Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

At first I thought Lex was just spinning a story about going to the future, but apparently he did? Uh okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

howe_sam posted:

At first I thought Lex was just spinning a story about going to the future, but apparently he did? Uh okay.

Lex survived the annihilation of all existence across the multiverse by using a Sharpie. Do not doubt what that man can do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lex is smitten :3:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it was very funny how Andrea has super powers but she only ever uses them for business related reasons.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

This is perhaps the least urgency I've ever felt from a planned final season, it's insane

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

I thought it was very funny how Andrea has super powers but she only ever uses them for business related reasons.

I wonder if they are even going to resolve her shadow amulet powers or whatever.

ShakeZula posted:

This is perhaps the least urgency I've ever felt from a planned final season, it's insane

Yea I was just thinking about this too. I wanted to say low stakes, but that isn't accurate. It's just a very odd feeling final season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I was wondering this episode, how does Alex make a living? She doesn't have a day job.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Something I was wondering this episode, how does Alex make a living? She doesn't have a day job.

Government severance? :shrug:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I mean I know it seems a little on the nose with the totem stuff but this season feels full on magical realism

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I think Nia and Kelly are the only ones left who do have day jobs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird but I was flipping through Netflix and for some reason they've already put up the first half of this season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Huh, well :rip: William

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I have really lost track of what the ever-changing alien metaphor is now. Like, it was immigrants, and then maybe LBGTQ people, and now I think they're using Esme being an alien as a thing about special needs children? gently caress this is all dumb.

even a 2 hour finale doesn't feel long enough to wrap up all these plots but thank God it's coming because this show needs to be ended in a bad way. Lex is the only thing carrying this show along.

edit: Also, gently caress's sake writers, if you're working with COVID restrictions, don't set a scene in a nightclub.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

I have really lost track of what the ever-changing alien metaphor is now. Like, it was immigrants, and then maybe LBGTQ people, and now I think they're using Esme being an alien as a thing about special needs children? gently caress this is all dumb.

I mean, a thing can stand for more than one thing. Maybe not all at once, but that's not quite the case here.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

TwoPair posted:

edit: Also, gently caress's sake writers, if you're working with COVID restrictions, don't set a scene in a nightclub.
Wasn't Lena able to score them a private room at the hottest nightclub in town? That was why it had to be that night.

And I think the thesis of the show is that alien is just a stand in for being othered in all its many forms, and rejecting that is the goal. It's basic as hell because the alien and other are essentially synonymous, but that's Supergirl for you, heart on its sleeve, broad brush in hand.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Brainy :smith:

TwoPair posted:

Lex is the only thing carrying this show along.

:hmmyes:

e:
https://i.imgur.com/31RRyhU.mp4

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

TwoPair posted:

even a 2 hour finale doesn't feel long enough to wrap up all these plots but thank God it's coming because this show needs to be ended in a bad way. Lex is the only thing carrying this show along.

Can superheros get COVID?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Not the original version, but probably the new mutation of it now.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the problem with the Kara/Alex scene is pretty much the same as Kelly earlier this season where they want a character to make a big stand about something but didn't give them someone to actually stand against. Also the whole thing with Alex, who is not an alien, talking over Kara, who is an alien, about what can help an alien child growing up with powers.

This also has the problem of the whole issue becoming completely muddied when superpowers are involved. Because I would argue that a child does need something to help dampen their abilities until they're older and can better control them. We've already Esme losing control multiple times with nobody really being that much help in talking her down.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

But Alex is her mom and knows best!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Legitimately have no idea how they're going to achieve any kind of satisfying wrap-up in a two-hour finale.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But Alex is her mom and knows best!

Cheerfully withdrawn!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
In addition to being Mom, Alex is also thinking in terms of her own experiences and not wanting to have to hide what makes her different even if it’s not the same situation. I get why this would cause a disagreement, she and Kara both have different experiences.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Also Esme is frequently gaining new, often unfamiliar powersets which she can't control so it's not at all unreasonable for her to want to switch them off sometimes. Poor kid needs some stability in her life.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
There's also a big difference between the glasses that Kara was offering and the dog shock collar Esme had at the group home.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LongDarkNight posted:

There's also a big difference between the glasses that Kara was offering and the dog shock collar Esme had at the group home.

Yeah, Kara wasn't saying that she should pretend to be human, just have her dampen her powers.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Good Luck Everyone. Let's hope they at least stick the landing.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I’m calling it now, Esme’s powers are going to be crucial to take down Nyxly and Lex. Also, Overgirl is going to come back, die, and everyone will assume that it was Supergirl who perished, leaving Kara to live her life of crime fighting behind.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I got potstickers with dinner tonight.

The show's tried its damndest, but I still don't see Nyxly as the biggest threat Kara's ever faced.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Is Kara going to go Super Saiyan?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Kara only realized stealing the sun's power was a terrible idea seconds before the transfer was finished? Yeeeesh.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay this leaves 44 minutes for snacks and karaoke

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

gently caress Yeah, Cat Grant.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Alex’s wedding tux is superb

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Yay Kara sings

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That's a spectacular outfit Brainy is wearing, and good call having Kara and Winn sing one last time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay but Lena’s purple pants

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I still think Kara ditching her secret identity is dumb. But lol at Cat finally telling Kira she knows.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Aww.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I won't belabor the point about Kara's secret identity because who wants that. On the whole I think they stuck the landing for the characters very well.

Fare thee well Supergirl, you were an astonishingly uneven show, but you had your moments.