Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Are there fighter's guild dailies? I notice that there are blue arrows everywhere but I don't know what town to go look. I spent an hour in a graveyard killing skeletons and I got from 4.8 to 5.1. That's pretty goddamn bad. I need to be level 10 to fly and explode at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Yep! OT has FG and MG dailies! Do them! Do them to get motifs that are new and expensive as gently caress and give them to me!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

OT = one tamriel? That's the name of the patch? Where can I pick up a fighter's guild daily? Not at the vrukel guard's fighter's guild?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Sorry yes, as of One Tamriel, all guild houses in every city they're in should contain daily quests via the blueish pip. I dunno if they unlock at a certain level or not, however.

Mage's Guild quests are of the "do a specific delve somewhere in the world, and get an item" sort, and Fighter's Guild are of the "go to this zone and kill the dolmens there" sort in my experience.

Aramek fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 13, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Maybe they're not visible from outside, I mean I didn't peek in to check.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Oh yes, they're inside the hall. It's the same NPC that grants the quest, so you can get it/turn it in in any of them.

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

Can I get an invite on @Kenby when someone gets a chance?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

Mounts all play the same. I've been cruising on my 10k gold cheapo poo poo-horse this whole time and it doesn't matter since he's galloping at top speed. Also mounts get cosmetic upgrades the more you train them so he's got a sweet battle helmet on. drat wouldn't it be funny if they released horse armor DLC for the first time since Oblivion?

All soul gems are large now so you might as well sell anything not Grand.

There are still some non-grands secreted throughout the world as set dressing. I've found a few more. I was more wondering whether it was like the single players elder scrolls games where you could waste a grand gem by filling it with a petty soul, or are all souls grand now?

Krinkle posted:

Maybe they're not visible from outside, I mean I didn't peek in to check.

I'm not seeing them either. I noticed the last passive in the fighters guild tree allows you to do "bounties" so maybe those are the dailies? Seems kinda stupid since the entire reason I want to do them is to raise my fighters guild rank. But maybe those are some other thing I dunno.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

As far as I know, all souls are grand and there are no lesser souls, I'm not even sure if you can fill the lesser gems if you have them still.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not seeing them either. I noticed the last passive in the fighters guild tree allows you to do "bounties" so maybe those are the dailies? Seems kinda stupid since the entire reason I want to do them is to raise my fighters guild rank. But maybe those are some other thing I dunno.

Do you have to finish the fighter's guild questline before they show up? I only get the blue arrows to the crafting board outside.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Fighters guild rank ONLY increases by killing undead and daedra. 1exp per kill. Doing FG quests will not raise FG rank, except for the daedra and undead you kill while doing them.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

eSporks posted:

Fighters guild rank ONLY increases by killing undead and daedra. 1exp per kill. Doing FG quests will not raise FG rank, except for the daedra and undead you kill while doing them.

Actually the dailies were designed to do that.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Did they add anything to help speed along Undaunted?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Scyantific posted:

Actually the dailies were designed to do that.
Weird. I trust you, but I don't think they updated the tooltip then.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
You can always grind Dolmen for a bit, I got two levels yesterday. I just also wanted to kill myself after an hour but that's to be expected.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
So I've made it to lvl 10 and the game is overall pretty fun, but I can't get over how painfully easy it is. I soloed a "public group dungeon" earlier today without any problems.

Is there any sort of difficulty ramp up?

No.Mercy
Oct 4, 2011

mitztronic posted:

So I've made it to lvl 10 and the game is overall pretty fun, but I can't get over how painfully easy it is. I soloed a "public group dungeon" earlier today without any problems.

yes

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

mitztronic posted:

Well, the way scaling works now, you get less of a "scale-boost" as you level up. You'll have more skills and passives to even it out. Once you get higher up the CPs it gets easier again, as stuff scales to CP 160.

(That said, the questing remains easy throughout)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If you're looking to farm skulls without the hassle of dealing with pubbies inside delves swarming bosses the moment they spawn, do group dungeons or maelstrom arena. Instanced stuff still drops the skulls without a problem.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

Yeah, they've doubled the quest givers. Three pledges in a day, plus the solo delve daily.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I'm kind of interested in playing this game, and was wondering about a few things:

RESPECS
1a- is there a limit? Is there a cost?
1b - Can you ultimately gently caress up a character (See: POE) and/or make them extremely sub-par with a few bad stat-point allocation decisions?
1c - can you respec both ability/skill points and stat points?

TWO-MAN CONTENT. -- I might be starting this w/ my friend and we would be duo-ing a lot of content.
2a - what sort of content would we be locked out of?
2b - how are quests? some MMOs are substantially more friendly to duo-ing and quest completion than others
2c - if we have to collect 50 bear asses, will we be stealing quest items from each other?
2d - is there any two-man specific content? dungeons? bosses?

LOOT AND GRINDING
3a - is grinding the best way to get xp, or can you level up quicker through quest completion or crafting?
3b - how much of a gear treadmill is there currently? Can I kill 'that baddie over there' with my stick, or will I need to farm firebeetles and mudcrabs for hours in order to get a +1 stick in order to farm the larger_than_average_mudcrabs for hours before they finally drop the +2 stick so I can finally go back to 'that baddie over there' and start grinding him for hours before he drops his +3 stick ?
3c - is crafting armor a thing? is it worthwhile? is it a stepping stone?

thanks in advance.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

LordAdakos posted:

I'm kind of interested in playing this game, and was wondering about a few things:

RESPECS
1a- is there a limit? Is there a cost?
1b - Can you ultimately gently caress up a character (See: POE) and/or make them extremely sub-par with a few bad stat-point allocation decisions?
1c - can you respec both ability/skill points and stat points?

TWO-MAN CONTENT. -- I might be starting this w/ my friend and we would be duo-ing a lot of content.
2a - what sort of content would we be locked out of?
2b - how are quests? some MMOs are substantially more friendly to duo-ing and quest completion than others
2c - if we have to collect 50 bear asses, will we be stealing quest items from each other?
2d - is there any two-man specific content? dungeons? bosses?

LOOT AND GRINDING
3a - is grinding the best way to get xp, or can you level up quicker through quest completion or crafting?
3b - how much of a gear treadmill is there currently? Can I kill 'that baddie over there' with my stick, or will I need to farm firebeetles and mudcrabs for hours in order to get a +1 stick in order to farm the larger_than_average_mudcrabs for hours before they finally drop the +2 stick so I can finally go back to 'that baddie over there' and start grinding him for hours before he drops his +3 stick ?
3c - is crafting armor a thing? is it worthwhile? is it a stepping stone?

thanks in advance.
  • No limit, cost is 50g per USED point. If you have 200 points and only use 100, you'll only be charged for the 100 that you have allocated.
  • Not really no, unless you're big against purchasing a race-change with ZOS funbux.
  • You can reset Attribute Points and Skill Points
  • You won't be locked out of any content. The main quest and fighter's/mages' guild stuff is solo instanced tho, as is Maelstrom Arena
  • Questing is ok. They've made improvements to the phasing system to make grouping and questing easier.
  • Quite the opposite. You'd be helping each other out.
  • No not really, most content is either solo or 4-man.
  • Grinding and Questing both give good exp. Crafting does not.
  • As far as endgame content goes, there is a pretty significant gear grind if you want to be able to do the hard content.
  • Armor crafting is a thing and a big one at that. It's both worthwhile and a stepping stone.

NeurosisHead posted:

You mean aside from the onslaught of new achievements that they added with all the new "veteran" dungeons?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

quote:

Help Me With Stam Sorc

Ok I held off on this because I couldn't phrase it right.

First off, anything in Battlemaster's Corner is obsolete garbage, ignore it.

Second, and fair trigger warning here, Two-Hander is obsolete when it comes to PvE with Stam Sorc. The main appeal it has is Momentum/Rally and that takes a long time to unlock at rank 42, plus with the changes to Surge, it's less worthwhile now that Wrecking Blow doesn't give gigantic heals.

So what do you run? Dual Wield. Not only does it give more weapon damage, it also opens up an additional item for set building, and now it comes with two heals very early in the tree. And contrary to what people say, you DO NOT need Maelstrom weapons to pull good DPS. I ran Agility stuff for DW and still kept up with the DPS of other people who ran at least one Maelstrom item.

So quick and dirty, here's what you do.

Levels 1-15
-Run dual one-handed weapons, start working on that DW skill line.
-Run all Medium armor
-Get both Twin Slashes and Flurry from the DW tree. Level these up and morph them to Blood Craze and Bloodthirst, respectively. Now you have heals to sustain you until you unlock Surge.
-Speaking of surge, make sure you level up the Storm Calling tree as fast as you can. Get Lightning Form from that tree, and level it up. Morph to Hurricane when it's leveled, probably the most brutal PBAoE in your arsenal, and probably the game.
-Begin leveling up Dark Magic and Daedric Summoning as well, for the passives and the skills Dark Exchange and Bound Armor.
-Start working on leveling Fighter's Guild as well for both Expert Hunter and Trap Beast.

At level 15, get yourself a bow and start working on that too.

Eventually you'll want to have your skills set up like this:
Flurry -> Rapid Strikes
Twin Slashes -> Rending Slashes
Lightning Form -> Hurricane
Poison Arrow -> Poison Injection
Volley -> Endless Hail
Surge -> Critical Surge
Bound Armor -> Bound Armaments
Dark Exchange -> Dark Deal
Trap Beast -> Rearming Trap
Whirlwind -> Steel Tornado
Evasion -> Shuffle
Expert Hunter -> Camouflaged Hunter

Ultimates:
Dawnbreaker -> Flawless Dawnbreaker for PvE, Dawnbreaker of Smiting for PvP
Lacerate -> Rend
Negate Magic -> Absorption Field
Overload -> Energy Overload (PRO-TIP: Activating Overload opens up a third skill bar that you can use, just slot whatever skills you want in that bar when you have Overload active)
Summon Storm Atronach -> Greater Storm Atronach

Your bars should look like this:
Bar 1 (DW): Rapid Strikes, Rending Slashes, Rearming Trap, Camo Hunter, Bound Armaments, U: Rend or Dawnbreaker
Bar 2 (Bow): Poison Injection, Endless Hail, Hurricane, Critical Surge, Bound Armaments, U: Energy Overload

Overload Additional Bar: Dark Deal, Razor Caltrops, Shuffle, Critical Surge, Bound Armaments

Dump all your attribute points into Stamina.

Once you have most of those skills unlocked and Surge unlocked, the constant ticks of damage from Volley, Hurricane, Twin Slashes, and Flurry will be more than enough to keep you alive. If you want to be even nastier, get into PvP and unlock Caltrops and Vigor. Caltrops is another giant AoE DoT that slows enemies down while Vigor is probably the best stam-based heal in the game.

tl;dr 2H bad in PvE, go Dual Wield.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 16, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Oh poo poo, that rules. Last time I messed with Stamsorc dual wield had no healing/sustain. Ignore my post, do that.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
How hosed am I if I want to hit people with big swords though? I mean I've been looking around and it's all dual wield and bow but I still like my Greatsword and want to keep using one until I eventually go tank.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Morglon posted:

How hosed am I if I want to hit people with big swords though? I mean I've been looking around and it's all dual wield and bow but I still like my Greatsword and want to keep using one until I eventually go tank.

The only 2 classes where I think Two-Hander is any bit viable in PvE are Nightblade and Templar, mainly because both of those classes have no access to the Major Brutality buff in any of their class trees, and the heal comes in handy with Nightblade.

You'd be using Surprise Attack on a Nightblade and Biting Jabs on a Templar for bread-and-butter DPS.

As for PvP, 2Handers still reign supreme. Although a guy named Dubzug has a wicked sick PvP Stamsorc build based around dual wield.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Hey Goons,

I live in a god-forsaken desert which means that I am running EU hours. I'm also planning on playing a Stamina character and want to grind out Vigor on reaching level 10. Will faction play a big role in terms of how easy / hard it is to grind out AP until I get that skill, or does the fact that I'm running at 4 A.M. server time mean that every faction will be dead anyways? Anything I should know re: faction choice and PVP besides the helpful "Ebonheart Pact to PVP with goons" in the OP, which I totally read?

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Hey Goons,

I live in a god-forsaken desert which means that I am running EU hours. I'm also planning on playing a Stamina character and want to grind out Vigor on reaching level 10. Will faction play a big role in terms of how easy / hard it is to grind out AP until I get that skill, or does the fact that I'm running at 4 A.M. server time mean that every faction will be dead anyways? Anything I should know re: faction choice and PVP besides the helpful "Ebonheart Pact to PVP with goons" in the OP, which I totally read?

The Oceanic presence on the Azura's Star campaign is pretty big.

DC has their late night Asian invasion (around noon GMT time, so whatever that is for you) but even before that there's a decent Aussie presence.

As for the factions themselves, AD is kind of dead late-night, DC has the huge foreign zerg, and EP mostly has all the DC/AD alts wanting to farm the zerg/play as the underdogs. Even on the nights when DC has thoroughly flooded the map, there's still quite a lot of AP to be earned just defending the Home Keeps. Although lately it's been even better on EP because enough DC/AD have gotten fed up with the zerging that EP has actually had the numbers to 50/50 the map.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I have no idea what I'm doing but im in as @LordAdakos ( i think)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Scyantific posted:

Ok I held off on this because I couldn't phrase it right.

First off, anything in Battlemaster's Corner is obsolete garbage, ignore it.

Second, and fair trigger warning here, Two-Hander is obsolete when it comes to PvE with Stam Sorc. The main appeal it has is Momentum/Rally and that takes a long time to unlock at rank 42, plus with the changes to Surge, it's less worthwhile now that Wrecking Blow doesn't give gigantic heals.

So what do you run? Dual Wield. Not only does it give more weapon damage, it also opens up an additional item for set building, and now it comes with two heals very early in the tree. And contrary to what people say, you DO NOT need Maelstrom weapons to pull good DPS. I ran Agility stuff for DW and still kept up with the DPS of other people who ran at least one Maelstrom item.

So quick and dirty, here's what you do.

Levels 1-15
-Run dual one-handed weapons, start working on that DW skill line.
-Run all Medium armor
-Get both Twin Slashes and Flurry from the DW tree. Level these up and morph them to Blood Craze and Bloodthirst, respectively. Now you have heals to sustain you until you unlock Surge.
-Speaking of surge, make sure you level up the Storm Calling tree as fast as you can. Get Lightning Form from that tree, and level it up. Morph to Hurricane when it's leveled, probably the most brutal PBAoE in your arsenal, and probably the game.
-Begin leveling up Dark Magic and Daedric Summoning as well, for the passives and the skills Dark Exchange and Bound Armor.
-Start working on leveling Fighter's Guild as well for both Expert Hunter and Trap Beast.

At level 15, get yourself a bow and start working on that too.

Eventually you'll want to have your skills set up like this:
Flurry -> Rapid Strikes
Twin Slashes -> Rending Slashes
Lightning Form -> Hurricane
Poison Arrow -> Poison Injection
Volley -> Endless Hail
Surge -> Critical Surge
Bound Armor -> Bound Armaments
Dark Exchange -> Dark Deal
Trap Beast -> Rearming Trap
Whirlwind -> Steel Tornado
Evasion -> Shuffle
Expert Hunter -> Camouflaged Hunter

Ultimates:
Dawnbreaker -> Flawless Dawnbreaker for PvE, Dawnbreaker of Smiting for PvP
Lacerate -> Rend
Negate Magic -> Absorption Field
Overload -> Energy Overload (PRO-TIP: Activating Overload opens up a third skill bar that you can use, just slot whatever skills you want in that bar when you have Overload active)
Summon Storm Atronach -> Greater Storm Atronach

Your bars should look like this:
Bar 1 (DW): Rapid Strikes, Rending Slashes, Rearming Trap, Camo Hunter, Bound Armaments, U: Rend or Dawnbreaker
Bar 2 (Bow): Poison Injection, Endless Hail, Hurricane, Critical Surge, Bound Armaments, U: Energy Overload

Overload Additional Bar: Dark Deal, Razor Caltrops, Shuffle, Critical Surge, Bound Armaments

Dump all your attribute points into Stamina.

Once you have most of those skills unlocked and Surge unlocked, the constant ticks of damage from Volley, Hurricane, Twin Slashes, and Flurry will be more than enough to keep you alive. If you want to be even nastier, get into PvP and unlock Caltrops and Vigor. Caltrops is another giant AoE DoT that slows enemies down while Vigor is probably the best stam-based heal in the game.

tl;dr 2H bad in PvE, go Dual Wield.

Thanks for posting something I might want to respec into. Had I known Hurricane was even a thing (it replaced a different morph that featured heavily in the outdated builds I was looking at before), I'd have planned for something resembling this to begin with. As much fun as I'm having, the sheer lack of synergy in my current build has been gnawing at me.

Is it worth considering another weapon option for Bar 2 instead of Bow (I am really attached to sword & shield for some reason), or is it the best choice by far?

Edit: Also, now that I have some idea of what I'm doing, I wouldn't mind an invite to the goon crafting guilds. Not interested in PvP, and I'm not Ebonheart Pact anyway. @Rollersnake

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 15, 2016

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Hey Goons,

I'm in Korea for a few more months so there's usually me and a smattering of other goons holding down the "night shift".

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Scyantific posted:

apart from the damage shield that scales well, the gap closer, the empower source, the aoe execute, and immediate full heal, two-hander sucks

Two-hander's main strength is toughness, which is why it's still a good recommendation for people starting out. Once you have a few dozen points in hardy and elemental defender, then sure, dual wield works great. But dual wield's strength is AOE pre-execute. If you're getting better single-target dps on dual wield without maelstrom weapons, you are most certainly doing two-hander incorrectly. (Hint: where is empower in your build?)

The good news is that it's not a choice. You can two-hander/dual wield and get the best of both. Sure, you'd lose poison injection, but steel tornado+reverse slice is a hell of a combo.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

Thanks for posting something I might want to respec into. Had I known Hurricane was even a thing (it replaced a different morph that featured heavily in the outdated builds I was looking at before), I'd have planned for something resembling this to begin with. As much fun as I'm having, the sheer lack of synergy in my current build has been gnawing at me.

Is it worth considering another weapon option for Bar 2 instead of Bow (I am really attached to sword & shield for some reason), or is it the best choice by far?

Edit: Also, now that I have some idea of what I'm doing, I wouldn't mind an invite to the goon crafting guilds. Not interested in PvP, and I'm not Ebonheart Pact anyway. @Rollersnake

You can roll Sword and Board if you want to be a little more defensive, but usually Bow is best offensively since you can create some form of area denial/coverage with Volley and are able to keep the pressure on with Poison Injection.

Also you don't have to be strictly EP to roll with the main goon guild, we PvE more often than we do PvP. Especially right now since grouping in Cyrodiil is hosed.

Bustycops
Mar 3, 2010

Sup Lads

tgidieday posted:

Two-hander's main strength is toughness, which is why it's still a good recommendation for people starting out. Once you have a few dozen points in hardy and elemental defender, then sure, dual wield works great. But dual wield's strength is AOE pre-execute. If you're getting better single-target dps on dual wield without maelstrom weapons, you are most certainly doing two-hander incorrectly. (Hint: where is empower in your build?)

The good news is that it's not a choice. You can two-hander/dual wield and get the best of both. Sure, you'd lose poison injection, but steel tornado+reverse slice is a hell of a combo.

The part that always soured me about 2-Hander is it has a hell of a lot of noob traps that punish you if you spam or refresh skills the wrong way and it's hard to do under duress. There's so many fights where maintaining a proper Wrecking Blow > Heavy weave for any length of time is just ridiculously difficult because too much is going on and the first time a red circle forces you to cancel a Wrecking... ĦBon Voyage DPS!

By contrast you can spam Steel Tornado to your hearts content on add phases, and as long as all the DoTs are up it doesn't matter how haphazardly you're weaving in Flurry while dealing with dungeon mechanics; at least mediocre dps will be dealt and the self-heals will be pretty good too.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Bustycops posted:

Thoughtful two-hander impressions.

First, if you're having fun dual wielding, please continue. It was stated that two-hander is obsolete, and since that wasn't even right enough to be wrong, I responded.

Wrecking blow definitely has the hardest weave of any skill. You want a light weave, with the light attack injected near at the end of the animation (this was much easier to see before the animation changes). Done correctly, the time between wrecking blows is almost the same as spamming them, with no risk of screwing it up like with a heavy.

Of course that's hard to learn, so in the mean time, you can spam wrecking blow with no weave. It's a little less than optimal, but quite a bit better than a heavy weave (it self-empowers). You would want to get ultimate some other way (possibly light weaving a dot roughly every eight seconds).

Also, you should really only be block-cancelling out of wrecking blow for a telegraph (i.e. when you would be blocking anyway). Since you can move while in wrecking blow, you can just walk out of red circles while channeling. The typical red circle is just slightly smaller than wrecking blow's radius, so it won't affect your dps at all if you don't go too far.

Now, I have noticed that veteran dungeons are easier than they were. If low-damage hp sponge trash packs are the deliberate future of the game, then clearing dungeons will be all about aoe dps rather than boss fights or survivability. It's quite possible that dual wield will be the only way to go in future, and that two-hander really will be obsolete. But that day has not yet arrived.

e: Also, if they rewrote wrecking blow's empower to read "increases next attack weapon damage by 1500", I think people would consider it more carefully.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 15, 2016

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Hey, thanks, Scyantific, for that great stamsorc writeup. That was exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for, basic but detailed! I'm new enough to this game that I don't know all the acronyms or morphs, and most guides to setting up a character are either so vague as to be functionally useless, or so thick with theorycraft that I can't make heads or tails of it. Could I trouble you for recommendations for setting a magicka nightblade, or are there good resources out there (that don't assume you are max level and have a spreadsheet handy)?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

atomicgeek posted:

Help Me With Magicka Nightblade

The problem with looking up guides for classes is that most people (i.e. Deltia) don't think about the starting out parts of said guides. They just assume people want "push butan, win game" stuff. That being said:

Pour everything into Magicka, obviously. You'll want to focus on Light Armor, but for survivability, run 2 Heavy Armor pieces as well. It helps quite a bit.
Race choice would be Altmer, Dunmer, Breton, Argonian, in terms of potential. I chose Dunmer for the extra stamina, and Argonian is great if you want to run a Tank build alongside your damage setup.
Your Mundus Stone (like Skyrim's Standing Stones) will be Thief, which increases your Critical Rating, thereby increasing the amount of critical hits you land in a rotation.
Item traits will be Training while leveling, and once at the endgame, Divines on Armor, Sharpened on weapons.

Levels 1-15:
  • Get a destruction staff, preferably fire. You will not be using the skills from that specific skill line just yet, you're only going to be using it for the range and utility.
  • Get the first ability of each of the Nightblade class trees, Assassin's Blade, Cloak, and Strife. Strife is your main skill for dealing damage, Assassin's Blade is your execute (i.e. use it when targets are at <25% health), and Cloak is there to help you escape should you run into trouble.
  • As you level up your class trees, make sure to purchase all of the passive skills when you can. They help a lot.
  • Also make sure to purchase the remaining class skills as you go along. Magicka nightblades are probably the only playstyle that can get by with only their class skills, which is a great thing, and also helps them specialize in all roles simultaneously. My magblade pulls triple duty as Damage Dealer, Healer (nightblades have great off-heals), and Tank.
  • Purchase all of the passives in the Light Armor tree first, then focus on purchasing the passives in the Heavy Armor tree, specifically Juggernaut.

At level 15, begin investing into either Dual Wield if you want to focus on damage, or One-Hand and Shield if you want survivability. Eventually you'll want both of them maxed out. However, the only thing you will be targeting in the Dual Wield tree is the Twin Blade and Blunt passive, which increases your overall damage by 5% when you are using dual swords (which is what you'll be wanting to use as a magblade).

Eventually you'll want your skills to look like this:
Assassin's Blade -> Impale - This is your execute.
Teleport Strike -> Lotus Fan
Mark Target -> Reaper's Mark or Piercing Mark - The first is pretty decent for PvE, giving you Major Berserk if you kill a target affected by the mark, while Piercing Mark is great in PvP
Blur -> Mirage or Double Take - Mirage is great if you want to tank, because it gives you Minor Resolve and Minor Ward, in addition to giving you Major Evasion. Double Take is good if you want a quick burst of speed.
Grim Focus -> Merciless Resolve
Shadow Cloak -> Shadowy Disguise or Dark Cloak - The former grants you 100% critical on your next attack, while the latter grants Minor Protection after the cloak wears off
Veiled Strike -> Concealed Weapon
Path of Darkness -> Refreshing Path
Aspect of Terror -> Mass Hysteria
Summon Shade -> Shadow Image
Strife -> Funnel Health - This will be your main source of DPS. It is also a fantastic off-heal.
Agony -> Prolonged Suffering
Cripple -> Crippling Grasp - This will be your main source of Damage Over Time, also grants you Major Expedition
Siphoning Strikes -> Siphoning Attacks - This is what makes Nightblades really good. Having this skill active returns resources to you with both skills and light/heavy attacks. This is why you can run lower resource regeneration than most other classes.
Drain Power -> Sap Essence - This is your main Area of Effect ability. It also grants you Major Sorcery, increasing your spell damage by 20%

Other skills you might want to grab from outside the class skills:
Magelight -> Inner Light - This skill is huge. Not only does it give you extra Magicka, it gives you Major Prophecy which increases your Spell Critical by 10%. Also, with all the Mages Guild passives applied, it grants you Empower, giving your next attack a 20% increase in damage.
Entropy -> Structured Entropy - Another source of Major Entropy. Plus the morph gives you +8% Max Health. Use it if you're cheap and don't want to buy potions all the time.
Annulment -> Harness Magicka or Dampen - Great damage shield. The first morph returns magicka any time it blocks a magic-based attack, and the second morph increases its strength based on the numer of Light Armor pieces you're wearing
Wall of Elements -> Elemental Blockade - Only really useful if you have a Maelstrom Fire Staff. Nonetheless it's still a decent AoE with a good coverage.
Trap Beast -> Rearming Trap - The only source of Minor Force that can be used freely. Minor Force increases your Critical Damage by 10%

Ultimates:
Death Stroke -> Soul Harvest
Consuming Shadows -> Veil of Blades
Soul Shred -> Soul Tether
Meteor -> Shooting Star
Soul Strike -> Soul Assault
Elemental Storm -> Elemental Rage

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 16, 2016

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Should I buy this game?

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
How about some advice for max level PvE magDK?

I kind of blundered my way to cp 200 but I really have no clue about min maxing in this game. Skills, rotations, items to hunt for, anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Scoss posted:

How about some advice for max level PvE magDK?

I kind of blundered my way to cp 200 but I really have no clue about min maxing in this game. Skills, rotations, items to hunt for, anything.

You might want to start with what race and what playstyle you're interested in. Magicka? Stamina?