Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
CW writers don't know how anything works. Law, corporate procedure, science, engineering, medicine... Anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I'm officially hyped for every DCCW show this season.

OK the premier for Legends hasn't aired yet, but it looks to be even more insanely stupid than last season in the best ways.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

It hasn't been talked about much but Alex's little bit of kung fu in the climactic fight was pretty awesome.

That was a highlight for sure, especially after she had so little screen time that episode.

I think she might've done it last season too, but I love that take-down she does against larger opponents (which is most opponents because she's so small). It's the one where she wraps her legs around the neck and pulls her entire body toward the ground. When she pulled it on Corben I definitely fist-pumped.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Aleph Null posted:

Also, I want Constantine to come back. He needs his own show again set firmly in the Arrowverse. Heck, Arrow and Flash are both in situations where he'd be helpful right about now.

He actually appeared in a single episode during the previous season of Arrow to help him expose the main villain's weakness. Ollie introduced him as an old ally from his years away from Star City, so he has a precedent of being established in-universe already. It's a shame they wasted him on such a bad plotline, but Constantine was a lot of fun to watch (even for someone like me who isn't familiar with the character).

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

It's that weird TV cliche where local PD are automatically at odds with the Feds.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

With all of the social commentary in this episode, I can't help but dub this "tonight: on a 'very special' episode of Supergirl..."

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

White Powergirl.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Kind of wonder if their setting up Alex and Maggie as a couple on the show.

I didn't want to be the one to say it, but those were the vibes I was getting too.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

That clanging sound on the knock-out blow was really satisfying. I'm glad to see the fight scenes are still holding up pretty well.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Mortanis posted:

I feel like Winn had a bit of a downgrade this season, going from best friend, confidant and tech guy (and early last season love-sick puppy) to basically ONLY the tech guy. He exists to show up, quip a bit and solve the episode problem with technobabble. I prefer that to the moping over Kara poo poo early last season but the character feels diminished a lot this season.

Winn had that great scene with Jimmy where he was trying to talk him out of being a hero. I think now that the show has settled into this season on a new network, Winn is going to be serving more as a voice of reason. This is something that a lot of characters in the show (especially Kara and Jimmy) need right now.

As long as he still gets his techie quips, I'm fine if they don't ultimately decide to take him that direction.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I guess it comes down to preference, because I find Flash the worst of the bunch this year. That's not to say Flash has been bad, but the other three are really hitting it out of the park right now. I've just never found Flash to be nearly as good as people make it out to be. It's been as flat-out stupid as Legends since the beginning, but seems to take itself more seriously every season rather than less.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Alex was definitely the most compelling narrative in the episode. I'm pretty bummed out for her right now.

Guardian's suit was pretty sweet, though. Much better than Spartan's on Arrow.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Re-posting this from BSS, but this is a really cute story that proves how important it can be to show kids people like themselves on TV:
http://www.vox.com/identities/2016/12/5/13834432/lgbtq-representation-media-supergirl

Hey! It's my hometown! I've been to that comic book store before.

I'm glad that there has been such positive reactions to that storyline right now. This kind of thing usually implodes violently on the internet.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

what planet is this?

Isn't it the one from Agents of Shield, but with a red camera filter instead of a blue one?

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

"I am NOT a redshirt."

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, she's never seemed like much of a credible threat. Though you could make that same claim about most of Supergirl's enemies.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Not even ten minutes in, and we got Supergirl punching a Martian through a building. This rules.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'd actually find it so incredibly refreshing if Kara never entered another romantic relationship. It would be really novel for a CW show, and would be super cool. Kara should remain a rad lady who's friends with everyone.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

WarLocke posted:

Also, did I forget how/why Maxwell Lord was written out of the show or was he just dropped?

As I understand/remember it, the actor wasn't able to schedule around shooting in Vancouver.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

It was kind of refreshing to see all the relationship drama work out well in the end. Nice to see Winn get some play.

Poor James...

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

That was a pretty slick move by J'onn.

I'm also so stoked that Dean Cain has been on screen so much lately.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

At this point, I can't help but wonder if Alex will be stuck in space for the next few episodes. Probably not though, as there are still ~10 minutes of the episode left to restore the status quo.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'm kind of interested to learn more about the Daxamites straight from the source. A hedonistic monarchical society sounds pretty interesting. It'll be nice to learn about them from a source with a less negative bias.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

That ended up mostly being a by-the-numbers villain of the week plot, but I have to admit that it was really spiced up by the usual Supergirl style banter. It was nice seeing James again though. That being said, I'm much more looking forward to next week's episode because this show consistently nails the sibling relationship between Kara and Alex.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, it really doesn't seem like a credible threat. That being said, I think the last few episodes are going to be really cool, and I like the idea of a surprise alien invasion. The Daxamites will probably be able to drum up some support among the persecuted alien population on Earth too, so that could be interesting.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

If Kara got the munchies from silver Kryptonite, there would be no pot stickers or ice cream left in National City.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Lord Packinham posted:

I mean does anyone even care about the trailer for season 3. I thought that's what people were talking about when I saw all the posts, but it's been buried under all this.

The trailer had very little new footage to discuss, so I guess we defaulted to our usual hiatus-mode poo poo flinging. It seems to happen in a lot of TVIV threads.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

'Jane the Virgin' is bonkers, and Yael Grobglas is gonna be perfect as a Supergirl villain. She can be cartoonishly evil so easily.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

That episode had some of the best sisterhood scenes, and I'm glad they had a lot more down-to-earth scenes of people dealing with mundane life stuff. Looks like next episode is gonna have a lot more crazy sci-fi stuff going though, so that'll be fun too.

It really seems like the writers are handling a possible Maggie-Alex break-up with the subtlety of a hundred pianos falling down a flight of stairs, so that kinda sucks.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

sunday at work posted:

Subtle or not I really hope they at least make it a reasonable break up and not just drama. It's Alex's first relationship with a women, they hadn't dated that long and differences in wanting kids to say nothing of wedding entertainment are legit things that couples don't consider when the get engaged quickly that can set up a marriage for failure. I don't want them to break up but at least handle it well.

My thoughts exactly. If they absolutely have to break up (which, given the rapid nature of their relationship, actually does make more sense to me), they better do it well. Not just because I want to see good television, but also because if they gently caress it up there's going to be a brand new LGBTQ poo poo-storm surrounding the CW again.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I'm just glad someone besides Cat Grant saw through her "disguise."

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Windows 98 posted:

Can anyone explain to me how Mon El could have left the same area of space as Kara, at roughly the same time as her, and arrived god knows how many years after her, yet seems to have no signs of aging? Kara was stuck in the Phantom Zone which is why she stayed a kid there for years. Mon El did not go into the Phantom Zone to my knowledge. Why isn’t Mon El like 50?

Direct evidence of this being weird is the fact that Superman himself aged to 20 something by the time Kara landed. Mon El was traveling for like 40 loving years longer and is still hot.

I kind of assumed that Daxamites have a different aging process or life span.

Also, I like bearded Mon-el a lot better than baby-face Mon-el.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

Ugh pushing Lames so hard.

I am very much in favor of this.

Also, Kara's apartment is so insanely decorated that it took me a minute to realize that's where they were.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

I don't normally have such visceral reactions to television, but when Reign curb-stomped Kara's chest while she was bleeding out on the ground elicited an audible gasp from me. Yeah, some of the fight choreography was a bit spotty, but drat they really nailed the weight of the battle.

After Arrow's S03 mid-season finale though I couldn't help but joke to myself that she's going to get better within an episode from some magical green tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Yea this is what I was thinking of, not the half naked one. Other options could be Batgirl, Huntress, Zatanna.

They already dropped the ball with Huntress on 'Arrow' but seeing as this is another Earth, I suppose they could get a mulligan here.