solo, especially old games built around grouping (eg trusts in ffxi) but it feels like most overworld stuff was pretty easy to solo in this game.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Patch notes for U29 out https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7093749/

@Dori you're gonna love this one

quote:

Continuous Attacks: This passive now always grants Major Gallop when purchased at rank 1 or 2."'

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wait, so they moved Major Gallop from Rapid Maneuvers to a passive skill?

If I'm reading that right this essentially means horsies go fast for everyone with a single skill point. If so that's great. If I'm reading it wrong and it's only on the same condition as the rest of Continuous Attack (10 minutes after you capture a Lumber Mill, Farm, Mine, or Keep) then people are going to complain sooo much.

Also houses are now direct one way wayshrines, as opposed to one way wayshrines with an extra loading screen.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Adept Rider gives major gallop now? Ok, I guess...

CP changes are great at a glance, armor changes are dumb AF. Get hosed Orc mains, Dunmer master race gonna master both stam and mag bby....

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fast mounts for everyone, it does work permanently and everywhere!

Also, possibly the most underrated thing in there:

quote:

Reduced load times when moving between zones.
I don't know how load times usually compare between PTS and live, but this was quite noticeable for me, much less than half the time. Within zone load times were pretty similar to live, so I hope this is real.

CP: Some of the prereq chains don't make much sense, but there are some incredibly powerful things in there. I have no clue if it's balanced well, but it is very much a conceptual improvement over the current system.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 28, 2021

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
I have 52K Mag 25.5K HP, and 12K stam on a Breton Magicka Nightblade with CP allocated...this is in overland and not Cyrodiil. These CP changes are amazing.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I'm super exited to have progression on my high cp account, I'll probably play regularly again.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like that I can use hypnotize on npcs so they talk to me as a stage 4 vampire, but wow it is not implemented well at all. I have to spam it and be in a very specific angle/direction or it doesn't work. dumb!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

DoriDori240 posted:

I have 52K Mag 25.5K HP, and 12K stam on a Breton Magicka Nightblade with CP allocated...this is in overland and not Cyrodiil. These CP changes are amazing.

This is loving stupid; what is it with Gilliam and Wheeler's hardon for stat inflation, particularly when it comes to HP? Are they that afraid of the reddit crowd complaining that they're getting one-shot by overland mobs? Someone in another discord was posting screenshots of pvp setups with ridiculous amounts of HP.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Scyantific posted:

This is loving stupid; what is it with Gilliam and Wheeler's hardon for stat inflation, particularly when it comes to HP? Are they that afraid of the reddit crowd complaining that they're getting one-shot by overland mobs? Someone in another discord was posting screenshots of pvp setups with ridiculous amounts of HP.

I dunno, i think it is too much raw stat, but mitigation from CP seems otherwise way lower. Dandy said his shield strenth on his magsorc pvp setup is much lower. Alas, ill wait for the neck beards to figure that poo poo out, midyear mayhem starts tomorrow....

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Scyantific posted:

Continuous Attacks: This passive now always grants Major Gallop when purchased at rank 1 or 2.

Wah, I didnt expect them to have the sense to undo the bloody terrible change they did earlier. Guess I can start playing again, zoom zoom.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Just did a couple hours in Imperial City and had an absolute blast playing as a little rat scrounging around for my pve objectives and trying not to stumble into an enemy deathball. I'm never going to care enough to actually get good at pvp in this game, but I am having enough fun that I'd like to respec into something a bit more effective against players so that I can stand a better chance. I don't want to be a complete anchor around my team's neck

Any pvp suggestions for a stamnecro?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is this event worth messing with at all?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well it's going to push me to level one of my characters to RR 10 and never do pvp again.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If you don't like PVP, go to cyrodill, do the intro quest, take a scouting mission, run out with a horse, click the button write a report, then run into enemy players so they kill you and you teleport back to the base.
That's like 10 minutes and gets you 2 of 3 daily tickets, which is enough for the pet rock fragments and the first morph thing.

If PVP frustrates you don't bother with Imperial city. You will die repeatedly while trying to do the quests.

If you have multiple characters and have never PVPed do the cyro thing with a different character each day, and then by the end you'll have enough alliance rank that you'll be able to get the perma fast horse passive skill when the next patch hits in a month.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Also make sure to get the Daily Rewards Alliance points which also increase your rank.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Alright thanks for the tips. I just never really engaged in pvp in this game so I wasn't sure. I waited like 30mins in queue to get into a fight and then did a few intro missions, until Sheogoroth showed up in the base and I didn't know doing his quest takes you out so I just quit for the night instead of waiting another half hour to actually play again. RIP!

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Alright thanks for the tips. I just never really engaged in pvp in this game so I wasn't sure. I waited like 30mins in queue to get into a fight and then did a few intro missions, until Sheogoroth showed up in the base and I didn't know doing his quest takes you out so I just quit for the night instead of waiting another half hour to actually play again. RIP!
There are different instances you can choose for PVP. If you're just going in for the event it doesn't matter which one you're going into, so just look through them and pick the one that doesn't have a lock for your alliance and you won't have to queue for more than a minute.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
The Nobles District story quest sucks so bad. All the other ones you can sort of sneak around and get them done even in deep enemy territory. This one requires you to have long drawn out fights with waves of daedra way out in the open where roaming death-balls of enemy players will spot you and gank you.

enjoy the 2 tel var stones. you really earned it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

First mistake was doing the quest in the middle of the one PvP event that happens every year. The sweats are out in force looking for footage for their montages. Best to wait until the event is over, IMHO.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Scyantific posted:

First mistake was doing the quest in the middle of the one PvP event that happens every year. The sweats are out in force looking for footage for their montages. Best to wait until the event is over, IMHO.

I actually logged back in the next day and my faction was in control of the whole city for some reason, so I finished all the remaining Imperial City story quests really easily.

I really like Imperial City, especially during this event, but I don't think I'll ever come back now that I've done the pve quests. I don't really have any motivation to show up and do pvp for points or whatever, but learning the mind game meta was fun. My experience really turned around when I learned to never run away from an enemy player, and always sprint towards them if I know they saw me. 9/10 times they assume I know what I'm doing and flee from me. 1/10 times i get loving destroyed lmao

Xinder fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 13, 2021

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So is the pvp in ESO really that bad or is it just thread hyperbole?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Sedisp posted:

I've seen worse, but ... yeah it's pretty bad.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I’m not really versed in mmo pvp so my opinion isn’t worth much. It seems like it requires way too much attention to the meta for me to even try to get good at. I probably have a k:d of like 1:10 just from running with allied death balls and/or getting lucky hits in.

Went the wrong way in the sewers once and panic attacked an enemy player as they rounded a corner to get 3k tel var stones. I almost felt bad for that guy...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sedisp posted:

There are only very specific builds that are valid and actually work, otherwise you'll just slam your head into someone and plink away 1 or 2 HP and then die.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
No procset test has done nothing to fix lag, and I mean nothing at all. This is still an issue with the client side vs server side calculations and Zenimax cheaping out on their anti-cheating software.

That said....a lot of people who were overly reliant on the proc set carry are either not playing or dying a lot. 2h/S&B Magplar has been decent, even in 5L/2H. Heavy Armor Stamden and Stamcro, as well as StamDK followed by Stamblade are all extremely strong without procs, and they were already the strongest with procs. Stamsorcs are pretty weak without the proc carry, and the 3 Stamplars left on the server are..like...still there doing stuff. After all 6 stam classes, Magsorc is really the only decent performer. The rest of the mag classes are pretty gimped all around in PVP (without procs).

Basically...the PVP in this game will continue to be poo poo unless Zenimax takes a really hard look at heavy armor and the interaction of the Malacath Mythic and proc sets.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There are 4 stamplars on the server now. :colbert:

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Mr Hootington posted:

There are 4 stamplars on the server now. :colbert:

Godspeed

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

DoriDori240 posted:

No procset test has done nothing to fix lag, and I mean nothing at all. This is still an issue with the client side vs server side calculations and Zenimax cheaping out on their anti-cheating software.

A shame, but it was expected anyway. Have fun making GBS threads on the idiots who can't play without procs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sedisp posted:

It's got neat ideas but it's not fun

LogRoller
Feb 18, 2003
Your Humble Servant

Sedisp posted:

I personally like Cyrodiil apart from the ancient legion of technical issues relating to combat lag (and the test conditions have not fixed that IMO). I don't do a ton of BGs because you really need a coordinated BG group to be effective and we're not there yet, but if you play Cyrodiil on a no-CP campaign it gives you a lot of flexibility in how you want to play your toon because it's all basically just gear/skill changes, so you can switch between PvP and PvE easily. If you find a regular group with a knowledgeable lead, you can get a lot done and have fun in the process. However, to be good it does require a load of research and keeping up with set changes and where the meta is sitting. It's also not really a solo activity at all unless you're a gankblade or a seasoned 1vXer.

I'm loving the test right now because I main magplar. I'm killing players I was unable to touch before with these set limits. Not easily, mind you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
imagine dark age of camelot, but even more of a clusterfuck, and also not fun

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
More test observations -

Performance - Grey Host was playable fine yesterday during the day. Evening was honestly the worst skill lag/position de-synch I have ever seen in Cyrodiil. I was in Blackreach, and no one was pop locked. This is overwhelmingly WORSE around NPCs. Open field fights generally are ok, even ambushed a scroll runner with a dozen people around them and skills went off fine. Anywhere near a resource flag or keep, then it was GG. I am not saying that this is the only issue, but I started noticing it the first night of the test. Absolute big brain idea of adding cross healing back in may not be affecting server calculation loads (according to Zenimax) but it sure makes it very hard to play solo/duo and you see your regen or ward go to some CP300 who is light attacking a cloud in the corner.

Zergs - if anything, these tests are causing factions to stack even more than in mid-year-mayhem. No CP is an absolute dogshit campaign right now, and it sucks as that is my preference for the test. EP has been faction stacking and night capping for...well months, and now some XBOX AD guild switched to PC and they are giving EP a run for their money. The only campaign I can run EP on is Blackreach, which is fine I guess. Unfortunately Fengrush had to stream zerg in the middle of the day yesterday, which may be the first time in ages DC has held the map in Ravenwatch that I have seen. I am sure they got gate camped shortly after. Didn't check.

Proc Users - lul get hosed. A lot of people are either not playing the test, or they are just falling over. Good times. Would be GG if Zenimax killed the 30 day no-CP and made it no proc and no crosshealing. I'd never leave that campaign even if my faction were gated 24/7.

Class Balance - All stam classes continue to over perform, as well as magsorcs. Glad I got GO on my magblade during MYM, because that class is a hollow shell of what it was. HP based heals and heavy armor. With procs or without, that is still the king of the hill and balance will be worse next patch. Solo magplar and magcro is what I have been playing, and it is fun, but rough.

Positives - Actual combat is great, when it works. You have to work for kills, yes, but you can actually 1VX/small scale more often than not. Out sets are limited, but honestly most of them were meta at one time or another prior to Harrowstorm procolaypse (and there were procs before, looking at you viper/tremorscale/S&B).

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura
Oh, out of Cyrodiil, performance in the game is fine. I have had great performance in trials and solo arenas, as well as high pop towns in the evenings. Solid ping, solid FPS. So if you don't give a poo poo about PVP, game is pretty solid right now. Unfortunately I would like to, you know, do both.

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

I'm currently playing ESO really just to slow roll solo PVE content and for dress up, and I've got too much going on health-wise and mentally to try to keep track of Top Builds and Playing Great. I just hit CP160 on my stamina necro yesterday (and had previously played so that my jump was lvl 50 to CP150), and I've been looking for a good easy solo pve build to work towards. I've seen a lot of comments online that say that PVE content is a joke and as long as I can push some buttons I'll do alright, but right now I feel stupid and I'm kind of struggling to pull my weight in normal dungeon pledges, and while doing delves people just blow past me and evaporate poo poo constantly while I either plink away on my bow or hit things with daggers. I know a lot of that is my gear; I'm just in a total mishmash of like level 49-50 and CP 50 to 160 gear, and the fact that I'm still leveling individual skills and so I have on my bars 1 or 2 brand new skills to level at any given time. I also know I'll get a little better once I can do some full crafted sets, before trying to jump in and farm actually good gear.

Like, I've read enough to know that I probably should pick magsorc and do that easy pet and lightning build I see so many people nuke poo poo with, but I really have a thing for necromancers and being a sneaky thief. I'm trying to achieve a good balance of "Deals with poo poo fast" and "Is Easy" with "I enjoy pushing these buttons and find the abilities aesthetically pleasing to use." I don't have enough skill points yet to really just go ham on putting things on my bars and testing things out yet (without paying for a skill respec each time). Can someone just confirm for me whether these two guides/sites are good baselines to build off of, or if one or the other is total trash? The HtM build looks fun but relies on abilities and sets that I don't have access to just quite yet. I seem to remember a lot of people disliking Altcast the last time I played, but I can't remember if it's because they're actually just bad or if it's for some other reason. I'd like to have something to work towards though that's based on current information (and isn't like an ancient build that isn't actually relevant anymore) and to just give myself a trajectory for improvement.

https://www.hacktheminotaur.com/builds/eso-stamina-necromancer-pve-one-bar-dps-defiler
https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-stamina-necromancer-build-pve/

Edit: I should add that I have some disabilities that make me very much not inclined to worry about constant bar swapping or attack weaving. I know I'll never be a really good player, I'm just trying to make sure I can go through solo content with minimal struggle

Aceofblue fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Aceofblue posted:

I don't have enough skill points yet to really just go ham on putting things on my bars and testing things out yet (without paying for a skill respec each time).

I'm not good enough at this to offer feedback on those or any builds, but:

I'll say if you're on PC you can download the PTS build which is a test build of the game where nothing stays, and play around with changes there. You can make a new character that is max level and has access to any gear so you can see which things make a difference and maybe even try different classes you may be curious about.

Also, there are changes to the CP system coming in two weeks that will change the power curve. Top players are complaining about nerfs and how it increases the grind, but for you I think it'll raise the floor and help out a bit.

Also

quote:

I'm just in a total mishmash of like level 49-50 and CP 50 to 160 gear
I hope at least your weapons are 160, because yeah that'll make a difference. You should get a matching set or two, any kind of matching set at 160 will be a boost even if it's not a particularly good one.